#Autumn# Mysterious and dreamy film + tips for cinematic video
1137 10 2018-11-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
filipsnajdr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2623196 ft
United Kingdom

"I saw old Autumn in the misty morn stand shadowless like silence, listening to silence."

— Thomas Hood

Hi everyone, I would like to share with you my mysterious and dreamy Autumn video from Scottish Highlands.
I want, in particular, to thank my girlfriend Jana and my buddy Mavic Pro. They are the main actors in this short film.
Apart from my Mavic Pro I was using Canon 80D and 17-55mmf/2.8 IS, 24-105mm f/4.0 L and 50mm f/1.8STM.
If you like the video, here are few tips to help you to achieve a similar cinematic result with your Mavic Pro and your DSLR:

1. The best camera settings for Mavic Pro

I've tried many different camera settings for my Mavic Pro. There are not the only one best setting for your Mavic Pro. It depends on your post processing requirements

If you want to post process your footage to get the best result possible from your Mavic Pro, I can recommend you to select these settings:

Profile: D-log
Sharpness +1
Contrast -1
Saturation -1
4k resolution

The +1 sharpness brings lot of noise to the footage, which you'll have to reduce in post processing. But it eliminates the in-camera noise reduction, so you'll get much more details in total, specially in low light conditions such as sunrise or sunset.

If you don't want to have too much hassle with post processing, I would recommend you to use following settings, which have been working very well for me even if I didn't do any post-processing:

Profile: D-cinelike
Sharpness +1
Contrast -1
Saturation -1
2,7k resolution

The settings are much more user friendly and I recommend them for easy workflow. With sharpness +1 you have plenty of details what you need even in low light conditions. And with 2,7k resolution, you don't get that much noise, so you don't need to worry about any difficult noise reduction in post.

In both cases, try to keep the ISO as lowest possible, ideally always at 100, otherwise, you will need a really good software to do the noise reduction in post.

However, If you compare ISO capabilities of Mavic Pro and Mavic 2 Pro, I would definitely recommend to upgrade to Mavic 2 Pro. I had an opportunity to test Mavic 2 Pro for a while, but I don't own one yet. The difference in post processing capabilities is huge.

2. DLSR camera stabilisation

Get a good gimbal for your DSLR. My videos have improved a lot since I bought my first gimbal. There are many kinds of gimbals on the market these days. And they are getting smaller and cheaper. In past, I've been using Zhiyun Crane 2. But now I prefer DJI Ronin S, which can handle almost any DSLR on the market. The control is very intuitive and you have no problem to see the display through the body of the gimbal.

3. Tailor the music for your video to your needs

You probably know the situation when you find a great music for your video, but the music is just too long or too short for what you need.
The best solution is to enable the remixing of the music in Adobe Audition. By this function you can set the length of the music to whatever you want. It will make smooth cuts and transitions in your track. The workflow is really easy. Just open new multitrack session, put your clip on the timeline and look for the file properties tab, where you can select “enable remix”

4. Use ND filters

They are useful mainly when filming people. ND filters help you to keep your shutter speed fixed where you need it to get nice motion blur and more cinematic look of your footage. (Your shutter speed should be double the frame rate).
For this video I was using Polar Pro ND filters with polariser which are great for landscape.
For my Canon DSLR I use Hoya variable ND filter.

Thank you for watching. If you have any questions about the video, the locations or about my gear, my camera setting and post processing workflow, just ask me in comments

2018-11-8
Use props
RobSkyHigh
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1640 ft
United States

Wow! Very nice work!  Just beautiful.  And some very good tips as well.  Thanks for sharing and good luck on the contest!
2018-11-8
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thats a great vid and illustration
2018-11-8
Use props
filipsnajdr
lvl.4
United Kingdom

RobSkyHigh Posted at 11-8 07:17
Wow! Very nice work!  Just beautiful.  And some very good tips as well.  Thanks for sharing and good luck on the contest!

Thanks a lot! Much appreciated
2018-11-8
Use props
filipsnajdr
lvl.4
United Kingdom

A CW Posted at 11-8 11:11
Thats a great vid and illustration

Thank you ;)
2018-11-8
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You're welcome
2018-11-8
Use props
filipsnajdr
lvl.4
United Kingdom

RobSkyHigh Posted at 11-8 07:17
Wow! Very nice work!  Just beautiful.  And some very good tips as well.  Thanks for sharing and good luck on the contest!

I've just checked your entry to the competition. You have some beautiful footage as well and the music makes the video very atmospheric.
2018-11-10
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

WOW great job, stunning video
2018-11-10
Use props
filipsnajdr
lvl.4
United Kingdom