Cinematic settings don't seem so cinematic...
816 3 2018-11-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AdamD1122
lvl.2
Flight distance : 11663 ft
United States

Hi.

I'm dialing in on the best settings for me to achieve the best cinematic settings. Everything I know and have read is that 24fps is generally the best for this purpose. All other controlls equal, I think most might agree with that.

However, for me, 24fps is choppy in turns. I have tried everything and no matter what size video image all of the sizes at 24fps are not smooth. Also, the 48fps are equally choppy and the 96fps as well. I've tryed Tripod mode and really got the rotation super slow and smooth and nothing really helps. Meanwhile, 30fps in any resolution produce excellent results.

Question. Do other experience this as well? I wonder if its my old computer. It's a 9 year old desktop and the screen resolution is 1920x1080. I'm starting to think its my computer and not the footage.

What do you all think about that?

Outside of this I've settled in on 100ISO, ~1/60 shutter (with appropriate ND filter to achieve that), D-Cinimatic color (or Vivid), Custome Sharpness to -2, Contrast -1 (sometimes 0), and saturation set to 0 or 1. I think that's everything. I also use the PolarPro plorized ND filters and the color change is more challencing to get right. Vivid sucks so I find either None or D-Cinimatic are best to my eye. I'm sure a galizion of you will disagree. That's just taste...Oh yeah, I also set my white balance useally to Sunlight so the video is always a consistant color, just in case I get a wild haid and decide to post-process. I'm just having fun right now screwing around the back yard area.

Many thanks for your thoughts about the 24fps vs 30.
2018-11-17
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU!
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1638323 ft
United States

None of this has anything to do with cinematic. How you compose it, the speed, the angles all attribute to how cinematic a scene is. A long time ago, someone said “cinematic” and “frames per second” in the same sentence and it has spread like a bad rash.
2018-11-17
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

If you want something that is 'technically' correct for shutterspeed than you 'should' double your framerate and take that as shutterspeed.
So 24fps = about 1/50s shutterspeed.
This gives enough motion blur to fool the eyes that they see smooth motion.

BUT this is only a fraction of the whole 'cinematic' way of filming.
There are tons and tons and even more video's explaining what else is involved if you are interested.
2018-11-18
Use props
AdamD1122
lvl.2
Flight distance : 11663 ft
United States

First, does the choppy nature of 24, 48 and 96 frames per second make any sense to you? I'm trying to determine if I have a problem with my old computer. It just doesn't seem to make sense why they have a "incremental" feel to how the video plays out.

As for the rest of the cinematic thing, if you can provide some good links to video on this topic that you feel are good, please pass them on.
2018-11-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules