Mavic Pro Platinum Owners - can you replicate this behavior?
102761 102761 2018-11-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GrizzlyAK
lvl.2
United States

Mgozer Posted at 12-12 06:53
In addition, I am disappointed by the absence of the administrators/dji staff in this topic.

Hey, Mgozer, didn’t know if your last response was directed at me, but my first drone was 03, and I’ve never flown any FW earlier than that. Everything I’ve seen since then has the defect.

Also, I too am disappointed at the absence of DJI Admins or tech support on their forum. Maybe they take a hands off approach like Adobe does and just hosts a “user-to-user” forum and then watch silently from afar to glean whatever information they can (and in Adobe’s case, let its customers be their SW test team).  
2018-12-12
Use props
Virgil Quick
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1074104 ft
Canada

DJI administrators are most conspicuous by their silence.
2018-12-12
Use props
MrArcher
lvl.4
Flight distance : 401706 ft
United States

Umm, just as a quick side note, the Forum Administrators no doubt have read the thread, but are NOT actual software engineers - And have ZERO power to force anything. They can only highlight and report issues to the appropriate channels, but unless the technical support supervisors and managers determine that is an issue that requires action, there is not much else the Admins here can do.  I'm not saying this is not a worthy issue that needs some attention, but laying blame on the forum babysitters is a bit misguided.
2018-12-14
Use props
Zsolti
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1882113 ft
Romania

Same thing happening with my Mavic Pro. I didn't think too much about it until I saw this thread. I thought I did something on the controller that resulted in the "jerk". It can be annoying when you are trying to do a smooth shot using the yaw and the gimbal tilt. I didn't see this issue until recently and I hope DJI fixes it.
2018-12-14
Use props
GrizzlyAK
lvl.2
United States

Zsolti Posted at 12-14 14:42
Same thing happening with my Mavic Pro. I didn't think too much about it until I saw this thread. I thought I did something on the controller that resulted in the "jerk". It can be annoying when you are trying to do a smooth shot using the yaw and the gimbal tilt. I didn't see this issue until recently and I hope DJI fixes it.

Hopefully! The more people who identify it, the better chance we have of a FW update to address it. It took me a while to track it down, and I bet plenty of others MPP owners are thinking their own ruined footage is due to user error as well.
2018-12-14
Use props
GrizzlyAK
lvl.2
United States

MrArcher Posted at 12-14 09:15
Umm, just as a quick side note, the Forum Administrators no doubt have read the thread, but are NOT actual software engineers - And have ZERO power to force anything. They can only highlight and report issues to the appropriate channels, but unless the technical support supervisors and managers determine that is an issue that requires action, there is not much else the Admins here can do.  I'm not saying this is not a worthy issue that needs some attention, but laying blame on the forum babysitters is a bit misguided.

Oh, I bet they are watching. They just don’t have anything to report. I see on Adobe a lot of silence until something interesting comes up, then I see SW engineers, lead product developers, and even the product manager chime in on the forums.
2018-12-14
Use props
Zsolti
Second Officer
Romania

GrizzlyAK Posted at 12-14 23:37
Oh, I bet they are watching. They just don’t have anything to report. I see on Adobe a lot of silence until something interesting comes up, then I see SW engineers, lead product developers, and even the product manager chime in on the forums.

It's not just the Platinum unfortunately as it happened on my MP too
2018-12-16
Use props
GrizzlyAK
lvl.2
United States

Zsolti Posted at 12-16 05:31
It's not just the Platinum unfortunately as it happened on my MP too

I thought it might. Thanks for confirming. Luckily, it can be fixed with just a FW update, once DJI provides one.
2018-12-16
Use props
Mgozer
Second Officer
Switzerland

Zsolti Posted at 12-14 14:42
Same thing happening with my Mavic Pro. I didn't think too much about it until I saw this thread. I thought I did something on the controller that resulted in the "jerk". It can be annoying when you are trying to do a smooth shot using the yaw and the gimbal tilt. I didn't see this issue until recently and I hope DJI fixes it.

Right, but I mean it would have been nice to have an admin joining this discussion, at least just to make us know the issue has been notified to the software dept.
2018-12-17
Use props
GrizzlyAK
lvl.2
United States

Mgozer Posted at 12-17 02:05
Right, but I mean it would have been nice to have an admin joining this discussion, at least just to make us know the issue has been notified to the software dept.

I just got an email back from DJI concerning my complaint case. It said the following:

Thank you for contacting DJI support.

Your concerns and requests have been well received and escalated to a higher level. We will contact you through phone or email within 48 working hours as of this email.

We appreciate your patience and understanding while reviewing your concerns and requests.

I'll post here once I've been contacted.
2018-12-17
Use props
EdM
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1491814 ft
  • >>>
United States

What happens if you don't let it jump back but slowly return the wheel to center?
2018-12-18
Use props
GrizzlyAK
lvl.2
United States

EdM Posted at 12-18 06:02
What happens if you don't let it jump back but slowly return the wheel to center?

It still occurs, just not as violently as shown in the video. It is plenty bad enough, though, to show up on your nice smooth video. That’s how I discovered it in the first place. I was using very smooth movements, and at first thought it was the gimbal getting physically hung up on something. The test as shown just easily demonstrates the underlying problem.
2018-12-18
Use props
Mgozer
Second Officer
Switzerland

I look forward to DJI reply even if i guess 48 hours has passed already.
EdM, I can tell you that I never let the wheel jump back to zero, but I always move it gently back and still I get this issue.
2018-12-19
Use props
Virgil Quick
Second Officer
Canada

Mgozer Posted at 12-19 05:11
I look forward to DJI reply even if i guess 48 hours has passed already.
EdM, I can tell you that I never let the wheel jump back to zero, but I always move it gently back and still I get this issue.

Just wondering if you ever received a reply from DJI as promised?
2018-12-20
Use props
GrizzlyAK
lvl.2
United States

OK, so I just got off the phone with John/Sean, or something that sounds similar, at their ‘complaint’ fielding office. He sounded a bit more knowlegreable than others I’ve communicated with, although he told me that it was a HW issue with my bird and I needed to send it back in (a 4th time). But this time, not to Texas, but to a California shop.

Being a career SW engineer with some real-world autonomous vehicle control SW experience, I went to great lengths to impress upon him that the odds of the 3 different drones I’ve had in my possession (with a range of FW versions) having the exact same flight control issue that is HW-based, are extremely low, unless they are producing faulty HW, in which case replacing it yet again would do nothing to fix my bird or all of yours who have confirmed it here (which is their ‘solution’).  More...
2018-12-20
Use props
GrizzlyAK
lvl.2
United States

Based upon the questions he asked me, he had not actually read this post, the link to which I included in my complaint, or watched the video it includes. But he did while I waited. He came back on and said, “like he was saying, it was the FW, and I needed to send it back.” I don’t think he understands that a HW component that can be replaced and the FW are two distinctly different things, and would require vastly different solutions: one from a support shop, and one from a design shop. Of course, he’s having me send it back once again to a support shop, where they will, undoubtedly, send me a new drone back with exactly the same issue.

I’ll let you know when I get back a 5th drone with this issue. If you have a MP or MPP, please test it and confirm the issue here. They need to know this is a product-wide issue, and that a FW update needs to be made to address it for everyone.

Perhaps it’s time for a class action lawsuit.
2018-12-20
Use props
Virgil Quick
Second Officer
Canada

GrizzlyAK Posted at 12-20 13:12
Based upon the questions he asked me, he had not actually read this post, the link to which I included in my complaint, or watched the video it includes. But he did while I waited. He came back on and said, “like he was saying, it was the FW, and I needed to send it back.” I don’t think he understands that a HW component that can be replaced and the FW are two distinctly different things, and would require vastly different solutions: one from a support shop, and one from a design shop. Of course, he’s having me send it back once again to a support shop, where they will, undoubtedly, send me a new drone back with exactly the same issue.

I’ll let you know when I get back a 5th drone with this issue. If you have a MP or MPP, please test it and confirm the issue here. They need to know this is a product-wide issue, and that a FW update needs to be made to address it for everyone.

My MPP does exactly the same thing.  Running all the current FW.
2018-12-20
Use props
GrizzlyAK
lvl.2
United States

Virgil Quick Posted at 12-20 18:36
My MPP does exactly the same thing.  Running all the current FW.

Virgil Quick, thanks for testing and the confirm.
2018-12-20
Use props
Mgozer
Second Officer
Switzerland

INCREDIBLE... how could they ask you to send them back the drone AGAIN, since it is clear it ia a software issue.
How hard could be for DJI to take a MP and test this issue by themself?
2018-12-21
Use props
GrizzlyAK
lvl.2
United States

Mgozer Posted at 12-21 01:00
INCREDIBLE... how could they ask you to send them back the drone AGAIN, since it is clear it ia a software issue.
How hard could be for DJI to take a MP and test this issue by themself?

Believe me, I asked that question several times with the guy on that the phone, but finally gave up repeating myself. He wasn’t getting it. Last time I sent it in, I left detailed instructions in the boxes in big bold, red letters to not return the drone unless it was flight tested for the problem as described. Clearly, they ignored the request, as it took me about 30 seconds once I received it back to determine it was defective. Not sure US support can even think for themselves. They just send out new ones, which probably handles 95% of the issues they see. This requires someone to actually make a decision, and I haven’t been able to find the right person for that yet.
2018-12-21
Use props
fansdf1e9827
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8807664 ft
Philippines

I have the very exact issue that you have thats why I registered here to ask

It happens on my Ipad air 2, latest version on mavic pro firmware, and DJI go 4 app, i tried all the trouble shooting steps that i could think off, even formatted my ipad to do a fresh install, no go, even bought a 2018 ipad, install the go 4 app, same issue!! use my android device and the drone will smoothly yaw and do a gimbal pitch with release no issues.

to rule out possible issues with remote, i even flew my mavic connected via wifi through my ipad, same issue!

to test further, while hovering i tried to press home on my ipad so im back to the homescreen while everything is connected, i did the yaw+ gimbal tilt and it's as smooth as it should be, went back to the app and it yet again stutters doing the same maneuver. im just about to read all the responses here to check if there's been a solution
2018-12-23
Use props
GrizzlyAK
lvl.2
United States

fansdf1e9827 Posted at 12-23 05:50
I have the very exact issue that you have thats why I registered here to ask

It happens on my Ipad air 2, latest version on mavic pro firmware, and DJI go 4 app, i tried all the trouble shooting steps that i could think off, even formatted my ipad to do a fresh install, no go, even bought a 2018 ipad, install the go 4 app, same issue!! use my android device and the drone will smoothly yaw and do a gimbal pitch with release no issues.

fansdf, there is no solution as of yet. I just sent my drone back to DJI a 4th time.

However, I have ONLY used Apple products (iPhone/iPad) with my MPP, and do not own an Android device to do these tests. Your tests indicate that the issue could be in the iOS version of the Go4App. I believe that could only be the case IF the Remote Control sends all of its inputs THROUGH the Go4App, then back to the RC to transmit to the drone. IF that is the case, then the RC is nothing more than a signal generator and radio transmitter, being a slave to the Go4App where all the processing happens.

If that is the case, then you may have isolated the problem to the iOS Go4App, and NOT to an issue with the FW on the MPP itself. However, it is still a SW issue, which can't be fixed (as I have seen with my multiple replacements) by replacing HW alone.

Can anyone else out there with Android devices see if they can replicate the issue fansdf is reporting?

We may be on to something. Thanks for the post!
2018-12-23
Use props
ECFilms
lvl.2
Philippines

GrizzlyAK Posted at 12-23 16:00
fansdf, there is no solution as of yet. I just sent my drone back to DJI a 4th time.

However, I have ONLY used Apple products (iPhone/iPad) with my MPP, and do not own an Android device to do these tests. Your tests indicate that the issue could be in the iOS version of the Go4App. I believe that could only be the case IF the Remote Control sends all of its inputs THROUGH the Go4App, then back to the RC to transmit to the drone. IF that is the case, then the RC is nothing more than a signal generator and radio transmitter, being a slave to the Go4App where all the processing happens.

Was trying to search on how to downgrade go4 app but seems like impossible for ios. Im pretty much sure its the app - i dont want to pull the trigger to buy litchi for ios (have it on my android) . Hope they could put an update/ patch on go4.

This observation could save their "engineers' some time in isolating the issue. Purely SW related.
2018-12-23
Use props
djiuser_6yZ7pNcdXMYy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 21312 ft
  • >>>
United States

dronybaloney Posted at 12-10 14:39
Just for info
I tested this with the mavic2pro todsy and it doesnot have this issue.
Will try this week with the mpp

I haven't tested this yet, with my m2pro.  My m2pro has the gimbal drop for no reason issue that's been reported by a whole bunch of folks.  Fly fwd or back and all of a sudden the gimbal will drop and go back to the center.  Lots of different videos on it.  DJI's response....crickets.  Just don't understand if they see an issue why they don't admit it and then move forward with a fix.
2018-12-24
Use props
djiuser_6yZ7pNcdXMYy
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

GrizzlyAK Posted at 12-20 13:02
OK, so I just got off the phone with John/Sean, or something that sounds similar, at their ‘complaint’ fielding office. He sounded a bit more knowlegreable than others I’ve communicated with, although he told me that it was a HW issue with my bird and I needed to send it back in (a 4th time). But this time, not to Texas, but to a California shop.

Being a career SW engineer with some real-world autonomous vehicle control SW experience, I went to great lengths to impress upon him that the odds of the 3 different drones I’ve had in my possession (with a range of FW versions) having the exact same flight control issue that is HW-based, are extremely low, unless they are producing faulty HW, in which case replacing it yet again would do nothing to fix my bird or all of yours who have confirmed it here (which is their ‘solution’).  More...

Wow! 4th time replacing, but, just the luck of the draw?  Time to play the lottery.  That's unbelievable.  As you had stated, your drones have spent more time back and forth to DJI than in the air!
2018-12-24
Use props
GrizzlyAK
lvl.2
United States

djiuser_6yZ7pNcdXMYy Posted at 12-24 03:58
I haven't tested this yet, with my m2pro.  My m2pro has the gimbal drop for no reason issue that's been reported by a whole bunch of folks.  Fly fwd or back and all of a sudden the gimbal will drop and go back to the center.  Lots of different videos on it.  DJI's response....crickets.  Just don't understand if they see an issue why they don't admit it and then move forward with a fix.

That's disconcerting. I've actually had what you describe happen on my MPP in-flight more than once. I haven't seen that thread yet, but we should keep this one focused on this particuar problem, to see if we and others can provide some data points to DJI to help solve this issue. Another user reported that the M2 did not exhibit the behavior I've reported in this thread.
2018-12-24
Use props
djiuser_6yZ7pNcdXMYy
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

GrizzlyAK Posted at 12-24 11:12
That's disconcerting. Another user reported that the M2 did not exhibit the behavior I've reported. I've actually had what you describe happen on my MPP in-flight more than once, except it didn't return. The gimbal flipped up, blinding it, so I couldn't see where it was flying. I don't remember what I did, exactly, but think it must have been restarting the Go4App and reconnecting while it sat at altitude hovering. Seems DJI may have a QC problem, at least on their App and interface. Not admitting or at least acknowledging that they know people are reporting problems will damage their reputation quickly.

On another front, and something that we should all at least consider is, given the issues surrounding 5G and Huawei Corp and, indeed, the whole China 2025 policy, it's getting hard for me to trust Chinese products where security concerns may exist. Are there any non-Chinese drone manufacturers out there worth looking at?

I can.  All I have to do is take it out for a flight.  I've left it on my youtube videos for folks to see.  It looks the same as what everyone else is posting that has the issue.  It did it first in sport more, thought that could have been the issue.  P mode same, tripod mode the same.  Start flying out, the last time in tripod mode, it's flying slow, because it's in tripod more. slowly turn and stop.  Start flying backwards, gimbal drop. Then you can fly again, at least in my experience, for the most part, with it either not occurring or once in a while.  Braking has been relaxed to alleviate that.  Never had it happen with my air, mavic pro or p4.  I'd do combos of flying back, up and yawing for an opening or closing shot.  Now issues.  M2 pro. Nope.  No prediction of when it will happen, know that it just will.  Others have stated they are having the same issue, just living with it.  I can't believe that Grizzly has sent his back 4 times and each time the return drone has the same issue.  That's incredible and that's a rather large issue.
2018-12-25
Use props
GrizzlyAK
lvl.2
United States

djiuser_6yZ7pNcdXMYy Posted at 12-25 08:16
I can.  All I have to do is take it out for a flight.  I've left it on my youtube videos for folks to see.  It looks the same as what everyone else is posting that has the issue.  It did it first in sport more, thought that could have been the issue.  P mode same, tripod mode the same.  Start flying out, the last time in tripod mode, it's flying slow, because it's in tripod more. slowly turn and stop.  Start flying backwards, gimbal drop. Then you can fly again, at least in my experience, for the most part, with it either not occurring or once in a while.  Braking has been relaxed to alleviate that.  Never had it happen with my air, mavic pro or p4.  I'd do combos of flying back, up and yawing for an opening or closing shot.  Now issues.  M2 pro. Nope.  No prediction of when it will happen, know that it just will.  Others have stated they are having the same issue, just living with it.  I can't believe that Grizzly has sent his back 4 times and each time the return drone has the same issue.  That's incredible and that's a rather large issue.

Are you talking about the gimbal drop issue or the one being discussed in this thread? I couldn't tell from your response. If you are talking about the gimbal drop issue, you might want to post your comment in that thread elsewhere on the forum. I'd like to keep this thread focused on the original topic, if at all possible. I have edited my previous response above to return focus.

Could anyone with an Android device using Go4App please test and see if you can replicate the OP issue with that device. As pointed out above, one user indicates that it seems to be isolated to iOS devices, which could be a huge revelation if so. Thanks!
2018-12-25
Use props
djiuser_6yZ7pNcdXMYy
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

GrizzlyAK Posted at 12-25 19:04
Are you talking about the gimbal drop issue or the one being discussed in this thread? I couldn't tell from your response. If you are talking about the gimbal drop issue, you might want to post your comment in that thread elsewhere on the forum. I'd like to keep this thread focused on the original topic, if at all possible. I have edited my previous response above to return focus.

Could anyone with an Android device using Go4App please test and see if you can replicate the OP issue with that device. As pointed out above, one user indicates that it seems to be isolated to iOS devices, which could be a huge revelation if so. Thanks!

Sorry, I thought that's what this thread was regarding.  The gimbal drop.  That's what the posts were referencing until the last one stating they were not seeing it in the android version.  Just for reference, I've only been using IOS and not any of my android devices.  That would be a rather huge find, especially given DJI's preference to IOS.
2018-12-26
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Tried test as described, no problem.
Tested using DJI's Crystalsky Ultra (runs Android for OS).

2018-12-26
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

GrizzlyAK Posted at 12-20 13:02

I’ve had in my possession (with a range of FW versions) having the exact same flight control issue that is HW-based, are extremely low, unless they are producing faulty HW,

Based on my sour experience with DJI Mavic Pro, Remote Control, and CrystalSky Ultra, it yet may be possible.  (On my third Mavic Pro and R.C.  On my fourth CrystalSky Ultra.)  

Have experienced DJI's Firwmare updates push DJI's Hardware to where it induced problems.  Have to think along lines of Hardware that is just below minium specifications.  When drones were made, they passed factory testing using existing Firmware.  Obviously DJI is not testing Hardware as to exceeding minium specs.  

When newer versions of Firmware were released, Firmware pushed Hardware just enought to cause intermittent and flaky problems.  Downgrade Firmware and all was fine again.  Re-upgrade Firmware and intermittent and flaky problems came back.  Rinse & repeat.

Best of luck!

2018-12-26
Use props
GrizzlyAK
lvl.2
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 12-26 07:35
Tried test as described, no problem.
Tested using DJI's Crystalsky Ultra (runs Android for OS).

Thanks HedgeTrimmer, good to know.
2018-12-26
Use props
GrizzlyAK
lvl.2
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 12-26 07:50
I’ve had in my possession (with a range of FW versions) having the exact same flight control issue that is HW-based, are extremely low, unless they are producing faulty HW,

Based on my sour experience with DJI Mavic Pro, Remote Control, and CrystalSky Ultra, it yet may be possible.  (On my third Mavic Pro and R.C.  On my fourth CrystalSky Ultra.)  

Good to know. Thanks.
2018-12-26
Use props
GrizzlyAK
lvl.2
United States

OK, so I received a call today from Gary, who informed me that, based upon my reports, and flight tests of their own drones, they agree that the issue is in the FW. They will be returning my drone as is, and are forwarding the problem to their R&D department to resolve the defect. We should (hopefully soon) receive a FW update that will remedy this defect for all of us. Yay!

Thanks to everyone who tested and reported here!

Cheers,
Shane
2019-1-3
Use props
ECFilms
lvl.2
Philippines

GrizzlyAK Posted at 1-3 01:04
OK, so I received a call today from Gary, who informed me that, based upon my reports, and flight tests of their own drones, they agree that the issue is in the FW. They will be returning my drone as is, and are forwarding the problem to their R&D department to resolve the defect. We should (hopefully soon) receive a FW update that will remedy this defect for all of us. Yay!

Thanks to everyone who tested and reported here!

I still doubt that its the FW as i've downgraded mine one step. Test on both android and ios. Android is smooth with no "stutter" during panning and gimbal wheel release. Ios still exhibit the same.

Too bad my ipad air 2 died last christmas, will be using the 2018 ipad for further testing.

Latest firmware + ipad air 2 (ios 11.4)= stutter
Latest firmware + ipad air 2 / ipad 2018(ios 12.1.1) = stutter
Latest firmware + s9+ = smooth (occassional "remote controller error" issue)
Previous (one step down) firmware + ipad air2 /2018 = stutter
Previous firmware + android = smooth but occassional "remote controller error"

So we're down to either FW or IOS Go app
Will be trying with an iphone 7 tomorrow
Well. Hopefully a fix would come in.

2019-1-3
Use props
GrizzlyAK
lvl.2
United States

ECFilms Posted at 1-3 08:41
I still doubt that its the FW as i've downgraded mine one step. Test on both android and ios. Android is smooth with no "stutter" during panning and gimbal wheel release. Ios still exhibit the same.

Too bad my ipad air 2 died last christmas, will be using the 2018 ipad for further testing.

Yeah, at least they tested and have seen the problem themselves. Should be able to track it down either way and we’ll end up with a new FW release or new app version.
2019-1-3
Use props
Virgil Quick
Second Officer
Canada

Shane:

Thanks so much for your relentless dedication to seeing this problem to a logical (and hopefully successful) end.
2019-1-3
Use props
GrizzlyAK
lvl.2
United States

Virgil Quick Posted at 1-3 11:51
Shane:

Thanks so much for your relentless dedication to seeing this problem to a logical (and hopefully successful) end.
¡De nada!
2019-1-3
Use props
Mgozer
Second Officer
Switzerland

Reading so far, it seems the issue is related to the IOS app version...
So I really look forward a new release soon.
2019-1-6
Use props
Zsolti
Second Officer
Romania

On my latest flight I noticed that the drone is doing the same even when I'm not using the gimbal tilt, only the yaw and some forward movement. Does anyone else have this?

2019-1-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules