3519 10 2018-11-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Michael Perfect
lvl.2
Philippines

Hi,
Simple question,
What monopod is commonly and reliably used with the Ronin S ?
I'm looking for one slightly on the longer side, that will not feel like it's putting too much strain on the attachment, and possibly utilises the big screw (or even both screws if that's a thing?! ) of the grip.
Ideally around 60$.
Thanks
2018-11-21
Use props
Michael Perfect
lvl.2
Philippines

anyone there ?
2018-11-22
Use props
Michael Perfect
lvl.2
Philippines

Is doing so dangerous or something ?
Can the screw in the grip not handle it maybe ?
2018-11-22
Use props
amorrison
lvl.3
Flight distance : 325230 ft
  • >>>
United States

I just use the two I have - both Gitzo carbon fiber. The heavy duty one is my favorite. I have used both the 1/4 inch standard screw and the larger 3/8 inch screw and both work fine. The 3/8 is the strongest. The only thing to watch for is longitudinal vibrations or resonances whic occurr with some settings in the gimbal.  If it  gets out of control turn the gimbal off and restart then try auto tune.  In my case those vibrations started when I would accidentally bump the monopod.
2018-11-23
Use props
Michael Perfect
lvl.2
Philippines

amorrison Posted at 11-23 06:59
I just use the two I have - both Gitzo carbon fiber. The heavy duty one is my favorite. I have used both the 1/4 inch standard screw and the larger 3/8 inch screw and both work fine. The 3/8 is the strongest. The only thing to watch for is longitudinal vibrations or resonances whic occurr with some settings in the gimbal.  If it  gets out of control turn the gimbal off and restart then try auto tune.  In my case those vibrations started when I would accidentally bump the monopod.

Hey Amorrison, thanks for your feedback, much appreciated. Will try not to bump the monopod too much!

Which one of the Gitzo do you call the "heavy duty" one ?
https://www.manfrotto.us/gitzo/monopods/carbon-monopods

I think these are above my budget tho !

2018-11-23
Use props
raphael_bellizzi
lvl.3
Flight distance : 757976 ft
  • >>>
Canada

What about just an extension that you can add the original tripod/grip?

https://www.amazon.ca/Portable-E ... s=ronin+s+extension
2018-11-23
Use props
Michael Perfect
lvl.2
Philippines

raphael_bellizzi Posted at 11-23 13:39
What about just an extension that you can add the original tripod/grip?

https://www.amazon.ca/Portable-Extension-Monopod-Handheld-Screws/dp/B07GBTFBSQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1543008991&sr=8-1&keywords=ronin+s+extension

Oooohhh nice one ! Never stumbled upon that one yet, thanks !

I'm surprised that they didn't do a plate with 2 screws to make it stronger ! There are 2 screw holes on the grip, why not utilise them when you're making a product meant just for that specific product !?
2018-11-23
Use props
raphael_bellizzi
lvl.3
Flight distance : 757976 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Michael Perfect Posted at 11-23 21:47
Oooohhh nice one ! Never stumbled upon that one yet, thanks !

I'm surprised that they didn't do a plate with 2 screws to make it stronger ! There are 2 screw holes on the grip, why not utilise them when you're making a product meant just for that specific product !?

Because it’s not practical. You can’t screw the tripod if you have two screws. You would need something like 2 manual screws like the small plate that comes with the Ronin.

3/8 is strong enough.
2018-11-24
Use props
Michael Perfect
lvl.2
Philippines

raphael_bellizzi Posted at 11-24 03:43
Because it’s not practical. You can’t screw the tripod if you have two screws. You would need something like 2 manual screws like the small plate that comes with the Ronin.

3/8 is strong enough.

Yeah I was dreaming of a small removable plate that has 2 screws you just screw in from underneath  

But ok I'll take your word for it 3/8 is strong enough !
2018-11-24
Use props
amorrison
lvl.3
Flight distance : 325230 ft
  • >>>
United States

Michael Perfect Posted at 11-23 11:21
Hey Amorrison, thanks for your feedback, much appreciated. Will try not to bump the monopod too much!

Which one of the Gitzo do you call the "heavy duty" one ?

Mine are over 10 years old but the closest ones now are the series 4 and the series 2 for the lighter one.. It’s probably overkill but if the monopod is two flexible I would worry about the vibrations. One note though - once they are attached there’s no quick way to put it down. That built in tripod is very good for that.  I end up carrying the monopod with gimbal mounted GH5s and a 1dxm2 around the sidelines of home NFL games.
2018-11-24
Use props
Michael Perfect
lvl.2
Philippines

amorrison Posted at 11-24 14:41
Mine are over 10 years old but the closest ones now are the series 4 and the series 2 for the lighter one.. It’s probably overkill but if the monopod is two flexible I would worry about the vibrations. One note though - once they are attached there’s no quick way to put it down. That built in tripod is very good for that.  I end up carrying the monopod with gimbal mounted GH5s and a 1dxm2 around the sidelines of home NFL games.

Good point, yeah putting down the monopod with the gimbal attached to it must take as much time as getting the shot lol Thanks for bringing that up.

Yeah the 4 & 2 series must be absolutely great for that, I would also prefer to be a bit on the overkill side for this kind of use especially horizontal. But it's completely out of my budget.
If you have any idea of another model/brand under $100 that would still be very robust, I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks
2018-11-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules