11431 36 2018-11-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tomkrist
lvl.3
Flight distance : 276473 ft
Norway

Here is the problem:

Problem nr 1 ) No 3.5 input port for external mic.

What did they think? I mean, if they ever wanted us to use our mic, why not
include this in the first place, instead of having to buy it extra? This is a
break dealer. Its a shame that dji , who knows that the sound in the first
place is not good, have us to buy it extra. Dji: Thats greedy! Then comes another
problem: Where do i put my mic on the external plugin and the Osmo pocket?
WHERE?

Problem nr 2) No place to put it on a tribod. Again, as an external extra stuff
to buy? Are dji so blind that they dont know that a mount for tripod is the nr
1 thing we need? That it is on every camera that you can buy today? Its STANDARD!
Again,to greedy.

This two problems is the reason i wont touch this thing.

Then you have smaller problems: Small video screen to actually see what you
are filming. Yes, you could put it on a mobile phone, but then again, its not
longer a small camara, now you have increased it to a big clumpsy thing
that is twice the size of a gopro.

2018-11-29
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Well they make money with the accessories just like the capsule coffee  
2018-11-29
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

First of all, you are right. If you have an Osmo Mobile (1 or 2), the Pocket is not too much of an upgrade.
The only benefit I see is that I can fly my drone while using the Pocket (since my Phone is not occupied).
But I think DJI knows their market (osmo market) as they have been selling them for years.

This is clearly aimed at vloggers if you ask me and they probably don't mind your issues.

Most of the vloggers won't care too much about not being able to attach a mic, since they use lavaliers.
Maybe they will release something like that in the future as an accessoire.

Next,  the 3.5mm acc probably won't be too expensive (a guess, I don't see it yet) so not too big an issue for many I guess.
Since most premium phones also don't have this anymore. Many will also move to wireless mics.

I have my Osmo Mobile (1) and that can't be attached to a tripod either. (I bought the  articulating arm for that)
Makes for a very stable connection since the center of gravity is at the connection point. (less movement).

2018-11-30
Use props
PG73
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I have ordered one, though after watching several reviews I can see various issues, such as:

1. Poor dynamic range - clouds are often burnt out, colour of sky is off and/or people are quite dark.
2. Sound is pretty bad - surprised DJI couldn't do better considering past issues, plus it's not like it's a waterproof device - even GoPro Hero7 Black sounds much better.
3. Focusing issues - seen a few reviews where they've filmed and everything is out of focus even though it was on autofocus, wonder if it has an option to set to infinity so it doesn't have to focus at all.
4. Narrow FOV - which is no good if intended as a vlogging camera, why didn't they make the FOV wider?

I'm hoping some of the issues can be fixed with updates, as for the others, I hope version 2 will perhaps be a bit bigger so they can use a bigger sensor, wider FOV, direct mic input and longer battery life. I am still excited to try the Osmo Pocket, but do feel it's a missed opportunity after seeing the initial reviews
2018-11-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

No Osmo had support for tripod without an add on, yes make the screen bigger put in jack for mic .

So let’s see add place for tripod, add mic out, add bigger screen, now call it a bag Osmo .

I think Monty above has spelled out some of the merits of Osmo Pocket , I like his thinking about those flying drones and the ease of use of the pocket, it will be exceptional for bloggers, and I beleive for those who are creative it use knows no bounds.

I don’t think it’s a go pro, it may well be better than a GoPro for some things and maybe not as good for others.

I have an orignal Osmo and a Zenmuse 1 for mobile, with kit it costs over €1000 it is 4 times the size of Osmo Pocket it requires the use of external mic because sound is so bad, when I have it fully rigged up it’s a terrifying prospect for unsuspecting subjects, I would imagine the Pocket will be a lot less terrifying .

I have purchased one and I’m happy I did, it’s enough for what I want to do, my only problem now is what I do with my old Osmo.
2018-11-30
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

PG73 Posted at 11-30 02:28
I have ordered one, though after watching several reviews I can see various issues, such as:

1. Poor dynamic range - clouds are often burnt out, colour of sky is off and/or people are quite dark.

Going by your list, what made you decide to go ahead and order one?
2018-11-30
Use props
PG73
lvl.4
United Kingdom

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 11-30 07:20
Going by your list, what made you decide to go ahead and order one?

I ordered it before I saw the reviews. However, I'm still interested in trying it, and updates will hopefully sort out some of the issues mentioned. Plus, no device is perfect.
2018-11-30
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

PG73 Posted at 11-30 07:44
I ordered it before I saw the reviews. However, I'm still interested in trying it, and updates will hopefully sort out some of the issues mentioned. Plus, no device is perfect.

Understood.  Fully agree with "no device is perfect".   

When I purchased Mavic Pro P, I knew in advance camera was not up to image quality level of DSLR I owned nearly decade before.   I set that issue aside for Mavic Pro P being able to send a LiveView Video that was of sufficient quality to look around while flying vs. having to wait to see videos / snapshots after landing.
2018-11-30
Use props
PG73
lvl.4
United Kingdom

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 11-30 08:06
Understood.  Fully agree with "no device is perfect".   

When I purchased Mavic Pro P, I knew in advance camera was not up to image quality level of DSLR I owned nearly decade before.   I set that issue aside for Mavic Pro P being able to send a LiveView Video that was of sufficient quality to look around while flying vs. having to wait to see videos / snapshots after landing.

Yes, it's just a matter or weighing up the pros and cons, and deciding it it brings a benefit - though it's nice to know what the cons are before buying something ;)
2018-11-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

PG73 Posted at 11-30 02:28
I have ordered one, though after watching several reviews I can see various issues, such as:

Haven’t seen those videos of burnt out clouds, I’ve seen two videos comparing sound with GoPro and it wins hands down.
If someone is shooting out of focus, blame the photographer. Narrow field of view was done to bring vloggers closer to viewers, do vloggers want people to look at them or the scenery .

Dji has always been good when trying to improve by FW updates.

I think it will be used a lot different than GoPro and at least it won’t have that GoPro look to show us all the world is round. ;+):::::”””””::::
2018-11-30
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Its a shame that dji , who knows that the sound in the first place is not good, have us to buy it extra.

People have been mentioning that Osmo Pocket would be good for Vloggers or targeted towards Vloggers.  Small size, narrow field of view, shallow depth; which makes sense.
What a few have pointed out is lackluster audio.  Despite having two built in microphones with internal noise cancelation.  Listening to one video recording, the audio seemed muttled.  Whereas, with DJI's promo video, a dog's panting wasn't muttled, although faint.  Lackluster audio would run counter for purpose of Vloggers.  Bringing into question target market?

2018-11-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

1.04 this vlogger thinks the audio is fairly good .

2018-11-30
Use props
txtechnonerd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 175075 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 11-30 02:48
No Osmo had support for tripod without an add on, yes make the screen bigger put in jack for mic .

So let’s see add place for tripod, add mic out, add bigger screen, now call it a bag Osmo .

The OSMO Mobile 2 certainly doesn't need an add-on for a tripod...
2018-11-30
Use props
txtechnonerd
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 11-30 02:48
No Osmo had support for tripod without an add on, yes make the screen bigger put in jack for mic .

2018-11-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

txtechnonerd Posted at 11-30 14:12

It does if your trying to use you hands to do something else.
2018-11-30
Use props
txtechnonerd
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 11-30 14:15
It does if your trying to use you hands to do something else.

That doesn't even make sense...
2018-11-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

txtechnonerd Posted at 11-30 14:33
That doesn't even make sense...

It’s pretty simple to understand, I’ll see if I can make it simpler for you,you want to video of your self doing something, I see it many times on YT photographers taking video of themselves demonstrating what they are doing.
I have an orignal Osmo which also doubles up as a Osmo mobile using Zenmuse 1 and with orignal Osmo and Osmo + you can fit to your Osmo tripod you are then free to video yourself or anything else you would like to video.
You can also use a tripod to do motion time lapse , so yes it’s never a bad thing to be able to use a tripod for photography/videography.
2018-11-30
Use props
Abraham Reyes
lvl.4
Flight distance : 109951 ft
  • >>>
Mexico

You can also just use a USB-C type tripod or a converter if you really, really need it.
2018-11-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Abraham Reyes Posted at 11-30 14:58
You can also just use a USB-C type tripod or a converter if you really, really need it.

I’m sure there are plenty of designers out there working on it, if it’s not done already. I’ve seen some pics of pgy tech accessories impressive.
2018-11-30
Use props
txtechnonerd
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 11-30 14:46
It’s pretty simple to understand, I’ll see if I can make it simpler for you,you want to video of your self doing something, I see it many times on YT photographers taking video of themselves demonstrating what they are doing.
I have an orignal Osmo which also doubles up as a Osmo mobile using Zenmuse 1 and with orignal Osmo and Osmo + you can fit to your Osmo tripod you are then free to video yourself or anything else you would like to video.
You can also use a tripod to do motion time lapse , so yes it’s never a bad thing to be able to use a tripod for photography/videography.

That's not support for a tripod without an add-on...that's support for a mic mount without an add-on. Those are two different things...
2018-11-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

txtechnonerd Posted at 11-30 16:40
That's not support for a tripod without an add-on...that's support for a mic mount without an add-on. Those are two different things...

I think we are on two different pages here, your conversation started because you said you don’t need a tripod for Osmo mobile 2, I just tried to explain why the use of a tripod will enhance the use of any Osmo in fact any camera for that matter but each to his own.
2018-11-30
Use props
tomkrist
lvl.3
Norway

As a vlogger you need good audio. Thats the nr 1 thing you need.

Someone mention the sound on the gopro 7 black is good. I kind of agree, but
in the same time, its not "top quality" what i would use for a normal vlog.
If it is recorded in silent envirnoment then maybe, and you need to do some
mixing after, so that it might sound good.

From what i have seen on reviews on this dji camera i am really shocked how
the audio quality variates between the reviewers. On some review it sounds perfect,and
on other it sounds real bad. Why? Is anyone processing the sound after, or
did they just upload it with the raw direct from pocket? Who can i trust?
Anyone else that has notices this? If anyone know about a raw file direct
from that camera ,please send it to me

2018-11-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

tomkrist Posted at 11-30 23:20

Someone mention the sound on the gopro 7 black is good. I kind of agree, but

You know if audio is that important to you and it should be, just get the 3.5mm USB and small rode mic and this will sort you out, there are very few devices can record sound direct to device including the best DSLR’s, so it’s just another problem tech companies have not yet sorted out, or rather they can’t .
2018-12-1
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

tomkrist Posted at 11-30 23:20

Someone mention the sound on the gopro 7 black is good. I kind of agree, but

From what i have seen on reviews on this dji camera i am really shocked how the audio quality variates between the reviewers. On some review it sounds perfect,and on other it sounds real bad. ... ...  Anyone else that has notices this?

Yes, see my post #11.   Beginning to wonder if there are some Pocket Osmo's out there with hardware problems.  Similar to flaky hardware problems seen with DJI's CrystalSky and Mavic Pro / Mavic Air.  A few unlucky soles got defective units, while most did not.  Leading to wide range of problems, with some being senstive to Firmware update process or firmware itself.

For now, hope it is a cases of bad editing, how Pocket Osmo was being held, or wearing thick insulated gloves.  And not a case of flaky hardware.

2018-12-1
Use props
sergeant
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I've filmed a comprehensive review of the Osmo Pocket and the audio was entirely captured on it. I always run audio through a basic vocal enhancer filter in Adobe Premiere, whether from my SLR or direct mic into my audio recorder, I did the same with the Osmo Pocket. Do have a listen as I think that its perfectly acceptable.

http://www.droningon.co/youtube
2018-12-1
Use props
tomkrist
lvl.3
Norway

Sergeant your videos was one of the first review i saw and is one of the best out there. But i need a raw file
to compare with as i am using other sound effects to fix audio.

When you are here: How does it perform indoors? With normal lights and how does it perform at night
outside with little lights? Here is where the gopro7 black is so weak. Even indoors filming with
normal light is hard. If osmo pocket can handle dark situation,then it has an advance, thats for sure, compared
with gopro 7 black. One problem here in nortern norway is that it is darktime and it struggles
even on daytime here at the time,lol
2018-12-1
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2018-12-10
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
Second Officer

Croatia

Montfrooij Posted at 11-30 00:07
First of all, you are right. If you have an Osmo Mobile (1 or 2), the Pocket is not too much of an upgrade.
The only benefit I see is that I can fly my drone while using the Pocket (since my Phone is not occupied).
But I think DJI knows their market (osmo market) as they have been selling them for years.

I fail to see clear aiming at vloggers at 26mm, with no interchangeable battery..... also, I fail to see OP will change state of the art equipment for any serious vlogger.

Not a single review of OP I've seen so far done by influencers thus vloggers said they will exchange their current equipment with OP. It's easy to recommend some stuff to others but switching own gear, well, that's the step where credibility falls apart. Since launch date is basically 15 Dec, we will have to wait a bit more for real non-sponsored reviews.
2018-12-10
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

eYeSkYeYe Posted at 12-10 03:43
I fail to see clear aiming at vloggers at 26mm, with no interchangeable battery..... also, I fail to see OP will change state of the art equipment for any serious vlogger.

Not a single review of OP I've seen so far done by influencers thus vloggers said they will exchange their current equipment with OP. It's easy to recommend some stuff to others but switching own gear, well, that's the step where credibility falls apart. Since launch date is basically 15 Dec, we will have to wait a bit more for real non-sponsored reviews.

I'm not talking about the serious vloggers.
They have their better camera's mounted on gimbals already.
I'm talking home vloggers
The 'I wannabe on Youtoo too and make big money like the rest' vloggers.

And you are right, first see 'real' (non sponsored) reviews before we know how good it is really.
2018-12-10
Use props
IftiBashir
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You do need some accessories to really make good use of the Pocket. I also feel some of them should have been included in the box, as you can't really use Time-lapse or Motion Time-lapse without mounting the Pocket to something - unless you want to stand and hold it for an hour!!
The bottom is flat enough to stand by itself, although its just not very secure.
2018-12-10
Use props
AngularIan
lvl.3
United Kingdom

sergeant Posted at 12-1 16:18
I've filmed a comprehensive review of the Osmo Pocket and the audio was entirely captured on it. I always run audio through a basic vocal enhancer filter in Adobe Premiere, whether from my SLR or direct mic into my audio recorder, I did the same with the Osmo Pocket. Do have a listen as I think that its perfectly acceptable.

http://www.droningon.co/youtube

A bit off topic but it would be very useful if you did a video on your channel about how you process the Pocket sound in Premiere. Your audio was more than acceptable and made me hit the "Order" button with my local dealer, but most that I've seen/heard (with no post processing) have been unusable in my view. Also amused to hear people say the Osmo audio is better than the Hero Pro. I've seen several comparisons and Hero has won hands down for audio on all of them.
2018-12-10
Use props
Pete84
lvl.2
United States

These aren't even the biggest issues.  Any 60fps mode, after the file size reaches 4 gigabites, the additional files has significant audio delays.  It's dynamic also, so you can just offset the video in post.
2018-12-20
Use props
sergeant
lvl.4
  • >>>
Sweden

AngularIan Posted at 12-10 09:28
A bit off topic but it would be very useful if you did a video on your channel about how you process the Pocket sound in Premiere. Your audio was more than acceptable and made me hit the "Order" button with my local dealer, but most that I've seen/heard (with no post processing) have been unusable in my view. Also amused to hear people say the Osmo audio is better than the Hero Pro. I've seen several comparisons and Hero has won hands down for audio on all of them.

Thanks for the suggestion and its a good idea, quite a few have asked for this and so I'll try and shoot a tutorial about it, shouldn't take long so leave that with me
2018-12-29
Use props
fans95bc61af
lvl.1
Flight distance : 587818 ft
Spain

thanks for your reply. The truth is this Osmo or the application Mimo is crazy. Now he has let me connect and other times not
2018-12-30
Use props
C.Films
lvl.2
Canada

Whatcha need is Rode to make a USB-C version of this Mic, so you can just attach it to the bottom of the camera, without a rig or cable needed. Sadly Rode doesn’t make one.

So my suggestion is to contact Rode and feedback them into making one for the DJI Pocket.

http://www.rode.com/contact
2018-12-31
Use props
RobCass
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

C.Films Posted at 12-31 14:36
[view_image]

Whatcha need is Rode to make a USB-C version of this Mic, so you can just attach it to the bottom of the camera, without a rig or cable needed. Sadly Rode doesn’t make one.

Might not be too hard to convince them since most new Android smartphones are USB-C, iPad Pro (and probably future Apple products) will be USB-C. Only issue is that it took Rode almost three years to come out with a lightening one
2018-12-31
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

If you watch the 17 minute launch presentation of the Pocket by DJI, the word "vlogger" isn't mentioned once.  Such people have decided that it's intended for them but no good for them, which is confusing to say the least.  It's a tool for whatever job you find it best for.  It's not intended to replace every or even any tool in the bag.
2019-1-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules