3858 57 2018-11-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Aerial-Image
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1452408 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

My P3A switched off when upside down .... so will see if the P4P does...
2018-12-2
Use props
TheMann58
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bashy Posted at 12-2 19:23
If this is the case, it is quite a recent addition because it didnt do it when mine rolled in long grass back last winter

I agree this behavior was not included at least in the early firmware releases for the P4 as I had an incident on 18MAR2016 in which my new P4 flying at full forward stick at a foot off the ground (not a smart move, I know) hit a high spot of ground with front right leg and proceeded to do 6 complete forward 360 degree summersaults just inches above the ground losing one propeller tip on the first flip and then flew up in the air, and regained sufficient flight stability that, with difficulty, I was able to land it safely. Only damage sustained during this incident was a touch of dirt (no scratches) near bottom of right front leg and one broken propeller tip. An incredibly fortunate outcome. If this new power-loss feature on tilting more than 90 degrees had been in the early firmware, my P4 would have been rolling end-over-end on the ground (instead of inches above the ground) and would have likely sustained significant damage.
2018-12-2
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mine just powers up to compensate for the tilt, its sommat ya don't want to be doing lol
2018-12-2
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Azerbaijan

Once I get back home from travels .. I will be testing my P3P for this motor stop ...

As to restarting motors in the air ... I think most people will be in 'shock' and never remember to hit both sticks to restart ! Plus the P3 / P4 drops like a brick when it loses power ... you better be at good height to get out of it ...

Nigel
2018-12-2
Use props
TheMann58
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>
United States

solentlife Posted at 12-2 23:44
Once I get back home from travels .. I will be testing my P3P for this motor stop ...

As to restarting motors in the air ... I think most people will be in 'shock' and never remember to hit both sticks to restart ! Plus the P3 / P4 drops like a brick when it loses power ... you better be at good height to get out of it ...

I agree, Nigel, you’d have to have complete situational awareness, steady nerves, and have been at least 250 feet in the air to have any hope of this working. There’s a few YouTube videoes of pilots intentionally killing the motors with the left stick down and in-RTH button kill command and then restarting motors with the CSC command and achieving stable flight, but starting at 400 feet elevation.
2018-12-3
Use props
Aerial-Image
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1452408 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You can test this safely just remove your props, fire it up holding above your head so it thinks it lifting off... and tilt it over.... They cut off almost immediately.... faster than doing a CSC. - Thought it would as the P3A did the same.
2018-12-3
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Azerbaijan

TheMann58 Posted at 12-3 09:25
I agree, Nigel, you’d have to have complete situational awareness, steady nerves, and have been at least 250 feet in the air to have any hope of this working. There’s a few YouTube videoes of pilots intentionally killing the motors with the left stick down and in-RTH button kill command and then restarting motors with the CSC command and achieving stable flight, but starting at 400 feet elevation.

With P3 series ... only way to stop motors in air is CSC - both sticks together ....

I don't think I'll try it !! I did do it when I hit the tree though - but thats different.

Nigel
2018-12-3
Use props
Jclark5101
lvl.2
Flight distance : 189843 ft
United States

Sold my P3S to a buddy at work and he is going to remove props and start it and flip it up on its side and see if it kills the motors. My Spark ,Mavic Air,Mavic Zoom and the P4P I just bought all will stop the motors when you turn them on their side 90 deg. Willing to bet money the P3S will do the same.
2018-12-3
Use props
Jclark5101
lvl.2
Flight distance : 189843 ft
United States

Update my buddy checked the P3S and it want cut off so not sure about all the dji drones doing this all the ones I have do cut off.
2018-12-3
Use props
Goldenseal
lvl.4
Flight distance : 487034 ft
United States

My P3 hit a palm tree. It did a 360 while heading for the ground. It up righted itself.  I flew it back to me and landed.
2018-12-3
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Azerbaijan

Maybe it depends what FW is installed ?

Can those with examples of motors stopping / not stopping please say what FW is installed ? For the new owners - not the GO version as that does not decide this .. it has to be the Firmware installed to the AC itself.

Nigel
2018-12-3
Use props
fansb1fe1104
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3372566 ft
United States

TheMann58 Posted at 12-2 23:18
I agree this behavior was not included at least in the early firmware releases for the P4 as I had an incident on 18MAR2016 in which my new P4 flying at full forward stick at a foot off the ground (not a smart move, I know) hit a high spot of ground with front right leg and proceeded to do 6 complete forward 360 degree summersaults just inches above the ground losing one propeller tip on the first flip and then flew up in the air, and regained sufficient flight stability that, with difficulty, I was able to land it safely. Only damage sustained during this incident was a touch of dirt (no scratches) near bottom of right front leg and one broken propeller tip. An incredibly fortunate outcome. If this new power-loss feature on tilting more than 90 degrees had been in the early firmware, my P4 would have been rolling end-over-end on the ground (instead of inches above the ground) and would have likely sustained significant damage.

You are correct about this....I bought my P4 standard back in 2016 and a few months in I stupidly turned off OA to try to fly through a walk way that had a fence on both sides of it. I hit the fence and it flipped upside down and crashed. The motors were still running and me panicking not wanting to ruin my new drone stupidly picked it up instead of remaining calm and using the remote to stop the motors. I cut my hand up pretty bad, luckily i didn't need any stitches. But anyhow you are correct the motors kept running when it was upside down on the ground. I haven't crashed since so I don't know if it would stay running now.
2018-12-3
Use props
1Eagle
Second Officer
Flight distance : 290348 ft
United States

So it appears this guy hit some power wires after all.
DJI charged him 260 euros and sent him a refurbished P4P

Looks like all is well that ends well.
Good for you Peter.....

2018-12-14
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

1Eagle Posted at 12-14 15:14
So it appears this guy hit some power wires after all.
DJI charged him 260 euros and sent him a refurbished P4P
https://youtu.be/IO0L-aEnaEE

See post 34 i think it is
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 034&pid=1665966
2018-12-14
Use props
KennyB
lvl.4
Flight distance : 674137 ft
United States

That super sucks. A trip from hell. Hang in there. Hope this doesn't desuade you from flying.
2018-12-17
Use props
1Eagle
Second Officer
Flight distance : 290348 ft
United States

Bashy Posted at 12-14 21:01
See post 34 i think it is
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=173034&pid=1665966

Yeah, my bad. Sorry for reiteration. I was a day late and a dollar short.  LOL
2018-12-17
Use props
ChavaLozVi
lvl.3
Flight distance : 89738 ft

Mexico

That's the worst possible thing I can imagine happening on a day out recording. The sound it made when it crashed is terrible
2018-12-17
Use props
Joszhe Tosa
Second Officer

United States

He needs to calm down? If he gets any more calmer he'll be in a coma!

My sides hurt from laughing so much at this guy's misfortune. SMH
2018-12-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules