Mavic 2 Pro v. P4P - Picture quality....
1723 20 2018-11-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
KG1962
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2485971 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi,

I still don't think the Mavic 2 Pro pictures, with the Hasselblad lens,  is anywhere near as sharp as the pictures on the P4P  ..... I am a tad disappointed to  be honest ......

anyone feel the same ......?  or am I missing something ... ??

Rgds
2018-11-19
Use props
DanielVieira
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4633533 ft
  • >>>
Portugal

But they have to be as good as the P4P?  

Its true what you said but M2P doesnt come to replace P4P...
The sharpness is there, i believe there is more noise even at ISO 100.

Thanks
2018-11-19
Use props
KG1962
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DanielVieira Posted at 11-19 08:39
But they have to be as good as the P4P?  

Its true what you said but M2P doesnt come to replace P4P...

No, but there was a lot of positive PR about this Hasselblad lens being the  best yet ... and I don't think it is ... the P4P lens seems to give better results !
2018-11-19
Use props
S.D. Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

So far from what I see, I'll have to agree with you. The video footage from my P4P is stunningly crispy clear. I'm still fudging around with different settings to see what comes close? yesterday recording some footage with various settings; waiting to upload sometime this week.
2018-11-19
Use props
KG1962
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

S.D. Pilot Posted at 11-19 08:47
So far from what I see, I'll have to agree with you. The video footage from my P4P is stunningly crispy clear. I'm still fudging around with different settings to see what comes close? yesterday recording some footage with various settings; waiting to upload sometime this week.

Yes, I am having the same problem, love the portability of the M2P, but spending an inordinate amount of time trying to tweak whatever I can but the results are not as good as the P4P ... and they are quite visually clear that they are nowhere near as sharp ..... which is a big disappointment to be honest ......
2018-11-19
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Am yet to see the M2P footage for myself but what I've seen on social media it appears that the footage requires a lot more work in post. Tom from TTT did a great comparison video between the two. The P4P came out on top but let's be clear - the M2P is a successor to the MP and not the P4P.
2018-11-19
Use props
ArcticPhoto
Second Officer
Norway

The Mavic 2 Pro does not have a Hasselblad lens, and DJI has never claimed it does. Since DJI own Hasselblad, they can use that well renowned name in their marketing, and call the camera a Hasselblad camera. DJI says that Hasselblad has been involved in the in-camera image processing with what they call Hasselblad Natural Colour Solution (HNCS), but that's all.
The sensor in the M2P camera is made by Sony, the lens could be made by DJI themselves, as they did in the P4P - and they did a very good job with that.
2018-11-19
Use props
dronybaloney
First Officer
Flight distance : 24897940 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

To be honest , i owned the phantom 4 pro, which i recently sold.l,now i fly with mavic 2 pro , and imo the photos are superb and dynamic . The only thing which i dont like that much is when shooting video , it often show aliasing, which can be more the less be avoided by reducing sharpness to -2.
But photos are very clear and sharp
2018-11-19
Use props
KG1962
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

dronybaloney Posted at 11-19 10:09
To be honest , i owned the phantom 4 pro, which i recently sold.l,now i fly with mavic 2 pro , and imo the photos are superb and dynamic . The only thing which i dont like that much is when shooting video , it often show aliasing, which can be more the less be avoided by reducing sharpness to -2.
But photos are very clear and sharp

Not as sharp as P4P .... I own both ....
2018-11-19
Use props
dronybaloney
First Officer
Flight distance : 24897940 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Yes imo , same sharpness , at least, not much difference for the human eye
2018-11-19
Use props
ArcticPhoto
Second Officer
Norway

The best way to compare photo quality is to take the photos in raw format (DNG) and process them in a raw-converter, for example Lightroom. JPG's from the camera are processed in-camera, and the processing algorithms can be very different in the P4P and M2P.  The DNG-files are unedited files directly from the sensor, and by processing them yourself you can get the best out of the photo. You will be amazed how much more dynamic range it is possible to get from a raw file compared to a JPG if you try to recover apparently burnt-out highlights or seemingly black shadows.
2018-11-19
Use props
fanscb6385d2
lvl.2
Flight distance : 281283 ft
Germany

Why are you guys speaking about a Haselblad lens? The M2P camera only has an Haselblad sticker and a color profile made by Haselblad. That's it... The main difference to the P4P is the custom SOC which is not able to scale down the full 5k resolution properly. The Ambarella SOC of the P4P is already some years old but still far superior to the "no name H2" in the M2P.
I would have loved do pay 50$ more for the Mavic with a genuine Ambarella H2 SOC.
2018-11-19
Use props
CanonMax
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8953215 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

ArcticPhoto Posted at 11-19 11:26
The best way to compare photo quality is to take the photos in raw format (DNG) and process them in a raw-converter, for example Lightroom. JPG's from the camera are processed in-camera, and the processing algorithms can be very different in the P4P and M2P.  The DNG-files are unedited files directly from the sensor, and by processing them yourself you can get the best out of the photo. You will be amazed how much more dynamic range it is possible to get from a raw file compared to a JPG if you try to recover apparently burnt-out highlights or seemingly black shadows.

This is a wise answer... not only because I do follow the same steps

Take care and Fly Safe,

(Canon)Max
2018-11-19
Use props
KG1962
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ArcticPhoto Posted at 11-19 11:26

I only take raw/dng pictures, so are you saying that I should process them into jpegs and compare ???
2018-11-19
Use props
ArcticPhoto
Second Officer
Norway

KG1962 Posted at 11-19 11:58
I only take raw/dng pictures, so are you saying that I should process them into jpegs and compare ???

If you have dng files from the P4P and the M2P you should compare them in the raw converter. Ideally you should have photos of the same subject with the same exposure and camera settings.
First see how much you can lift the shadows before noise becomes a problem, and check if the highlights (sky with clouds on a bright day) are easy to recover. Notice if there are any difference between the two cameras. Zoom in to 100% and see if the corners are as sharp as the center of the photo - they are not, but check if there is a difference between the P4P and the M2P. You should also look for colour fringes in high-contrast areas, like branches against a bright sky.
Take some photos where you intentionally underexpose with a few stops, and see which camera gives best result when you correct the exposure in the raw converter.
Testing a camera, and comparing two cameras, can be complicated, there are so many variables to allow for.
But I know that most people with a P4P and M2P only shoot JPG's,  and that's fine for most uses. But the cameras are so much more capable than what you get from the JPG. For anyone interested in getting highest possible photo quality I highly recommend shooting in raw and learn to process them. It's not difficult at all.
A good compromise is to take all photos in both dng and jpg. You have the jpg's for quick and dirty publishing, and you have the raw to work on if you want to hang a large print of your masterpiece on the wall.
2018-11-19
Use props
BrettK
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Anyone know where I can fine some good comparison shots? I've be interested in seeing them.
2018-11-19
Use props
S.D. Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Hey KG, this video I think does a good job comparing image quality and also confirms P4P camera is be superior to M2.

2018-11-21
Use props
S.D. Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

BrettK Posted at 11-19 13:17
Anyone know where I can fine some good comparison shots? I've be interested in seeing them.

See video posted re: your interest.
2018-11-21
Use props
KG1962
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

S.D. Pilot Posted at 11-21 17:21
See video posted re: your interest.

thanks....
2018-11-28
Use props
KG1962
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ArcticPhoto Posted at 11-19 12:23
If you have dng files from the P4P and the M2P you should compare them in the raw converter. Ideally you should have photos of the same subject with the same exposure and camera settings.
First see how much you can lift the shadows before noise becomes a problem, and check if the highlights (sky with clouds on a bright day) are easy to recover. Notice if there are any difference between the two cameras. Zoom in to 100% and see if the corners are as sharp as the center of the photo - they are not, but check if there is a difference between the P4P and the M2P. You should also look for colour fringes in high-contrast areas, like branches against a bright sky.
Take some photos where you intentionally underexpose with a few stops, and see which camera gives best result when you correct the exposure in the raw converter.

thank you.
2018-11-28
Use props
M Stuart K
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1267717 ft
  • >>>
United States

Why does everyone want the M2P to be a P4P?  If you want a P4P then buy one!  If you want a M2P then buy one.  I personally owned a P4P (sold it) and do not want another P4P just because it 'might" take a bit better pictures or even video.  DJI was very smart to not make both drones display same image quality and have all of you bashing one or the other, as this helps them to continue to sell both drones!  If you have a P4P then have fun lugging the beast around and if you have a M2P then have fun placing it in your pocket on long walks!  Give me a break!  
2018-11-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules