2612 42 2018-11-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kolvi_1
lvl.2
Flight distance : 64790 ft
Germany

Dear drone friends...

unfortunately my mavic pro autolanded in water and was not recoverable. Even more unfortunately, I did read some posts of operating over water incl. recommendations to switch off the auto-systems and fly pure manually only afterwards...

Finally this was the only "black spot" during my recent holidays of which I enjoyed every day... as I cannot change the past, I am looking forward probably in buying a new one (mavic 2?) next year...

at least the mavic pro submitted a video from its last flight :-))

2018-11-27
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Sad story...
Hope you can get airborne again
2018-11-27
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

PS, I subscribed to your channel to give you some support.
(trainsandtrucks is mine)
2018-11-27
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

Thanks for sharing your drones last moments - so sorry to see.
2018-11-27
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sorry to read that - hope you are back in the air soon.
2018-11-27
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Kolvi_1. I am sorry to know what happened to your DJI Mavic Pro. Did you contact DJI support with regards to this matter? Thank you for sharing this wonderful video with us today from your DJI Mavic Pro. In addition thank you for choosing the DJI Mavic 2 Pro as your future drone for next year.
2018-11-27
Use props
El Kab0ng
Second Officer
Flight distance : 156499 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ugh.  Gut wrenching.  It looks like it was going to be a nice video right before it turned into a nightmare.  
2018-11-27
Use props
FlyDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1636286 ft
Denmark

Sorry to read this, but it don't look like "auto landing" to me... more like flying too low without OA or enough GPS sats (even though it's not worth much above water) or maybe some wrong stick movements. Hope for more luck to you with your next drone.
2018-11-27
Use props
Gazmg
Second Officer
Flight distance : 195358 ft
United Kingdom

Lots of Mavics have flown over water ??? someone advise is this correct ? Does say turn of VPS..

https://store.dji.com/guides/how-to-fly-safely-over-water/
2018-11-27
Use props
Kolvi_1
lvl.2
Germany

FlyDK Posted at 11-27 10:42
Sorry to read this, but it don't look like "auto landing" to me... more like flying too low without OA or enough GPS sats (even though it's not worth much above water) or maybe some wrong stick movements. Hope for more luck to you with your next drone.

It showed autoland on the remote and I tried to pull up and move right to the land
2018-11-27
Use props
Kolvi_1
lvl.2
Germany

DJI Stephen Posted at 11-27 08:07
Hello and good day Kolvi_1. I am sorry to know what happened to your DJI Mavic Pro. Did you contact DJI support with regards to this matter? Thank you for sharing this wonderful video with us today from your DJI Mavic Pro. In addition thank you for choosing the DJI Mavic 2 Pro as your future drone for next year.

I did not contact support as the drone is lost or are there some malfunctioning data around to be recoverable? Where and how to read out?
2018-11-27
Use props
Kolvi_1
lvl.2
Germany

DJI Stephen Posted at 11-27 08:07

I did not contact support as the drone is lost or are there some malfunctioning data around to be recoverable? Where and how to read out?
2018-11-27
Use props
Thriller
Second Officer
Flight distance : 374337 ft
Italy

Sorry for your loss... Hoping you'll fly again soon
2018-11-28
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Kolvi_1 Posted at 11-27 22:15

Good day Kolvi_1. You may contact DJI support at https://www.dji.com/support. If you have any other concerns please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are here to help you.

2018-11-28
Use props
Kolvi_1
lvl.2
Germany

DJI Stephen Posted at 11-28 07:06
Good day Kolvi_1. You may contact DJI support at https://www.dji.com/support. If you have any other concerns please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are here to help you.

[view_image]

Yes, many thanks, meanwhile I am in contact to the support team and they will Analyse the data.
2018-11-28
Use props
Mavic_Jay
First Officer
Flight distance : 2113419 ft
United Kingdom

Heart breaking moment
2018-11-29
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Kolvi_1 Posted at 11-28 07:18
Yes, many thanks, meanwhile I am in contact to the support team and they will Analyse the data.

Alright, please keep us posted if you need further help. Thanks for your support.
2018-11-29
Use props
Zyras
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Rip drone
2018-11-29
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

That sucks. Hope you're back flying soon.
2018-11-29
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Appears you were just flying too low.  Once you get below a meter or so above the ground, it will try to land.  In this case, it did land.  If you had forced the stick full up, it would have gone up and saved it.  You touched the water once and it came up.  It would have gone up from there if you had hit the stick right away and held it up.  Learning experience.  Play with scenarios like that when you replace it so you know what you can and can't do.
2018-12-5
Use props
Kolvi_1
lvl.2
Germany

Yes i was low, but the a/c did not hit water during straight flight....but suddenly stopped and landed, before landing I fully commanded upward...
2018-12-5
Use props
MavSpa_user
First Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

Can you upload your flightlog? http://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/upload/
we can take a look what happen there.
2018-12-6
Use props
Bob Brown
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yeah flight log from the mobile device would be great. Curious how it decided to auto land in water the way it did? Was the battery super duper low? wth?!?!
2018-12-6
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4698533 ft
United States

looks to me like as he was flying forward it was real close to the surface.. when he stopped, let go of the sticks, whatever, it went into braking, which tilted back and rear props struck water, then lost rest of the altitude (inches) it had above water...

fly bold, die hard
2018-12-6
Use props
BumblerBee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 639764 ft
Norway

Agree with MavSpa_user - it's difficult to say what happened before seeing the logs from the app.
Were you in Sports mode, perchance? When accelerating in sports mode, you will lose quite a lot of altitude.
Another question - did you have any sort of landing gear extenders attached to Mavic? (I experienced once unwarranted autolanding with those on, after that stopping to use them)

As you can see from my avatar, I fly predominantly over water, though keeping above 5-10 meters above the surface. Never had the need to turn off the sensors, except when flying towards the Sun.

2018-12-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Kolvi_1 Posted at 11-27 22:13
It showed autoland on the remote and I tried to pull up and move right to the land

Not sure you would have had enough time, you were pretty close to the water, switching from sport to p or visa versa will always cancel auto land much quicker, but you won’t have had the time, I would have thought it worthwhile getting a diver to go down to retrieve it, but I think you said you were on vacation so maybe no so easy.
2018-12-6
Use props
GhostWolf010
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1118323 ft
Netherlands

To bad you lost your drone ,  hope you will fly quickly again. At least you can say you have filmed underwater with a mavic
2018-12-6
Use props
Kolvi_1
lvl.2
Germany

Thanks all to your comments, would have better looked up here more often before... flightlog will follow next week ... actually i am getting more and more unsure by the comments, however I did definitely NOT use a sport mode and so far I do not remember stopping the mavic by hand over water...
2018-12-6
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
Second Officer
United States

Kolvi_1 Posted at 12-6 07:31
Thanks all to your comments, would have better looked up here more often before... flightlog will follow next week ... actually i am getting more and more unsure by the comments, however I did definitely NOT use a sport mode and so far I do not remember stopping the mavic by hand over water...

if you didn't stop then you might have gotten a (false) forward collision sensor warning from glare .. you can see the video tilt and jerk as it came to a stop.. and without logs.. looks like the rear props hit...  at 10 seconds or so you see rapid deceleration followed by a slight sink..again VPS doesnt work well above water... it looses a couple inches of altitude during the braking perhaps as well...

if you were flying by 'screen' instead of looking at the aircraft inches over the water this kind of stuff happens.. and as you said.. turning off sensors you dont need is always a good idea, I turn off collision sensors on every flight once I get above my RTH altitude so that I dont get false stops from the collision sensors

and the manual clearly states water as a surface the sensors don't work reliably over.. so its pretty much up to pilot skill and decision/risk management

2018-12-6
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
Second Officer
United States

if you play the flight back in the flight log it will show you any warning banners that come up, although I don't know if it shows collision avoidance stops as a warning banner just the radar bars in camera view.. ?  
2018-12-6
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
Second Officer
United States

from the mavic pro manual

The performance of the Forward and Downward Vision Systems are affected by the surface being  own over. Ultrasonic sensors may not be able to accurately measure distances when operating above sound-absorbing materials and the camera may not function correctly in suboptimal environments. The aircraft will switch from P-mode to Atti mode automatically if neither GPS nor Forward and Downward Vision Systems are available. Operate the aircraft with great caution in the following situations:
Flying over monochrome surfaces (e.g. pure black, pure white, pure red, pure green). Flying over a highly re ective surfaces.
Flying at high speeds of over 22mph (36kph) at 2 meters or over 11mph (18kph) 1 meter.
Flying over water or transparent surfaces.
Flying over moving surfaces or objects.
Flying over inclined surfaces that will de ect sound waves away from the aircraft. Flying over small and  ne objects (e.g. tree branches and power lines).
Flying in an area where the lighting changes frequently or drastically.
Flying over extremely dark (lux < 10) or bright (lux > 100,000) surfaces.
Flying over surfaces that can absorb sound waves (e.g. thick carpet).
Flying over surfaces without clear patterns or texture.
Flying over surfaces with identical repeating patterns or textures (e.g. tiling).
2018-12-6
Use props
Kolvi_1
lvl.2
Germany

MavSpa_user Posted at 12-6 02:58
Can you upload your flightlog? http://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/upload/
we can take a look what happen there.

Meanwhile I uploaded the log...
2018-12-9
Use props
ghostrdr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1272723 ft
United States

Where's the link?
2018-12-9
Use props
Kolvi_1
lvl.2
Germany

ah, didn't know how it works... uploaded again and copied the link... hope it works

http://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/8WKV4QSG38EL3FD7O51Z/
2018-12-9
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Sad, hope you are back in the air soon, good luck.
2018-12-9
Use props
Kolvi_1
lvl.2
Germany

After receiving initial feedback from DJI (saying I flew it into the water) I asked again to look into the data and Video

their answer was more in general: „The drone was flying to close above water. The barameter has been influenced. So the hight of the drone was regulated wrong, it samed that the drone was trying to land on the water.
We do not suggest to fly the drone above water. Because vision system, the ultrasonics and barameter could be inteferenced. So that these functions not reliable any more to position the drone.“

This corresponds with all information here in the forum and it my own fault to fly that low and trust on my visual piloting...
Questionable if this would have happened when switching off sensors and auto-function...?

2018-12-10
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Kolvi_1 Posted at 12-10 01:47
After receiving initial feedback from DJI (saying I flew it into the water) I asked again to look into the data and Video

their answer was more in general: „The drone was flying to close above water. The barameter has been influenced. So the hight of the drone was regulated wrong, it samed that the drone was trying to land on the water.

Hi Kolvi,

Had a look at your flight, bad luck and imo pilot 'error'...

Bad luck because when flying that low above water your drone saw an obstacle (guess the trees coming to close) , so it stopped its forward speed by braking. Drone Pitched-up to 57 degrees, forward speed to zero.

At that time it was flyying VPS height 0.2 meter and you applied full down! (+left yaw)
That was the trigger for the DJI software to start a forced (no autolanding) landing; thus initiated by you.

Sorry for your loss.

cheers
JJB
analysis2.png
2018-12-10
Use props
MavSpa_user
First Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

Thanks for your great input JJB
2018-12-10
Use props
Kolvi_1
lvl.2
Germany

JJBspark Posted at 12-10 02:18
Hi Kolvi,

Had a look at your flight, bad luck and imo pilot 'error'...

Many thanks for you analysis - I will not dispute to facts (and of course own piloting errors), however this is against my impression and indications I got.

I fully agree to the drone stopping as approaching the trees and reflections on the the water, by than I saw on the controller the message "safety landing" or Sicherheitslandung or similar wording - creating some surprise in my brain ("oh no, F*** - it cannot just land now on the water") and I immediately  tried to push the lever upward while I saw my drone turning to the left and lowering + ditching...

Can it be that the commands, you did read out are the commands by the drone? Is there any "up" command readable?
and finally, is there any delay to transmit the data to the controller and dji app possibly having not the complete picture?

In any case, many thanks again to further clarify
2018-12-10
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Kolvi_1 Posted at 12-10 05:10
Many thanks for you analysis - I will not dispute to facts (and of course own piloting errors), however this is against my impression and indications I got.

I fully agree to the drone stopping as approaching the trees and reflections on the the water, by than I saw on the controller the message "safety landing" or Sicherheitslandung or similar wording - creating some surprise in my brain ("oh no, F*** - it cannot just land now on the water") and I immediately  tried to push the lever upward while I saw my drone turning to the left and lowering + ditching...

Hi Kolvi,

You may dispute, but i see only the data readout form your flightlog, see this chart again for the last part of the flightlog.

I don`t know what you saw on your mobile device, its not always the same as in the flightlog.
Guess it said "Landing". In the log no Up stick is recorded, only 100% down.
At the end 3,5 seconds of data writing is missing,  mayby in that part the Up stick took place.You saw the craft lowering and turning left, yawing left en down is logged in the log.

As long as there is a down link connection Drone > RC > Mobile Device, every 0.1 of a second is logged.
The normal delay in signal back to the RC > Device is there, normally with a good connection delay time in milli-seconds.
I always fly with a screen recorder active, very usefull to see the flight back (what did i miss looking in the sky instead of the screen) and usefull in situations like yours.

There is a difference between an autolanding and a forced landing; autolanding follows a RTH procedure or swipe to the right in the app, forced landing is when craft hovers low and user apply manual down stick. After short time drone starts to land, no need to have the stick 100% down, at no input craft will finish the forced landing.

PS i am not sure if you can cancel a Forced Landing by a Up stick command, once the software understands that the user want to have a Forced landing the drone starts one....i will check this out on my drones, nice to know!

cheers
JJB

analysis1.png
analysis2.png
2018-12-10
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules