Star Tracker
6698 8 2018-11-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
richard.
lvl.1

Australia

How can we get DJI to add a "Star Tracker" option to their app?
The Osmo Pocket would sit on a tripod, Connect with a smartphone and retrieve GPS Co-ordinates to know where it was in Time and Space and then it can use the gimbal to track the stars for long exposure photo or video just like the Pentax K-1
It would be perfect.

2018-11-28
Use props
DJIJAKOB
lvl.4
Flight distance : 740577 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Good idea, would be an interesting feature to see on the Osmo Pocket.
2018-11-29
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day richard. Thank you for this suggestion you have given us today. Rest assured I will forward this suggestion to our DJI R&D Team for further development of the DJI Osmo Pocket. Thank you for your support.
2018-11-29
Use props
Vishal Kumar8
New

United States

Brilliant idea. It already has the hardware for it. Would make an amazing star tracking astrophotography tool.

Benefits:
- Hardware capability already exists, easy to implement
- entry into Astro photography consumer segment
- Added feature for the general user
- Playing with a few settings could lead to some interesting shots
2019-1-6
Use props
Rob W
Second Officer
Flight distance : 94390 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Nice idea, I vote for it
2019-1-6
Use props
theprisoner6666
lvl.3
Hong Kong

Good idea, but there's no way the Osmo Pocket has the capability to track a star well enough for long exposure astrophotography. I've been into astro work for years and the equipment needed is insane to follow a star accurately. You're best off doing shorter exposures and stacking them. You can probably get around 20 second exposures with the Pocket focal length before the stars start trailing. The tracking accuracy of the Pocket would probably make this worse as it would be constantly correcting what it thought was star movement due to atmospheric disturbance. Is a great idea, but unfortunately well beyond the scope of this device.

Here's a link to my astro work if anyone is interested...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/th ... s/72157644159499346
2019-1-7
Use props
Curt1591
First Officer
Thailand

Besides, unlike the drones, I don't believe the Pocket Osmo has GPS capabilities.
2019-1-7
Use props
fans48950774
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1104157 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

To track a sky object we need to polar align a mount and rotate in 1 axis equal and opposite to the rate of earth's rotation. We need a equatorial mount to do that. On the other hand, Osmo pocket could only rotate in 2 axis, functionally a AZ mount that could only center a single sky object such as a star and the rest would rotate around that centred object. An AZ style mount could only be used for visial astronomy. Besides the small cmos, even if stacked with software such as Sequator is insufficient for astrophotography.
2019-2-10
Use props
Psjak
New

Australia

+1 for this feature
2023-9-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules