Yaw drift
5301 16 2018-11-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DarkZero
lvl.4
Flight distance : 923127 ft
Australia

Ever since i purchase the P4A i have always had this little bit of yaw drift, i haven't really cared because i hardly ever stay stationary.
Now that i have been taking a lot more panoramas and stationary shots its become annoying.

Running latest version (release) of everything, anyone got a reason or solution?
2018-11-25
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha DarkZero,

Today, I was flying my Mavic Air and I had problems with my nVidia Shield K1, a security update and who knows what.  But, I tried to take a PANO 360 anyway and things really got crazy.  I barely got home and when I did I paused the Mavic Air out and above the landing area just to catch my breath.  One of the things that caught my attention was how the Mavic Air was slowly rotating on the YAW axis.  

Now, I have commented on other threads about possible causes for the YAW rotation you are describing, but today, with my PANO 360 photo effort, I noticed how similar it was to the rotation you get when you go into the 360 display of the PANO (on SkyPixel, etc.).  I wonder if the YAW rotation is an artifact of the PANO 360 applet?

Of course, this observation does not help anyone, unless the techs are able to use it in their search for a solution of yours and other's YAW rotation problem.  In my case, I shut everything down and waited five minutes before restarting with another battery.  Everything started working properly, but the idea stuck in my mind.

Just sayin or maybe just rambling on.

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-11-26
Use props
JacobW
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1250564 ft
United States

This post caught my eye.  My Mavic Pro does the EXACT same thing.  Nobody can figure out anything wrong with it.  It's the only aircraft out of my 3 current DJI drones that does that, and I have NO idea why.
2018-11-26
Use props
DarkZero
lvl.4
Australia

JacobW Posted at 11-26 17:13
This post caught my eye.  My Mavic Pro does the EXACT same thing.  Nobody can figure out anything wrong with it.  It's the only aircraft out of my 3 current DJI drones that does that, and I have NO idea why.

I had the same issue with my Mavic Pro at work, ended up being the camera gimbal issue, check out my post here it may help you.
Mavic Yaw Issue Forum Post
2018-11-26
Use props
DarkZero
lvl.4
Australia

Cetacean Posted at 11-26 00:46
Aloha DarkZero,

Today, I was flying my Mavic Air and I had problems with my nVidia Shield K1, a security update and who knows what.  But, I tried to take a PANO 360 anyway and things really got crazy.  I barely got home and when I did I paused the Mavic Air out and above the landing area just to catch my breath.  One of the things that caught my attention was how the Mavic Air was slowly rotating on the YAW axis.  

I fly only manual and have only ever used one of the smart features for flying using an iPad and DJI Go 4 even trying to fly straight with no wind i will see it yaw. It s a pain!

I hope you get your issue sorted mate.
2018-11-26
Use props
JacobW
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1250564 ft
United States

DarkZero Posted at 11-26 18:25
I had the same issue with my Mavic Pro at work, ended up being the camera gimbal issue, check out my post here it may help you.
Mavic Yaw Issue Forum Post

Very interesting.  I’ll have to try that next time.  Although the issue has gotten worse.  Not only does the camera yaw, but the whole aircraft strafes.  Sometimes to the left, sometimes to the right.  I’ve done everything from calibrating the controller, compass and IMU to the props and more.  I have to input opposite stick movement on the controller just to get it to fly straight.

Doesn’t really affect me anymore, since I’m using my new P4P in replacement of the Mavic, but still a very interesting issue.  

I remember flying once, at least 5 different error messages popped up on the screen at once.  “Compass redundancy switch”, “ATTI mode”, etc.  and after that, never had the errors again.

Might have to send it for diagnosis.
2018-11-26
Use props
DarkZero
lvl.4
Australia

JacobW Posted at 11-26 19:32
Very interesting.  I’ll have to try that next time.  Although the issue has gotten worse.  Not only does the camera yaw, but the whole aircraft strafes.  Sometimes to the left, sometimes to the right.  I’ve done everything from calibrating the controller, compass and IMU to the props and more.  I have to input opposite stick movement on the controller just to get it to fly straight.

Doesn’t really affect me anymore, since I’m using my new P4P in replacement of the Mavic, but still a very interesting issue.  

yeah that sounds like it has some major issues.
2018-11-26
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

DarkZero Posted at 11-26 18:31
I fly only manual and have only ever used one of the smart features for flying using an iPad and DJI Go 4 even trying to fly straight with no wind i will see it yaw. It s a pain!

I hope you get your issue sorted mate.

Aloha DarkZero,

After the problems yesterday, I did a calibration of my controller.  It was stubborn between 85%  and 100% at first and then 95% and 100%, but I finally got them to run smoothly.  Today, my flight went off without a hitch.  I even had it hover steadily for a minute or so at about 5 or 6 meters without YAW or drift, steady as a rock.  My Mavic Air sticks now go up to 100%.  I did not have a problem earlier, maybe the app or firmware update made the sticks more sensitive.

Mahalo for finding that Post from Natalia from back in June (Your Post #4)!  I had looked for that post previously but could not find it.  One of the Forum members needed to do that remedy.

Mahalo again!

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-11-26
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

JacobW Posted at 11-26 19:32
Very interesting.  I’ll have to try that next time.  Although the issue has gotten worse.  Not only does the camera yaw, but the whole aircraft strafes.  Sometimes to the left, sometimes to the right.  I’ve done everything from calibrating the controller, compass and IMU to the props and more.  I have to input opposite stick movement on the controller just to get it to fly straight.

Aloha Jacob,

See my Post #8 to DZ.  My problem appears to have been sticky sticks, a hard controller calibration straightened it out.  If the sticks do not easily go to 100%, you can have control, YAW and drift problems.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-11-26
Use props
DarkZero
lvl.4
Australia

Cetacean Posted at 11-26 21:24
Aloha DarkZero,

After the problems yesterday, I did a calibration of my controller.  It was stubborn between 85%  and 100% at first and then 95% and 100%, but I finally got them to run smoothly.  Today, my flight went off without a hitch.  I even had it hover steadily for a minute or so at about 5 or 6 meters without YAW or drift, steady as a rock.  My Mavic Air sticks now go up to 100%.  I did not have a problem earlier, maybe the app or firmware update made the sticks more sensitive.

I will also do this on the weekend And see if it resolves my issue.

Glad to help and thanks for your input into my issue
2018-11-26
Use props
djiuser_Tval4ONGpeTY
New

United States

I have a similar issue:  DJI Mavic Air consistently rotates slowly clockwise on the yaw axis.  How does one calibrate a controller?
2019-9-1
Use props
DarkZero
lvl.4
Australia

I gave up trying to get this thing straight, i just now fly to counter the shift in yaw. Sometimes it's fine and sometimes it's not.
2019-9-1
Use props
rwynant V1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>

DarkZero Posted at 9-1 20:42
I gave up trying to get this thing straight, i just now fly to counter the shift in yaw. Sometimes it's fine and sometimes it's not.

I did a job for a colleague,  that included POI progress imaging, and flying down streets under construction doing video........He called me out on the bird flying a little sideways, yawed to the right when it should be flying straight.

After much calibrating, and testing, I decided to have the compass legs on my P4Pro replaced.  Solved the issues....all of them!!

Randy
2019-10-4
Use props
cameracollector
lvl.4
Flight distance : 807133 ft

I get the same thing with both my P4 and P4A, in fact just started a thread on it.  It became real noticeable when I was flying between waypoints, and the yaw / heading seems to drift westward.

You can see in this video I did flying over a tree plantation. At the start of the video look at the gap between the trees just left of center about 2/3 way up the screen. Put your mouse pointer on it and watch the gap go to the left. This flight was between two waypoints heading north to south.

2019-10-5
Use props
DarkZero
lvl.4
Australia

rwynant V1 Posted at 10-4 08:56
I did a job for a colleague,  that included POI progress imaging, and flying down streets under construction doing video........He called me out on the bird flying a little sideways, yawed to the right when it should be flying straight.

After much calibrating, and testing, I decided to have the compass legs on my P4Pro replaced.  Solved the issues....all of them!!

Thanks, i will log a warranty with DJI, hopefully they can do it.
2019-11-13
Use props
DarkZero
lvl.4
Australia

cameracollector Posted at 10-5 09:24
I get the same thing with both my P4 and P4A, in fact just started a thread on it.  It became real noticeable when I was flying between waypoints, and the yaw / heading seems to drift westward.

You can see in this video I did flying over a tree plantation. At the start of the video look at the gap between the trees just left of center about 2/3 way up the screen. Put your mouse pointer on it and watch the gap go to the left. This flight was between two waypoints heading north to south.

Exactly what mine does sometimes too. Right now it is dead straight.
2019-11-13
Use props
djiuser_v1tN7HbE22Lj
lvl.1
Flight distance : 341319 ft

Turkey

Hi there!
Did you fix this problem? I changed yaw motor because of crash. Then when I power on the drone camera angle wrong like your issue. If you found any solution please share with me
2020-1-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules