Inspire 2 motors - one feels rough to turn (by hand)
3254 15 2018-11-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GeoffG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 810082 ft
United Kingdom

The tiltle says it all really.

I was checking prop mounts today and rotated each motor shaft in turn, back and forth.  One (the front right when viewed from rear) is definitely rougher to turn than the others.
I asked a couple of other people to do this test without telling them anything, and they both identified the same motor.  The other 3 motors all feel about the same, quite smooth.

It's only been used about 10 times and no crashes, heavy landings or anything untoward.

Has anyone else noticed this, I wonder?

2018-11-24
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Definitely abnormal. Most likely a debris inside or a faulty bearing. Try to blow with strong compressor air gun thru vent gaps. Eventually motor replacement may be required.
2018-11-24
Use props
Altitude Drones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1488520 ft
United Kingdom

Might be a dodgy bearing. I'd have it looked at by an expert or just have it replaced,
2018-11-24
Use props
GeoffG
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Thanks both,
It's still under warranty so I'll get it back to DJI.

It's strange because it feels like variation in the magnetic attraction as the rotor moves past the poles pieces on the stator rather than dirt or bearing breakdown.
2018-11-24
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

GeoffG Posted at 11-24 23:28
Thanks both,
It's still under warranty so I'll get it back to DJI.

Definitely return it if thats the case.
2018-11-25
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day GeoffG. I am sorry to know that you are having issues with one of the motors of your DJI Inspire 2. Since this issue is happening with one of the motors of your DJI Inspire 2. The best thing you need to do is to contact DJI Support at https://www.dji.com/support to create and open a ticket for your DJI Inspire 2. Thank you for your support.

2018-11-25
Use props
GeoffG
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 11-25 08:22
Hello and good day GeoffG. I am sorry to know that you are having issues with one of the motors of your DJI Inspire 2. Since this issue is happening with one of the motors of your DJI Inspire 2. The best thing you need to do is to contact DJI Support at https://www.dji.com/support to create and open a ticket for your DJI Inspire 2. Thank you for your support.

[view_image]

Thanks Stephen, I'll do that now.
2018-11-26
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

GeoffG Posted at 11-26 01:18
Thanks Stephen, I'll do that now.

You are much welcome. If you have any other inquiries or concerns please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are here to help you.
2018-11-26
Use props
GeoffG
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I returned the I2 to DJI Europe and received it back last night.  8 days, door to door, which I feel is very good.  4 days in transit, 2 days inspection, 2 days repair.

4 new motors, 4 new ESCs and new prop mounts (white prop mounts are still stiff).   No problems, no discussions, job done.  

Will test it today.  Thanks to all concerned.
2018-12-11
Use props
gersphoto.orange
lvl.4
France

Had the same problem with mine but the left one...
2018-12-11
Use props
GeoffG
lvl.4
United Kingdom

gersphoto.orange Posted at 12-11 09:31
Had the same problem with mine but the left one...

Interesting - I'm wondering whether the replacement will improve the erratic hovering performance of mine.  Hope so.  
Was yours a warranty job?
2018-12-11
Use props
gersphoto.orange
lvl.4
France

Coming back from DJI Europe since july. It's a "new" one normaly but can't work whith that bird. Unstable, drift, toilet bowl,
2018-12-11
Use props
gersphoto.orange
lvl.4
France

GeoffG Posted at 12-11 11:12
Interesting - I'm wondering whether the replacement will improve the erratic hovering performance of mine.  Hope so.  
Was yours a warranty job?

What issue you had before changing motors ?
2018-12-12
Use props
JBSonic
lvl.4
Flight distance : 779019 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

gersphoto.orange Posted at 12-11 12:46
Coming back from DJI Europe since july. It's a "new" one normaly but can't work whith that bird. Unstable, drift, toilet bowl,

Yea the Inspire 2 has very poor position and altitude hold unfortunately. It is normal for it to move around several meters in any direction, up down left right.
Regarding the toilet bowl effect, make sure that you calibrated your compass properly and check that it is giving good data, also IMU calibration helps. But again, the I2 will never hold its exact spot (even a few meters over the ground in range of the Visual sensors)
There might also be firmware related issues, I use Crystal Sky and my compass just spins and spins around like mad, I believe it is broken in the firmware which may or may not get fixed at some point in the distant future.

If you want to more stable and reliable drone then I would recommend the Mavic or Phantom series, also the Inspire 1 is better than the I2 at holding position, dont ask me why because I have no idea
2018-12-12
Use props
gersphoto.orange
lvl.4
France

Yes I had an Inspire 1 to and it's realy better.
My Inspire 2 have a rotation on itself on raw axis, and then a toilet bowl if I don't stop this mouvement on GPS Mode.
In Atti mode can not stabilize, always living on right. Came back to left with RC controller, then it stopped and go back to right on itself
I never had an alert like Error compass or GPS
when the engines are hot it seems that the problem stops
2018-12-12
Use props
GeoffG
lvl.4
United Kingdom

GeoffG Posted at 12-11 00:19
I returned the I2 to DJI Europe and received it back last night.  8 days, door to door, which I feel is very good.  4 days in transit, 2 days inspection, 2 days repair.

4 new motors, 4 new ESCs and new prop mounts (white prop mounts are still stiff).   No problems, no discussions, job done.  

Finally got out to test it today.  All working, but just as before regarding stability issues (twitchy hover performance and drifting around).  I had a P3 originally, then P4. Both were rock solid compared to I2. Shame.  

2018-12-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules