choppy video/question about the OSMO pocket
10631 21 2018-11-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiguy001
lvl.4

Canada

Hi!

Already ordered, I think I was one of the first ones...

Question though. I've been watching some review videos - and while this is definitely cool - one thing I've noticed is the "some" of the videos seem to be "choppy".

Is this a mistake in the Osmo pocket firmware, or the user 'moving' the panorama too fast?

I.e., if a user is doing a pan left to right, instead of say the video going (where "x" = degree/angle):
1x, 1x, 1x, 1x, 1x

It will do somethign like this:

1x,1x, ==>5x<==, 1x, 1x, 1x, 1x, ==>5x<==

So the video/panoramic doesn't look smooth, but choppy, so I am assuming the osmo is "catching up" and then auto-correcting itself... is that something that may be
needed to be updated/fixed in the firmware/app? Even the demo someone just posted here, it was one of the *first* things I noticed (fast forward to 9 seconds into the video, where the girl is looking through the blue telescope - the background/city/buildings goes 'chop chop chop'):

https://forum.dji.com/thread-173492-1-1.html

The background is "choppy" as the panorama is done, it will go "chop chop chop" as the panorama is done...

Can you fix this? It definitely looks cool, but hopefully doesn't have the choppy video,

Thanks!

2018-11-28
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi djiguy001, you check the video so carefully, we have tested the Osmo Pocket and it doesn't have this problem, we recommend to test it when you receive it, update everything to the latest version and keep us updated if there is any problem.
2018-11-29
Use props
djiguy001
lvl.4

Canada

DJI Mindy Posted at 11-29 01:05
Hi djiguy001, you check the video so carefully, we have tested the Osmo Pocket and it doesn't have this problem, we recommend to test it when you receive it, update everything to the latest version and keep us updated if there is any problem.

Okay, it might just be something then that these reviewers are doing then.

Did you see what I mean though/look at the video sample link?

Thanks.
2018-11-29
Use props
Canyon Mike
lvl.2
United States

I am having a similar problem. The video in either 4K or 1080P plays back very choppy in Quicktime...help!!  
2018-12-22
Use props
djiuser_m63JWePxSNyD
New

Malaysia

I have the same issue too!!! No matter im shooting using 1080p or 4k. The playback is smooth and nice. But when i edit it using fcpx, all the videos became choppy! Even exported the video also
2019-1-22
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Playback programs or devices will sometimes skip frames if they can't play a file at its native resolution and frame rate. It's no good saying you watch 4k content if you are watching on a 1080p screen. You're not. You are watching a downscaled version of it. If you are having problems with playback, if the playback is OK on the machine recording it then the problem lies somewhere within the equipment or programs you transfer it to.
2019-1-22
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2019-1-22
Use props
theprisoner6666
lvl.3
Hong Kong

That's a symptom of high shutter speed. Maybe the film maker didn't use an ND filter to lower the shutter speed enough.
2019-1-24
Use props
Mr Sepo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 929334 ft
Australia

Shutter speed should be twice your frame rate.  Having a shutter speed of 60 FPS you will need to set Shutter speed to 1/120.  Likely you will be over exposed so you need to use an ND filter.  This will smooth out your footage.
2019-1-24
Use props
Vegasdad
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3471283 ft
United States

Mr Sepo Posted at 1-24 20:07
Shutter speed should be twice your frame rate.  Having a shutter speed of 60 FPS you will need to set Shutter speed to 1/120.  Likely you will be over exposed so you need to use an ND filter.  This will smooth out your footage.

Thanks brother I forgot to check that... Brain fart still learning.
2019-2-2
Use props
Wiz33
lvl.4
Flight distance : 35994 ft
  • >>>
United States

Canyon Mike Posted at 2018-12-22 14:16
I am having a similar problem. The video in either 4K or 1080P plays back very choppy in Quicktime...help!!

Maybe the vidoe is shot in high shutter speed or Your PC is too slow for 4K playback.
2019-2-2
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Having re-read your post and now having looked at the video you point out, it doesn't go chop, chop, chop. It runs perfectly smoothly. You can check your internet speed by debugging the page you are watching to see what the frame rate is and seeing that it's staying constant. If it's not the internet connection speed then it's the device you are using to watch it on.
2019-2-2
Use props
Johnahn_spark
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1215387 ft
Canada

I'm having same problems.
My first op was perfectly fine and I loved it other than gimbal start up problem. I got replacement unit and i get really choppy footage on all 30fps settings. Also getting flickering on the footages all 60fps auto settings.
2019-2-16
Use props
JDVideo
lvl.2
United States

This morning was the first time I used it outdoors. I used it while walking around the neighborhood. When I looked at the video later, I noticed that when I was even slightly panning the camera, it would kind of skip or jump as I moved it around from right to left or left to right. It wasn't smooth at all. Is this what you are referring to?
2019-7-15
Use props
djiuser_g8UCKMF3Vy70
New

I experience hard choppiness in story mode.
It happened suddenly. No idea. I have the feeling it is somehow connected to the software because even holding the pocket still it is a visible frame-rate drop if somebody moves through the frame.
Did anybody experience this? I repeat this only happens in story mode. In rest everything is smooth.
I have an iPhoneX so plenty processing power
2019-9-3
Use props
Neo Supreme
lvl.4
Flight distance : 76329 ft

This is interesting.  I haven't experienced this, as of yet.  I usually film in 4K 50 or 60fps.  I used timelapse, hyperlapse, panoramic and slow motion.  As Ray-CubeAce mentioned, it could be the device that you're using to view the recorded media.  The usual culprit is that (at least for intel processors) the intel processor has to be at least a gen 7, to properly manage HEVC/H.265 or even H.264 media.  It could also be the media player as well.  Just throwing some suggestions out there.
2019-9-4
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

The problem with the digital revolution is there is little in the way of backward compatibility as file sizes and streaming data becomes faster and larger.
New Gear and new software are optimised for the latest specced hardware leaving older components to struggle with new demands.
I have had this time and again working with audio, photographic, and video components over the last few decades.
Really now, we should be thinking i9 CoffeeLake processors and high-speed hard drives with large caches for editing and using SSDs for the main drive and having 16gig of DDR4 ram as a minimum system spec. Even some i7 processors are now struggling with the latest editing software coming out and AMD chips have some issues with some editing software. Even minimum GPU requirements have increased to the point of needing at least an NVidia 1050 card as a minimum requirement running Win 10 for processing any added effects.
I don't know about Mac users needs but suspect it's getting the same way or worse as there are less editing packages out there for the Mac operating systems although the few that are are pretty good.
I'm currently saving to upgrade my own system at present because of the above problems mainly associated with trying to use 4K content which is next to impossible on my aging machine.

2019-9-4
Use props
Nui Image
New

New Zealand

Hi all, having a similar problem. Jittery footage but only in 24/25 fps, all other modes no problem... did anyone sort this out yet?
Thanks
D
2019-12-1
Use props
LWGray
lvl.2
Malaysia

I've been using Osmo Pocket 1 with very good results. But I have not got Osmo Pocket 2 and the footage is jittery. I set it at 25fps and 1/50 shutter speed just like Osmo 1 but I do not get the same smooth footage. At 60fps and 1/120 I get the same issue. The focus is also not as sharp.  
2020-12-13
Use props
djiuser_PgPR7YQUBayO
New

United States

My osmo camera 3 videos looks very choppy when I upload/ export on social media or share in WhatsApp
Help how can I fix this?
2023-4-15
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

djiuser_PgPR7YQUBayO Posted at 4-15 13:09
My osmo camera 3 videos looks very choppy when I upload/ export on social media or share in WhatsApp
Help how can I fix this?

Hi there. Thanks for reaching out, and we're sorry for the inconvenience. May we ask for a sample video showing the issue for further checking? Thank you.
2023-4-16
Use props
SeekAndTravel
lvl.1

Spain

It is for sure an issue with pocket 3s firmware. I was struggling with this for days and finally figured out whats going on. For anyone who ends up on this page and is looking for a solution. Here are my tests and solution. You will get shaky and choppy video while panning if you are shooting in 24fps or upto 50fps. The fix is to shoot 4k in 60fps and you will have smooth footage as butter. Make sure your firmware is updated. I was struggling with this and shooting in 4k 60fps solves the panning issue.

DJI really needs to fix this. If you pan in 24fps the video is horrible while you pan but in 60fps it is smooth as butter.

Here are two videos. Christmas one is in 30FPS and you can see the jitter while i pan and the last video i uploaded is in 60fps and it is smooth as butter.  
30FPS. You will see that when i Pan the video is shaky and skipping frames

60FPS, Smooth as butter. No issues at all.

If the video is smooth in 60FPS and the issue is in other FPS that means it is 100% firmware issue.

2023-12-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules