2648 17 2018-11-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nixuspix
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2864974 ft
  • >>>
Latvia

Have returned recently from travel to Namibia. Went there from Latvia and for the first time abroad was asked for compass calibration. Before was in Florida and did not need to calibrate compass and have flown there safely. So my guess is that the only relevant reason for compass calibration is the changing of hemispheres - from North to South and vise versa. To check this switched on my Spark when was back in Latvia and yes, it demanded calibration again. Have decided not to calibrate and not to takr off, since i am travelling to New Zealand in mid february 2019 and i guess that the Spark will not ask for calibration after Namibia, when will be back to South Hemisphere in New Zealand.Will be interesting to check. Just my thoughts

2018-11-3
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hello there. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. It is recommended to calibrate your compass if you will change the location or the new location is farther than 31 miles (50km) away from the last flight location. Please make sure to avoid calibrating your compass where magnetic interference may occur. If you have further question, please don't hesitate to contact us. Thank you and have a safe flight always.
2018-11-3
Use props
Sparkz71
lvl.4
Flight distance : 24259 ft
Australia

DJI Natalia Posted at 11-3 14:48
Hello there. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. It is recommended to calibrate your compass if you will change the location or the new location is farther than 31 miles (50km) away from the last flight location. Please make sure to avoid calibrating your compass where magnetic interference may occur. If you have further question, please don't hesitate to contact us. Thank you and have a safe flight always.

DJI Natalia, with respect, the manual states "Only calibrate the compass when the DJI GO 4 app or the status indicator prompt you to do so"  If DJI recommends otherwise, every 50km, it should be in clearly stated in the manual.   
2018-11-3
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Isn't it covered in the latest version of the manual?
2018-11-4
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Technically a calibration is nothing else than just a calibration! if you like to do before each flight, no harm to you compass system as is it just a calibration and nothing else!

Only be very carefull not to calibrate in an magnetic interference situation.

There is ofcourse no counter in DJI software wich counts number of calibration, let say after 10 times within few days it will calibrate errors in the system.....
If the calibration is done OK, your drone will use the compass system as it is ; that is GOOD.

Cheers
JJB
2018-11-4
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Sparkz71 Posted at 11-3 20:16
DJI Natalia, with respect, the manual states "Only calibrate the compass when the DJI GO 4 app or the status indicator prompt you to do so"  If DJI recommends otherwise, every 50km, it should be in clearly stated in the manual.

Hi there. I appreciate your opinion regarding that matter. Actually, it's already indicated to other manuals. No worries, I'll raise this concern to our R&D department for the update. Thanks for your understanding and support.
2018-11-4
Use props
nixuspix
Second Officer
  • >>>
Latvia

But why to calibrate if the drone doesn't ask to? No matter 50km or 2000km. I always am trying to calibrateif i am asked to and never had the any issues with this approach.
2018-11-4
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

nixuspix Posted at 11-4 08:50
But why to calibrate if the drone doesn't ask to? No matter 50km or 2000km. I always am trying to calibrateif i am asked to and never had the any issues with this approach.

As I mentioned above, you will need to calibrate the compass if you will change location. Please do compass calibration if the app asks you and if you will change the location that is farther than 50km from the old location. Thanks.
2018-11-4
Use props
ssylca44
First Officer
Flight distance : 434721 ft
Canada

Hello nixuspix,

My understanding is that compass calibration is to compensate for the variations in the earth magnetic field and true North, either in the North or South hemisphere.
2018-11-4
Use props
nixuspix
Second Officer
  • >>>
Latvia

DJI Natalia Posted at 11-4 09:20
As I mentioned above, you will need to calibrate the compass if you will change location. Please do compass calibration if the app asks you and if you will change the location that is farther than 50km from the old location. Thanks.

Dear DJI Natalia!
What the magic is in number 50? Why if further than 50km, but not 20, 30 or 70?
2018-11-4
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

nixuspix Posted at 11-4 12:10
Dear DJI Natalia!
What the magic is in number 50? Why if further than 50km, but not 20, 30 or 70?

Hi, I will need to clarify this first and will forward your concern to our R&D department for clarification. Thanks for your understanding.
2018-11-4
Use props
Sparkz71
lvl.4
Flight distance : 24259 ft
Australia

DJI Natalia Posted at 11-4 08:46
Hi there. I appreciate your opinion regarding that matter. Actually, it's already indicated to other manuals. No worries, I'll raise this concern to our R&D department for the update. Thanks for your understanding and support.

Thanks for replying.
Please provide a link to the other manuals for Spark that you are referring to with the same information? I can only read what DJI provide online in the latest official manual.
I only have the following manual for Spark to define the compass requirements:
https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... 0Manual%20V1.6-.pdf

Your advise is not published in the Spark manual & only says to calibrate when requested by the app. There is nothing to say otherwise.
If the consumer follows the rules to the documents provided, then DJI shift their position & reply with rubbish when a fault occurs?

With all the BS, DJI is another product, like ZTE, that will be rejected from western countries unless they follow the law.

2018-11-4
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

In 2018, I've flown from the US (Arizona) twice to Europe and once to Alaska and never was asked by the app to calibrate...so I didn't.  Sparky flew fine with NO compass errors.
2018-11-4
Use props
RobG0007
lvl.4

South Africa

Not sure if the northern / southern hemisphere theory is correct. I did not get a calibration request on the app and did not do one after travelling from South Africa to the UK (a bit more than 50km). All my flights in the UK were without any issue. I have only had one calibration request since doing it originally in Nov 2017, and that was within 50km of the original calibration site?
2018-11-4
Use props
Flighty
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1977175 ft
Croatia

Calibrating the compass is an old issue on this forum, once again only calibrate when the App request's it!!!
2018-11-4
Use props
nixuspix
Second Officer
  • >>>
Latvia

Rustic17 Posted at 11-4 21:22
In 2018, I've flown from the US (Arizona) twice to Europe and once to Alaska and never was asked by the app to calibrate...so I didn't.  Sparky flew fine with NO compass errors.

Right and this approves my consumption
2018-11-5
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Sparkz71 Posted at 11-4 20:35
Thanks for replying.
Please provide a link to the other manuals for Spark that you are referring to with the same information? I can only read what DJI provide online in the latest official manual.
I only have the following manual for Spark to define the compass requirements:

Hi. I totally understand your point and I respect your opinion. Just to clarify my answer, this will suit for all drones, but actually the different the aircraft, the compass type or the materials may differ, but the principle is the same for all the aircraft. Whether we need to calibrate compass or not depend on the notice or prompt on the APP, if there is no notice, and we suggest Customer to do as user manual said. Thanks for your understanding.
2018-11-5
Use props
djiuser_eKymXvGYm7iR
lvl.1

Germany

Hello there. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. Lucky Patcher 9Apps VidMate
2018-12-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules