DJI Air Controller crashed during flight.
676 7 2018-11-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sprotty
lvl.1
Flight distance : 24692 ft

United Kingdom

I was about 5 minutes into a flight, with the drone less than 70m away in line of sight when the conntection just dropped.
The drone started its RTH, but missed by about 5m and got 'stuck' over a netted area (I guess it figured it was a bad landing spot), so it just hovered their.
The DJI app on the iphone was still running OK, but without a connection.
I restarted the DJI app but nothing changed.
I tried powering down the controller, but it didn't respond, and stayed on, but unresponsive (I tried this a number of times).
After trying and failing to physically get to the drone for about 5 minutes I tied to power down the controller again. This time it powered down, and on startup it re-connected with the drone, and I was able to move it from over the netted area and it completed its RTH manover (all be it in the wrong place).

So 2 issues,
  • The controller seemed to crash, and worse would not power down.
  • the RTH was way off (in an area with good visiblity and lots of irregular patterns).

Anyone else seen issues like this?

2018-11-3
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi Sprotty,

Mayby usefull to upload your flightlog....so we can see the performance of the RTH procedure and comment on your text above.

cheers
JJB
2018-11-4
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

Haven't had the problem. Hope you get an answer.
In the meantime it would be a good idea to upload your flight log as JJB suggested.
2018-11-4
Use props
Sprotty
lvl.1

United Kingdom

JJBspark Posted at 11-4 12:25
Hi Sprotty,

Mayby usefull to upload your flightlog....so we can see the performance of the RTH procedure and comment on your text above.

Are the logs on the iPhone or the drone itself?
2018-11-5
Use props
Sprotty
lvl.1

United Kingdom

JJBspark Posted at 11-4 12:25
Hi Sprotty,

Mayby usefull to upload your flightlog....so we can see the performance of the RTH procedure and comment on your text above.

OK after much messing about I managed to get the logs into AirData

Up to the controller crashing.

After controller reboot.
2018-11-5
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Sprotty Posted at 11-5 09:09
OK after much messing about I managed to get the logs into AirData

Up to the controller crashing.

Hi Sprotty,

Very interesting case....

You started with only 7 sats on the MA. No position in your MA but after about 3 seconds.
HomePoint was recorded (uh), why only HP and not the Drone position at the same tinme....because its data from the same gps receiver!
Distance indicating starts from zero to 25.6 feet, see my chart. Normally it starts from zero  - 0.1 -  0.2 - etc  (as flying away from HP)
See the map for positions, you can tell if take-off position is correct on the map.

Landing spot is the same (more or less) distance as recorded at start of your flight.

My brain is making &^#$&!^$# now....try to understand it.

But solution is easy; start take-off with 11 or more sats, hover and check if HP is set.

I put the 2 flights into one, 190 seconds no connection ; in that time ofcourse nothing written in the file so your RTH cannot be analyzed.

cheers JJB

analysis1.png
analysis2.png
analysis3.png
2018-11-5
Use props
Sprotty
lvl.1

United Kingdom

JJBspark Posted at 11-5 12:11
Hi Sprotty,

Very interesting case....

Thanks for the analysis

The drone was turned on at about the 'g' on AutoLanding.
It took off from the 'AutoLanding spot' pin.
it returned to Homepoint pin and failed to land (as there is a net which it would not allow it to decend onto).
Once I got control I manually pushed back to the 'AutoLanding spot' pin and it auto landed.

I guess the poor sat fix on take off explains the bad return to home position.

But it still doesn't clear up the controller crash.

Is it possible it tried to do a software upgrade on the controller while inflight? Or maybe the controller just crashed. Do you know of a more forcful way to reset the controller other than the normal short press long press on the power button?

Thanks Simon
2018-11-6
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Sprotty Posted at 11-6 00:26
Thanks for the analysis

The drone was turned on at about the 'g' on AutoLanding.

Hi Sprotty,

Yes, reading your text ; mayby not so weird ; turned on at a spot and HP is set to another point due to low sat count. Sounds logical to me.

Failed to land; well it did ok i think....when its not safe to land than it will hover.

Nope, as far as i know there is only one way to shut/startup a RC.
Why did it 'crashed'?  don`t know this.

cheers
JJB

2018-11-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules