Mavic 2 Pro - Stuck White Pixel on 4K Full FOV Videos
7098 38 2018-12-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ygor
lvl.4
Flight distance : 719245 ft
Brazil

I have recently acquired a Mavic 2 Pro and today I have noticed a stuck white pixel on all videos taken on 4K Full FOV mode.

I have already tried to refresh the drone firmware, reset camera settings, repair the control and many other standard procedures. The white pixel can be noticed on several different screens / devices (tried on both my Mac Mini, Macbook Pro, iPad and 3 different iPhones), all devices show the white pixel in the same position on 4K Full FOV videos.

I have tried to capture the videos with several different camera settings and the white pixel is always in the same location, although it only appears on 4K Full FOV mode and do not appear on 4K HQ mode or in other resolutions.

Follows the link for the video with the White Pixel shown on the position indicated on the screenshot.

I have many other videos taken with my drone should you need more for verifying the problem.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cy6j8q5yxce9kmg/Video%2020-11-18%2018%2007%2015.mov?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/we6qfwssst246d5/Photo%2021-11-18%2022%2026%2040.jpg?dl=0

M2P Stuck Pixel

M2P Stuck Pixel

Already engaged DJI Support and they have requesteded a video on a dark room for further diagnostics.

Can you see it?
2018-12-5
Use props
ygor
lvl.4
Brazil

So today I have took the videos and also noticed 2 more slightly lit pixels as in the picture below. Those are shown only in 4K Full FOV video mode and some can be spotted on RAW DNG pictures:

Here's my reply to DJI Support (with loads of links):

""
I have already checked if it was dirty on the lenses but unfortunately it seems that this is not the problem.

As you have requested, I took a 4k Full FOV video sample on a room and them switched the lights OFF during the video so you can see that the “stuck” lit pixel persists. I have indicated the stuck pixel in the screenshot image https://www.icloud.com/iclouddri ... IYL0cA#screenshot01 with a RED arrow. I have also found 02 other faulty pixels indicated both by BLUE and a GREEN arrows.

The video can be downloaded in full quality over this link: https://www.icloud.com/iclouddri ... YT3o7Vh1JA#DJI_0084

You can notice that during the video I have moved the gimbal a bit so you can see that the “stuck” / lit pixels stay in the same position while the camera moves.

I have also took another video sample and indicated the same stuck / lit pixels on the screenshot https://www.icloud.com/iclouddri ... EAroSQ#screenshot02 this time I took the video on a dark room from the beginning.

This second video can be downloaded over this link: https://www.icloud.com/iclouddri ... V4V8lLODRA#DJI_0088

It worth noting that the stuck pixel indicated on the screenshots above by the red arrows can even be seen on the phone / tablet on the DJI Go 4 app.

I have also took a picture in raw/DNG format that shows a green stuck pixel somewhere about the red arrows indicates on the videos, you can check this here: https://www.icloud.com/iclouddri ... sXjfHvGIZA#DJI_0086 where some of the lit pixels can be seen on the bottom right of the chair and on the top of the curtain as indicated on this other screenshot: https://www.icloud.com/iclouddri ... J-LHww#screenshot03

Also I have took a raw DNG photo of the room in complete darkness showing several lit pixels (apart from the status led of the router and the TV) that you can check here: https://www.icloud.com/iclouddri ... 4ZrgVenAgg#DJI_0087

Finally I have took another very short video also in 4K Full FOV showing that the pixel indicated with the red arrow in all previous samples is showing even on well lit environments. you can see it blinking near my finger and the right controller antenna on this video: https://www.icloud.com/iclouddri ... bZy6ba0slA#DJI_0089

Can I provide any further information or diagnostics for proving that the camera is defective?
screenshot02.png
2018-12-5
Use props
ygor
lvl.4
Brazil

I have received a response from them asking me to send the drone for service but I’m still waiting for a case number or something
2018-12-5
Use props
ygor
lvl.4
Brazil

@DJI Natalia @DJI Susan hello! DJI support went silent over email since my last question. Can you help me?

They have provided a number for me here in Brazil and asked to send the drone for repair but didn’t provide me a case number yet. Can you check that please?

Thanks
2018-12-5
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

ygor Posted at 12-5 17:27
So today I have took the videos and also noticed 2 more slightly lit pixels as in the picture below. Those are shown only in 4K Full FOV video mode and some can be spotted on RAW DNG pictures:

[view_image]

If you have a Windows computer, you might try Dead Pixel Test StarZen Technologies

2018-12-5
Use props
ygor
lvl.4
Brazil

After getting in contact with local DJI Brazilian support, they said that they don’t provide support to the Mavic 2 in Brazil yet and asked me to contact back DJI support in USA.

I’m feeling lost, what can I do??

Follows the email response they have sent me:

Bruno.Vinicius.de.Pádua (大疆创新)
Dec 7, 20:39 CST

Bom dia,

Sinto muito pelo ocorrido, porém no brasil ainda não prestamos suporte ao Mavic 2 pro, peço que entre em contato com a DJI dos EUA para ter suporte sobre esse problema.

Atenciosamente,
Bruno Pádua - Suporte Técnico DJI

Thanks,
2018-12-7
Use props
paul2660
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10331 ft
  • >>>
United States

Stuck pixels are common on all digital cameras, most will now have a process to map them out, DJI doesn't that I am aware of.    If you can't get DJI to replace it or map out the problem pixels (something they would have to have the drone back for), then it's simple enough on stills to clone/heal out stuck pixels or use Capture One single pixel noise reduction slider in (Capture One by Phase One).  

In video, I am sure there is a similar tool set to clone out a stuck pixel, but I don't know what it is.  

This issue will get much more notice once DJI brings a consumer drone to market with interchangeable lenses, i.e. dust on sensor.  Shows up on video really quick.

Paul C
2018-12-8
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi ygor, we're sorry for the late response. I have checked your issue and sorry that the unit needs to be sent in for diagnosis. May I know where did you purchase the unit? Upon checking the SN you offered in the email, the unit should be available in the US market where the warranty locates. Please kindly contact your seller and help to unit the unit to the US service center for the warranty claim, thank you!
2018-12-12
Use props
ygor
lvl.4
Brazil

DJI Susan Posted at 12-12 00:15
Hi ygor, we're sorry for the late response. I have checked your issue and sorry that the unit needs to be sent in for diagnosis. May I know where did you purchase the unit? Upon checking the SN you offered in the email, the unit should be available in the US market where the warranty locates. Please kindly contact your seller and help to unit the unit to the US service center for the warranty claim, thank you!

Hi Susan, I bought in USA during one of my travels, but I currently live in Brazil.
2018-12-12
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

ygor Posted at 12-12 08:40
Hi Susan, I bought in USA during one of my travels, but I currently live in Brazil.

Hi ygor, please note according to our after-sales policy, customers can obtain warranty service only at a designated DJI repair center in the region where he/she purchased the product. Since your drone was purchased from the USA, please send in the drone to DJI official repair center in NA for the repair service, besides, the repair center in Brazil doesn't support the Mavic 2 pro currently, and you will need to send in the drone by yourself, we are so sorry for this situation and the inconvenience caused. GTScreenshot_20181213_184643.png
2018-12-13
Use props
ygor
lvl.4
Brazil

@DJI Mindy I will be in the USA again on March for around 15 days. Do you know how much time does it take for the repair / replacement? Can you ship to my hotel?
I do have DJI Care Refresh
2018-12-20
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

ygor Posted at 12-20 19:37
@DJI Mindy I will be in the USA again on March for around 15 days. Do you know how much time does it take for the repair / replacement? Can you ship to my hotel?
I do have DJI Care Refresh

It would be great if you send in the drone when you come to the USA, we will provide the shipping label.
The overall repair time will be 6-8 working days excluding the shipping and delivering time, the approximate time frame of DJI Care Refresh would be 4-5 working days and DJI Care Refresh Express would be 1-2 business days, also, the shipping and delivery time will not be included.
2018-12-20
Use props
Sudo911
lvl.2
Flight distance : 486545 ft
Ireland

Ygor,

Let me know how you get on with DJI Support. Ive had the same issue with mine which I only noticed on the 1st night time flight (about 6 weeks after I received the drone). I've been battling with DJI support who refuse to replace under warranty as I didnt report it within the 14 day warranty period. Was advised the same as you, send it back for repair, only to get a lovely email stating "If you want to repair the aircraft, the cost of repair will be €411.97 (VAT and shipping cost excluded) according to DJI's damage assessment. Please contact DJI Support and get your repair quotation" but luckily as I had the DJI Care Refresh package I only had to pay €119+VAT. They've been on a bit of a witchhunt thoughout trying to pinpoint the issue to a crash/pilot error and not a manufacturing defect.

My support ticket is ongoing since end of November, going to legal now,  but after doing a bit of research it looks like I'm not the only one suffering with the defective CMOS sensor/Hot Pixel issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P16Lh_9MrkE
2018-12-27
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Sudo911 Posted at 12-27 11:40
Ygor,

Let me know how you get on with DJI Support. Ive had the same issue with mine which I only noticed on the 1st night time flight (about 6 weeks after I received the drone). I've been battling with DJI support who refuse to replace under warranty as I didnt report it within the 14 day warranty period. Was advised the same as you, send it back for repair, only to get a lovely email stating "If you want to repair the aircraft, the cost of repair will be €411.97 (VAT and shipping cost excluded) according to DJI's damage assessment. Please contact DJI Support and get your repair quotation" but luckily as I had the DJI Care Refresh package I only had to pay €119+VAT. They've been on a bit of a witchhunt thoughout trying to pinpoint the issue to a crash/pilot error and not a manufacturing defect.

Hi Sudo911, sorry for the troubles with the drone, I managed to get your case number via your Forum account, per the damage assessment, there are many scratches with the drone. The drone has the physical damages and the impact caused the sensor damage according to the team, therefore, the warranty service cannot be provided, you should have received the pictures, please let us know if you have further concern, thank you.
2018-12-28
Use props
Francis
Second Officer
Flight distance : 774203 ft
Brazil

I have same issue on both Mavic 2 zoom and pro. There are some people with same complaint. Every day one more complaint appear on web. So it is not a defective camera and dead pixels. there are a lots of white dots in  night shots videos and photos. It is impossible to be dead pixels.  This is a software or hardware flaw on those mavic 2 series. If DJI wold test one that drones into a dark room they will can notice and fix this flaw. I m from Brasil and cannot send my drones back. I wish to send them back because something like that is unacceptable.
2019-1-2
Use props
ygor
lvl.4
Brazil

I think the big problem here is DJI not offering a solution for mapping those pixels out and requiring return of the drone. This could easily be solved with software, mapping the bad pixels out as many cameras allows us to do. For international users this is more of an issue as DJI local support in brazil doesn't even have parts for the Mavic 2 yet, and sending it to USA and back costs almost the same of buying an entire new drone due to the ridiculous and abusive import taxes in Brazil.

Also, if DJI allowed us to submit only the camera + gimbal assembly it would solve part of the issue, but I still think they should publish a tool to map out those pixels on DJI Assistant 2 anyways.
2019-1-2
Use props
Francis
Second Officer
Brazil

I did lots of tests and both drones show lots of white noise in low light situation. I almost tell you sure it is not due to dead pixels - If so,  both sensors (zoom and pro) are almost all dead. Maybe i have a different issue than you

2019-1-2
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Francis Posted at 1-2 05:49
I have same issue on both Mavic 2 zoom and pro. There are some people with same complaint. Every day one more complaint appear on web. So it is not a defective camera and dead pixels. there are a lots of white dots in  night shots videos and photos. It is impossible to be dead pixels.  This is a software or hardware flaw on those mavic 2 series. If DJI wold test one that drones into a dark room they will can notice and fix this flaw. I m from Brasil and cannot send my drones back. I wish to send them back because something like that is unacceptable.

Hi Francis, sorry to know you have the same issue, could you please provide us an original picture of the pixels for further analysis? Please upload to the Dropbox or Google Drive and then post the link here, thank you. Besides, could you please PM me the serial number of your drone?
2019-1-2
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

ygor Posted at 1-2 06:03
I think the big problem here is DJI not offering a solution for mapping those pixels out and requiring return of the drone. This could easily be solved with software, mapping the bad pixels out as many cameras allows us to do. For international users this is more of an issue as DJI local support in brazil doesn't even have parts for the Mavic 2 yet, and sending it to USA and back costs almost the same of buying an entire new drone due to the ridiculous and abusive import taxes in Brazil.

Also, if DJI allowed us to submit only the camera + gimbal assembly it would solve part of the issue, but I still think they should publish a tool to map out those pixels on DJI Assistant 2 anyways.

Hi ygor, we sincerely apologize for this situation, I'm afraid this issue cannot be solved by the software, it would be better to send in the drone to the official repair center in NA for further evaluation at your most convenience, thanks for your understanding.
2019-1-2
Use props
Francis
Second Officer
Brazil

https://drive.google.com/open?id ... dcQo0SMtm_NNRnc8K6w

Hello, thank you for your reply. Above you can see original zoom video. You should watch it on big screens so you  clear see that.

Thank you
2019-1-3
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Francis Posted at 1-3 15:08
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1IKPuBqHxvXRvOdcQo0SMtm_NNRnc8K6w

Hello, thank you for your reply. Above you can see original zoom video. You should watch it on big screens so you  clear see that.

Hi Francis, thanks for the original footage, yes, they are not the dead pixels but the noise, it is recommended to decrease the ISO value to 800 while shooting at night. Please adjust the shutter speed according to EV value. If EV value is too high, increase the shutter speed, if EV value is too low, decrease the shutter speed to have a try.
2019-1-4
Use props
Francis
Second Officer
Brazil

Hello, thnks for watching the video.  Yes, i know it is not dead pixels. But noise. I dont remember exactly, but this video was shot under 800 ISO limits. This video was made for test propose, intended to put those noise in evidence. I did shoot lots of videos with lots of setups. Some have more white noise, some have less white noise. But all do have white noise. Of course in nigh situation it is hard to use less than ISO 800.  And sometimes high ISO videos have less white dots than Low Iso videos, but  with underexposed image.

Indeed i ve never seen white noise before. White dots are killing all my night shots. They are unusable for me, because i shoot videos for TV.  Im not a beginner and i ve tried all settings i can manage, trying to avoid white noise in Zoom and 2PRO either. M2Pro has less white noise than zoom, but they are there, twinkling like stars in black sky.

Unfortunately, i don t have drive space to upload all videos, some are very long video. But i will upload a short night shot video that i did shoot with my Gopro 6. There are noises but they are not white noises, which cannot occur in that situation, because it is too visible. White dots in black areas are a very big problem to me.

Please, i bag you to show it to your engineers and techs so they would try to fix this issue. It is very serious for who works for broadcast TV and need a small pro drone like Mavic 2 Pro is stated for.  Now i cannot use them for night shots.
2019-1-4
Use props
Francis
Second Officer
Brazil

Here i m again

I have uploaded 2 videos i did shot in same place, at same evening time. Idid use ISO 800 on both cameras settings and 1/30 shutter speed, the lowest i can manage to decrease gain.. In the first one link, it is a Gopro 6 video, There are noises of course, but nothing like white noise. This is a usable video.

https://drive.google.com/open?id ... OXjmR85AlzD0LcvFps0

Now it is a Mavic 2 zoom video. It doesnt handle noise well and produce white dots on black areas. It is unusable to me

https://drive.google.com/open?id ... x--60vgMpoYHHaqa2NY

I did compare gopro with zoom video due to same size sensors. But even M2P 1" sensor videos have same problem handling noise in nigh shots. There are lots of white noise either.

Please, watch both videos at least on 40" monitor to notice how bad it is

Please, fix it

Thank you

2019-1-4
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Francis Posted at 1-4 07:40
Here i m again

I have uploaded 2 videos i did shot in same place, at same evening time. Idid use ISO 800 on both cameras settings and 1/30 shutter speed, the lowest i can manage to decrease gain.. In the first one link, it is a Gopro 6 video, There are noises of course, but nothing like white noise. This is a usable video.

Thanks for the clarification. I'll forward to our engineers for double check.
2019-1-4
Use props
Francis
Second Officer
Brazil

Thank you very much
2019-1-5
Use props
ygor
lvl.4
Brazil

DJI Mindy Posted at 1-2 23:13
Hi ygor, we sincerely apologize for this situation, I'm afraid this issue cannot be solved by the software, it would be better to send in the drone to the official repair center in NA for further evaluation at your most convenience, thanks for your understanding.

I will try to do that in March, but the lack of official DJI warranty support in Brazil is really concerning since most Brazilians buy their drones either in USA or Paraguay as local prices are really abusive.
2019-1-7
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

ygor Posted at 1-7 15:32
I will try to do that in March, but the lack of official DJI warranty support in Brazil is really concerning since most Brazilians buy their drones either in USA or Paraguay as local prices are really abusive.

I'm afraid the repair center in Brazil can only repair the drone from Brazil, we do not provide the global warranty at the moment and customers can obtain warranty service only at a designated DJI repair center in the region where he/she purchased the product, otherwise, the repair will need to be charged. We will keep improving our customer service, sorry for the inconvenience caused.
2019-1-7
Use props
fans52ada1a1
New

United States

I’m having the same issue, what was it?
2019-5-3
Use props
ygor
lvl.4
Brazil

fans52ada1a1 Posted at 5-3 22:48
I’m having the same issue, what was it?

It is a defect in the camera sensor and DJI refuses to fix it in Brazil (where they already sell this drone) because I bought it in the USA.
I even have DJI refresh and it is useless...
2019-5-4
Use props
Digital-Cj
lvl.1
Flight distance : 33350 ft
Russia

I've got a couple (they are close to each other). They are always white and they are visible on a dark background (and not very dark). How to recalibrate camera's matrix?
2019-5-29
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Digital-Cj Posted at 5-29 06:23
I've got a couple (they are close to each other). They are always white and they are visible on a dark background (and not very dark). How to recalibrate camera's matrix?

Just to verify, do the lens clean? If yes and the dots appear in every picture and video, you may start a case and send it in for diagnosis: https://www.dji.com/support
2019-5-30
Use props
akozc
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2019951 ft
Macao

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-12-12 00:15

Dear DJI Susan ,
This an open customer complain  letter to DJI Support,
I am also one of the DJI  M2P user , suffering of the same issue.
Using my care fresh quota ,I replaced my original M2P, just 3 weeks ago (early July 2019)  in Hong Kong Flagship  store ,where I also purchased  my original M2P last year in October.
My replacement  unit immediately showed number of tiny dead pixels during the first maiden flight in the night.
I have no choice , travelled back to Hong Kong again on 27th July 2019 and replaced the faulty one with the brand new one.
DJI staff was extremely helpful and I was very satisfied  by getting a brand new M2P.
Crossing all my fingers on the way back to home and done the first test in  dark room , believe or not , this replacement unit has also dead pixel even bigger and more visible than the earlier one.
Dead pixel is only visible on the videos and setting on 4K FOV and 2K,1K low frame rates( <30FPS),  however the dead pixel disappears on 4KHQ.
So far what I done :
Reset the camera settings
Re install the firmware to latest version
even clean but re clean the camera lens

But neither of the actions helped to resolve my problem. I am now totally lost my trust to DJI's quality control.

Yes, service is great,
Yes, they help to replace the unit immediately ,
but replacement units are still sufferings exactly same issue.
Btw,  I would like also emphasize,  my original M2P, which I purchased in October 2018, didn't show any such problem.
So my guess is , all the replacement units having same quality issues.

Yesterday (27th July 2019) DJI Hong Kong Flagship store told me that  if this replacement shows any  fault ,it can be replaced with brand new within 7 days.
I will have to go again Hong Kong for the third replacement  but 100% possibility what ever be replaced it will have again same problem or worse.
How the DJI technical team is dealing with the somehow globally and frequently  occurring quality issue?

Could you please advise what should I do now?
Keep continue to replace the faulty drones manufactured by DJI again and again and again or accept the low quality of DJI products, then divert myself to other competitors in the market, which does not having such issue.

Supporting evidence  can be shared upon request if my above justification is not clear.
Many thanks in advance for your kind support.  

2019-7-27
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

akozc Posted at 7-27 18:58
Dear DJI Susan ,
This an open customer complain  letter to DJI Support,
I am also one of the DJI  M2P user , suffering of the same issue.

Sorry to hear. Could you provide us with your previous case numbers? We'd like to check the exact status.
2019-7-29
Use props
akozc
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2019951 ft
Macao

DJI Susan Posted at 7-29 00:03
Sorry to hear. Could you provide us with your previous case numbers? We'd like to check the exact status.

Dear DJi Susan ,
Today , back to HK DJI Flagship Store and returned  my faulty  M2P.
Staff , as  always ,were very cooperative and helpful. they replaced the M2P with brand new one.
This time ,we jointly checked the camera before I left the store  and all was fine
sorry to bothering  you and thanks again for your reply.
2019-7-29
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

akozc Posted at 7-29 04:04
Dear DJi Susan ,
Today , back to HK DJI Flagship Store and returned  my faulty  M2P.
Staff , as  always ,were very cooperative and helpful. they replaced the M2P with brand new one.

Thanks for keeping us updated. Glad to hear all was fine. Wish you have a good time!
2019-7-29
Use props
NikVladi
lvl.2

Russia

DJI Mindy Posted at 2019-1-2 23:13

Why is this problem easily solved in cameras of other manufacturers using pixel mapping, but you can't do it? Is it the lack of a shutter? I think this problem can be solved if desired. Tell me how things are with this problem now for different models?
2021-7-26
Use props
Dym0
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2636768 ft
Poland

Dear DJI,
I have the same issue like other users. I still have warranty.
Should I send it to DJI service in Germany ?
I mean Phantom 4PRO v2.0
2021-8-20
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Sorry for the issue. May I know if the picture is exported from the drone? If so, please send the drone back to our repair center for service.
Please fill out the online repair request on our official web and send it back. Here is the link: https://repair.dji.com/repair/index
We will do our best to help this out.
2021-8-21
Use props
Dym0
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2636768 ft
Poland

Of course this is export photo from the drone.
It will be 3 warranty complain.
DJI service will be should send to me new drone, not refresburdned
I walready recived CAS number.
Please DJI. Do SOMETHING!!
2021-8-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules