Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Waterproof MP2? Here's how it went down...literally
817 19 2018-11-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
surfandturftravel
lvl.1
Flight distance : 565531 ft
Georgia

Thought I would share my experience crashing my drone in the river, recovering it after 45 mins, steps I took to try and get it working again and of course....the results

2018-11-25
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi surfandturftravel, we do feel sad with your last experience. Mavic 2 Pro is not waterproof. We suggest sending in the aircraft for repairs. Kindly contact our Product Support for us to assist you. Thank you.
2018-11-26
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Interesting video
2018-11-26
Use props
surfandturftravel
lvl.1
Georgia

jacksonnai Posted at 11-26 03:15
Interesting video

Thanks man.  Life gives ya lemons...well you know the rest.  
2018-11-26
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Darn........,...
2018-11-26
Use props
surfandturftravel
lvl.1
Georgia

Thats one way of putting it.  
2018-11-26
Use props
surfandturftravel
lvl.1
Georgia

Thanks Jackson
2018-11-26
Use props
surfandturftravel
lvl.1
Georgia

DJI Gamora Posted at 11-26 02:04
Hi surfandturftravel, we do feel sad with your last experience. Mavic 2 Pro is not waterproof. We suggest sending in the aircraft for repairs. Kindly contact our Product Support for us to assist you. Thank you.

There in lies the problem.  As a digital nomad I am never i one place for more than a week so getting it shipped back to me is almost impossible when customs gets involved.  I took it to the DJI certified repair shop here in Tbilisi Georgia and they are seeing what they can do, but they said it could be a while since parts for MP2 are hard to get right now.  

Fingers Crossed and thanks for the condolences and suggestion.
2018-11-26
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

hey dude - thats really bad luck - thanks for sharing your experience though. During your start up i noticed the drone was on a metal table..aluminium maybe - still would not be my preferred choice for a set up station.  
Also you applied an interesting start up procedure (perhaps it is correct for your drone) but we used to say that the devises should be switched on in a particular order.
I have had personal experience of faulty setup when i have put my devises on in the wrong order.
My order of connection is - first i put the drone on (MP original) then i put my rc on and then i put the app on (or it comes on itself when i connect the cable to my phone.

Did any app data appear at all or was it just your image that was not visible.
If only video image was problematic perhaps set your iso high for handling indoor light better.

with nothing to loose i suggest try tuing devises on in the recomeneded order.
2018-11-26
Use props
surfandturftravel
lvl.1
Georgia

Appreciate the thorough tips!  Hadn't thought about the aluminum table...maybe causing some interference.  

I used to use the procedure you suggested but now with the MP2, if I don't power the RC, then the app and finally the drone the DJI app crashes.  Dunno why.  Doesn't happen on my GFs iphone, so may be an android thing or my phone is just a pos.  Have the drone getting serviced now, but they sent me a picture and it look like I have a few noticeable short circuits on the MB.  
2018-11-26
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

surfandturftravel Posted at 11-26 07:35
Appreciate the thorough tips!  Hadn't thought about the aluminum table...maybe causing some interference.  

I used to use the procedure you suggested but now with the MP2, if I don't power the RC, then the app and finally the drone the DJI app crashes.  Dunno why.  Doesn't happen on my GFs iphone, so may be an android thing or my phone is just a pos.  Have the drone getting serviced now, but they sent me a picture and it look like I have a few noticeable short circuits on the MB.

definately the best option to get it repaired properly - esp with water .. all the best
2018-11-26
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

You are welcome
2018-11-27
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Btw welcome to the forum!
2018-11-27
Use props
Thriller
lvl.4
Flight distance : 374337 ft
Italy

Didi you try to push the pairing button on the drone?
2018-11-27
Use props
JAgraphics
lvl.4
United Kingdom

From many years of discussing this sort of thing with stills cameras:-

Getting wet in clean Fresh water:-

1 REMOVE ALL BATTERIES ASAP As soon as you can get hold of the wet device remove the power sources.
This is less of a problem than it used to be as things are now written to flash and don't need a lithium battery as CMOS used to need

2 Remove amy memory cards, accessories etc that can be removed.

3  open any doors

4 drain any water  and use tissue, paper towel to get excess water out.

5 Do NOT use rice.  This will get into places it shouldn't and swell so you cant get it out again.
If you must use sealed packets of silica gel.

6 If possible basic disassembly  

7 Sit on a tray on paper towels in a warm environment EG airing cupboard for 14 days.

8  After 14 days do an inspection and try a battery.....

If dirty fresh water:-

1 Remove batteries and memory cards

2 diss assemble

3 wash in CLEAN fresh water (preferably distilled ). It's wet and dead anyway this will clean the dirt off and you are at worst no worse off.

4 Go to 7 above for drying.

IF wet from salt water.... try remedy above for dirty water but praying also helps at this point.

If you are insured check the small print before doing any of this as disassembly might  invalidate the claim.
so try the above with out opening up the case.

According to my Civil Aviation Regulator:-  The only truly safe operation is where you don't take off. :-)
But where is the fun in a life like that?  
2018-11-27
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

No good but thanks for sharing your experience.
2018-11-27
Use props
surfandturftravel
lvl.1
Georgia

So the repair DJI repair facility here in Tbilisi said the drone can not be repaired.  They said the receiver unit is fried and there are gimbel issues which are causing the camera to lock into place...being that it is Tbilisi, Georgia I'm not convinced that they know all the ins and outs of the MP2.  They suggested I buy a brand new one from them.

I really hate to have to buy a new one when I've only had it for just over a month.  

Any suggestions?

Send to a dji repair facility?
Are drone units available from DJI without having to buy all the bells and whistles?  

Any help is appreciated.  Thx.
2018-11-27
Use props
Thriller
lvl.4
Italy

JAgraphics Posted at 11-27 03:55
From many years of discussing this sort of thing with stills cameras:-

Getting wet in clean Fresh water:-

When water gets dry I believe it leaves corrosion. What do you think to remove battery and put the drone in a bin full of  alcohol that clean the dirty and evaporate without  residue?
2018-11-28
Use props
JAgraphics
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Thriller Posted at 11-28 01:52
When water gets dry I believe it leaves corrosion. What do you think to remove battery and put the drone in a bin full of  alcohol that clean the dirty and evaporate without  residue?

It depends on the water.... seriously!!!
Hard water will leave a residue. See shower heads & taps in a hard water area.

Wipe with alcohol  (but don't use a sIngle Malt :-) )   I would not leave it in a bath as alcohol can rot things.  a quick wipe should be all that is needed.

You can use distilled water rather than alcohol.

Have a look in an electronics supply shop RS, Farnell (Marshals inthe usa?)  for electronic cleaning fluid,  However do NOT put drone in a bath of it as they can rot plastics.  A wipe is good.
2018-11-28
Use props
Thriller
lvl.4
Italy

JAgraphics Posted at 11-28 01:56
It depends on the water.... seriously!!!
Hard water will leave a residue. See shower heads & taps in a hard water area.

Thanks for the feedback
2018-11-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules