poor video quality
2013 27 2018-11-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dolphinvienna
lvl.1
Flight distance : 646 ft
Austria

could you please be so kind and let me know, what i do wrong? the added pictures shows the difference between the p20pro and the drone footage. flying the mavic pro. footage is from sd card! thank you very much!
drohne p20 kl.jpg
2018-11-30
Use props
CCScott
lvl.2
Flight distance : 288366 ft
United States

I'm confused... Are you saying the video is poor quality or the still images?. Your question doesn't make sense.

Either way, post the camera settings in your DJI app.
2018-11-30
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

hi dolphin - first let me say that i enjoyed the editing in yr video.
I am also a bit confused by yr question but will submit a few tips for you to consider.

1st - when measuring your mavic pro output do not compare it to that produced on other devices - rather find good mavic pro footage and compare it to that - otherwise you are not comparing apples with apples - this is unfair to mavic pro and will frustrate you.
For improved image quality in VIDEO capture
1. do you have nd filters? these are essential items
2. what are your mavic pro camera setting? do a you tube search for best camera settings for mavic pro and you will find helpful information.
3. if you are using auto camera setting - do not do this - refer to point 2.
4. slower yaw movements to the side will help produce more cinematic footage.

in addition - i noticed a few bits of image issues - makes me think that possibly you were at the edge of your signal reception (close to dropping signal) - if this is so then watch out for flying behind trees or land masses or anything that will block the LOS from your RC and drone.
Iit may also be a fault caused due to use of a device that is not on dji recomended list.
To explain this the way i understand it is that many new devices are by far powerful enough to handle the dji app - it seems as though some additional work is required from dji to make their app work properly on android.

happy flying.
2018-11-30
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bekaru MP UAV Posted at 11-30 23:16
hi dolphin - first let me say that i enjoyed the editing in yr video.
I am also a bit confused by yr question but will submit a few tips for you to consider.

Good tips mate
2018-12-1
Use props
dolphinvienna
lvl.1
Flight distance : 646 ft
Austria

CCScott Posted at 11-30 20:16
I'm confused... Are you saying the video is poor quality or the still images?. Your question doesn't make sense.

Either way, post the camera settings in your DJI app.

the video, only posted the still images to show the difference. the pictures are whitehaven beach and the drone footage is far away from reality. the phone image shows, what it really looked like there. we had bright sunshine, the dominating colours where white and blue and the drone footage is rather dark and greyish.

2018-12-1
Use props
Gazmg
Second Officer
Flight distance : 195358 ft
United Kingdom

Hi try this link and there are many out there that may help you...

https://store.dji.com/guides/7-c ... ost-beginners-make/
2018-12-1
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

dolphinvienna Posted at 12-1 02:38
the video, only posted the still images to show the difference. the pictures are whitehaven beach and the drone footage is far away from reality. the phone image shows, what it really looked like there. we had bright sunshine, the dominating colours where white and blue and the drone footage is rather dark and greyish.

. [view_image][view_image][view_image][view_image][view_image]

your camera settings are wrong

1. in the 2nd pic it is clear to see you are set to Auto - this must be set to manual
2. i see also you are set to d-log - d-log is good for when you will be doing post processing.
for better out the box results use a setting other than d-log for example true color  or other
2018-12-1
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Bekaru MP UAV Posted at 12-1 10:24
your camera settings are wrong

1. in the 2nd pic it is clear to see you are set to Auto - this must be set to manual

Ditto on using True Color over d-log for Out of Box results!
2018-12-1
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4698533 ft
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 12-1 11:26
Ditto on using True Color over d-log for Out of Box results!

agree with trimmer

D-Log great for stills using RAW or RAW+Jpeg since I post all my raw photos gets best contrast but requires post processing..

D-LOG video pretty much only when I need the boosted dynamic range like sunrise, sunset or contrasty scenes where I want as much detail at both ends of the histogram again requires mandatory post color correction in your video editor.. luts help here

I find for straight out, no post, I shoot casual video at 1080/24 if doing slow controlled detailed shooting or 30/60fps if I am flying fast or panning fast..

I like vivid for scenery and normal or sometimes cinelike depends on lighting

as mentioned ND filters critical for video if you want some motion blur and the ability to get your 'magic' shutter speed 2x framerate 180 rule footage.. although I like fast action sequences and sometimes like to bump up my shutter speed into the 160 range.. otherwise just too blurry.. but without ND filters your shutter is going to be 1000+ and that will give unacceptable results.

I generally have to use a very dense filter for video and drop at least a stop sometimes 2 for stills.. I don't like shooting stills from my drone at 1/60 or lower... unless its real calm just too much loss of sharpness due to drone motion.. i generally shoot for 1/120 to 1/500 shutters for stills..

the real gotcha on the mavic pro is the STYLE settings...  DJI does some non standard stuff here (in drone processing of the image) and 0 isn't necessarily no processing..

the big one here and you don't mention your issues on the footage but if its too soft or flat on detail.. any sharpness setting 0 or lower is going to get A LOT of noise reduction not just a lack of sharpening.  AND ITS REALLY POOR NOISE REDUCTION as it really flattens out detail.  I don't use anything less that 1

lots of videos and comparisons done on this STYLE setting.. I am still playing with mine but I GENERALLY shoot 1-0-0 .. I can do the rest in post.

2018-12-1
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

I no doubt will get crucified for this...

Feel there is a fine line between extra time and trouble of shooting with d-Log vs. extra boost in video quality with d-Log when one factors in: 1) Mavic's video quality to start with -and- 2) enjoying purpose of flying to get videos.

Quite a few people (I being one) would benefit from concentrating on taking of video - overall purpose, subject matter, flying about subject, framing of, eye on focus, and highlights / dark areas.  Versus extra effort of post-edit processing required with d-Log.

What I am trying to say, is heavy lifting of using d-Log can overwhelm people, especially those trying to learn.   Leading to discouragement or frustration.
2018-12-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

First your video is great, you shot in d log and this is the result you get in d log, but in d log you can retrieve much more information in your video in post, one mistake when shooting Was using Auto particularly with these drones and Mavic in particular what it has done is upped your iso to 400 which will create some unwanted noise in your video, but this can also be retrieved in post, if you don’t want to do much in post just apply a simple lut this will bring out much more dynamic range in your video and it will bring out what you actually saw.
D log is a video mode it’s not as someone said a photo option, raw is the option for stills. If you want a more straight out of camera use one of the colour profiles, they can also be improved in post, using Auto is fine but if your moving in and out of different light you will get lots of bright and dark pictures, get used to manual it will help your footage greatly.

Take on some really good advice from Bekaru.
2018-12-1
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 12-1 12:35
First your video is great, you shot in d log and this is the result you get in d log, but in d log you can retrieve much more information in your video in post, one mistake when shooting Was using Auto particularly with these drones and Mavic in particular what it has done is upped your iso to 400 which will create some unwanted noise in your video, but this can also be retrieved in post, if you don’t want to do much in post just apply a simple lut this will bring out much more dynamic range in your video and it will bring out what you actually saw.
D log is a video mode it’s not as someone said a photo option, raw is the option for stills. If you want a more straight out of camera use one of the colour profiles, they can also be improved in post, using Auto is fine but if your moving in and out of different light you will get lots of bright and dark pictures, get used to manual it will help your footage greatly.

you are not correct

D-Log is a COLOR profile and its applied in both video and photo shooting modes on the mavic... its no different than applying vivid, normal, etc.. its just how the camera will process the image.. and DLOG is a processing.. its not RAW.  SIMPLY D-log is just another in camera/drone processing of the image option.

I AGREE that its primarily used for video work BUT there are times to use DLOG for stills and I am experimenting with it but one obvious one would be timed shots to construct hyper laps as it would not be unlike shooting dlog in video.. the compression rate might be different and on the mavic you can't shoot RAW timed intervals below 10 seconds..

now getting into it..

First and foremost.. the mavic does not store a RAW file.. it stores a DNG file which.. spitting hairs is not RAW.. its processes (minimally) but allows the camera to present the image as it thinks it should look based on the settings.. just like it would apply to a jpeg .. more to follow

theoretically, however, if you are shooting RAW/DNG  (stills) it should not change the BASE information saved in the RAW/DNG file, as by definition, if applied correctly by DJI, they should be saving the entire output of the sensor prior to processing.  HOWEVER, DNG permits AS SHOT settings and the image can have a color / processing profile applied (its non destructive)  however when you enter an editor, it doesn't hobble you from pushing the photo as ALL the data is there.. regardless of the initial presentation.

now if you are working with a JPEG that was shot in DLOG then you will not have full sensor information to work with so...  its best to get the camera to process the image as close to your liking before it compresses the image into that JPEG.

So if you shoot a JPEG in DLOG while you MAY get more stops of dynamic range (debatable) you are likely to loose too much information to really post it properly although I have post processed a couple JPEGs taken in D-Log and they came out ok but the lighting situation wasn't a difficult one. but for video it may work again for things like a hyper lapse.. I have not tried it yet.. manual hyper lapses from stills.

here is the technical info on DNG

2) What is DNG?

DNG is also considered to be a RAW image file. It is Adobe’s proprietary image standard that was created to store image data in a generic, highly-compatible format, unlike RAW files that have specific formats based on manufacturer and camera type. Although DNG was invented by Adobe and is supported in all Adobe applications, there are other camera manufacturers such as Leica, Hasselblad and Pentax that adopted this standard and use it in their cameras as their native and supported RAW file format.

2.1) What are the Advantages of DNG format?

No need to be worried about proprietary camera RAW formats – once a RAW file in converted to DNG, it will work with any software that can properly read the DNG format.
DNG files can be made smaller than RAW files if minimal or no JPEG Preview is stored within the file.
Changes to images can be written directly into DNG files without having to create separate sidecar XMP files to store this data. This simplifies file management.
DNG files are capable of storing full original RAW files and these RAW files can be later be manually extracted, if needed (note: this will significantly increase DNG file size).
Adobe provides many ways to automatically convert RAW images to DNG format in such programs as Lightroom.
Unlike RAW files, the DNG format includes checksum information in the file to detect and prevent file corruption.
Adobe continues to work on the DNG format, enhancing it year after year and adding more functionality and features.
2.1) What are the Disadvantages of DNG format?

Conversion from RAW to DNG takes extra time during the import process. This can be significant when converting high-resolution images.
DNG does not work with most manufacturer image-processing programs. For example, it doesn’t work with Nikon’s Capture NX software.
DNG strips out most of the unrecognized meta data (such as Active D-Lighting, Picture Controls, Focus Point, etc) from RAW files, making it impossible to retrieve this data from DNG in the future.
Because all changes are written into the DNG file, you need to back up the entire DNG file every time you make changes to it.

2018-12-1
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

DeuceDriv3r Posted at 12-1 13:50
you are not correct

D-Log is a COLOR profile and its applied in both video and photo shooting modes on the mavic... its no different than applying vivid, normal, etc.. its just how the camera will process the image.. and DLOG is a processing.. its not RAW.  SIMPLY D-log is just another in camera/drone processing of the image option.

Slightly Off & On topic.  Do you know of a way in LightRoom to add a JPEG (.jpg) image to an existing DNG (.dng) file?  For purpose of being able to look at DNG file to see what image is without having to use LightRoom or a DNG file image viewer?

Couple of DuckDuckGo searches turned up nothing for after fact.  Turned up lots of hits on enabling JPEG image to be stored with RAW image at time DNG files is created.
2018-12-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

DeuceDriv3r Posted at 12-1 13:50
you are not correct

D-Log is a COLOR profile and its applied in both video and photo shooting modes on the mavic... its no different than applying vivid, normal, etc.. its just how the camera will process the image.. and DLOG is a processing.. its not RAW.  SIMPLY D-log is just another in camera/drone processing of the image option.

Using d log for photographs would have the effect of reducing dynamic range of Mavic Air from 11 to 8, cop yourself on that would be ridiculous .

RAW capturing is a good choice for still photos, as it ensures all highlight and shadow details are recorded. However, for video, RAW is not supported in most consumer-grade cameras. That is why we need D-Log, with which we can record enough dynamic range and leave more room for grading in post- production.
I have already been informed by other members what’s going on here and who I’m dealing with , so don’t Post any further questions to me.
2018-12-1
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
Second Officer
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 12-1 14:02
Slightly Off & On topic.  Do you know of a way in LightRoom to add a JPEG (.jpg) image to an existing DNG (.dng) file?  For purpose of being able to look at DNG file to see what image is without having to use LightRoom or a DNG file image viewer?

Couple of DuckDuckGo searches turned up nothing for after fact.  Turned up lots of hits on enabling JPEG image to be stored with RAW image at time DNG files is created.

lightroom gives you the option on jpeg preview options during create and I believe you are right.. once the DNG has been created I don't know if there is a way to go in and ADD a jpeg.. because in reality.. adding it after the fact the program doesn't know the state of the edit... which is what the jpeg file is there for .. to show a non DNG speaking program the non destructive edits you made to the raw file

however I don't THINK there is an option that doesn't include the jpeg preview?  there is always a preview and the choices are on the size and whether to imbed or sidecar that file or both...

one way I can think of if truly you think you have DNG files without a jpeg preview would be to export the file as a DNG in lightroom (can batch this as well I think) and that gives you the option on jpeg preview size etc.. that gives you an option to 're-create' a DNG with all the edits and a new preview jpeg.. then re-import?

thinking out loud

2018-12-1
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 12-1 14:16
Using d log for photographs would have the effect of reducing dynamic range of Mavic Air from 11 to 8, cop yourself on that would be ridiculous .

RAW capturing is a good choice for still photos, as it ensures all highlight and shadow details are recorded. However, for video, RAW is not supported in most consumer-grade cameras. That is why we need D-Log, with which we can record enough dynamic range and leave more room for grading in post- production.

this is YOUR quote...

"D log is a video mode it’s not as someone said a photo option, "

You are WRONG .. own it..

D-Log is a color setting and is applied camera-wide.. not just a video setting..

as far as you knowing what is going on.. I doubt that...

further.. as far as anyone asking you specifically whats going on... I don't recall anyone asking you anything...
2018-12-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

DeuceDriv3r Posted at 12-1 16:29
this is YOUR quote...

"D log is a video mode it’s not as someone said a photo option, "

Quit trolling now.
2018-12-1
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
Second Officer
United States

I am not trolling.. I am calling you out on your verbal diarrhea of a post that is chock full of wrong...

2018-12-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

DeuceDriv3r Posted at 12-1 16:35
I am not trolling.. I am calling you out on your verbal diarrhea of a post that is chock full of wrong...

You know who you sound like. LMAO....... your a troll now I won’t ask again, who appointed you the person to call anyone out, it’s me calling you out.
Goodbye.
2018-12-1
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

DeuceDriv3r Posted at 12-1 14:54
lightroom gives you the option on jpeg preview options during create and I believe you are right.. once the DNG has been created I don't know if there is a way to go in and ADD a jpeg.. because in reality.. adding it after the fact the program doesn't know the state of the edit... which is what the jpeg file is there for .. to show a non DNG speaking program the non destructive edits you made to the raw file

however I don't THINK there is an option that doesn't include the jpeg preview?  there is always a preview and the choices are on the size and whether to imbed or sidecar that file or both...

one way I can think of if truly you think you have DNG files without a jpeg preview would be to export the file as a DNG

That is what I was afraid of.  Lots of work even if batched.  I had never run into issue with DNG files till about a month ago.  Needed an old photo I taken.  Could access system with photos via dedicated VPN connection (albiet slow).  I knew folder/sub-folder, but could not preview numerous images - something about computer being used not having proper support for camera the images were taken with, when stored in DNG file format.  Could look at DNG images in other folders, which were taken with different camera.

Despite DNG being Open Standard (still owned by Adobe), and promoted to camera manufactures, the Big three are not buying in.  Which has me concerned about long-term future access of images stored in DNG format.  
2018-12-1
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
Second Officer
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 12-1 19:14
one way I can think of if truly you think you have DNG files without a jpeg preview would be to export the file as a DNG

That is what I was afraid of.  Lots of work even if batched.  I had never run into issue with DNG files till about a month ago.  Needed an old photo I taken.  Could access system with photos via dedicated VPN connection (albiet slow).  I knew folder/sub-folder, but could not preview numerous images - something about computer being used not having proper support for camera the images were taken with, when stored in DNG file format.  Could look at DNG images in other folders, which were taken with different camera.

Thankfully I have a large server in my home with 24tb of ZFS backed storage and 32tb backup array so when I import into Lightroom 5 I choose to imbed the original Canon raw file into the DMG. I also keep the original canon raw and jpg in a seperate folder. Both are backed up onto the backup array. ZFS provides checksum based silent bitrate protection and drive failure rebuild and I have 4 copies of every pic.

Now that I am shooting more video with each file running 4gb or so looks like I will be adding drives to the array
2018-12-1
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

DeuceDriv3r Posted at 12-1 20:06
Thankfully I have a large server in my home with 24tb of ZFS backed storage and 32tb backup array so when I import into Lightroom 5 I choose to imbed the original Canon raw file into the DMG. I also keep the original canon raw and jpg in a seperate folder. Both are backed up onto the backup array. ZFS provides checksum based silent bitrate protection and drive failure rebuild and I have 4 copies of every pic.

Now that I am shooting more video with each file running 4gb or so looks like I will be adding drives to the array

Nice!  
Donning my computer system engineer Hat...  My one suggestion is keep a copy Offsite (outside your home) in a secure location (heavy metal safe - to protect against natural disasters).

2018-12-1
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
Second Officer
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 12-1 20:41
Nice!  
Donning my computer system engineer Hat...  My one suggestion is keep a copy Offsite (outside your home) in a secure location (heavy metal safe - to protect against natural disasters).

Still working on that one. But you are absolutely correct I need offsite.
2018-12-1
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Also great tips mate.
2018-12-1
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DeuceDriv3r Posted at 12-1 16:35
I am not trolling.. I am calling you out on your verbal diarrhea of a post that is chock full of wrong...

I don't think you were trolling either. There is absolutely nothing wrong in expressing opinion that is on topic and factual.
2018-12-2
Use props
EdisonW1979
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1535679 ft
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 12-1 16:39
You know who you sound like. LMAO....... your a troll now I won’t ask again, who appointed you the person to call anyone out, it’s me calling you out.
Goodbye.

OMFG, you're brain dead pal!

You don't know what you're talking about, were proven FLAT OUT WRONG, own it, and maybe, even, possibly, LEARN something!

This brings back memories of you claiming a 1/4 turn is 25 degrees! Ah the fun...
2018-12-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

EdisonW1979 Posted at 12-4 19:08
OMFG, you're brain dead pal!

You don't know what you're talking about, were proven FLAT OUT WRONG, own it, and maybe, even, possibly, LEARN something!

This from a guy who crashed his drone first or second time out and has spent the last 8 months blaming everyone else except himself.
Some one who comes on this forum to troll and seek me out on a regular basis who continually talks out the side of his mouth.
Who told us all he’s a pro photographer had lost so much work because his MavAir wasn’t working, who’s the B/shi##er.
Now troll on .
2018-12-5
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
Flight distance : 9249964 ft
  • >>>
United States

Gazmg Posted at 12-1 02:56
Hi try this link and there are many out there that may help you...

https://store.dji.com/guides/7-camera-setting-mistakes-most-beginners-make/

Great link.
2018-12-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules