strip mapping missions
770 9 2018-11-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
trooper1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 26611 ft
United States

I have a long canal, with twists and turns that I'd like to create a aerial pic mosaic from P4  pro pics taken flying a systematic strip above, and along, the canal. I don't want to fly over a lot of ground on either side of the canal. Can someone recommend a mapping app, for my IPAD, used to control P4, such as map pilot or drone deploy that permits planning narrow, strip missions above a long, narrow target. If so, please give me so tips about how to draw the strip mission.

2018-11-20
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Can someone recommend a mapping app, for my IPAD, used to control P4, such as drone deploy that permits planning narrow, strip missions above a long, narrow target.
How about DroneDeploy?
It allows you to plan the mission and control overlaps.
It also has an additional module in their app store for linear features like roads and pipelines etc but you could probably do what you need with their regular app.
Remember you'll need to have multiple runs over the area you are interested in, not just one pass.
2018-11-21
Use props
trooper1
lvl.3
United States

I got set up with a free Drone Deploy log in and used my P4 Pro to confirm that it can do strip missions, auto camera flights over strips of land, unlike the Map Pilot app.  I was then able to create an image mosaic, using the drone 2 map software. Does anyone know how long a drone deploy log in will last. I know that they offer a 14-day free account, but I wonder if the 14-day limit also applies to a drone deploy log in? Has anyone maintained a DD log in over 2 weeks?  
2018-11-27
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

trooper1 Posted at 11-27 08:10
I got set up with a free Drone Deploy log in and used my P4 Pro to confirm that it can do strip missions, auto camera flights over strips of land, unlike the Map Pilot app.  I was then able to create an image mosaic, using the drone 2 map software. Does anyone know how long a drone deploy log in will last. I know that they offer a 14-day free account, but I wonder if the 14-day limit also applies to a drone deploy log in? Has anyone maintained a DD log in over 2 weeks?

Your login lasts and lasts.
You can continue to fly with DD as long as you like.
After the free trial expires, you only pay if you use their processing of the captured images.
2018-11-27
Use props
trooper1
lvl.3
United States

Thank you very much for that confirmation; I'm advising a state agency and needed to know that. We won't need the DD processing capabilities, since we already pay the $1500/yr for ESRIs Drone2Map. The $80/mo for the Pro DD subscription is actually a better deal.
2018-11-27
Use props
SPIKE_151
lvl.4
Flight distance : 69767 ft
United Kingdom

you could quite easily set this up with litchi as well
2018-11-29
Use props
trooper1
lvl.3
United States

We have Litchi, also, along with Map Pilot. We have created strip missions with Litchi, but decided it took too long [less automation moving the vertexes around]. We do a lot of missions, so that we need time savings.  
The best suite to achieve a  balance of time and capability for mapping and video capture is: Litchi, Map Pilot, and DD [free subscription only]
2018-11-29
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

SPIKE_151 Posted at 11-29 05:38

Aloha SPIKE,

You figured out how to do that to!  My first ones did not work but I eventually got the waypoints close enough that Microsoft Image Composite Editor could make it work.  With the scaling, rotation, etc.; it is fairly easy to get the right combination.

Now to find a use for it!

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-11-29
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

SPIKE_151 Posted at 11-29 05:38

If you think that, you've never used a proper mapping app.
Litchi is not a suitable app for mapping at all.
2018-11-30
Use props
SPIKE_151
lvl.4
Flight distance : 69767 ft
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 11-30 05:14
If you think that, you've never used a proper mapping app.
Litchi is not a suitable map for mapping at all.

Yeah whatever negasaurus
2018-11-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules