Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
CrystalSky 5.5 and Spark pre-purchase questions
884 7 2018-11-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_R1mq8OJrliC1
lvl.1
United States

I've been reading through lots of threads on whether the CrystalSky is compatible with the Spark and if so, exactly what is needed with it. It seems that the compatibility has been an on again off again thing, so I wanted to check to make sure before purchasing that I'm understanding the current situation as of Nov 2018.

Can someone please confirm the following?

• The Crystal Sky and the Spark are compatible - make sure both are up to date on firmware.
  • No OTG cable is needed
  • In fact, an OTG connection won't work for now. Use WiFi.
  • A power adapter is needed. DJI provides a list of compatible adapters.
  • A mount is needed to physically attach the CrystalSky to the Spark Controller.

Thanks so much!
2018-11-27
Use props
Sky Donkey
lvl.4
Flight distance : 355157 ft
United Kingdom

Hi there reference to your CS questions …

1 Yes. The CS and Spark are compatible.
2 Not sure what an OYG cable is sorry.
3 Dont know.
4 Yes, your need to buy yourself a power supply for the CS as well. Try E Bay
5 Yes, your need to buy a mount to physically attach the CS with the Spark controller. Some have used Velcro on the smaller CS.

In addition to the power supply and mount. Your probably need to buy a case for your CS as well to protect your investment.

Before buying the CS. Look at some of the latest phones on the market. Many now have high brightness of 1000 NITS. The same as the CS.

Read some of the customer reviews of the CS and support for it given by DJI. Read the forums regarding  faults of the CS.

Right now id have to say the CS has started to feel old clunky and underpowered. The CS is also last in line to receive any software updates, having to wait sometimes weeks or months.

The CS is without question the most disappointing purchase from DJI I've made.  Dont get me wrong when it works its great.  But, I couldn't hand on heart tell anyone its a must have.

2018-11-29
Use props
nathansu
lvl.1
United States

Sky Donkey Posted at 11-29 01:51
Hi there reference to your CS questions …

1 Yes. The CS and Spark are compatible.

Thanks for the info, Sky Donkey. You're one of the first people I've heard from who sound "meh" on the CS. It seems like most people think it's ridiculously overpriced or they think it's a can't-do-without.

The OTG cable just lets the CS and remote (or CS and your phone) connect without using WiFi). In general, I prefer the dependability of wires.

I have been reading up on phones - thanks for that tip. It seems like the newer Samsung Notes will match up pretty closely on brightness, but I've also seen reports that they throttle the brightness after about 5 min.

The daylight visibility is a huge thing for me - I spent my last vacation with the Spark with a towel draped over my head. I also really like that some people feel it's a much quicker start to shoot process.

It's too bad DJI isn't a little more proactive about the CrystalSky. If it could connect to other wifi cameras or especially if it had an HDMI in... I think they'd be flying off the shelves. After quite a bit of looking, I haven't found any other daylight viewable monitors in the price range. Maybe that's because they have HDMI in, etc. - I have no idea how much it costs to build that in. I'm guessing it isn't much of a money-maker for DJI as they seem to place almost zero focus on it.

Again, ty for the info.
2018-11-29
Use props
Anthony566
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2488944 ft
United Kingdom

As a user of the Crystalsky 5.5 for the past 12 months and even though I really do like it a lot I could not in all honesty recommend this unit at its current price and support point.

I hope that DJI have an upgraded version(s) of the Crystalsky in development with more cpu power and better functionality aswell as moving this product up the support and software development list as it is often left way behind at the moment.
2018-11-29
Use props
nathansu
lvl.1
United States

Anthony566 Posted at 11-29 17:45
As a user of the Crystalsky 5.5 for the past 12 months and even though I really do like it a lot I could not in all honesty recommend this unit at its current price and support point.

I hope that DJI have an upgraded version(s) of the Crystalsky in development with more cpu power and better functionality aswell as moving this product up the support and software development list as it is often left way behind at the moment.

Thanks for the input. Is there anything you’d recommend as an alternative? I’m not crazy about the price either. But for the quick use and daylight visibility, i haven’t found anything else. I considered the goggles, but they’re so enormous and bulky for travel it’s a dealbreaker for me.
2018-11-29
Use props
Anthony566
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2488944 ft
United Kingdom

nathansu Posted at 11-29 18:27
Thanks for the input. Is there anything you’d recommend as an alternative? I’m not crazy about the price either. But for the quick use and daylight visibility, i haven’t found anything else. I considered the goggles, but they’re so enormous and bulky for travel it’s a dealbreaker for me.

Unless you are really desperate for a tablet device then I would hold off, I did try other tablets before I purchased my Crystalsky both android and apple and neither really worked for me.
2018-12-1
Use props
Sky Donkey
lvl.4
Flight distance : 355157 ft
United Kingdom

Thats what I'd advise. Hold off at the moment.

The people over at DJI must know the Crystalsky is a pile of junk in its current format (Just read the Crystalsky forums). Lets hope they stick with the project and release a more powerful updated Version 2.
2018-12-1
Use props
nathansu
lvl.1
United States

Okay - thanks to both of you for the replies. I guess I am kinda desperate for a better bright sky solution, so I may pull the trigger anyway, but I won't say I wasn't warned. =)
2018-12-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules