Using iPad mini 4 without GPS advice?
1785 16 2018-11-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_6skJaeLno6Ca
lvl.3
Flight distance : 21316 ft
United Kingdom

Hello, I am intending to get a iPad mini 4 tomorrow, should I be concerned that I have read it has no GPS facility? How will it record the homepoint? Bit worried I am going to waste my money if it's going to cause issues?. Do many spark owners use the iPad mini 4 without issues. Thanks for advice.
2018-11-16
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi there. I appreciate your time bringing this query to us. Regarding your concern, It is okay you use an iPad without GPS. Your home point will be recorded wonderfully because the AC has it's own GPS module.  It is not necessary to have GPS on your iPad or tablet. Should you have further question, please let us know. Thanks for your support.
2018-11-16
Use props
djiuser_6skJaeLno6Ca
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DJI Natalia Posted at 11-16 11:11
Hi there. I appreciate your time bringing this query to us. Regarding your concern, It is okay you use an iPad without GPS. Your home point will be recorded wonderfully because the AC has it's own GPS module.  It is not necessary to have GPS on your iPad or tablet. Should you have further question, please let us know. Thanks for your support.

Ok I understand now, many thanks DJI NAT.
2018-11-16
Use props
unhommelibre
Second Officer
Flight distance : 109268 ft
United States

I flown my spark with an iPad mini 4 a few time and haven't had any issues. I usually turn on airplane mode on the iPad when I fly. I believe the Spark gets it home point through the remote or the aircraft itself.
2018-11-16
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

djiuser_6skJaeLno6Ca Posted at 11-16 11:14
Ok I understand now, many thanks DJI NAT.

You're most welcome. Have a safe flight always.
2018-11-16
Use props
djiuser_6skJaeLno6Ca
lvl.3
United Kingdom

unhommelibre Posted at 11-16 11:14
I flown my spark with an iPad mini 4 a few time and haven't had any issues. I usually turn on airplane mode on the iPad when I fly. I believe the Spark gets it home point through the remote or the aircraft itself.

Ok sounds good, thanks for your help, feel more confident now. Do you use a cable to connect to the remote or WiFi.
2018-11-16
Use props
Hani
First Officer
Flight distance : 1392995 ft
  • >>>
United States

From my experience, I believe it will not affect the performance of the spark. I’ve seen the difference only when the aircraft is returning home. Without the GPS allowed on the iPad or iPhone, it will give you a message like this “returning home in (blank) safe”. Whereas if the GPS is on, it will give a countdown of the actually distance; like  this “returning home in 700 meters safe”. I do not see a need for it as I can monitor the distance in the app, but this is what I have noticed.  
2018-11-16
Use props
djiuser_6skJaeLno6Ca
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Hani Posted at 11-16 13:27
From my experience, I believe it will not affect the performance of the spark. I’ve seen the difference only when the aircraft is returning home. Without the GPS allowed on the iPad or iPhone, it will give you a message like this “returning home in (blank) safe”. Whereas if the GPS is on, it will give a countdown of the actually distance; like  this “returning home in 700 meters safe”. I do not see a need for it as I can monitor the distance in the app, but this is what I have noticed.

Ok thanks for this, are you happy that using the iPad is better than a phone? At present I use a Samsung S7 but I am not entirely happy with it with signal loss. I live in UK so am limited to CE connection and am hoping for better distance using a iPad it that's likely??
2018-11-16
Use props
Hani
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

I actually use iPhone 6 Plus and it’s working just fine.
2018-11-16
Use props
unhommelibre
Second Officer
Flight distance : 109268 ft
United States

djiuser_6skJaeLno6Ca Posted at 11-16 11:33
Ok sounds good, thanks for your help, feel more confident now. Do you use a cable to connect to the remote or WiFi.

I've been using a cable.
2018-11-16
Use props
Hani
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_6skJaeLno6Ca Posted at 11-16 13:44
Ok thanks for this, are you happy that using the iPad is better than a phone? At present I use a Samsung S7 but I am not entirely happy with it with signal loss. I live in UK so am limited to CE connection and am hoping for better distance using a iPad it that's likely??

I don’t think the phone or tablet has any affect on the distance, as far as I know. I’ve tested the spark here with the wifi and RC connected to the iPhone 6 Plus and I got 1.2KM and sometimes I got only 300 to 400 meters, all depends on the signal your using 5.8 or 2.4 and any interference that may occur during the flight. I’m not sure about the distance limit in UK and CE area, but I am sure that may play a role as well.
2018-11-16
Use props
djiuser_6skJaeLno6Ca
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Hani Posted at 11-16 14:35
I don’t think the phone or tablet has any affect on the distance, as far as I know. I’ve tested the spark here with the wifi and RC connected to the iPhone 6 Plus and I got 1.2KM and sometimes I got only 300 to 400 meters, all depends on the signal your using 5.8 or 2.4 and any interference that may occur during the flight. I’m not sure about the distance limit in UK and CE area, but I am sure that may play a role as well.

Thank you that's helpful, have a good weekend.
2018-11-16
Use props
Hani
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_6skJaeLno6Ca Posted at 11-16 19:34
Thank you that's helpful, have a good weekend.

You're welcome. Same to you and welcome to the club
2018-11-16
Use props
LiyanaBrown
lvl.1

Bangladesh

great discussion! appreciated all!
2018-11-18
Use props
mikeB2210
lvl.2
Flight distance : 137943 ft
Germany

LiyanaBrown Posted at 11-18 22:48
great discussion! appreciated all!

Hi everybody,
I´m also thinking of buying an ipad mini 4 to use it with my new Mavic 2 Pro.
But I have noticed that there are some problems with lagging or stuttering when using the DJI Go 4 app.
Is this problem with ios 12.1 and the newest DJI Go 4 app solved?
2018-11-19
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

You shouldn't have any issues. My iPad is wifi only version.
2018-11-19
Use props
djiuser_6skJaeLno6Ca
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Woe Posted at 11-19 05:18
You shouldn't have any issues. My iPad is wifi only version.

Ok thanks. , bought the iPad but weather here in UK is shocking at moment! Doubt I will get to fly for a few weeks now, oh well.
2018-11-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules