1284 25 2018-12-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
KennyB
lvl.4
Flight distance : 674137 ft
United States

DJI & my fellow drone enthusiasts,

I am playing with light configurations for a Phantom 4 Pro v2 for night time operations and I had a thought...maybe a bad idea but thought I would run it up the old flag pole and see who salutes it. I have decided that for my purchases I am going to go with the Strobon Cree lights probably both for navigation as well as collision detection. While looking at this the idea of a tail strobe (like on a real helicopter) could be desireable but since the Phantom doesn't have a tail I thought maybe the back of the gimbal (see diagram below).

I already plan to use the legs for navigational lights. My question I guess is would this cause an issue for normal gimbal function, and if not, would the light from the strobe disrupt the downward looking sensors that are just above the back of the gimbal? I think I know the answer...probably not a good idea but thought I would get an official answer and hear thought about it.

Light and light diagram

Light and light diagram
2018-12-3
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Personally,  I don't think I'd mess with something that's working fine.  It could wind up being an expensive experiment.
2018-12-3
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi Kenny, we do appreciate your interest in our products. Just a friendly reminder, we don't recommend you to use a third party accessories because we are unable to ensure the compatibility and performance. Thanks for your understanding.

1.PNG.png
2018-12-3
Use props
KennyB
lvl.4
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 12-3 05:35
Hi Kenny, we do appreciate your interest in our products. Just a friendly reminder, we don't recommend you to use a third party accessories because we are unable to ensure the compatibility and performance. Thanks for your understanding.

Thanks for the reminder. I appreciate your response to my post.
2018-12-3
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

KennyB Posted at 12-3 05:40
Thanks for the reminder. I appreciate your response to my post.

You're welcome. If you needed any help, please don't hesitate to contact us. Enjoy and always have a safe flight!
2018-12-3
Use props
msinger
First Officer
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

Why not just attach a light to one of the rear legs? It would be pointing in the same direction.

3.jpg

2018-12-3
Use props
KennyB
lvl.4
United States

msinger Posted at 12-3 07:48
Why not just attach a light to one of the rear legs? It would be pointing in the same direction.

[view_image][Image]

I had plans to do that already for navigational light which are solid. Collusion lights are strobes...my plan was the ones on the legs would be navigational lights.
2018-12-3
Use props
msinger
First Officer
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

Maybe just attach the collision lights to the legs too? From a distance, I don't think you'll be able to tell whether the light is attached to the leg or rear of the gimbal.
2018-12-3
Use props
KennyB
lvl.4
United States

That would probably work. That is just me being a perfectionist/nerd and not thinking about the real world application of the lights nor the reality of the drone size at a distance.
2018-12-3
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Still loving my Lume Cubes... ;-)

All the colours of different available filters are awesome as well.

RedHotPoker
2018-12-3
Use props
KennyB
lvl.4
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 12-3 15:55
Still loving my Lume Cubes... ;-)

All the colours of different available filters are awesome as well.

I know you are...LOL...do they give you a commission if someone buys them and says "Red sent me"? Just razzing you a little...they are nice.
2018-12-4
Use props
KennyB
lvl.4
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 12-3 05:35

Can I ask what that screen capture is from? Is it from the Care plan or somewhere else?
2018-12-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

KennyB Posted at 12-4 06:31
I know you are...LOL...do they give you a commission if someone buys them and says "Red sent me"? Just razzing you a little...they are nice.

Yes, and yes. Haha

I have a hat and tee shirt combo. Haha
On the cap, I wear the white enamel DJI pin... Chuckles

RedHotPoker

2018-12-4
Use props
KennyB
lvl.4
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 12-4 12:07
Yes, and yes. Haha

I have a hat and tee shirt combo. Haha

I figure you did...either that or you just LOVE your lights...Probably both
2018-12-7
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

WKennyB Posted at 12-7 08:40
I figure you did...either that or you just LOVE your lights...Probably both

It’s a wonderful day in the neighbor-hood, a wonderful day in the hood...
I love the black hat in winter...

ACA1152F-D472-4693-B225-34FD6689E966.jpeg

Do you prefer the 52CFAA1F-3A3A-4407-8C21-7D72B5E67DC0.jpeg Grey for summer....?

RedHotPoker

2018-12-7
Use props
FatherXmas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

I would be afraid the weight of the light would cause a gimbal overload. From what I've seen in posts the last couple years, even a slightly heavy ND filter messes things up.
2018-12-7
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The light would be attached to the back of the gimbal, very different to adding weight to the lens itself, Kenny, the only way would be with some velcro or as mentioned, on the legs, something you need to be aware of, behind the gimbal would be hard for other aircraft to see the strobe, even from behind, as their view would normally be from an angle above the drone , back legs would be better in this scenario...
2018-12-9
Use props
KennyB
lvl.4
United States

Bashy Posted at 12-9 19:58
The light would be attached to the back of the gimbal, very different to adding weight to the lens itself, Kenny, the only way would be with some velcro or as mentioned, on the legs, something you need to be aware of, behind the gimbal would be hard for other aircraft to see the strobe, even from behind, as their view would normally be from an angle above the drone , back legs would be better in this scenario...

Thanks for the response. That is a great point. I have decided to just mount to the legs. I also decided I would submit my FAA 107.29 waiver and attempt to get it passed before proceeding too far since that is ultimately my goal of this whole exercise.
2018-12-10
Use props
KennyB
lvl.4
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 12-7 09:17
It’s a wonderful day in the neighbor-hood, a wonderful day in the hood...
I love the black hat in winter...

I prefer the black one...although what I really want is a DJI propellers bag that it seems DJI stopped including with the latest models. Know where I can get one f those?
2018-12-10
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

KennyB Posted at 12-10 06:59
I prefer the black one...although what I really want is a DJI propellers bag that it seems DJI stopped including with the latest models. Know where I can get one f those?

Yup, online... ha

https://carolinadronz.com/produc ... ?variant=3330729987

https://www.quadcopterdrone.net/dji-phantom-3-professional-pro-drone-8-new-propellerprop-blades-9450-bag/
Several retail outlets carry those. For Phantom 4, Carbon fiber too. ;-)
https://www.drone-world.com/dji-phantom-4-carbon-fiber-propellers

EAB1C592-4256-4869-AB60-1312FF1A7303.png

RedHotPoker

2018-12-10
Use props
KennyB
lvl.4
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 12-10 09:25
Yup, online... ha

https://carolinadronz.com/produc ... ?variant=3330729987

What are the benefits of the carbon fiber props? I read, that to use them, you have to replace the prop mounts as this are self locking...Drone World mentions something about the springs on the factory models wearing out between 30-100 flights...first I had heard of that...I already have in the neighborhood or 60 flights is and no issue yet.
2018-12-12
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Slightly stiffer, perhaps quicker response?  They can hurt you, be careful using those.

Not sure, aside from looking much nicer...

I can’t comment on the OEM DJI  prop springs, wear and tear... not privy to that information.

RedHotPoker
2018-12-12
Use props
DeepFriedOprah
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1709094 ft
United States

KennyB Posted at 12-10 06:58
Thanks for the response. That is a great point. I have decided to just mount to the legs. I also decided I would submit my FAA 107.29 waiver and attempt to get it passed before proceeding too far since that is ultimately my goal of this whole exercise.

Kenny,
Would this waiver be for a one time use or would it allow you to fly at night whenever you want, so long as you meet all the requirements of the approved waiver?
2018-12-12
Use props
KennyB
lvl.4
United States

DeepFriedOprah Posted at 12-12 16:47
Kenny,
Would this waiver be for a one time use or would it allow you to fly at night whenever you want, so long as you meet all the requirements of the approved waiver?

The FAA want specific location(s) but once you have it barring any airspace classification changes theoretically I could fly whenever I wanted to. They generally give these waivers out for an extended period of time but if you only ask for a select window they will make it for that (assuming they give it to you at all).

For mine specifically I am asking for an area that is a few square miles. Once I have it I should be able to replicate for other locations. I plan to treat any air authorizations separate from the waiver...which seems easier to me.
2018-12-13
Use props
KennyB
lvl.4
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 12-12 10:11
Slightly stiffer, perhaps quicker response?  They can hurt you, be careful using those.

Not sure, aside from looking much nicer...

Yeah I have heard about the carbon fiber blades cutting people...didn't know if that was real or more anti drone propaganda. I know that the blades in general are moving pretty darn fast...and if the carbon fiber ones are more rigid maybe I could see that.
2018-12-13
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

KennyB Posted at 12-13 09:43
Yeah I have heard about the carbon fiber blades cutting people...didn't know if that was real or more anti drone propaganda. I know that the blades in general are moving pretty darn fast...and if the carbon fiber ones are more rigid maybe I could see that.

Trust my warning, and never temp fate with carbon fiber rotor props.

There have been several serious accidents over the past few years.

RedHotPoker
2018-12-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules