will my drone fly in my house in a no fly zone
8986 36 2018-11-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jorgeo65
lvl.2
Flight distance : 209498 ft
Australia

will my drone fly in my house  in a no fly zone in austrailia?  I just found out these things wont fly in some areas, I live in a no fly zone, according to the can I fly here app, does this mean I cant even fly it indoors, in my house, or in the back yard for testing?  I live about 5k from a reginal airport, I will att photos of the app warnings.

Screenshot_20181110-074227_Can I Fly There.jpg
Screenshot_20181110-074227_Can I Fly There.jpg
2018-11-9
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi Jorgeo, thanks for reaching DJI Forum. We do appreciate bringing this query to us. Kindly send an email to flysafe@dji.com or visit this link for more information about how to unlock geo zone. Thank you.
2018-11-9
Use props
jorgeo65
lvl.2
Australia

DJI Gamora Posted at 11-9 14:19
Hi Jorgeo, thanks for reaching DJI Forum. We do appreciate bringing this query to us. Kindly send an email to flysafe@dji.com or visit this link for more information about how to unlock geo zone. Thank you.

so that means no, it wont start, even indoors.
2018-11-9
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

jorgeo65 Posted at 11-9 14:57

Yes, that is correct Jorgeo.
2018-11-9
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

jorgeo65 Posted at 11-9 14:57

There's no restriction shown on the DJI flysafe map that was referred to, so if it's not restricted in their 'precise flysafe database' files, then there would be nothing other than local legislation stopping you from flying.
2018-11-9
Use props
jorgeo65
lvl.2
Australia

DJI Gamora Posted at 11-9 15:08
Yes, that is correct Jorgeo.

so that means every time I need to run it for maintenance, I need to drive miles away to do so. this is not like DJI adds portray these things in there adds.
in your adds you see these things taking fantastic pictures all over the place, and makes it look so easy,
this is definitely not how it is in reality.
2018-11-9
Use props
Blellow
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1311056 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wow, what bs!
2018-11-9
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

jorgeo65 Posted at 11-9 15:26
so that means every time I need to run it for maintenance, I need to drive miles away to do so. this is not like DJI adds portray these things in there adds.
in your adds you see these things taking fantastic pictures all over the place, and makes it look so easy,

"this is definitely not how it is in reality."

So what happens in reality when you try and start up your drone ?
2018-11-9
Use props
jorgeo65
lvl.2
Australia

Aardvark Posted at 11-9 15:16
There's no restriction shown on the DJI flysafe map that was referred to, so if it's not restricted in their 'precise flysafe database' files, then there would be nothing other than local legislation stopping you from flying.

OK, thanks, finally something that makes sense, it’s hard to get a straight answer, I need to know before I open the box. after having the problems I have had with phone compatibility and  a fault with the unit that needed replacing, this would be the final straw and I would be getting a refund and buying something with less hassles and cheaper
2018-11-9
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

jorgeo65 Posted at 11-9 15:26

See what happens if you power-up drone to do maintenance.

Only maintenance I am aware of that requires the props to be spinning is "shake" test (dipping sauce-cup of water taped to top of drone between props).  Checking for blades out of balance that cause drone to "shake", resulting in poor quality photos or videos.
2018-11-9
Use props
jorgeo65
lvl.2
Australia

Aardvark Posted at 11-9 15:41
"this is definitely not how it is in reality."

So what happens in reality when you try and start up your drone ?

haven’t gotten that far yet, still waiting for second unit to arrive, that’s why I would like to find out before I open the box, because I doubt they will give me a refund on this second unit if its open.
2018-11-9
Use props
jorgeo65
lvl.2
Australia

mate, when I start it for the 1st time I would like to be in the comfort of my own home, using my home WiFI, it would suck if I was out in a field miles away, just to find out thers somthing wrong with it.
2018-11-9
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

jorgeo65 Posted at 11-9 16:07
haven’t gotten that far yet, still waiting for second unit to arrive, that’s why I would like to find out before I open the box, because I doubt they will give me a refund on this second unit if its open.

Is there anybody you might know who owns a Mavic or P4 series, you could borrow to do a check. Or perhaps local aero modellers club you could call. Unfortunately the only way to be 100% sure is to try it.

I don't think there would be any legal restriction from the air authorities when flying indoors. And if there is no GPS reception indoors then the aircraft wouldn't be aware if your house/building were in a genuine NFZ or not, and would use the optical sensors (VPS) in 'Opti Mode' to hold its horizontal position.
2018-11-9
Use props
jorgeo65
lvl.2
Australia

Aardvark Posted at 11-9 16:21
Is there anybody you might know who owns a Mavic or P4 series, you could borrow to do a check. Or perhaps local aero modellers club you could call. Unfortunately the only way to be 100% sure is to try it.

I don't think there would be any legal restriction from the air authorities when flying indoors. And if there is no GPS reception indoors then the aircraft wouldn't be aware if your house/building were in a genuine NFZ or not, and would use the optical sensors (VPS) in 'Opti Mode' to hold its horizontal position.

thanks again, that makes sense, I seen a phantom flying up the road the other day, but dont know what model, and a couple of weeks ago spotted a drone cruising past in the dead of the night, looked pretty freaky. I will contact a local club in the area.
Cheers.
2018-11-9
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Welcome to the forum mate!
2018-11-9
Use props
Boffin
lvl.4
Australia

jorgeo65 Posted at 11-9 16:43
thanks again, that makes sense, I seen a phantom flying up the road the other day, but dont know what model, and a couple of weeks ago spotted a drone cruising past in the dead of the night, looked pretty freaky. I will contact a local club in the area.
Cheers.

The Ilawarra Model Aircraft Club used to have some really helpful members, might be worth giving them a bell IMAC

2018-11-9
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Try Litchi.            
2018-11-9
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
Flight distance : 9249964 ft
  • >>>
United States

The only drone I'd actually recomend flying inside is the Tello. Even the Spark is pretty tricky to fly inside. Anything bigger (Mavics and Phantoms) it's pretty silly to fly inside. Just my opinion.
2018-11-9
Use props
jorgeo65
lvl.2
Australia

Boffin Posted at 11-9 18:44
The Ilawarra Model Aircraft Club used to have some really helpful members, might be worth giving them a bell IMAC

will do, thanks
2018-11-9
Use props
jorgeo65
lvl.2
Australia

Bing Err Posted at 11-9 19:25
The only drone I'd actually recomend flying inside is the Tello. Even the Spark is pretty tricky to fly inside. Anything bigger (Mavics and Phantoms) it's pretty silly to fly inside. Just my opinion.

I have a large garage with a big undercover area, plenty of room, I have been flying my bugs 5w there, I wont be flying my mav around like the bugs, just hover and check everything is working OK.
thanks for the reply.
2018-11-9
Use props
ghostrdr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1272723 ft
United States

If you're inside, it may fly in atti mode but if you acquire GPS while airborne, who knows what will happen.
2018-11-10
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ghostrdr Posted at 11-10 07:14
If you're inside, it may fly in atti mode but if you acquire GPS while airborne, who knows what will happen.

"If you're inside, it may fly in atti mode but if you acquire GPS while airborne, who knows what will happen."

If there's sufficient light it will fly in 'Opti Mode' (VPS, Visual Positioning System), if there's not enough light then ATTI mode, and if it picks up sufficient GPS/GLONASS (usually >8 satellites) then there shouldn't really be any problem unless it's getting any corrupted signals which I would think unlikely if it has sufficient reception to operate in P mode.

Flying indoors is probably not the best idea unless lots of space, but for hover tests there shouldn't be any problems.
2018-11-10
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I think an empty field is a better place to start the bird and start flying.
Indoor I would only start up to test the camera and update the drone etc.
2018-11-10
Use props
jorgeo65
lvl.2
Australia

Aardvark Posted at 11-10 08:28
"If you're inside, it may fly in atti mode but if you acquire GPS while airborne, who knows what will happen."

If there's sufficient light it will fly in 'Opti Mode' (VPS, Visual Positioning System), if there's not enough light then ATTI mode, and if it picks up sufficient GPS/GLONASS (usually >8 satellites) then there shouldn't really be any problem unless it's getting any corrupted signals which I would think unlikely if it has sufficient reception to operate in P mode.

yea, i don't plan on flying it around indoors, just a simple hover, take off landing and checking it gets satellites, shouldn't b a problem, its a large undercover area with plastic roof.
just wish it would arrive, feels like I have been researching and thinking about it for ever
2018-11-10
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

jorgeo65 Posted at 11-10 14:28
yea, i don't plan on flying it around indoors, just a simple hover, take off landing and checking it gets satellites, shouldn't b a problem, its a large undercover area with plastic roof.
just wish it would arrive, feels like I have been researching and thinking about it for ever

Although they can fly themselves, learning the quirks of the systems can take a while. A big wide open treeless place is often best for first hour or two. I think I spent about three months reading up over Winter, before my first flights, but it was time well spent.
2018-11-10
Use props
Uax4It
lvl.1
United States

jorgeo65 Posted at 11-10 14:28
yea, i don't plan on flying it around indoors, just a simple hover, take off landing and checking it gets satellites, shouldn't b a problem, its a large undercover area with plastic roof.

Good Luck these are new FAA Rules our Drones by dji are now useless paper weights
2018-11-25
Use props
jorgeo65
lvl.2
Australia

Uax4It Posted at 11-25 15:38
Good Luck these are new FAA Rules our Drones by dji are now useless paper weights

its not that bad over there,  or is it?
2018-11-25
Use props
HendrikJB
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2132792 ft
South Africa

it will fly indoors if you use ATTI or Vision Only.
2018-11-26
Use props
Uax4It
lvl.1
United States

jorgeo65 Posted at 11-25 21:23
its not that bad over there,  or is it?

Yup cant even start the motors i even driven miles and still NFL in New Jersey this is because of the new update the motors started before the update yesterday after the update everything is a NFL
2018-11-26
Use props
jorgeo65
lvl.2
Australia

Uax4It Posted at 11-26 05:42
Yup cant even start the motors i even driven miles and still NFL in New Jersey this is because of the new update the motors started before the update yesterday after the update everything is a NFL

that's bad,
all this will do is make people buy other drones that don't have restrictions like DJI.
whats the deal when we start getting parcel delivery drones,  will they be exempt from NFZ?
2018-11-26
Use props
Brett Brandon
lvl.4
United States

The new CAPTCHA crap is the last straw.
Im tired of DJIs crap and am removing my posts and will be on my way.
2018-11-26
Use props
Brett Brandon
lvl.4
United States

2018-11-26
Use props
Brett Brandon
lvl.4
United States

2018-11-26
Use props
Doots
lvl.3
Flight distance : 682598 ft
United States

Yep! Never again will I buy a DJI drone. Couldn't even spin the motors up to hover in my own damn house. I feel like slamming this pos on the ground.
2019-1-8
Use props
Wizzard005
lvl.1
Flight distance : 13 ft
United States

mine was doing that here in hawaii, sometimes its hard to get it to fly from the beach.... our island is so small...
2019-1-8
Use props
Master.
Second Officer
Flight distance : 623432 ft
United States

You will be able to fly inside your house since there is no gps signal indoor.
2019-1-13
Use props
Brett Brandon
lvl.4
United States

2019-1-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules