Low Noise Props + Polar ND Filter = Gimbal Shake
710 8 2018-11-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Nancy SEO
lvl.3
Flight distance : 434849 ft
United States

I'd completely forgotten I had a set of the low-noise props. I popped them on yesterday. I had a polar ND filter on the bird, and as soon as I lifted off and was doing pre-flight checks, I noticed the gimbal trembling. Then I got the Gimabal Shake error message.

I put the bird back down on the ground, removed the filter, fired her up and lifted off. Normal.

I swapped out props to the originals, put the ND filter on again, lit off the drone and lifted off. Normal ops.

Put the low noise props back on the drone, put the ND filter on again, powered up, lifted off, same gimbal shake and error message.

I gave up the combination at that point and just flew the props.

Anyone else ever had this particular combination? It's just a minor PITA. Just curious. Apparently the two don't play well together.
2018-11-5
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi, sorry for any inconvenience caused. Can you please try to calibrate your gimbal? Please make sure to attach the low-noise propellers and ND filter properly to the aircraft to avoid any issue. Should you have further question, please let me know. Thank you.
2018-11-5
Use props
Nancy SEO
lvl.3
United States

Thank you, I double checked the ND filter fit. Didn't calibrate the gimbal. Props were attached correctly, because one of the pre-flight checks I do is to make sure they are on securely. When the wx clears up here, I'll do a gimbal calibration.
2018-11-5
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Nancy SEO Posted at 11-5 13:19
Thank you, I double checked the ND filter fit. Didn't calibrate the gimbal. Props were attached correctly, because one of the pre-flight checks I do is to make sure they are on securely. When the wx clears up here, I'll do a gimbal calibration.

You're most welcome. Please keep us posted for further help. Thanks.
2018-11-5
Use props
Mgozer
Second Officer
Switzerland

have you modified the Gain settings according to the low noise props?
2018-11-8
Use props
Nancy SEO
lvl.3
United States

Mgozer Posted at 11-8 02:24

Oh, good point - I have not. I'll play around with that. Thanks for the reminder!
2018-11-8
Use props
BobDoLe
lvl.3
Flight distance : 763094 ft
United States

Mgozer Posted at 11-8 02:24

is that necessary on current firmware????
2018-11-9
Use props
BobDoLe
lvl.3
Flight distance : 763094 ft
United States

BobDoLe Posted at 11-9 16:05
is that necessary on current firmware????

i can answer my own question..
yes it is very necessary even on current firmware
default gain settings = gimbal twerkfest  and gimbal shake errors almost immediately for me.
this was with low noise props and an almost weightless sandmarc nd/pl filter.
2018-11-10
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4698533 ft
United States

BobDoLe Posted at 11-10 08:18
i can answer my own question..
yes it is very necessary even on current firmware
default gain settings = gimbal twerkfest  and gimbal shake errors almost immediately for me.

have a mavic pro with the low noise props bought from DJI dealer..

with  neewer filters no bounce or errors with gains set at default 100

I too had read they needed to be down around 90 but found that the mavic was sluggish there and put them back up.. flew in 15-20mph breeze this am.. and its back to aggressive position keeping.. actually might try 100+ no shake, warnings or jello...

I have seen reports that 'fake' low noise props with softer plastic tend to be the issue now.. dont know if a firmware update for the pro makes a difference or not.. I am on .04.0100
2018-11-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules