Edit stitched raw spherical panoramas in Lightroom
5485 10 2018-11-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ellest
lvl.1

Italy

Hello everyone,
recently I bought the Mavir Air and I really like the panoramas from far up, they are really nice, expecially the spherical ones turned in tiny planet, but the drone saves them in jpeg... Only the unstitched are in raw, and if you stitch them manually they come out as an horizontal panorama not a tiny planet.
So, what I wanted to do is take the raw images, stitch them in a panorama, edit them (still in raw) and then turn them in tiny planet and export them in jpeg (or the opposite... I don't think matters). I tried doing that in many ways but never ended up with what I want.
First, this is what it should look like (not edited): this is how it looks like in the dji go4 app

As you can see, there is that over-exposed area that I cannot correct if the image is not in raw.
I tried stitching the raw images in lightroom:

Edit them there (only the sky, just to demonstrate) and get them to photoshop where I cleaned the black spot:
Then I resized the image to 1:1, turned it upside-down, and applied the polar coordinates filter:

As you can see, there is less sky and the center is deformed.
The sky has that line due to the filter... thats irrelevant as this is only about the image shape not the edit...
Then I noticed that the pano taken by the mavic is in 2:1 proportions (the jpeg one), so in photoshop I resized the canvas, scaled by the content and added a bit of fake sky.

then applied the filter

as you can see, the castle in the center is still deformed and I cannot figure out why
I also tried to stitch the pano with Microsoft ICE, but it cannot output a raw image, so I cannot edit it properly.
when I added more sky, I didnt touched the bottom part, so it is not distorted.
Can someone help me?

Francesco

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
2018-11-21
Use props
Ellest
lvl.1

Italy

No one had the same problem?
2018-11-23
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

This is an area that is a bit more difficult.
At least for me.
I usually use Affinity photo for the editing and Autopano Giga for the stitching.
2018-11-23
Use props
M4veric17
lvl.3
Flight distance : 519715 ft
France

I wonder if the distorted castle is not due to the fact that it seems you were straight above it when shooting your pano ? If so, it might explain the issue as i think that all objects that are straight under and above the drone when shooting a 360 pano might have distortion...

Also, regarding MS ICE, you say it cannot output RAW images but it actually can export as TIFF.

Finally, you might be interesting with these threads regarding Panos :

Creating 360° Panos with Microsoft ICE
how i do 360 panoramas for Google StreetView
How to post 360 Pano directly in the Forum

Hope this helps.

2018-11-24
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
Flight distance : 9249964 ft
  • >>>
United States

Can you batch process your RAW photos for exposure, then export them as .jpg and stitch in MS ICE?
2018-11-24
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I stitch them in media maker
2018-11-24
Use props
Ellest
lvl.1

Italy

So, messing around with the image I got some results...
The jpeg pano made by the drone seem to have more of the castle at the bottom, it seems that photoshop crops that while stitching the pano.
In photoshop, I opened the raw stitched panorama, then added over it the jpeg pano, with 50% opacity. Then I lined up the raw image with the jpeg, and ended up with a blank space at the bottom. Then proceded as before with the effect: this is the result.

The castle walls are perfect (more or less...), this confirms my therory, but I have that blank space that I have to fill now.
Obviously I cannot take the photo of the castle 90° down and put it in the empty space as the rest is deformed and that image is not..
At this point there are two ways to fix this:
Understand why photoshop doesn't stitch the pano properly and crops this part, and fix this,
or deform the photo of the castle 90° down to cover the hole (which I have not been able to do properly).
@M4veric17 The castle is distorted because a part of it is missing, the center part, so photoshop apply the filter with a smaller radius. objects straight down in a pano are distorted in a cylindrical pano, not in a spherical one, as you can see in the image that I obtained applyng the filter to the jpeg pano. I will try out again ICE .

@Bing Err yes, I can, but if I stitch them in raw I can also apply a graduated filter and better balance the image.

@A CW I tryied that but it can not stitch raw at all.

2018-11-26
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ellest Posted at 11-26 09:02
So, messing around with the image I got some results...
The jpeg pano made by the drone seem to have more of the castle at the bottom, it seems that photoshop crops that while stitching the pano.
In photoshop, I opened the raw stitched panorama, then added over it the jpeg pano, with 50% opacity. Then I lined up the raw image with the jpeg, and ended up with a blank space at the bottom. Then proceded as before with the effect: this is the result.

Good work!
2018-11-26
Use props
Ellest
lvl.1

Italy

Thanks but now I still have to fill that hole in the center, distorting the image taken streight down, and I don't know how to do that
2018-11-26
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ellest Posted at 11-26 09:06
Thanks but now I still have to fill that hole in the center, distorting the image taken streight down, and I don't know how to do that

God knows pal - good luck with it
2018-11-26
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Ellest Posted at 11-26 09:06

If you can send me the raw files, I can try using Autopano giga.
(wetransfer might be handy for that).

You can send me the link via PM
2018-11-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules