Can these things fly anywhere?
2178 22 2018-11-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Madtownguy
lvl.1

United States

So I guess I broke the law in my virgin flight.  I knew there was protected airspace around airports, but I assumed it was major airports not every po dunk little take off strip there is.  In Florida they are everywhere.  What do people do?  It seems kind of pointless to have a drone if I have to go in the middle of no where, and I know they use drones all the time for real estate photos.  I'm still trying to figure out the color differences as some places have different restrictions than others.  I've downloaded a couple apps but they seem equally worthless for explaining things.  Someone told me my drone wouldn't take off in air it shouldn't be in, but it took off just fine.  Is there any dumbies guide for figuring out this stuff, also I'd like to know the fines because some places might be worth paying the fine to be able to film.  
2018-11-19
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
Flight distance : 9249964 ft
  • >>>
United States

If it's a small airport you probably didn't do anything wrong. Check this map. https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map If the airport is small and doesn't have a control tower I doubt it's on this map. I only notify ATC if I'm flyiny within 5 miles of a major airport. If you are flying close to a smaller airport you can always call them and tell them the details of your current flight and see if it's going to interfere with any pending air traffic. I've flown next to 2 international airports but called the tower at both locations and told them my flight details and they ok'd it.
2018-11-19
Use props
Madtownguy
lvl.1

United States

Bing Err Posted at 11-19 19:11
If it's a small airport you probably didn't do anything wrong. Check this map. https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map If the airport is small and doesn't have a control tower I doubt it's on this map. I only notify ATC if I'm flyiny within 5 miles of a major airport. If you are flying close to a smaller airport you can always call them and tell them the details of your current flight and see if it's going to interfere with any pending air traffic. I've flown next to 2 international airports but called the tower at both locations and told them my flight details and they ok'd it.

I found on the dvi app their covered areas to be drastically less than the faa recommended app.  I just find it a little weird calling an airport to get approval to fly a drone a hundred feet in the air.  If they’re flying that low they have more to worry about than my drone.   I guess they probably foiled some terrorist plot and that’s how these rules came about.  I live near a space center which I think is not helping my area for flying, but it doesn’t stop me from flying so I’m going to cross that bridge when I get to it.  Maybe they just need to have age limits or something, a car is far more dangerous than this little drone, heck I’ve had remote control race cars far more dangerous than this.  
2018-11-19
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Madtownguy Posted at 11-19 19:59
I found on the dvi app their covered areas to be drastically less than the faa recommended app.  I just find it a little weird calling an airport to get approval to fly a drone a hundred feet in the air.  If they’re flying that low they have more to worry about than my drone.   I guess they probably foiled some terrorist plot and that’s how these rules came about.  I live near a space center which I think is not helping my area for flying, but it doesn’t stop me from flying so I’m going to cross that bridge when I get to it.  Maybe they just need to have age limits or something, a car is far more dangerous than this little drone, heck I’ve had remote control race cars far more dangerous than this.

Does your local airport have a control tower?
2018-11-19
Use props
Tahoe Flyer
lvl.3
Flight distance : 122215 ft
United States

Madtownguy Posted at 11-19 19:59
I found on the dvi app their covered areas to be drastically less than the faa recommended app.  I just find it a little weird calling an airport to get approval to fly a drone a hundred feet in the air.  If they’re flying that low they have more to worry about than my drone.   I guess they probably foiled some terrorist plot and that’s how these rules came about.  I live near a space center which I think is not helping my area for flying, but it doesn’t stop me from flying so I’m going to cross that bridge when I get to it.  Maybe they just need to have age limits or something, a car is far more dangerous than this little drone, heck I’ve had remote control race cars far more dangerous than this.

There are responsibilities when sharing airspace hence why there are rules. A small drone could do significant damage to an aircraft. All you have to do is contact ATC to notify them of your flight. Not a big deal. When I go visit family on the east coast I run into the small airport issue along with restrictions on certain public lands. Just what it is.
2018-11-19
Use props
thefriwi
lvl.2
Flight distance : 10643 ft
Spain

Bad news to read, airports are always a no no.
There are a few guides out there but really depends on the county/state you're flying within.
2018-11-20
Use props
QuadBart
lvl.4
Flight distance : 256506 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is really a tough one.  When you look at those FAA provided maps, it seems just about anywhere in a large city has protected airspace, if not a fixed wing type airport, helipads.   I live in one of the "circles" with a helipad from an Emergency Hospital.  I called them and they had no clue what I was talking about.  They didn't have anyone I could talk to either.   So I tried.   

I  wish I could find it now, but a friend of mine found a website "free" that you can file a NOTAM.    Where I work is less than a couple miles from a runway.  We filed this NOTAM and flew drones for demonstration purposes. We never heard from anyone saying "no" or otherwise.  This same buddy also lives less than a couple miles from this airport and he files a NOTAM and flies.  He's been doing it for a couple years now.  With that said he flies responsibly and doesn't try to fly closer to the airport, fly too high, or towards the approach...   With that said he mostly flies FPV racing drones....
2018-11-20
Use props
S.D. Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bing Err Posted at 11-19 19:11
If it's a small airport you probably didn't do anything wrong. Check this map. https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map If the airport is small and doesn't have a control tower I doubt it's on this map. I only notify ATC if I'm flyiny within 5 miles of a major airport. If you are flying close to a smaller airport you can always call them and tell them the details of your current flight and see if it's going to interfere with any pending air traffic. I've flown next to 2 international airports but called the tower at both locations and told them my flight details and they ok'd it.

Agreed, that's exactly what I do if I'm flying within that 5 miles radius of a MAJOR airport. Call ATC and provide them with a heads up. Takes 2 mins.
2018-11-20
Use props
Madtownguy
lvl.1

United States

I’ve got an “airport” near me, but it’s really just a runway.  There’s no commercial flights, you could do sky diving but that’s all I know of.  Problem in Florida there’s a lot of pilots so many put runways in their backyards.  If you look at the map there is almost no open space.  I’m right on the edge like 3.5 miles from that tiny strip.  I’ve never seen anything even close to as low as I fly.  I wish it was just common sense, between idiots and terrorists all the fun crap is being limited.  Luckily one of our large cities Orlando only has a 200-400 fine which I would risk.  They don’t ban flying but with the list of things you can go near they might as well have banned it.  
2018-11-20
Use props
ff22
Second Officer
United States

S.D. Pilot Posted at 11-20 04:58
Agreed, that's exactly what I do if I'm flying within that 5 miles radius of a MAJOR airport. Call ATC and provide them with a heads up. Takes 2 mins.

For those like me, just learning the lingo, ATC is Air Traffic Control.  And it was not in a list of "flying" acronyms that I found yesterday.
2018-11-20
Use props
S.D. Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Madtownguy Posted at 11-20 07:35
I’ve got an “airport” near me, but it’s really just a runway.  There’s no commercial flights, you could do sky diving but that’s all I know of.  Problem in Florida there’s a lot of pilots so many put runways in their backyards.  If you look at the map there is almost no open space.  I’m right on the edge like 3.5 miles from that tiny strip.  I’ve never seen anything even close to as low as I fly.  I wish it was just common sense, between idiots and terrorists all the fun crap is being limited.  Luckily one of our large cities Orlando only has a 200-400 fine which I would risk.  They don’t ban flying but with the list of things you can go near they might as well have banned it.

" I’ve never seen anything even close to as low as I fly."

Then you should be just fine. I'd fly low, probably keeping in under 250 ft with eyes on it at all times. You want to be very aware just in case someone is trying to land. If you happened to lose sight, man you better have excellent listening skills.
2018-11-20
Use props
UAVNV
lvl.2

United States

Register at your local film office, It was one of the most useful things I've done for obtaining permission for flying, even at private residences. they can help you obtain the proper permits to fly if you have a location in mind, even for hobbyists, then the last step will be providing DJI the proper docs, and will unlock the area for you
2018-11-20
Use props
klexal
lvl.2
Flight distance : 551283 ft
United Kingdom

It depends on the laws of your state.

In the UK, if you're either inside the inner border of an ATZ (Aerodrome Traffic Zone) or within 1km of the inside border, it's required by the Civil Aviation Authority to call the ATC (Air Traffic Control) of that ATZ to request clearance to fly. If you don't, you're breaking the law.
2018-11-20
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, sorry for the inconvenience that it caused. Aside from the local policy on your location, there are different restrictions on our end depending on the level of the restriction of the areas such as Restricted Zones, Altitude Zones, Authorization Zones, Warning Zones, Enhanced Warning Zones, Regulatory Restricted Zones, and Recommended Zones. For you to determine if the location would be restricted you could use the link below for your reference. Thank you for the support.

https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map
2018-11-20
Use props
Zatx
Second Officer
Flight distance : 158166 ft
United States

You can fly all you want below 400ft if you are 3.5 miles from an airport. The no-fly zone is 1 mile or less from the airport. You are required to call the airport tower if you're less than five miles from an airport with an actual tower, but this isn't you requesting permission to fly there, you are merely informing them of your flight.
I've called my airport dozens of times and they have never even asked for my name or any other identifying information.
2018-11-20
Use props
Hani
First Officer
Flight distance : 1392995 ft
  • >>>
United States

I’ve got an “airport” near me, but it’s really just a runway.  There’s no commercial flights, you could do sky diving but that’s all I know of.  Problem in Florida there’s a lot of pilots so many put runways in their backyards.  If you look at the map there is almost no open space.  I’m right on the edge like 3.5 miles from that tiny strip.  I’ve never seen anything even close to as low as I fly.  I wish it was just common sense, between idiots and terrorists all the fun crap is being limited.  Luckily one of our large cities Orlando only has a 200-400 fine which I would risk.  They don’t ban flying but with the list of things you can go near they might as well have banned it.

I agree with you. Same here in north Florida.
2018-11-20
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

also I'd like to know the fines because some places might be worth paying the fine to be able to film.

Fine might be affordable.  But should your drone cause a plane or aircraft accident, can you afford price of lives lost?

2018-11-20
Use props
S.D. Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 11-20 15:42
also I'd like to know the fines because some places might be worth paying the fine to be able to film.

Fine might be affordable.  But should your drone cause a plane or aircraft accident, can you afford price of lives lost?

True, was thinking the same.
2018-11-20
Use props
S.D. Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Zatx Posted at 11-20 12:33
You can fly all you want below 400ft if you are 3.5 miles from an airport. The no-fly zone is 1 mile or less from the airport. You are required to call the airport tower if you're less than five miles from an airport with an actual tower, but this isn't you requesting permission to fly there, you are merely informing them of your flight.
I've called my airport dozens of times and they have never even asked for my name or any other identifying information.

Interesting.

I flew a few times near NYC LGA airport and they (ATC) on 2 occasions requested my name, phone number and registration #.

Other times, nothiing...lol go figure.
2018-11-20
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

UAVNV Posted at 11-20 09:45
Register at your local film office, It was one of the most useful things I've done for obtaining permission for flying, even at private residences. they can help you obtain the proper permits to fly if you have a location in mind, even for hobbyists, then the last step will be providing DJI the proper docs, and will unlock the area for you

This is something I didn't know about. Please tell me more about registering at a local film office. What's the process? How do I even find my local film office? Does this get you media credentials? How much did it cost and what access does it grant you? Do you have to pay a fee for each area of drone flight?

All I can find in Minnesota is this link but it seems more specific to filming on the ground. Nothing about drones or aerial shots. https://mnfilmtv.org/filming-mn/permits/
2018-11-20
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU!
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

Screw it, you’re in Florida already! Hahaha. People setup shooting ranges in their backyards, so you’re probably good.
2018-11-20
Use props
Madtownguy
lvl.1

United States

DRONE-flies-YOU! Posted at 11-20 21:46
Screw it, you’re in Florida already! Hahaha. People setup shooting ranges in their backyards, so you’re probably good.

Ha so true.  I’m in an hoa sub division and shoot in backyard when I need to.  Long as bullet doesn’t leave yard it’s legal.  Maybe I was overly worried, I don’t get anywhere near 400ft, I’m not worried at all about hitting a flying vehicle I’m worried about hitting something or someone on land far more.  But I’ll hopefully get insurance after the holidays.  With every flight I get a little more comfortable, haven’t took it too far out over the water after a thread I saw where someone had their drone drop out of sky into water.  Not a lot of options to get one out of the ocean.  Everything is working great so far though, only problem is I have to try starting remote like a dozen times before it turns on.  

Thanks for the replies everyone, I think I was using an app that went a little overboard on airspace, dvi app has plenty of places to fly in Florida.  
2018-11-22
Use props
S.D. Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Madtownguy Posted at 11-22 11:38
Ha so true.  I’m in an hoa sub division and shoot in backyard when I need to.  Long as bullet doesn’t leave yard it’s legal.  Maybe I was overly worried, I don’t get anywhere near 400ft, I’m not worried at all about hitting a flying vehicle I’m worried about hitting something or someone on land far more.  But I’ll hopefully get insurance after the holidays.  With every flight I get a little more comfortable, haven’t took it too far out over the water after a thread I saw where someone had their drone drop out of sky into water.  Not a lot of options to get one out of the ocean.  Everything is working great so far though, only problem is I have to try starting remote like a dozen times before it turns on.  

Thanks for the replies everyone, I think I was using an app that went a little overboard on airspace, dvi app has plenty of places to fly in Florida.

Don't believe everything you read about flying over water. It probably was pilot error to cause that situation you'd mentioned. There's plenty of stories on here about blaming the craft or it's DJI's fault when it clearly was pilot-error.

I have tons miles of flight time over water. Once you've experience it, you'll get hooked. Just make sure you've all you're pre-flight check list thoroughly  and you'll be just fine.
2018-11-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules