6326 67 2018-11-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Hummingbird.UAV
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 27489951 ft
  • >>>
Canada

After six months with the Mavic Air I regret not getting a Parrot Anafi because of the loud noise of the Mavic Air.  What do you think?
Single SelectVote, Total 128 people participate in voting

Voting has ended

28.12% (36)
63.28% (81)
8.59% (11)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2018-11-23
Use props
dronybaloney
First Officer
Flight distance : 24897940 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

A few months ago i wanted a backup drone to take with me on trips abroad . After watching youtube reviews , i decided to get the parrot anafi in stead of mavic air. Really no regrets, its so quiet. No one notice this drone . And very light . The controller weighs a little bit more , but i took the metal balance blocks out and reduces the weight.
2018-11-24
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The noise was the biggest detractor of owning the MA for me.
2018-11-24
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Beating a dead horse, but I voted nonetheless.  Props are not an issue for me.
2018-11-24
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Canada

Lucas775 Posted at 11-24 17:37

Really, DJI made quieter props for my Mavic Pro and Phantom 4.  Maybe DJI will get the hint and make some for my Mavic Air too.
2018-11-24
Use props
Kas
First Officer
Flight distance : 1086276 ft
United Kingdom

I voted 2: Standard props too noisy.
While quieter props would be appreciated, I would never swap out my Air for anything available at the moment, there's just too much about it I like!
2018-11-25
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hummingbird.UAV Posted at 11-24 23:13
Really, DJI made quieter props for my Mavic Pro and Phantom 4.  Maybe DJI will get the hint and make some for my Mavic Air too.

They should also make them for the Phantom series.
2018-11-25
Use props
savagemic
lvl.2
Flight distance : 272523 ft
United States

Kas Posted at 11-25 03:31
I voted 2: Standard props too noisy.
While quieter props would be appreciated, I would never swap out my Air for anything available at the moment, there's just too much about it I like!

Like the consistent distance issues it has? Lost connection completely at 2,000 ft
2018-11-25
Use props
Kas
First Officer
Flight distance : 1086276 ft
United Kingdom

savagemic Posted at 11-25 11:46
Like the consistent distance issues it has? Lost connection completely at 2,000 ft

I have lost signal at 1,500 ft in some areas.
In different locations I fly to 6,500 ft and beyond.
No complaints here...
2018-11-25
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

Would love to see some low noise props for the MA.  Noise is my biggest complaint with this bird...
2018-11-25
Use props
小仙女的星巴克
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4657841 ft
  • >>>
United States

i heard Master Screws is making some for MA soon
2018-11-25
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

小仙女的星巴克 Posted at 11-25 12:19

That would be fantastic...
2018-11-25
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Canada

小仙女的星巴克 Posted at 11-25 12:19

Good to hear, I'll be watching for them.
2018-11-26
Use props
Bokepacha
lvl.4
Flight distance : 149265 ft
Netherlands

Oracle Miata Posted at 11-25 12:10
Would love to see some low noise props for the MA.  Noise is my biggest complaint with this bird...

+1

Same problem and complaint for me
2018-11-27
Use props
HendrikJB
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2132792 ft
South Africa

Lucas775 Posted at 11-24 17:37

Maybe not for you but it does draw attention of people who really HATE drones because they don`t understand them and then one has a lot of problems.
2018-11-27
Use props
HendrikJB
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2132792 ft
South Africa

I`m one that will JUMP at more quiet props!!
2018-11-27
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

I think many would jump at the option to purchase low noise props.  DJI is really missing an opportunity here IMHO.
2018-11-27
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Oracle Miata Posted at 11-27 06:24
I think many would jump at the option to purchase low noise props.  DJI is really missing an opportunity here IMHO.

Indeed. If DJI introduced low noise props on the MA it would be greatly improved.
2018-11-28
Use props
rms59
lvl.1

United States

I was going to forget the MA because of the noise complaints but a friend said his Spark is just as noisy. Like it's been said, the revolution of the props makes it noisy. So..... I guess I will just go ahead and buy one.
2018-11-28
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Canada

rms59 Posted at 11-28 17:41
I was going to forget the MA because of the noise complaints but a friend said his Spark is just as noisy. Like it's been said, the revolution of the props makes it noisy. So..... I guess I will just go ahead and buy one.

Having both a Spark and Mavic Air I would say the MA is considerably noisier.  Also have a Mavic Pro and was astounded by how much quieter it got using low noise props.  Come on DJI with MA low noise props!
2018-11-28
Use props
Boffin
Second Officer
Australia

The blade diameter of the props is limited by the physical dimensions of the Mavic Air. For portability, small props are required so they have to spin fast to fly the machine, thus they are noisy.

An increase in the blade pitch (angle) could slow the motors down a bit, but then the acceleration would suffer and the ESC's would have to be re-programmed or modified, just like with the differences between Mavic Pro and Mavic Pro Platinum.

Small changes to the tip geometry (winglets) or blade shape (to scimitar shape) could help reduce in-flight noise a little. Maybe DJI considered this, who knows?

Enough people have complained/commented about this so DJI are probably very aware of the issue.

For background, I make (mould) carbon fibre propellers for my competition model aircraft and believe me, it takes a lot of trial and errors to improve on the commercial offerings from big companies that have the resources to develop props .

I suspect that Mavic Air operators are going to have to learn to live with the noise (my opinion only)
2018-11-28
Use props
BManiac
lvl.2
Flight distance : 780735 ft
  • >>>
United States

I hope they work on making low noise props. I can not believe it’s not possible!
2018-11-29
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Boffin Posted at 11-28 20:39
The blade diameter of the props is limited by the physical dimensions of the Mavic Air. For portability, small props are required so they have to spin fast to fly the machine, thus they are noisy.

An increase in the blade pitch (angle) could slow the motors down a bit, but then the acceleration would suffer and the ESC's would have to be re-programmed or modified, just like with the differences between Mavic Pro and Mavic Pro Platinum.
While I mostly agree with your statements, the MA already accelerates like a snail... so no big loss there.  I also own the Spark and the MA, and the MA is quite a bit louder it appears.  This could be pitch though...  I also feel like DJI has the bankroll to develop some quieter props and send out some firmware to make an adjustment to the ESC’s, which I believe are of the newer variety already.
2018-11-29
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I find the sound of the MA props reassuring knowing it is easier to locate in an otherwise large empty sky.  That said, in populated areas I could see the need for quieter props. Wait and see I guess.
2018-11-29
Use props
djiuser_fTQEPVBOusAk
lvl.1
United States

Give up better quality and more funtionality for less noise.....Does that makes sense for you?
2018-12-25
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

dji your drunk, go home...  says 14 mins ago and last post was marked  nov 29th
drunkgohome 1.png
drunkgohome2.png
2018-12-25
Use props
Romeo2004
lvl.1
United States

Who cares? After 20 feet away you can't barely hear it...unless you're a Bat.
2018-12-25
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Romeo2004 Posted at 12-25 05:03
Who cares? After 20 feet away you can't barely hear it...unless you're a Bat.

you got something against us bats?   i can hear it upwards of 600 feet away and 200 feet up..
2018-12-25
Use props
Romeo2004
lvl.1
United States

HereForTheBeer Posted at 12-25 05:04
you got something against us bats?   i can hear it upwards of 600 feet away and 200 feet up..

TheN you should work for NASA.
2018-12-25
Use props
Romeo2004
lvl.1
United States

HereForTheBeer Posted at 12-25 05:04

You probably meant 600 inches which is 50 feet and that still quite a feat. Ancient Aliens is looking for people with your prowess to detect UFO's.
2018-12-25
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Romeo2004 Posted at 12-25 13:58
You probably meant 600 inches which is 50 feet and that still quite a feat. Ancient Aliens is looking for people with your prowess to detect UFO's.

I don’t suffer from hearing loss yet I guess.   I can hear it over 200 meters/600 feet out and 75 meters +/250 feet + up on a clear calm day without sport mode enabled or fighting the wind.   Infact I can been able to hear it when small headwind and in sport mode from well over 1000 feet away over looking the valley from ridge side.  

I hate hate hate the noise it makes soo much my GF also refuses to fly with me nearly as much as when I had the Mavic Pro because Mavic Air is so loud and shrill sounding it’s embarrassing.  
2018-12-25
Use props
OneDoesNotSimply
Second Officer
Flight distance : 662644 ft
United States

Hummingbird.UAV Posted at 11-28 18:18
Having both a Spark and Mavic Air I would say the MA is considerably noisier.  Also have a Mavic Pro and was astounded by how much quieter it got using low noise props.  Come on DJI with MA low noise props!

Agree, friend has a Spark, I have a MA and we flew at the same time. The MA is either much louder, or is at a higher pitch which makes it seem louder.
2018-12-25
Use props
Romeo2004
lvl.1
United States

HereForTheBeer Posted at 12-25 16:19
I don’t suffer from hearing loss yet I guess.   I can hear it over 200 meters/600 feet out and 75 meters +/250 feet + up on a clear calm day without sport mode enabled or fighting the wind.   Infact I can been able to hear it when small headwind and in sport mode from well over 1000 feet away over looking the valley from ridge side.  

I hate hate hate the noise it makes soo much  my GF also refuses to fly with me nearly as much as when I had the Mavic Pro because Mavic Air is so loud and shrill sounding it’s embarrassing.

Wow! Next week I will be heading to VA to get a hearing test done, and I suggest you apply to work with an agency like the FBI, they can probably use your super hearing powers. Lol
2018-12-25
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Anafi is inferior to the MA in most area's. Not the biggest fan of parrot to start with as the build quality is not up to standard. It would be nice if they made some quieter props but until then, angry wasp it is but still quieter than a Phantom. Now that is a noisy drone.......but still awesome.
2018-12-26
Use props
ShadyDealer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 983428 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Certainly louder than my Mav Pro, not sure how it compares to my Mav Pro 2 as I haven’t flown it yet not really a big issue but the Air is loud!
2018-12-26
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

ShadyDealer Posted at 2018-12-26 03:56
Certainly louder than my Mav Pro, not sure how it compares to my Mav Pro 2 as I haven’t flown it yet not really a big issue but the Air is loud!

mavic 2 pro is about as quiet or maybe little quieter than the mavic pro
2019-1-11
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

not all about pure decibel level either...  also the pitch of the sound!  the pitch of the sound is wat is more irritating and abrasive to the ears... and we still animals below everything we gained as a society.. so we are hardwired for certain things and i think mavic air hitting on something on a instinct level makes it even less pleasant.   everyone says it sounds like a massive nest of p*ssed off bees..well maybe thats the box its ticketing with us as humans..

mavic pro/mavic 2 just blends into the background atmore more easily and i have hovered over people and they never knew it was there.. but with mavic air they seem to always know it is there..same thign when i take my mavic air out to look at deer...  deer dont like it they move on when they hear it.  mavic pro they didnt seem to care.  
2019-1-11
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Canada

HereForTheBeer Posted at 1-11 15:04
not all about pure decibel level either...  also the pitch of the sound!  the pitch of the sound is wat is more irritating and abrasive to the ears... and we still animals below everything we gained as a society.. so we are hardwired for certain things and i think mavic air hitting on something on a instinct level makes it even less pleasant.   everyone says it sounds like a massive nest of p*ssed off bees..well maybe thats the box its ticketing with us as humans..

mavic pro/mavic 2 just blends into the background atmore more easily and i have hovered over people and they never knew it was there.. but with mavic air they seem to always know it is there..same thign when i take my mavic air out to look at deer...  deer dont like it they move on when they hear it.  mavic pro they didnt seem to care.

Are you using the low noise props on your Mavic Pro/Mavic 2?  I agree about the pitch of sound, the Mavic Air has higher rpm motors in hover thus a higher pitched noise.  Maybe a wider blade would result in more lift such that the rpm can be less.  Probably a design like the Anafi would work better, noise wise that is.
2019-1-11
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Hummingbird.UAV Posted at 1-11 15:27
Are you using the low noise props on your Mavic Pro/Mavic 2?  I agree about the pitch of sound, the Mavic Air has higher rpm motors in hover thus a higher pitched noise.  Maybe a wider blade would result in more lift such that the rpm can be less.  Probably a design like the Anafi would work better, noise wise that is.

back when i owned my mavic pro i did yea loved the lower noise.  

and they definitely could increase the bite/angle as well  which would require less RPM for lift.  add a winglet top to cut down on chopping/turbulence should do amazing  if they have to maybe they could make them folding if too large for the mavic air
2019-1-11
Use props
Spark in the Park
lvl.3
Flight distance : 725961 ft
Australia

I agree the mavic air props are waaay too noisy and ive noticed they have a bug in the firmware giving out main controller error barometer data error due to either heat or going from apas to sport then back to apas. Ive owned two mavic airs and they both did it straight out of box on latest firmware.
2019-1-12
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules