Aspherical Lens?
1910 23 2018-11-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sky Chief
lvl.2

United States

Does DJI offer aspherical lens options? I've never been a fan of fisheye lens distortion (where straight lines appear curved, esp at frame edges). Then I got an aspherical wide angle lens for my DSLR -problem solved without post processing. I've been looking to see if DJI offers aspheric lens options, but haven't seen any discussion on this. The Mavic 2 Zoom appears to address the issue, but I'm not interested in the smaller sensor. Also, a good aspheric lens can be extreme wide angle, with minimal fisheye distortion.

I'm not a drone flyer -yet, but the Mavic 2 Pro has me convinced that the time has come. One of my few remaining questions is about fisheye distortion. And a review I just read discussed that, as a negative. Still image IQ is important for my pro image needs.

Thanks
2018-11-8
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yes they do
These in particular are designed for the DJI Zenmuse X7 6K camera for their Inspire 2 drone.
https://store.dji.com/product/zenmuse-x7-dl-dl-s-lens-set
2018-11-8
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4698533 ft
United States

A CW Posted at 11-8 15:09
Yes they do
These in particular are designed for the DJI Zenmuse X7 6K camera for their Inspire 2 drone.
https://store.dji.com/product/zenmuse-x7-dl-dl-s-lens-set

hehe.. yeah but I dont think he wanted to spend that kind of coin....

2018-11-8
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DeuceDriv3r Posted at 11-8 15:17
hehe.. yeah but I dont think he wanted to spend that kind of coin....

Oh ok
He/she can try this one then - which has an aspherical element in 9 groups and is rectilinear - and a lot cheaper.
2018-11-8
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

https://store.dji.com/product/zenmuse-x3-gimbal-camera
2018-11-8
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
lvl.4
United States

A CW Posted at 11-8 15:21
https://store.dji.com/product/zenmuse-x3-gimbal-camera

yeah but then you need an inspire to carry it... hehe

and a banker and financier to back the purchase...

I have always liked the design of the inspire though...

but unless you are filming for a studio..

the name of the game is portability these days...
2018-11-8
Use props
ff22
Second Officer
United States

DeuceDriv3r Posted at 11-8 16:09

But, but shipping is FREE!
2018-11-8
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DeuceDriv3r Posted at 11-8 16:09

Not really - I'm not a professional drone pilot and I own the Inspire 1 V2 - flown that in more places in the past 3 months than I flew my Mavic's in 12. Portability is only one factor when deciding which drone to own/fly - it should not be the basis of that decision because someone on youtube tells you it is.
2018-11-8
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2018-11-9
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
lvl.4
United States

A CW Posted at 11-8 23:11
Not really - I'm not a professional drone pilot and I own the Inspire 1 V2 - flown that in more places in the past 3 months than I flew my Mavic's in 12. Portability is only one factor when deciding which drone to own/fly - it should not be the basis of that decision because someone on youtube tells you it is.

I have always wanted and inspire...

i have built and flown and owned many brands, sizes and shapes of drones...

even the phantom shape/size even with easy removable landing gear etc.. is not something I would ever take on a hike or camping trip to the back 40...

my spark, sitting in the dji charging base (so 3 batts that can charge 3 times) for 6 flights is an extremely small and tidy bundle that fits in a small outer pocket of my backpack..

in comparison even my mavic pro looks big and cumbersome by comparison..

can't imagine taking an inspire anywhere more than 100 meters from the trunk of a car..

while yes its and amazing craft, and obviously has the finest camera system in RTF drones, and the speed for following fast targets like cars not withstanding.. its the antithesis of a one - size - fits -all type drone..

its good for professionals but I doubt many hobbyists would be able to fully exploit the form factor
2018-11-9
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DeuceDriv3r Posted at 11-9 04:33
I have always wanted and inspire...

i have built and flown and owned many brands, sizes and shapes of drones...

It's good for all - trust me!
2018-11-9
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
lvl.4
United States

A CW Posted at 11-9 06:40
It's good for all - trust me!

hehe.. might get one some day.. just for the cool landing gear effect..

but how far have you backpacked one... hahaha

2018-11-9
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DeuceDriv3r Posted at 11-9 06:56
hehe.. might get one some day.. just for the cool landing gear effect..

but how far have you backpacked one... hahaha

I don't backpack - I hand carry it - or I get someone else to ;)
2018-11-9
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
lvl.4
United States

A CW Posted at 11-9 06:58
I don't backpack - I hand carry it - or I get someone else to ;)

a drone sherpa.. now why didn't I think of that....!!!! hehehehehe
2018-11-9
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DeuceDriv3r Posted at 11-9 06:59
a drone sherpa.. now why didn't I think of that....!!!! hehehehehe

Probably because you like you toy drones too much and never had the need - yet!
2018-11-9
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
lvl.4
United States

A CW Posted at 11-9 07:03
Probably because you like you toy drones too much and never had the need - yet!

well I have built an octo rig that dangled a very nice stabilized dslr.. buy yes you are correct.. I don't NEED a large drone.. and certainly don't need the expense of one either.. especially the matched pairs of batteries that are tied together for life etc with the latest inspires..

I do like the tech and I do appreciate their camera quality..

but for me.. I generally tend to enjoy life more now and travel etc.. but if were paying jobs and the client had the budget yes.. the inspires are great kit and worth the price

the  right tools for the right job....
2018-11-9
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DeuceDriv3r Posted at 11-9 07:10
well I have built an octo rig that dangled a very nice stabilized dslr.. buy yes you are correct.. I don't NEED a large drone.. and certainly don't need the expense of one either.. especially the matched pairs of batteries that are tied together for life etc with the latest inspires..

I do like the tech and I do appreciate their camera quality..

Many recreational pilots fly the Inspire models - you should try one.
2018-11-9
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
lvl.4
United States

A CW Posted at 11-9 07:22
Many recreational pilots fly the Inspire models - you should try one.

oh I am pretty sure that would be a mistake because I would have to add yet another platform to the hangar and I am sure the wife would be thrilled !!! hehe

at this point I could probably sell half my 'Toys' and buy a real aircraft to take the family on trips....

2018-11-9
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DeuceDriv3r Posted at 11-9 07:28
oh I am pretty sure that would be a mistake because I would have to add yet another platform to the hangar and I am sure the wife would be thrilled !!! hehe

Yeah, it is an expensive hobby - fun though.
2018-11-9
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
lvl.4
United States

A CW Posted at 11-9 07:35
Yeah, it is an expensive hobby - fun though.

got that right.. I really enjoyed building them but the components keep getting smaller and the solder pads keep getting smaller and I am going blind in my old age!! hehe.. so I don't build and tinker as much as I use to ... and ready build stuff is getting better all the time.. lots of the commercial racing quads are great machines and come with some great FC tunes out of the box.. still build and fly on open source flight software like beta flight and such so can still be customized and tuned to taste which is nice.

but yeah.. expansive hobby ..

2018-11-9
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DeuceDriv3r Posted at 11-9 07:48
got that right.. I really enjoyed building them but the components keep getting smaller and the solder pads keep getting smaller and I am going blind in my old age!! hehe.. so I don't build and tinker as much as I use to ... and ready build stuff is getting better all the time.. lots of the commercial racing quads are great machines and come with some great FC tunes out of the box.. still build and fly on open source flight software like beta flight and such so can still be customized and tuned to taste which is nice.

but yeah.. expansive hobby ..

Never built a drone myself - I just fly them.  
2018-11-9
Use props
Sky Chief
lvl.2

United States

El Diablo Posted at 11-9 01:09
I believe you are using the wrong definitions here. An aspheric lens will mainly reduce optical aberrations, a RECTILINEAR wide angle lens will produce less distortion... in any case, I don't see the M2P having any kind of distortion (eg. "Moustache") than cannot easily be fixed in post. Barrel distortion takes 20sec to fix... what exactly is the problem?

Thanks for that clarification. Actually, I think both may be valid, although the rectilinear example in wiki is outstanding.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rectilinear_lens
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspheric_lens

And thanks to other posters for the link to the pro lens options for Inspire.

Point is, I've never been a fan of the extreme distortion visible in GoPRo & other action cam lenses. My own Aspheric DSLR lens is excellent, but was very affordable.

As I mentioned, a Mavic 2 will probably be my first drone. The features are appealing, and the portability will help, as I'll often be hiking/biking to remote areas. I make my living with still images, but shoot increasingly more video. If I can move up the food chain, then a high end machine will possibly fly my way. But until then, compact & affordable will have to do. I'm hoping DJI might at some point consider distortion free wide angle lens options for consumers. The "trickle down" of features gets better every year. I'm a pro retoucher (stills only) so I don't mind some post correction. But the difference between my own DSLR fisheye and Aspheric lenses is enough to sell me on the concept.
2018-11-9
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
lvl.4
United States

Sky Chief Posted at 11-9 10:12
Thanks for that clarification. Actually, I think both may be valid, although the rectilinear example in wiki is outstanding.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rectilinear_lens
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspheric_lens

cheapest thing to do would be to get rid of it in post...

pretty much DJIs answer when it comes to the mavic 2 pro with the hassleblad that apparently has more distortion than most around here were expecting

I don't have one so I can't comment directly although I have read how people are correcting it in post..

as you know of course the cameras on these prosumer drones don't have options when it comes to cameras and lenses like the inspires do...

filters are available but I doubt anyone makes 'slide on' lenses like you can get for a phone to convert to wide angle etc..

2018-11-9
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2018-11-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules