Differences of ND filters
1456 15 2018-11-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
saviour
Second Officer
Flight distance : 604203 ft
Germany

Now that I got my M2P since a few weeks I am planning to buy ND filters for it.
On my MA I had ND filters by PGYTech.

What I am wondering now that I check different ND filters are the price differences.
PGYTech has the cheapest ND filters, I can buy a set of ND 8, 16, 32 and 64 for 55€.
Why is it that other brands, e.g. PolarPro is so much more expensive? A set of ND 4, 8, 16 already costs 80€.
SkyReat is a bit cheaper but still more expensive.

All the filters serve the same purpose. How come they are so different in their prices? I don't think PGYTech has a lower quality.
On my Mavic Air, the PGYTech filters did what they are made for - lowering the light coming on the sensor.
But is there really a difference between those brands?

2018-11-19
Use props
Crio
Second Officer
Flight distance : 67713 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A lot of factors to consider when looking at final price.
Manufacturing costs like source of materials and costs of labor, and also a margin which is probably the main thing.
Similiar quality product can have different prices sometimes.
2018-11-19
Use props
saviour
Second Officer
Germany

Yes I know but why would people buy a more expensive product that has the same usage as one that is cheaper?
From what I've seen, PolarPro is much more popular, everywhere are tests about those ND filters but I never see stuff from PGYTech for example.
2018-11-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Your right, I have a set of 4 ND filters from PP, and a set of 6 from skyreat, skyreat is half the price of PP and quality from both are very good but no difference in fact I would say sky rest are just a little better, but the packaging that you pay dear for and then throw away is far superior on PP.
I don’t need fancy packaging and I don’t want to pay for it, great if your giving a Xmas prezzie, lol
2018-11-19
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Th DJI ones look good.
https://store.dji.com/product/mavic-2-pro-nd-filters-set
2018-11-19
Use props
saviour
Second Officer
Germany

Way too expensive. I guess I will go with Skyreat or PGYTech, I will see. Both much cheaper than PolarPro or DJI.
2018-11-19
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

saviour Posted at 11-19 05:23
Way too expensive. I guess I will go with Skyreat or PGYTech, I will see. Both much cheaper than PolarPro or DJI.

I see - good luck in your decision.
2018-11-19
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4698533 ft
United States

I use a set of 9886 neewer filter 4,8,16,32 on the mavic pro... inexpensive at 26 bucks US... passes gimbal startup and even did a gimbal cal with them attached .. no issues..

seem to require a firm press / pull to get them on and off... looks like a felt like friction ring of some sort...

performance is good and I even believe they are multicoated..

I never thought I would even need the 32 but I had a flight yesterday were even the 32 didn't cut it for a 1/50 shutter so I may have to find either a 64 or a 32/64+CPL

2018-11-19
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2018-11-19
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello an good day saviour. Thank you for the inquiry. Prices of different brands of ND filters depends on the material used to manufacture the said filter that is why these filter even though they have the same use have different prices. For reference I will post a link where you can find the overview of the ND Filter Set for your DJI Mavic 2 Pro https://store.dji.com/product/ma ... sult-v2&position=1. Thank you for your support.
2018-11-19
Use props
fanscb6385d2
lvl.2
Flight distance : 281283 ft
Germany

I personally did not find any high quality ND-filters for the M2P yet. What currently is on the market are more or less of the same (bad) quality. Currently I would go for the cheapest.. (Polar Pro and DJI just have higher margins)
I am still searching for a manufacturer of color-correct, multi coated, high quality glass ND filters for the Mavic 2
2018-11-19
Use props
Thriller
Second Officer
Flight distance : 374337 ft
Italy

At the end I buyed them. I choosed the freewell ones. The  bright day pack (https://www.freewellgear.com/dji ... ter-bright-day.html) with 8/16/32/64 ND/PL. I think they have the right value for money spent.
2018-11-19
Use props
saviour
Second Officer
Germany

El Diablo Posted at 11-19 06:26
I have tried 3 major brands of filters so far and more than a dozen for Photography. I can say that the biggest difference you will find is fitting and coatings. the quality of glass at those price points tend to be the same give or take (the majority of manufacturers use SCHOTT glass made in germany or Hoya glass Made in Japan). Coatings as mentioned before make a huge difference. From flaring and ghosting to the ease of cleaning from natural oils (fingers) and water. Fitting is also important as if you watch on YouTube for example reviews of PGYTECH, they are a little heavier than the stock filters and that can stress the gimbal motors more than usually and perhaps reduce the lifespan over time. Also, the 1st batch of Skyreat NDs didn't fit well with the gimbal cover, other brands rattled or were a little lose, etc. Some brands like PolarPro produce a very hign level of fitting and a fairly neutral color (another common problem with cheaper filters, weird and unnatural variations and color casts between grad levels).

Obviously Marketing expenses also affect the final price and Polarpro is advertised as an American co. compared to the Made in China Skyreat.

That's the answer I was looking for, thank you very much.

I will see if I find a ND set I need. I'm looking for 8, 16, 32, 64 since 4 is useless IMO.

Bist du aus Deutschland?
2018-11-19
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

2018-11-19
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

2018-11-19
Use props
Brett Brandon
lvl.4
United States

The new CAPTCHA crap is the last straw.
Im tired of DJIs crap and am removing my posts and will be on my way.
2018-11-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules