Ground Station like functionality open questions.
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
isaache
lvl.3
Spain

DearDJI representatives, Autumn, Tahoe_Ed, Others,

Today it came in to my attention (through Twitter) that Pix4D has released a new version of their"Pix4Dmapper Capture App" based on the SDK level 2 so the first thing I did was to check their manual to see if the newly included capabilities where good enough to convince me to purchase the Phantom 3, not long after Idid realize that Pix4D application was not going to give me what I need...

1. I do need the possibilityto freely define waypoints, it is not enough to have the grid like flight pattern. Which I believe is not available in the current Pix4DmapperCapture App iteration.
2. I do need the capabilityto individually select the height at each waypoint. Which I believe is not available in the current Pix4Dmapper Capture App iteration.
3. I do need the cappability to select the flight speed. Which I believe is not available in the current Pix4Dmapper Capture App iteration.
4. I do need the capabilityto program BVR (Beyond Visual Range) flights so that pictures are taken even if there is no connection between the P3 and the controller. Which I believe is not available in the current Pix4Dmapper Capture App iteration.
5. I do need the capabilityto manually configure the intervalmeter (time lapse) of the camera, I do not want to rely on an automated application decision, even assuming that the app decision is optimal because I can't assume that all the pictures will be perfect, inother words I always take more pictures than strictly necessary to complete the photogrammetric job. Which I believe is not available in thecurrent Pix4Dmapper Capture App iteration.
6. I would like to have an idea of the telemetry data when the connection P3 to controller is available, something which is available in DJI Pilot App. Which I believe is not available in the current Pix4Dmapper Capture App iteration.
7. I would like to beable to visualize what the P3 camera is seeing whenever the connection P3 to controller is available, something which is available in DJI PilotApp. Which I believe is not available in the current Pix4DmapperCapture App iteration.

All those points are all well covered with the actual ground station for the Phantom 2

Unfortunately it looks like my ground station agenda does not align well with Pix4D's and to make things worse the forums as well as YouTube is full of unconfirmed rumors (sometimes by DJI employees) I think it would be very welcome by the community if you could clarify some question marks that have been floating arround for quite a while.

a. Is there any chance that we could get an official word on if DJI will or will not release something similar to a ground station?
b. If so, is this app going to work with the Phantom 3 Advanced or will only work with the Inspire 1and the Phantom 3 Professional?
c. If so, can we have a rough approximate of when do you plan an eventual release? (one, two, three, ... months?)
d. Do you believe that it will be possible to reduce the actual camera minimum time lapse?

Thanks for taking the time.

Isaac

2015-6-3
Use props
NorthernLoop
lvl.2
Flight distance : 300246 ft
United Kingdom

I think you will struggle until DJI releases the SDK for the P3, everything until then will be hash around to get working.
2015-6-3
Use props
isaache
lvl.3
Spain

Hi NorthernLoop,

The SDK level 1 was released the 2015/04/30, see http://dev.dji.com/api_doc, the SDK level 2 is delivered on a selective basis so only DJI knows when has been delivered.

My expectation is to end with all the (unnecessary) rumours.

Isaac
2015-6-3
Use props
david.p.mann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>
United States

For pure waypoint flight capability (no automatic image capture) with the ability to specify altitude, speed and duration of pause at each waypoint with live camera view available throughout, you may want to look into the following apps in various stages of early release being developed by third-party developers:

a) DJI Ultimate Flight for Android devices that is available in the Google Play Store
    Developer Web Page:  kenargo.com

b) DJI Pilot app for IOS and Android devices by developer DJI Technology (Ground Station coming some day)

c) Current alternative:  Buy a DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ Rev. 3.  The DJI Vision app for IOS includes Ground Station option in settings, which then allows setting up to 16 Waypoints on satellite view map with ability to set altitude at each waypoint; can also specify slow, medium or fast speed of overall waypoint flight. Operator can control camera tilt and take photos manually with live video feed throughout flight; can also pause automated waypoint flight at any time.  Note:  waypoint flight will complete without RTH even if connection to RC is lost (of course only video of flight will be available - no photos).

Other exciting third-party apps in Early Release:

d) Autopilot for Phantom by Auto Flight Logic which provides Follow, Orbit, Hover, and Focus modes to control the camera gimbal to keep IOS device in center of frame while controlling Phantom flight (currently available only for Phantom 2 V+ but they are working on release for Phantom 3).  Waypoints may be a future feature.
    Developer Web Page:  autoflightlogic.com
2015-6-3
Use props
isaache
lvl.3
Spain

Hi David,

Regarding point c) I already own a P2+Zenmuse+GoPro with Ground Station, which is what I'm using nowadays to perform my photogrammetric projects.

Thanks for all the app suggestions, I will look at hem latter on but I suspect none of those apps will fulfil all my expectations like the old and trusty GS did which means that I will have to sit and wait to purchase until DJI releases a working GS for the P3 or at least until I get official confirmation

Isaac
2015-6-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules