M600 pro propeller screws popped off, crashed
4700 6 2018-11-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
podos
lvl.2

Canada

Hi everyone,

We run 2 M600 pro and one M600 for surveying with a payload respecting the specifications.
In the last 2-3 months we had at least 4 occurences of a propeller screw head popping off during flights on the pro version. After the first time, we started inspecting the propellers between each flights and replacing the ones with missing screw heads with a whole new set of propellers. This week we weren't so lucky and both screws on the same propeller broke during the flight causing a crash. We are sure that this was the cause of the crash because all propellers are broken but still attached to the rotor except one which is gone and you can still see screws in their holes (see picture). Plus, we had the alert on DJI GO saying the drone was behaving abnormaly due to missing or dammaged rotor then we crashed a few seconds later.

We want to prevent this kind of accident from ever happening again. Is there any maintenance that DJI recommends to inspect these screws and prevent them from breaking? Seems like it is a common thing on M600 pros... We are now planning on changing the screws every 5 to 10 hours of flying and are wondering what is the accurate amount of torque to apply?

If there is no solution to ensure these screws do not break again we cannot afford to operate the M600 again as the risk of crashing on a structure or injuring people is too high.

Thank you

IMG_20181030_144623.jpg
2018-11-3
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Good day Podos. I am sorry to know what happened to your previous flight. Since there is a crash that happened on the drone. The best thing you need to do is to contact DJI Support at www.dji.com/support  for additional help and for analysis. Thank you for your support.

2018-11-4
Use props
Picture Factory
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5059882 ft
  • >>>
United States

I had the same issue happen and posted it on the 30th of October. Got the same response from DJI. This sounds like a possible defect that should be taken care of by DJI!
2018-11-9
Use props
ALIVINGSTON
lvl.3
Flight distance : 154928 ft
United States

I posted a previous experience.  We replaced all of our screws with a thicker head and haven't had a problem since.
2018-12-6
Use props
Nikolay Atanasov
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3755928 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

Hello, Isee it's an old post and I'm sorry for you'r loss! I'm wondering wasn't it supposed to fly with 5 props in a case like this, how much was the load? Did it simply fell out of the sky?
2019-9-1
Use props
PAKman0033
lvl.1
Flight distance : 256 ft

Oh NO!  This is not good news for I just bought one for flying with the XT2.  I was told that the bird would fly with 5 motors?  Not?
2019-9-19
Use props
podos
lvl.2

Canada

The M600 will NOT keep flying if there is a missing propeller and it is towing a payload. In our case, it just started spiraling and crashed within 3 seconds.

We have though about replacing the screws ourselves but the only way to test the solution is to fly with it and I'm not sure we are ready to take that risk. What we found out is that newer and thighter propellers have a greater chance of breaking that looser ones. So I guess when you take a brand new propeller kit out of the bag you should loosen the screws? Great engineering job...
Our old M600 v1 never had this problem and the propellers seem more robust, looks like DJI changed the design at some point, probably to save some pennies.
2019-12-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules