Grand Canyon
12Next >
3772 44 2018-11-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jimmy007
lvl.4

United States

This was a wonderful trip. The views are amazing.

2018-11-18
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi there. Thank you for sharing this video with us. Have a safe flight always.
2018-11-18
Use props
Mavic_Jay
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2113419 ft
United Kingdom

very nice, thanks
2018-11-18
Use props
dj_dread
Second Officer
Flight distance : 648399 ft
Romania

Very nice views indeed!
2018-11-18
Use props
rolling56
Second Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

umm Nat'l Parks are a big no-no
2018-11-18
Use props
Jimmy007
lvl.4

United States

rolling56 Posted at 11-18 15:45
umm Nat'l Parks are a big no-no

I agree. I flew outside of the park. Thanks for viewing
2018-11-18
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Weird, I think as long as you fly outside then in then you're ok don't just take off from inside(like i did in Hawaii and I was told to land it).
2018-11-18
Use props
rolling56
Second Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

Jimmy007 Posted at 11-18 15:52

I figured you probably did but couldn't tell for me when viewing. Great footage
2018-11-18
Use props
DJI Panda
Administrator
Flight distance : 405039 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Amazing! Grand Canyon is a great place!
2018-11-18
Use props
EdisonW1979
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1535679 ft
Canada

rolling56 Posted at 11-18 16:50
I figured you probably did but couldn't tell for me when viewing. Great footage

Hi rolling56,

Actually, flying from outside the park, whilst putting you outside the jurisdiction of the park rangers from confiscating your drone or slapping the operator with a fine, is still considered illegal:

https://www.nps.gov/articles/unmanned-aircraft-in-the-national-parks.htm

To quote a passage from the NPS:

"Policy Memorandum 14-05, released by the National Park Service (NPS) director in June 2014, directed each superintendent to use the authority under 36 CFR 1.5 to prohibit the launching, landing, or operation of unmanned aircraft, subject to the certain conditions and exceptions set forth in the memo."

By this language, it defines that even if you launch your UAV outside park boundaries, you are still not permitted to allow the aircraft to enter said boundaries, unless without first obtaining a special use permit from the park superintendent prior to the flight.

Another passage from the site:

"Can I launch and land my unmanned aircraft outside the park boundary?
The NPS has no authority outside park boundaries; the unmanned aircraft operator would have to get the permission of the landowner."

This goes back to the previous statement that you can launch your UAV outside park boundaries, so long as you have permission from the land owner, however it does not negate the official no-fly-zone regulation for the park.

We have similar regulations up in Canada, where our National Parks are total no-fly-zones for UAV's, and even launching the drone from outside the boundary does not permit the operator to violate the no-fly-zone.

Whilst the footage is beautiful, I categorically cannot condone UAV operations like this. This has been a known law for years in the US and Canada, with no-fly-zone signage posted EVERYWHERE; a friend of mine was recently at Grand Canyon and even sent me a bunch of pics showing all the signage posted.

I know many of us often fly beyond VLOS, or bend the rules a little in order to get that great shot (of which I am guilty of as well), to the criticism of the "drone police" around here, which is not what I am trying to be, but a no-fly-zone is a NO-FLY-ZONE, period! No and's, if's, or but's about it! People who do this give ALL UAV operators a bad rep, and right now the public is already tainted against drones due to all the recent bad press (justified or not) the community has received, and this just adds fuel to the anti-drone fire.
2018-11-18
Use props
EdisonW1979
lvl.4
Canada

Jimmy007 Posted at 11-18 15:52

Hi Jimmy007,

Not to be a party pooper, since I also love the footage, but have a look at my response to rolling56 above...

Even though you lift off outside park boundaries, it is still illegal to have the UAV enter park airspace, as it is classified a no-fly-zone, which means even if the operator is standing an inch, or a mile outside the zone, it is the operator's responsibility to keep the UAV outside of the zone at all times...
2018-11-18
Use props
Jimmy007
lvl.4

United States

EdisonW1979 Posted at 11-18 20:30
Hi Jimmy007,

Not to be a party pooper, since I also love the footage, but have a look at my response to rolling56 above...

Thanks for viewing. I did not take off or enter restricted air space. I flew outside of the park and used a handheld camera inside. Have a good one.
2018-11-18
Use props
EdisonW1979
lvl.4
Canada

Jimmy007 Posted at 11-18 20:39
Thanks for viewing. I did not take off or enter restricted air space. I flew outside of the park and used a handheld camera inside. Have a good one.

Jimmy,

I've watched the entire video, you were flying directly over the gorges with your drone, so the drone was within no-fly-zone airspace, as can be easily confirmed by looking up the area on AirMap.com by searching for Grand Canyon, Arizona, United States.

The ENTIRE region is a total NO-FLY-ZONE. If you were going by what the DJI GO 4 app was showing you, I keep telling pilots NEVER to rely on this information, as it's often very inaccurate, or missing data; always use AirMap to confirm the status of your airspace before a flight.

I'm not trying to be harsh, I just want to educate pilots to some facts they may not be aware of, and in this case, that it was an illegal flight, beautiful or not.
2018-11-18
Use props
Jimmy007
lvl.4

United States

EdisonW1979 Posted at 11-18 20:48
Jimmy,

I've watched the entire video, you were flying directly over the gorges with your drone, so the drone was within no-fly-zone airspace, as can be easily confirmed by looking up the area on AirMap.com by searching for Grand Canyon, Arizona, United States.

Thanks again for your concern. However, you are incorrect. Check your Airmap app again and look at HWY 64(east of the park). There are plenty of places to fly which are not within restricted areas.
2018-11-18
Use props
Hani
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1392995 ft
  • >>>
United States

Great video!
2018-11-18
Use props
EdisonW1979
lvl.4
Canada

Jimmy007 Posted at 11-18 20:59
Thanks again for your concern. However, you are incorrect. Check your Airmap app again and look at HWY 64(east of the park). There are plenty of places to fly which are not within restricted areas.

My apologies, I did not see that section of the GC off Hwy 64.

Stay safe and happy flying!
2018-11-18
Use props
Atlas_Aus
lvl.4

Thailand

I have never seen it in real life, it's on my list Well done.
2018-11-18
Use props
MavSpa_user
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

Nice footage however I see a lot of noise on my 4k monitor??  Dis you flew with sharpness +1 ???
2018-11-18
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Great footage
2018-11-18
Use props
Gregbella
Second Officer
Australia

Great video
2018-11-19
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

EdisonW1979 Posted at 11-18 22:12

Aloha Edison,

Regarding operation over the Grand Canyon, to my knowledge, only the FAA and FAA maps can restrict airspace anywhere in the US.  For the National Parks Service to restrict operations, they would have to cite the FAA restriction specifically.  Otherwise it is a jurisdiction issue.  NPS has no authority over airspace anywhere in the US to the best of my knowledge.

Because of this jurisdiction problem, the term "operation" in the regulation you cited most likely deals with standing and "operating" the drone inside NPS property.  As you well noted, there are No Fly Zones but they require the authority of the FAA in order to be enforceable.  Interesting that there are those "secret" flying spots, cool.  There is also a lot of Indian land in that area.  In fact the Sky Bridge is Indian owned and operated, or so I have read.  Never get me out on that!  That is why I fly drones.

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-11-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Good job 007 love it.
2018-11-19
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Awesome footage
2018-11-19
Use props
B1houdini
Second Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

Jimmy,
Beautiful video. Being from AZ I really enjoyed it.
Being a skeptic I did check your location and you were a good 15 miles outside the boundary.
The location was easy to find from the square parking area in your video.
Looked like a great place to video so I am going to head that way soon.
For other skeptics here is a photo of where you were.

2018-11-19
Use props
lordgarth
lvl.3
Flight distance : 9642 ft
United States

Last time I was there had a 3D camera with me.  Would love to add 3D to drone.
2018-11-19
Use props
Sky Carrier
lvl.4
Flight distance : 590102 ft
Netherlands

Wow, that is an amazing video. Many thanks for sharing
2018-11-19
Use props
Jimmy007
lvl.4

United States

B1houdini Posted at 11-19 09:07
Jimmy,
Beautiful video. Being from AZ I really enjoyed it.
Being a skeptic I did check your location and you were a good 15 miles outside the boundary.

That's it B1houdini. Thanks for posting the map and thanks for watching.
2018-11-19
Use props
renacido.dr
New
Chile

nice footage !
2018-11-19
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Excellent footage.
2018-11-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Sweden

Jimmy007 Posted at 11-18 20:59

I wouldn’t worry about it, the person who is Trying to be the drone police, thinks it’s ok to fly his own Mavic Air over 1200 metres and then come on here first to tell us all then to defend what he had done, I think the first rule of flying in almost all countries rules is flying out of VLOS, so if one can’t get across the first rule, then will he/she have any respect for any other rules , likelihood is your more likely to get into trouble when can’t see your drone, than flying around a park.

I’m not really bothered how people fly their drones, but if it’s illegal then go posting in an open forum and talk out of the side of your mouth at others and get it completely a#se ways about face.
2018-11-22
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

EdisonW1979 Posted at 11-18 22:12

It is hard to gauge where you can and can't with all the rules mate. Takes a bigger man to accept when he is wrong though - good for you buddy.
2018-11-22
Use props
EdisonW1979
lvl.4
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 11-22 14:39
I wouldn’t worry about it, the person who is Trying to be the drone police, thinks it’s ok to fly his own Mavic Air over 1200 metres and then come on here first to tell us all then to defend what he had done, I think the first rule of flying in almost all countries rules is flying out of VLOS, so if one can’t get across the first rule, then will he/she have any respect for any other rules , likelihood is your more likely to get into trouble when can’t see your drone, than flying around a park.

I’m not really bothered how people fly their drones, but if it’s illegal then go posting in an open forum and talk out of the side of your mouth at others and get it completely a#se ways about face.

Oh yes, speaks the guy who blatantly flies farther than VLOS as looking your YouTube channel, with the piloting skills of a rookie, and who thinks 25 degrees is a full 1/4 turn!

News flash, I did openly admit in my post that I am guilty of flying BVLOS, not hiding anything! Your attack against me claiming that I can’t follow that rule that I won’t follow any other rule is a weak ad hominem argument to say the least, which I expect from a known troll on this forum.

Here’s another news flash for you, I was flying in open airspace, no restrictions beyond those of standard UAV rules. Jimmy’s flight appeared to take place in a NFZ, which is a MASSIVE no-no. Even though that was cleared up and he showed where he flew from was outside this zone, and I apologized, that still doesn’t negate the argument I made that flying wilfully in an NFZ is one of the worst offences one can do.

Go shove your sanctimonious rhetoric down a hole somewhere, otherwise I’m going to post up (yet again) all the stupid BS you’ve posted proving you have no clue what you’re talking about and how vile a troll you can be around here.
2018-11-23
Use props
EdisonW1979
lvl.4
Canada

A CW Posted at 11-22 23:26
It is hard to gauge where you can and can't with all the rules mate. Takes a bigger man to accept when he is wrong though - good for you buddy.

Thank you my friend... Yes, if you’re proven wrong, always apologize for it, saves one a great deal of pain and embarrassment later on. And let’s face it, we’re only human, we get stuff wrong

But obvioulsy my cause for concern over flying in an NFZ by another pilot brought out the real mall-cop drone police on this board, even though they should be the last person lecturing anyone about anything here...

Now if only I could get a day or two without rain so I can go out and fly my bird
2018-11-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Sweden

EdisonW1979 Posted at 11-23 19:46
Oh yes, speaks the guy who blatantly flies farther than VLOS as looking your YouTube channel, with the piloting skills of a rookie, and who thinks 25 degrees is a full 1/4 turn!

News flash, I did openly admit in my post that I am guilty of flying BVLOS, not hiding anything! Your attack against me claiming that I can’t follow that rule that I won’t follow any other rule is a weak ad hominem argument to say the least, which I expect from a known troll on this forum.

1/ people in glass houses
2/ going through all my YT videos (troll)
3/ your vile comments about me over on spark forum removed for trolling
4/ you must have a very impressive YT channel as someone who professes to be a pro photographer
5/ VLOS applies to all space that shouldn’t be hard to understand
2018-11-23
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

EdisonW1979 Posted at 11-23 19:47
Thank you my friend... Yes, if you’re proven wrong, always apologize for it, saves one a great deal of pain and embarrassment later on. And let’s face it, we’re only human, we get stuff wrong

But obvioulsy my cause for concern over flying in an NFZ by another pilot brought out the real mall-cop drone police on this board, even though they should be the last person lecturing anyone about anything here...

We are indeed only human my friend. Though I do feel there are one or two aliens on here hahahahahaha Jewellers are a funny breed!
2018-11-24
Use props
EdisonW1979
lvl.4
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 11-23 23:52
1/ people in glass houses
2/ going through all my YT videos (troll)
3/ your vile comments about me over on spark forum removed for trolling

Going thru your publicly-visible YouTube channel is not trolling you fool...

And how many of your comments on that Spark thread have been moderated? Give me a break...

YouTube isn't used for photography, it's for VIDEOS, OMG...

You continue to make a fool of yourself around here David, showcasing your complete lack of knowledge. The only thing you seem to be good at is reading the instruction manual for drones. Granted, most guys don't do that, so I'll give you those brownie points. Problem is, you don't even understand the manual fully sometimes!
2018-11-27
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

EdisonW1979 Posted at 11-27 13:17
Going thru your publicly-visible YouTube channel is not trolling you fool...

And how many of your comments on that Spark thread have been moderated? Give me a break...

Well why would you go through my YT channel when you seem to dislike me so much, I’m surprised your bothered, Troll (carefully and systematically search an area for something) There are many photographers that use YT in fact I suspect it’s used extensively by photographers .
Seen as you were so complementary about my YT channel, I took a look at yours, to my surprise it seems you only managed one video so far, and I would have to say your in no position to criticize.
I’m sure we will see many of your professional photos here soon , it’s always nice to critique those who are so fond of critiquing others.

Looking forward to it Eddy.........
2018-11-27
Use props
EdisonW1979
lvl.4
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 11-27 13:34
Well why would you go through my YT channel when you seem to dislike me so much, I’m surprised your bothered, Troll (carefully and systematically search an area for something) There are many photographers that use YT in fact I suspect it’s used extensively by photographers .
Seen as you were so complementary about my YT channel, I took a look at yours, to my surprise it seems you only managed one video so far, and I would have to say your in no position to criticize.
I’m sure we will see many of your professional photos here soon , it’s always nice to critique those who are so fond of critiquing others.

Going thru someone's YouTube channel doesn't make one a troll you fool... You kept professing to everyone here that you're a professional UAV pilot, so I wanted to see your published, public, works. Imagine my surprised when the videos you released were no better than those who pickup a drone for the first time and just hit record! Nice job Mr. Professional...

The fact I have only 1 published video and you seemingly clinging to that fact just demonstrates you attempting another straw man attack on me, as usual. I've come to expect this from you, and it's quite entertaining.

As always, you demonstrate a complete lack of knowledge, MANY of whom here have finally realized that fact. Sorry David, your credibility is VERY thin...
2018-11-27
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

EdisonW1979 Posted at 11-27 13:55
Going thru someone's YouTube channel doesn't make one a troll you fool... You kept professing to everyone here that you're a professional UAV pilot, so I wanted to see your published, public, works. Imagine my surprised when the videos you released were no better than those who pickup a drone for the first time and just hit record! Nice job Mr. Professional...

The fact I have only 1 published video and you seemingly clinging to that fact just demonstrates you attempting another straw man attack on me, as usual. I've come to expect this from you, and it's quite entertaining.

I never professed to being a professional filmmaker, I have a commercial license, I survey wind turbines, I never said anymore or any less than that.Oh and I work for a county SAR group.

I guess we won’t see those pro shots so.
2018-11-27
Use props
FlySD
lvl.4
United States

You're both annoying.  Private message each other and wrestle there instead of hijacking a thread.
2018-11-27
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules