Phantom 4 Pro+ limitations
3626 30 2018-11-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dronimagem
lvl.1

Brazil

I decided to buy the Phantom 4 Pro+ for my company based on information available in the web, including the DJI website. After I received the drone I realized that I was missled by the information available, including what I found in the DJI website. This drone is very limited because it does not allow the installation of third party software and, therefore, it is just a flying camera. It does not allow the installation of third party software, e.g., a flight planner to collect photos for terrain profiling.

Is there a solution for this problem or I'll need to sell my Phantom 4 Pro+?

Regards

Renato F Fantoni
2018-11-29
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, sorry that we're not recommending our customer to use a third-party application as this may void the warranty of the drone in any case that the incident was due to the other applications. We would recommend the DJI GO 4 app to use your drone. Thank you for understanding.
2018-11-29
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Many others have made the same mistake.
2018-11-29
Use props
Ron W
Flight distance : 14062 ft
United States

ALABAMA Posted at 11-29 16:13

I HAVE MADE THE SAME MISTAKE. I have been a pilot for over 50 years and for about 35 of them have been with GPS or Loran waypoint navigation on a moving map. I have a handheld Garmin $79 that has more capabilities than my P4P+. I am willing to wait for a DJI Go4 update that will bring this copter into the 20 century, but I would appreciate knowing when that might be or if it is even on the R&D list of to do's
2018-11-29
Use props
Goldenseal
lvl.4
Flight distance : 487034 ft
United States

You can return it to DJI within 7 days for a refund.
2018-11-29
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Ron W Posted at 11-29 18:31
I HAVE MADE THE SAME MISTAKE. I have been a pilot for over 50 years and for about 35 of them have been with GPS or Loran waypoint navigation on a moving map. I have a handheld Garmin $79 that has more capabilities than my P4P+. I am willing to wait for a DJI Go4 update that will bring this copter into the 20 century, but I would appreciate knowing when that might be or if it is even on the R&D list of to do's

' I have a handheld Garmin $79 that has more capabilities than my P4P+'

Well, that just shot your credibility to bits with one remark. Comparing apples with oranges. You can purchase an additional controller without the built-in display, which will solve your problem, or buy one in used condition from someone who wrote off their aircraft.
Or look around for guidance, I think it is now possible to run Litchi on th P4P+ anyway.

2018-11-29
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Most certainly more apps can be used now than when it was 1st launched, thats for sure... dont knock it until youve tried what it is you was hoping to install...
2018-11-29
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Tony Posted at 11-29 16:01
Hi, sorry that we're not recommending our customer to use a third-party application as this may void the warranty of the drone in any case that the incident was due to the other applications. We would recommend the DJI GO 4 app to use your drone. Thank you for understanding.

It's disappointing that moderators here still don't understand this.
DJI released the SDK so that 3rd party software companies can develop 3rd party aps to make the Phantom even more useful.
That's apps like the professional survey and mapping apps.
Using 3rd party software DOES NOT void the warranty at all.
If there is a crash or flight incident and it can be shown that the cause was a DJI issue, you are still covered.
2018-11-29
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

The solution is simple,
If you need to install 3rd party apps, all you need to do is buy a non+ controller for your Phantom.
Get a good tablet and you are off and running, flying mapping missions.
You can sell the + controller too to recover costs.
Just make sure to get a matching controller - V2.0 if you have a V2.0 Phantom or original P4 pro controller for an original P4 pro.  They are not compatible.
2018-11-29
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Ron W Posted at 11-29 18:31

I have a handheld Garmin $79 that has more capabilities than my P4P+.
Tell me which Garmin does more than your P4 pro+.
None of my Garmins can fly or capture images.
They just tell me where I am or how to get to somewhere else.

I am willing to wait for a DJI Go4 update that will bring this copter into the 20 century, but I would appreciate knowing when that might be or if it is even on the R&D list of to do's.

Wait if you like, but it's not happening.
There have been complaints like yours every week here for more than two years now and nothing's been done.
If it was going to, it would have been already.
See the previous post for the solution.
2018-11-29
Use props
Ron W
Flight distance : 14062 ft
United States

Labroides Posted at 11-29 21:49
I have a handheld Garmin $79 that has more capabilities than my P4P+.
Tell me which Garmin does more than your P4 pro+.
None of my Garmins can fly or capture images.

Well, I have read all the replies to my post and must say I am surprised , confused and bruised. So it will "void the warranty" or "no it won't". I can return the whole thing within 7 days, which is long past just searching for answers. I can "buy a different controller AND tablet and install Litchi". Isn't that a third party software? Will it or won't it void warranty?
"The moderators don't know what there talking about"
Does the company monitor this forum?
Do the have any interest in sorting fact from fiction?
I have inquired with the Company on trade- out or up and what it may cost, that was back on the 19th still no response.
Oh yes and I have "lost all credibility" because of the Garmin comment, Which in terms of navigation I will stand by.
Anyway thanks for all the posts, I'm glad to be here, because it seems to be the only way to figure this whole thing out
2018-11-30
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Ron W Posted at 11-30 04:50
Well, I have read all the replies to my post and must say I am surprised , confused and bruised. So it will "void the warranty" or "no it won't". I can return the whole thing within 7 days, which is long past just searching for answers. I can "buy a different controller AND tablet and install Litchi". Isn't that a third party software? Will it or won't it void warranty?
"The moderators don't know what there talking about"
Does the company monitor this forum?

If you just read my posts, you'll get the true situation and save yourself confusion.
Unfortunately the moderators here are not good sources of accurate information.
If you are wanting to do mapping, forget Litchi, that's not what it's for.
There are several dedicated mapping apps.
2018-11-30
Use props
Latanzi
lvl.2
Flight distance : 839885 ft
Australia

Probably all old news now, but I have the P4P+ and run both Litchi and Pix 4D capture on it.
Works a treat!
2018-12-11
Use props
ChavaLozVi
lvl.3
Flight distance : 89738 ft

Mexico

ALABAMA Posted at 11-29 16:13

Sadly i did too. Buying a standard RC soon.
2018-12-11
Use props
rwynant V1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

ChavaLozVi Posted at 12-11 17:00
Sadly i did too. Buying a standard RC soon.

Hold on there......

Read POST #13

Randy
2018-12-11
Use props
IMAGENELXDJI
New
Flight distance : 142395 ft
Spain

Labroides Posted at 11-30 05:10
If you just read my posts, you'll get the true situation and save yourself confusion.
Unfortunately the moderators here are not good sources of accurate information.
If you are wanting to do mapping, forget Litchi, that's not what it's for.

I have a Pahntom Pro + with integrated display .... at this time, as far I know, no 3rd party apps can run.

I would like to display-video-capture for security and log reasons..and I can't ... Only pilots/users with separed Cristal Clear display can do this ...

Could you confirm this? Am I wrong? ... If so, please DJI, enable 3rd party apps install/execution ... If you have problems with this because security (yes security is my #1 concern) you can "recommend" or "certify" 3rd party apps previously tested in your labs .... If you can not do this I'm sure that a lot a "beta testers" (I'm a voluntier :-) ) can do this with/for you ... this, most likely, will open new horizons to the dji products users...specially professional ones...

Thanks in advance
2018-12-13
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

IMAGENELXDJI Posted at 12-13 04:11
I have a Pahntom Pro + with integrated display .... at this time, as far I know, no 3rd party apps can run.

I would like to display-video-capture for security and log reasons..and I can't ... Only pilots/users with separed Cristal Clear display can do this ...

Since the P4 pro+ was released more than 2 years ago, it hasn't been allowed to run 3rd party apps despite complaints here every week.
If it was going to happen, it would have long ago.

It's just not going to happen.
2018-12-13
Use props
Dronimagem
lvl.1

Brazil

Latanzi Posted at 12-11 02:48
Probably all old news now, but I have the P4P+ and run both Litchi and Pix 4D capture on it.
Works a treat!

Hi, I've been told that the problem with the P4P+ is that the Android  installed is a stripped down version and Android services that are normally required by softwares are not available. It seems that DJI reduced the Android to what is required for its embarqued software only.

If you are running those softwares you mentioned it would be very helpful to know how you managed it.
Tks in advance for any hint
2018-12-13
Use props
patrickza
South Africa

Dronimagem Posted at 12-13 15:23
Hi, I've been told that the problem with the P4P+ is that the Android  installed is a stripped down version and Android services that are normally required by softwares are not available. It seems that DJI reduced the Android to what is required for its embarqued software only.

If you are running those softwares you mentioned it would be very helpful to know how you managed it.

This took me quite some time to figure out, but here's how I got pix4d running on the phantom 4 pro+:
2018-12-17
Use props
NIKUSHA
lvl.2

Georgia

patrickza Posted at 2018-12-17 04:20
This took me quite some time to figure out, but here's how I got pix4d running on the phantom 4 pro+ v2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcLbVHZLdrU

Hello patrickza,

Have you had chance  to test this solution for Dji Phantom 4 Rtk?
2019-4-17
Use props
fans266a6c39
lvl.1
Australia

any one tried attaching an ipad and using it with the apps and software and turning the screen off?
2019-4-18
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

fans266a6c39 Posted at 4-18 02:58
any one tried attaching an ipad and using it with the apps and software and turning the screen off?

You can't attach an ordinary tablet to the + controller.
You can use an ordinary P4 pro controller with an ordinary tablet since there is nothing different about the drone - just the controller.
2019-4-18
Use props
Eagle Eye Ug
lvl.1
Uganda

This took me quite some time to figure out, but here's how I got pix4d running on the phantom 4 pro+ v2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcLbVHZLdrU

This is great Patrick!!!!

I purchased a P4P+ recently and when i realised it wont be able to use any 3rd party apps, i thought my upcoming mapping projects are doomed!lol

Your video gives me hope.

So, can i do the same to download drone deploy app on to the integrated screen and will it work perfectly? Tried before?

Do let me know where i can download the drone deploy setup? (sorry not familiar with the setups downloads and command prompt)

Also, i have a P4P controller but it does not link to the P4P+ drone. Why is that? Any idea?

Thanx in advance.   
2019-4-20
Use props
Alvaro L
lvl.3
Flight distance : 8832 ft
Spain

welcome to the club, my advice is to refund if you can or buy second hand from a poor soul who lost his or her drone away, never ever buy from DJI a new controller and start a complain if you have time and money in your country consumer office. This is the reason I am reluctant to buy from DJI ever again.
2019-4-21
Use props
Alvaro L
lvl.3
Flight distance : 8832 ft
Spain

Labroides Posted at 2018-11-29 21:45
The solution is simple,
If you need to install 3rd party apps, all you need to do is buy a non+ controller for your Phantom.

are you paid to defend in the forum DJI's shady practices?
2019-4-21
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Alvaro L Posted at 4-21 05:27
are you paid to defend in the forum DJI's shady practices?

I simply answered the question that was asked.

Are you paid to troll me with irrelevant and inaccurate jibes?
2019-4-21
Use props
patiam
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1093865 ft
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 4-21 14:27
I simply answered the question that was asked.

Are you paid to troll me with irrelevant and inaccurate jibes?

Sometimes even accurately...
2019-4-22
Use props
Dronimagem
lvl.1

Brazil

DJI has launched the new Phantom 4 RTK a short time ago. From photos of this drone, it is apparent that its controller incorporates a screen that is similar to the one of the P4P+. I wonder if this RTK controller has the same limitation as the P4P+, and the RTK will be useless or if DJI has solved the limitation about 3rd party softwares. In this case, why not use the same solution for the P4P+?
2019-5-29
Use props
fans5b919431
lvl.1
United States

Hello. I am new to the Phantom 4 RTK and was wondering if I can install Map Pilot on this device?

Mike
2019-7-7
Use props
TriptyX
lvl.3
Flight distance : 349226 ft
Croatia

This took me quite some time to figure out, but here's how I got pix4d running on the phantom 4 pro+ v2:

The title is a bit missleadin. This procedure is for a V1, not V2! V2 for now, at least with 2 last firmware versions is out of the game. Apps do install, but it is impossible to connect to a drone.So, DJI, regarding the warranty, what if the drone is out of warranty? And also, this bird is years old, it might be the time to open the android to other apps. You do have SDK, which is useless unless the app can connect. Or at least, provide us with some app for mapping. That way you have your "warranty" issues covered and also we get some way of doing missions with your top of the line consumer product.
2020-4-29
Use props
patrickza
South Africa

TriptyX Posted at 4-29 03:58
The title is a bit missleadin. This procedure is for a V1, not V2! V2 for now, at least with 2 last firmware versions is out of the game. Apps do install, but it is impossible to connect to a drone.So, DJI, regarding the warranty, what if the drone is out of warranty? And also, this bird is years old, it might be the time to open the android to other apps. You do have SDK, which is useless unless the app can connect. Or at least, provide us with some app for mapping. That way you have your "warranty" issues covered and also we get some way of doing missions with your top of the line consumer product.

Yeah I've corrected it. The method works to install and use all apps EXCEPT apps that control the drone. On the v2 the USB cable from controller into itself trick doesn't work. I won't be looking at ways of solving it as I'm likely to start using the air 2 for mapping. Not it's just to wait for DJI to release the SDK for that.
2020-4-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules