How to unlock a no fly zone NFZ in advance? P4 Pro
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Phantomski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

Hi!
So I did some playing a few days ago and noticed the definition of NFZs has changed.. Never had to deal with it since p3 like 2 years ago...  I actually like what I see - this makes more sense to me than the old circle only approach...

Anyhow, it would seem that now i have to be there, i have to start my motors to get the unlock dialog. Is there a way i can unlock the zone BEFORE I go there.. like even days in advance to make sure I got everything set as I am planning things, rather than wasting my time just before my fly, burning the battery, and praying the process actually works?

In my specific case, I did not care.. I just moved the take-off location few hundred feet.. but it would be nice to get all of this prepped at home, while i have a reliable internet connection and so on...
Thx in advance!

Screenshot_20181120-215035.png
2018-11-21
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Phantomski. Thank you for the inquiry. You may try to use the official DJI self unlocking website for you to be able to unlock a zone where you want to fly your DJI drone. For reference I will be posting a link where you can find the DJI self unlocking website https://www.dji.com/flysafe/self-unlock. Thank you.
2018-11-21
Use props
1Eagle
Second Officer
Flight distance : 290348 ft
United States

If you use your PC at home you can go to this web page
https://www.dji.com/flysafe/self-unlock
Request the unlock.
You can then download the cert onto your RC and then onto the AC and activate before you leave home.
When you get to the zone, you are ready to rock and roll.
2018-11-21
Use props
1Eagle
Second Officer
United States

I don't have internet in most of the NFZ's I need to fly. So I have to do it this way every time.
2018-11-21
Use props
1Eagle
Second Officer
United States

Also, make sure you get your serial number correct.
Ohs are usually zeros. Learned the hard way.
2018-11-21
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
United States

1Eagle Posted at 11-21 10:32
I don't have internet in most of the NFZ's I need to fly. So I have to do it this way every time.

u do not need internet WHILE you fly? That used to be required a year of more ago, as the app would constantly check with the server.
2018-11-21
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 11-21 10:24
Hello and good day Phantomski. Thank you for the inquiry. You may try to use the official DJI self unlocking website for you to be able to unlock a zone where you want to fly your DJI drone. For reference I will be posting a link where you can find the DJI self unlocking website https://www.dji.com/flysafe/self-unlock. Thank you.

Thx! I was looking at flysafe website, but never found the link for "self-unlock" - i guess i either need to bookmark it, or find a link. Thx though. Will test in a sec.
2018-11-21
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
United States

1Eagle Posted at 11-21 10:42
Also, make sure you get your serial number correct.
Ohs are usually zeros. Learned the hard way.

I got my serial on airdata, so that's easy.. although i believe there's a printer and internal serial which differ slightly....

Good info from all! thx to you all!
2018-11-21
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
United States

Found the unlock link on flysafe.. i swear it was not there.. but maybe because of color, i did not think it was clickable? not sure. Testing now!

Flight controller serial?! not the Drone serial! Come on!

Will see if my tablet remembers it.

GT
2018-11-21
Use props
1Eagle
Second Officer
United States

Phantomski Posted at 11-21 12:20
u do not need internet WHILE you fly? That used to be required a year of more ago, as the app would constantly check with the server.

I believe if you are using a phone or tablet with a data plan, verizon, att, or something like that, then you have internet whether it be data usage or wi-fi connection. I am using a crystalsky 7.85 display with no data plan. So I can only connect to internet with wi-fi. So the answer is you do not need internet to fly. But you will need internet to download the unlock license.
2018-11-21
Use props
1Eagle
Second Officer
United States

Phantomski Posted at 11-21 12:23
I got my serial on airdata, so that's easy.. although i believe there's a printer and internal serial which differ slightly....

Good info from all! thx to you all!

The serial number they want is your remote control s/n so they can send you the unlock license via the internet.
The point is you can do all of this at home or office before you get to the fly zone.

2018-11-21
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Phantomski Posted at 11-21 12:22
Thx! I was looking at flysafe website, but never found the link for "self-unlock" - i guess i either need to bookmark it, or find a link. Thx though. Will test in a sec.

Thank you for the response. If you have any other concerns or inquiry please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are here to help you. Have a safe and happy flying.
2018-11-21
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
United States

Thx, the testing on unlock license/cert worked well.. I will hopefully be able to test the flying part tonight, and i will try to confirm for sure whether i need internet or not. I already downloaded the certs - so i would be expecting a data link is not needed! Thx for all the help!
2018-11-21
Use props
1Eagle
Second Officer
United States

Phantomski Posted at 11-21 13:37
Thx, the testing on unlock license/cert worked well.. I will hopefully be able to test the flying part tonight, and i will try to confirm for sure whether i need internet or not. I already downloaded the certs - so i would be expecting a data link is not needed! Thx for all the help!

Since you already downloaded the certs then all you have to do is apply them to the aircraft and then activate them and you are good to go. Remember they only last three days.
Fly safe and fly free.
2018-11-21
Use props
Steve oothoudt
New

United States

I have only had my P4 for a few days and all ready HATE it. I have worked exclusively with Yuneec for 2 years because of their 2nd to none customer service and ease of use. This thing has been a problem since the 1st time i turned it on. Problems I have never encountered with any yuneec products, I have 3 of their drones. 1st the camera would not boot up, then the compass was having issues calibrating. I did get one 2 min flight in before it lost sync. I did the firmware update only to be told I’m in a no NFZ. Why? Sooooo.... then I follow the directions to get authorization, which was approved, only to have the controller tell me it can not unlock the zone. To say o was mad is an understatement! I am not impressed with DJI at all and think a company with that much power of a consumer is communist, o wait where is DJI built! O that’s right! A COMMUNIST country! We will are not a communist country and will not be treated as such. I get the safety aspect of  it but this is over the top!
2018-11-25
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
United States

1Eagle Posted at 11-21 12:30
The serial number they want is your remote control s/n so they can send you the unlock license via the internet.
The point is you can do all of this at home or office before you get to the fly zone.

I finally had a chance to test - realized i was using the wrong serial after all - clearly flite controller and remote controller are NOT the same thing!  - but i reauthorized through the app - worked perfectly. What surprised me, it would seem it removed ALL restrictions at this airport.. which I cannot say i approve 100%.. i still think there should be an area just around the airport that cannot be self-unlocked that easily.. but I still flew low and only where i committed to when filing with the airport....
2018-11-25
Use props
1Eagle
Second Officer
United States

Phantomski Posted at 11-25 16:32
I finally had a chance to test - realized i was using the wrong serial after all - clearly flite controller and remote controller are NOT the same thing!  - but i reauthorized through the app - worked perfectly. What surprised me, it would seem it removed ALL restrictions at this airport.. which I cannot say i approve 100%.. i still think there should be an area just around the airport that cannot be self-unlocked that easily.. but I still flew low and only where i committed to when filing with the airport....

It has to do with the type of airport. The airport in my area is untowered and it is only a yellow zone. So it gets fully unlocked. Major airports have red and yellow zones, only the outer edges can be unlocked. The newest version of the flysafe has hourglass shapes which seems to make more sense.
2018-11-27
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
United States

yes, overall i agree with what i see.. i  would just agree every airport to have red around the runway itself.. just to curb idiocy a bit more.
Overall i like the new shape of the no fly zones - they make more sense addressing approach and depart path, and the unlock works well!

2018-11-27
Use props
1Eagle
Second Officer
United States

Phantomski Posted at 11-27 13:54
yes, overall i agree with what i see.. i  would just agree every airport to have red around the runway itself.. just to curb idiocy a bit more.
Overall i like the new shape of the no fly zones - they make more sense addressing approach and depart path, and the unlock works well!

Glad you got it working. Cheers.
Fly smart, fly safe and have fun.
2018-11-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules