Got Tello today - good flight, but no video recording!
10961 23 2018-11-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BumblerBee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 639764 ft
Norway

So, my Tello arrived in the post today, along with a remote controller (GameSir), a spare battery (because I like to have more juice with me), and a set of props (because I didn't know that the spare ones were included). What was not included, was a charger micro-USB cable. Luckily I have a spare Raspberry Pi power unit, as well as being able to use the Mavic Pro m-USB cable, which is used to charge the MP controller and to connect MP to the PC.

I've also ordered this USB Wi-Fi range extender: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Xiaomi- ... ripeti/183488845141
On EBay it costs half of what exactly the same model costs on Amazon! I plan to use it with the Mavic Pro battery in power bank mode to get Tello to the 100m range (but that will have to wait till spring)

I have a Mavic Pro for all the serious flying, while Tello was bought for some fun experimental flying, programming (will be trying out DroneBlocks app) and indoor operations.

The first flight in the living room, then up the stairs to the second floor was impressive. Amazing how it manages to hold position even in low light. Easy to control, and the battery holds for a long time.

What I won't be sharing here, are videos, because the app freezes when I COMPLETE video recording, with no video ending up on the storage after the app is restarted and control regained. My phone is an iPhone 6S Plus, running iOS 12.1

To recap, the recording seems to go fine, until I hit the record button for the second time to end the clip, at which point the app freezes. It happens both in the manual mode and in a programmed 360 mode (the only one, which I tried so far).

Tello.JPG
2018-11-30
Use props
Glauco Rigol
New

Brazil

The same here.
2018-11-30
Use props
Cepheroh
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1691959 ft

Malaysia

Same here app freeze after recording and 360
2018-12-1
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Congrats - hope you get it working soon
2018-12-1
Use props
BumblerBee
Second Officer
Norway

I flew outdoors today, with the same video result (somehow the app managged to record an accidental 2 second log video clip, but all the other attempts resulted in the app freezing).
On another thread, someone suggested turning off the location services for Tello - this did not help.

On a bright side, tried the Teeeello iOS app to make an automatic panorama image of 11 stitched photos, which worked pretty well

@Ryze, this is a serious and reproducible bug in the app, which affects many of your customers. Recording video from the flights and the programmed missions is a fundamental, central part of the Tello experience!
The only reason I am not returning the product, is that I am expecting you to fix it ASAP.

Incidentally, the app does not need to write to its own private storage. Why not make a Tello album on the camera roll and write there directly, like some other photo/video app do?

2018-12-1
Use props
RYZE
Super Moderator

Hong Kong

That must have been frustrating for you.  Per it, can you solve this issue by reinstall the Tello App? If the firmware version of your Tello drone is not the latest one, you can update the firmware to the latest version first (01.04.35.01). Our engineers are handling with this issue and will solve this issue in the next version app.  If you have a compatible Android device, please use it for the time being. Sorry for any inconvenience caused.
2018-12-2
Use props
Cepheroh
lvl.4

Malaysia

BumblerBee Posted at 12-1 06:23
I flew outdoors today, with the same video result (somehow the app managged to record an accidental 2 second log video clip, but all the other attempts resulted in the app freezing).
On another thread, someone suggested turning off the location services for Tello - this did not help.

I tried using the teeello app for IOS and take panoramic photo its cool. However i tested when loose connection with drone it will just shut off and fall from sky. Beware!
2018-12-2
Use props
BumblerBee
Second Officer
Norway

Cepheroh Posted at 12-2 01:51
I tried using the teeello app for IOS and take panoramic photo its cool. However i tested when loose connection with drone it will just shut off and fall from sky. Beware!

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll be sure to stand below Tello ready to catch it (and to be out of the shot) and only fly 2-3 meters above something soft.
2018-12-2
Use props
BumblerBee
Second Officer
Norway

RYZE Posted at 12-2 00:53
That must have been frustrating for you.  Per it, can you solve this issue by reinstall the Tello App? If the firmware version of your Tello drone is not the latest one, you can update the firmware to the latest version first (01.04.35.01). Our engineers are handling with this issue and will solve this issue in the next version app.  If you have a compatible Android device, please use it for the time being. Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

The drone is on version 01.03.33.01. An I only have 1 phone.

EDIT: Tried uninstalling the app and then reinstalling it. At first it seemed promising. It managed to record and save a 37 second long clip. However, when I started recording the second clip, and stopped the recording at about 15 seconds, the app froze as before.

I am a bit weary of upgrading, seeing the feedback on the forum. (Even my Mavic is 3 versions behind, but there I could downgrade after discovering course orientation and video stutter problems).

Besides, this seems to be a problem on the app end - unlike Mavic, Tello does not record on board and receives no commands to star/tstop recording. It only trnasmits the video stream to the app.

Hmm. Maybe I'll just do iOS screen recording as a temporary work-around
2018-12-2
Use props
BumblerBee
Second Officer
Norway

Cepheroh Posted at 12-2 01:51

I wouldn't be me if I did not try this at home (literally). Tello behaved nicely, continuing to hover. I closed the app both while it was hovering and while it was in the photo-taking program mode. Both times it just continued to hang in there. On the second occasion I took the control over in the official app.

EDIT: I also tried disconnecting from the Tello WiFi hotspot, with Tello just stopping the program and hovering. Interestingly, in this case, when I reconnected to the hotspot in about 30-40 seconds' time, and launched the official app, it shows the "Landing..." status, even though the drone was continuing to hover. I cancelled landing and reinitiated it to actually land.

2018-12-2
Use props
Cepheroh
lvl.4

Malaysia

BumblerBee Posted at 12-2 03:08
I wouldn't be me if I did not try this at home (literally). Tello behaved nicely, continuing to hover. I closed the app both while it was hovering and while it was in the photo-taking program mode. Both times it just continued to hang in there. On the second occasion I took the control over in the official app.

EDIT: I also tried disconnecting from the Tello WiFi hotspot, with Tello just stopping the program and hovering. Interestingly, in this case, when I reconnected to the hotspot in about 30-40 seconds' time, and launched the official app, it shows the "Landing..." status, even though the drone was continuing to hover. I cancelled landing and reinitiated it to actually land.

Yes i am experiencing yours as well and once fall from sky. Lol. Luckily the Tello is tough.
2018-12-2
Use props
RYZE
Super Moderator

Hong Kong

BumblerBee Posted at 12-2 03:06
The drone is on version 01.03.33.01. An I only have 1 phone.

EDIT: Tried uninstalling the app and then reinstalling it. At first it seemed promising. It managed to record and save a 37 second long clip. However, when I started recording the second clip, and stopped the recording at about 15 seconds, the app froze as before.

That would be well received,Bumbler Bee. We appreciate your alternative method of recording and wanna say thank for your understanding.
2018-12-2
Use props
RYZE
Super Moderator

Hong Kong

I wouldn't be me if I did not try this at home (literally). Tello behaved nicely, continuing to hover. I closed the app both while it was hovering and while it was in the photo-taking program mode. Both times it just continued to hang in there. On the second occasion I took the control over in the official app.

Normally,  it would hover for about 50s, then land on place automatically after losing wifi signal. Would you mind to give a try?  Could you please show us some screenshots or video If something abnormal happens again?   Thanks a lot in advanced.
2018-12-2
Use props
RYZE
Super Moderator

Hong Kong

Normally,  it would hover for about 50s, then land on place automatically after losing wifi signal. Would you mind to give a try?  Could you please show us some screenshots or video If something abnormal happens again?   Thanks a lot in advance.
2018-12-2
Use props
BumblerBee
Second Officer
Norway

RYZE Posted at 12-2 17:34
Normally,  it would hover for about 50s, then land on place automatically after losing wifi signal. Would you mind to give a try?  Could you please show us some screenshots or video If something abnormal happens again?   Thanks a lot in advance.

I experiemnted with disconnection from the Tello Wi-Fi spot and starting a timer. After about 50s Tello started descending, but it stopped at 30cm above the floor and just hang there. The only possible way to land it and shut off its motors, was to reconnect, cancel the landing from the app and re-initiate the landing.
That is, incidentally, the same behaviour when you pull the stick down and land manually. Tello would god as low as 30cm, pause and will only do the final landing if continue to hold the left stick down. It looks like the automatic landing does not do that last bit of the landing cycle.
2018-12-3
Use props
Ellinor William
lvl.2

United States

#Quick Reply Here# What you see in the app is the cached version of the footage. Your SD card doesn’t have the original footage stored in it. Many of the GoPro users face this problem and some even end up overwriting their SD cards before even trying to recover. Your videos were either accidentally deleted or got corrupt.  I would recommend you to give Stellar Phoenix Photo Recovery software a try. There are chances that you’ll be able to recover and play the original version of your video. Make sure you try and run the free preview of the program to make sure you are able to scan the videos. After that, just Scan and Recover the desired file in no time.
2018-12-4
Use props
BumblerBee
Second Officer
Norway

Ellinor William Posted at 12-4 21:40
#Quick Reply Here# What you see in the app is the cached version of the footage. Your SD card doesn’t have the original footage stored in it. Many of the GoPro users face this problem and some even end up overwriting their SD cards before even trying to recover. Your videos were either accidentally deleted or got corrupt.  I would recommend you to give Stellar Phoenix Photo Recovery software a try. There are chances that you’ll be able to recover and play the original version of your video. Make sure you try and run the free preview of the program to make sure you are able to scan the videos. After that, just Scan and Recover the desired file in no time.

Hi,
There is no SD card on Tello or on iPhone. ;)
The video is transferred to the app, where the app saves it in it sandbox storage (not on the iOS camera roll). A bug in the Tello app makes it freez and not save any recording when you stop the recording session
2018-12-5
Use props
Alessandro Actis Perinetto
New

Italy

Good evening,
I am here with the same problem: my Tello (bought this morning) does not record videos and crashes the app.
How can I fix this situation?
2018-12-5
Use props
FlyingPotato
New

South Africa

I've been checking around to see if anyone has the same problem as be. Ironically its end of yeah. But December the 3rd of 2019 and this Video crashing, freezing or not recording is still around. Even with the app updates, firmware and latest version of Tello.

What's the point of having a video recording camera if you can't record it.
2019-12-4
Use props
BumblerBee
Second Officer
Norway

FlyingPotato Posted at 2019-12-4 00:48
I've been checking around to see if anyone has the same problem as be. Ironically its end of yeah. But December the 3rd of 2019 and this Video crashing, freezing or not recording is still around. Even with the app updates, firmware and latest version of Tello.

What's the point of having a video recording camera if you can't record it.

Are you sure you are on the latest version of the Firmware and the app? I haven't had this issue for quite some time now!
2020-6-21
Use props
darkroom7734
New
Flight distance : 5194 ft
United States

so all of this is from 2018 and earlier and it seems its still an issue in 2021 with myt product ryze
2021-11-14
Use props
rp123
New

United States

darkroom7734 Posted at 11-14 10:52
so all of this is from 2018 and earlier and it seems its still an issue in 2021 with myt product ryze

Try changing the phones Apps Permissions. Make sure the Tello app has storage permission.

After two days of problems it finally started saving the videos for me.
That was after an hour of frustration with the network connection which needed to be in "Airplane" mode to start.

The drone fly's well but the programming of the app took way to much experimenting.
2021-12-27
Use props
ro_flyer
First Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

A CW Posted at 2018-12-1 01:38
Congrats - hope you get it working soon

2022-3-5
Use props
djiuser_7W2ItrrTcZAa
New