OSMO POCKET vs GOPRO 7 BLACK - No Comparison!
12Next >
10734 67 2018-12-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Soam
lvl.4
Flight distance : 661627 ft
  • >>>
India

I find a lot of people comparing Osmo Pocket with Gopro, which I think is not useful. Both are in my opinion completely different products.
Here are my views -

2018-12-6
Use props
DanielVieira
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4633533 ft
  • >>>
Portugal

In low light GoPro fails to make the footage stable....
2018-12-7
Use props
Soam
lvl.4
Flight distance : 661627 ft
  • >>>
India

DanielVieira Posted at 12-7 03:58

True.
Kind of useless in night.

Osmo Pocket will do the job.
I just wish, DJI had given at least 1 inch sensor
2018-12-7
Use props
DanielVieira
Second Officer
  • >>>
Portugal

Soam Posted at 12-7 03:59
True.

Maybe next year with the Osmo Pocket Pro
2018-12-7
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nice (none) comparison
2018-12-7
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Soam Posted at 12-7 03:59
True.

Hahahahaha.
We were all hoping for that I guess.
2018-12-7
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi there, Soam. Thank you for sharing your feedback and review to our new Osmo Pocket. If there is any help needed, please don't hesitate to reach us back. Thank you.
2018-12-10
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2018-12-11
Use props
RichardW
lvl.1

Canada

Thanks for this - good points.
2018-12-11
Use props
Luca Rubino
Second Officer
Flight distance : 711512 ft
  • >>>
Italy

I totally agree. They could be good companion. GoPro is an action cam, so wide angle, whatever you want proof. OP is a replacement of a smartphone with gimbal. Same angel of view, panorama mode, tracking object, big screen (if used with smartphone), not whatever you want proof, and cheaper.
2018-12-12
Use props
depicus
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18281 ft
United Kingdom

I'm going to be using the Osmo Pocket as an action cam and got it instead of the GoPro (or rather I was planning a Yi 4k+ and Feiyu Tech G6) as 70% of what the GoPro can do the Pocket seems to be able to do but slightly better. There are very few times the GoPro would be any better, running or riding in the rain I'll stick with the GoPro but otherwise I'm happy with the Pocket. And as an added bonus panoramic photos, raw images, flat video profiles to shoot log I hear are coming and tracking.

Remember the GoPro's stabilisation goes to pot in low light and the image quality is awful. GoPro's have amazing marketing departments and huge budgets to film those "made on a GoPro" but I don't have the luxury of a crew with full lighting rig every time I go out ;)
2018-12-12
Use props
Andrew Moura
lvl.2

Canada

depicus Posted at 12-12 05:33
I'm going to be using the Osmo Pocket as an action cam and got it instead of the GoPro (or rather I was planning a Yi 4k+ and Feiyu Tech G6) as 70% of what the GoPro can do the Pocket seems to be able to do but slightly better. There are very few times the GoPro would be any better, running or riding in the rain I'll stick with the GoPro but otherwise I'm happy with the Pocket. And as an added bonus panoramic photos, raw images, flat video profiles to shoot log I hear are coming and tracking.

Remember the GoPro's stabilisation goes to pot in low light and the image quality is awful. GoPro's have amazing marketing departments and huge budgets to film those "made on a GoPro" but I don't have the luxury of a crew with full lighting rig every time I go out ;)

They are completely different use cases.

OP-great for family stuff, vacations, light action use.  With firmware updates and audio dongle, would work great for social media

GoPro-Action camera first and foremost- with a steady hand or gimbal can easily be used for everything else and durable as hell.

I dont get your knock on image quality and a need for a film crew.  Both are poor for photos, that is what a proper camera is for.  Same with low light, both bad - sensors are tiny. So you would get more stable crappy footage on the OP? You don't need a film crew or even editing to make a great video with a GoPro or any type of pocket camera - they just all suck in low light and image quality is all poor anyways, they all have the same small sensor.

Don't do any action sports=OP hands down.  Honestly is an amazing little thing.
Action sports= GoPro
Need to do both = buy both if you want the best of both worlds. if not I would lean to the GoPro still just because of durability and longevity with removable batteries.  Because really the OP was a huge leap, in a year or 2 both will likely be way behind as a general use camera, but the GoPro would still be great as an action camera and would still be operating the same, where as the OP will likely have reduced battery life and the gimbal performance might be diminished.

I would not use it as an action camera.  Honestly I have gone through several bigger and more robust gimbals just from mountain biking.  A gimbal this small with tiny motors is bound to fail in an action sport setting.  You can already see jumps/stutters in some review footage because of this - you see it on cheaper gimbals as well.  Fine for walking and buttery smooth pans-but action cam stuff - IES is actually better.  I use to use a WG2 with my hero6 but after a few of them i gave up, hero7 = no issues.

I hope Gen2 adds some stuff - removable battery, water resistant, bigger sensor.  I think it can get away with being slightly bigger if the image quality was better with the bigger sensor
2018-12-12
Use props
depicus
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Andrew Moura Posted at 12-12 07:04
They are completely different use cases.

OP-great for family stuff, vacations, light action use.  With firmware updates and audio dongle, would work great for social media

I think what you meant is you think they are completely different use cases, I'll carry on using it for my action sports.
2018-12-12
Use props
h00pla85
lvl.2

Canada

depicus Posted at 12-12 10:29
I think what you meant is you think they are completely different use cases, I'll carry on using it for my action sports.

Not sure why you think they are geared towards the same use/market  

An action camera with a built-in battery (why the silver and white are a joke), not water resistant, inherent durability/long term use due to the gimbal, and narrow field of view - yeah that doesnt scream action camera

I hope the gimbal does not fail you for action sports.  I owned several mountable gimbals for my hero6 and they all failed after awhile. The hero7 is amazing in these scenarios and why EIS is actually better for these types of shots unless you have a budget to constantly buy new gimbals.  The mechanics of a gimbal are simply not meant for that type of constant abuse of bumps and vibration, especially when you get to such a small form factor.
2018-12-12
Use props
depicus
lvl.4
United Kingdom

h00pla85 Posted at 12-12 12:33
Not sure why you think they are geared towards the same use/market  

An action camera with a built-in battery (why the silver and white are a joke), not water resistant, inherent durability/long term use due to the gimbal, and narrow field of view - yeah that doesnt scream action camera

EIS is NEVER going to be better than a gimbal, ever. Maybe you weren't balancing you gimbal properly, a problem the Osmo Pocket won't have as it's already perfectly balanced.
2018-12-13
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

El Diablo Posted at 12-11 04:50
Another "armchair expert review...". How about trying the f**g thing before click baiting people into your s**y channel???

... actually your title says it all: OSMO POCKET vs GOPRO 7 BLACK - No Comparison! lol nice try...

I actually agree with this.
I like to see 'actual' videos with real use case scenarios, rather then speculation and 'my thoughts' videos.
Not knocking the video creator, just my opinion...….
2018-12-13
Use props
h00pla85
lvl.2

Canada

depicus Posted at 12-13 01:29
EIS is NEVER going to be better than a gimbal, ever. Maybe you weren't balancing you gimbal properly, a problem the Osmo Pocket won't have as it's already perfectly balanced.

I never said in the sense of the footage it takes when both are working 100%.  I am talking about with action sports and taking into account durability and actually being able to use it because it constantly fails.

I have gone through several WG2 and other mountable gimbals.  They all eventually fail when used for action sports.  Sure if I had a huge budget for constantly buying gimbals than that is the way to go.  But the EIS at this point takes great footage without a gimbal.  EIS is better than 6-7 broken gimbals.  I have gone on long weekend trips where the gimbal craps out on the first day, basically ruining any chance of getting action shots when i had my Hero6.

Even if the gimbal doesnt die, some of the time they can't keep up with the movements anyways, and your left with shaky or jumping video that is actually worse than EIS (and the smaller the motor, the worse it is).  I am still waiting on reviews that show action footage- because even during walking tests there is jumping in the videos without the follow me mode being on.

It is good to see they fixed the audio issue.  They still have auto focus issues to figure out as well.  They added 1080 120fps but it crops an already narrow field of view to be nearly unusable (based on a review I saw, not 100% sure if this is the case).  And to adjust any manual settings you need to have a phone with you plus a dongle - yeah all this screams action cam.  Don't forget to bring a water proof case, accessory mount, a power bank, and usb cable just to get a few hours of video (but you need to take a long break in between to wait for it to charge).

Listen if you want to argue that it makes a better general use camera - you would win.  But to argue it somehow is comparable as an action camera is complete non sense.  
2018-12-13
Use props
depicus
lvl.4
United Kingdom

h00pla85 Posted at 12-13 09:48
I never said in the sense of the footage it takes when both are working 100%.  I am talking about with action sports and taking into account durability and actually being able to use it because it constantly fails.

I have gone through several WG2 and other mountable gimbals.  They all eventually fail when used for action sports.  Sure if I had a huge budget for constantly buying gimbals than that is the way to go.  But the EIS at this point takes great footage without a gimbal.  EIS is better than 6-7 broken gimbals.  I have gone on long weekend trips where the gimbal craps out on the first day, basically ruining any chance of getting action shots when i had my Hero6.

Again you've confused your opinion with what's happening in the real world.

But if it makes you feel any better I promise I won't use it for when I go running or attached to my chest mount or helmet when mountain biking, or when I do canicross or bikejoring (now that is dangerous) or when I hike in the woods or climb mountains or when the waterproof case comes out wild swim off the south coast or attached to the front of my road bike when doing sportives or when I run the Reading Ultra or again with the waterproof case SUP (badly) - I promise I'll just use it like a regular normal not sporty camera just for you.
2018-12-13
Use props
h00pla85
lvl.2

Canada

depicus Posted at 12-13 16:45

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6EbpwzgP_w

Is that a joke?

A short snowboarding clip (which is easy to shoot) in which it's half stationary shots and the rest is a slow, simple follow... All that video proves is that it has major focusing issues and the follow me has jumpy movements. At the 2min mark a very poor pan because the gimbal likely could not compensate for the wind(you can hand held a non stabilized camera better than that) ... it also had swaying despite minimal movement which is common on cheap or underpowered gimbal.
The more movement, the more compensation needed, the more power needed. It's the reason even something like the wg2 or evo SS struggle keeping the horizon with speed and turning due to the g force

The thing is you haven't done any of that with this camera over a period of months, so you are merely guessing at this point and giving your opinion.  
2018-12-13
Use props
depicus
lvl.4
United Kingdom

h00pla85 Posted at 12-13 20:14
Is that a joke?

A short snowboarding clip (which is easy to shoot) in which it's half stationary shots and the rest is a slow, simple follow... All that video proves is that it has major focusing issues and the follow me has jumpy movements. At the 2min mark a very poor pan because the gimbal likely could not compensate for the wind(you can hand held a non stabilized camera better than that) ... it also had swaying despite minimal movement which is common on cheap or underpowered gimbal.

And you're an expert who has trialled the product so know so much about it. Thanks for taking time out of what must be your busy schedule of product testing to five us your opinion, sorry facts.
2018-12-14
Use props
h00pla85
lvl.2

Canada

And you haven't either tested it either.  

This thing is mainly made for general use, taking it on vacation, Vlogs.  Why is that so hard for you to see?  Sure it could be used for the occasional action stuff.  But you said you bought it as an ACTION CAMERA, in which it truly isn't made for.

Dont believe me, look at people that tested it

"All in all, each product seems to have its own specific purpose. If you’re planning to shoot a lot of action sports and/or need a camera that can take a brutal beating, HERO7 is without a doubt the best fit for you. For more easy-going shooters, the Osmo Pocket is a similarly priced yet equally well-performing alternative that could hardly be beaten when it comes to built-in image stabilization especially when you can consider its small and lightweight form factor."

"Honestly, even though DJI would like you to believe that this is a GoPro killer, I think these two cameras are each in their own unique category. The GoPro Hero 7 Black Edition will be great for getting intense action shots just like you see in those GoPro advertising videos. For everyday videos, vlogs, travel, cinematic short films, that’s where I think the Osmo Pocket will be better. If I had to choose one as my only camera, I think I would go with the Osmo Pocket, then get the GoPro later on."

"There’s also the question of suitability for the task in hand. There’s an argument that the GoPro is ideal for intense action shots – something that their cameras have become well known for over the years. But the Osmo Pocket looks a better shot for vloggers and general day-to-day users."

watch this at 9:15

"Ultimately, which will be better for you will depend on your own needs, but if image quality and stability is your absolute concern, then you probably want the DJI Osmo Pocket. If you’re going to be doing extreme sports or are planning to take it underwater regularly, then the GoPro Hero 7 Black will probably be the better option."

This isn't even taking in the issues with all the accessories you need to bring with you.  So for going out for the day you need.

- Accessory mount
- Your phone to change settings
- phone dongle because there is not Bluetooth or Wifi
- A waterproof case - which with it on you will get no audio
- a power bank instead of a tiny little GoPro battery
- extra USB cable

Oh and if you shoot for over 2 hours - you can no longer film anything because IT HAS A BUILT-IN BATTERY.  Great for those long all day snowboarding trips.  Need to change settings - take it out of the waterproof case, grab your phone dongle, attach your phone, change setting, put phone/dongle away, put case back on.  Yeah man you are the expert in thinking this is the best action camera around.

So like I said before - outside of action stuff - this thing is amazing.  I will likely wait for a Gen 2 or maybe a Pro version that has a bigger sensor (and hopefully have replaceable batteriers) so I dont need to bring around my mirrorless and the gimbal for it.  Right now it performs worse as an action camera compared to a Hero7 and neither the Osmo or Gopro are good in low light, so i am stuck bringing my mirrorless.

What kills me is you act like I am hating on this camera and I am not, I am just realistic on what this was made for, and what it's Pros are.  There is never going to be a single camera that does all things amazingly.  This thing is just not better as an action camera, period.  Everything else? it is better.  I've already recommended this to several friends and family who have no need for action sports, and this really is an amazing device
2018-12-14
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

h00pla85 Posted at 12-14 04:06

This thing is mainly made for general use, taking it on vacation, Vlogs.  Why is that so hard for you to see?  Sure it could be used for the occasional action stuff.  But you said you bought it as an ACTION CAMERA, in which it truly isn't made for.

100% agree with your last paragraph.
There is no comparison between the Hero 7 and theOSMO Pocket - sure, you can compare video quality etc if you like, but both camneras serve a different purpose.
Ideally, you'd have both. Both compliment each other nicely!
2018-12-14
Use props
CineView Media
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5365522 ft
  • >>>
Norway

depicus Posted at 12-13 16:45

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6EbpwzgP_w

I recognize the same AF issues in your video as im experiencing, not good.
2018-12-14
Use props
depicus
lvl.4
United Kingdom

h00pla85 Posted at 12-14 04:06

This thing is mainly made for general use, taking it on vacation, Vlogs.  Why is that so hard for you to see?  Sure it could be used for the occasional action stuff.  But you said you bought it as an ACTION CAMERA, in which it truly isn't made for.

No you're right I haven't tested it, mine had to go back as it wouldn't activate.

You seem to want to convince yourself that the Osmo Pocket cannot do 90% of what a GoPro can and nothing I'm going to say is likely to change your mind. That's fine but it won't stop me taking it on my next activity.
2018-12-14
Use props
h00pla85
lvl.2

Canada

depicus Posted at 12-14 10:39
No you're right I haven't tested it, mine had to go back as it wouldn't activate.

You seem to want to convince yourself that the Osmo Pocket cannot do 90% of what a GoPro can and nothing I'm going to say is likely to change your mind. That's fine but it won't stop me taking it on my next activity.

YOU said you bought it as an action camera.  I commented on how it isn't really an action camera replacement and that the two cameras serve 2 different use cases.   If you were getting it JUST for ACTION use you would be better off getting a GoPro.  I even said the Osmo is fine with light action use and great for everything else.

You said "I think what you meant is you think they are completely different use cases"

The reviews i posted and even other comments in this thread even agree they are meant for different use cases, and the GoPro is still king of action video.  You are the one that wants to convince yourself you bought an action camera.

We are comparing them as ACTION CAMERAS.  If it can only do 90% (BS number BTW) of what a GoPro can, is it not worse for ACTION then?  

It has a built-in battery FFS, no one in there right mind would want that for a weekend of dirt biking.  What are you going to keep a heavy power bank in your pocket the entire time and have it constantly plugged in?  So what's the point of it being small if you need to bring all this extra ... with you?  This doesnt even factor in any accidents where you may fall or knock into a rock.  You think the Pocket would hold up?  If you go out for the day, you bring your waterproof case with you in case it rains?  If you don't - no filming for you.  You have it on, no audio.  Need to change some settings, better bring your phone and a dongle, even more ... to bring.  Do you not understand how many things are working against it for an Action setting?

This is even giving you the benefit of the doubt that the gimbal will hold up over time.  Which in my experience would likely not last past 6 months with extensive use.
2018-12-14
Use props
depicus
lvl.4
United Kingdom

h00pla85 Posted at 12-14 11:19
YOU said you bought it as an action camera.  I commented on how it isn't really an action camera replacement and that the two cameras serve 2 different use cases.   If you were getting it JUST for ACTION use you would be better off getting a GoPro.  I even said the Osmo is fine with light action use and great for everything else.

You said "I think what you meant is you think they are completely different use cases"

Yes and I'll use it as an action cam - I do sports that require physical exertion so even on a marathon I'd never film for more than 20 mins of footage and carrying a lipstick charger or two isn't an issue (I often do on longer runs) if you're filming 6 hours of you riding a dirt bike then yes swap your batteries out and have fun but I doubt anybody is really going to be interested in watching your videos, I've posted a few 1 hour plus videos on my road bike and still waiting for a single view....

You're arguing that the Pocket cannot do things which is clearly can, you cannot comment on the gimbal reliability because there are no long term tests on a gimbal like this so saying it's going to break is impossible to say.

All of your arguments are problems YOU think exist and if that's the case then YOU won't use it as an action camera but clearly other people will despite what you say. I'll use it in 80% of the situations I'd normally use my Hero or Session because for me it should be as good or better than the GoPro and I suspect I won't be the only person.
2018-12-15
Use props
BrianKushner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41420253 ft
  • >>>
United States

DanielVieira Posted at 12-7 04:03
Maybe next year with the Osmo Pocket Pro

Ha yes...coming in February after everyone buys this.
2018-12-15
Use props
h00pla85
lvl.2

Canada

depicus Posted at 12-15 12:18
Yes and I'll use it as an action cam - I do sports that require physical exertion so even on a marathon I'd never film for more than 20 mins of footage and carrying a lipstick charger or two isn't an issue (I often do on longer runs) if you're filming 6 hours of you riding a dirt bike then yes swap your batteries out and have fun but I doubt anybody is really going to be interested in watching your videos, I've posted a few 1 hour plus videos on my road bike and still waiting for a single view....

You're arguing that the Pocket cannot do things which is clearly can, you cannot comment on the gimbal reliability because there are no long term tests on a gimbal like this so saying it's going to break is impossible to say.

What does physical exertion have to do with the amount of time someone can film?  I just got back from doing the Salkantay trek in Peru, trust me it's hard, and i got more than 2 hours of video, as well as the rest of my group, because most cameras have replaceable batteries for a reason.

And who says because you take 6 hours of video that you need to make people watch 6 hours?  Its called editing.... The more video the better.

I am arguing things that it CLEARLY CANT

-Can you replace the battery? NO
-Can you hear audio when it is waterproof/protected?NO
-Do gimbals react well to extensive bumps and vibrations?NO
-Is it convenient that you need a powerbank, USB cable, Phone, Phone dongle, and Waterproof case just in case it rains and want to change some settings? NO

I actually can comment on the gimbals durability.  The video you posted clearly shows it can't even stabilize with minimal movement, my first gimbal had this issue and lasted a week being mounted.  The wind caused jumping on a simple pan FFS, WTF do you think would happen during action sports.  Why do you think it has such a big crop on 120FPS?  because it uses EIS because the gimbal is so underpowered (no shock because it is so tiny).  

Again, you are very confused on what we are debating.  These cameras CLEARLY have different use cases (see reviews, comparisons, other posts in this thread).  Can you use a GoPro to film a birthday party? Yeah of course.  but its NOT ITS USE CASE and there are better options.

2018-12-15
Use props
depicus
lvl.4
United Kingdom

h00pla85 Posted at 12-15 14:57
What does physical exertion have to do with the amount of time someone can film?  I just got back from doing the Salkantay trek in Peru, trust me it's hard, and i got more than 2 hours of video, as well as the rest of my group, because most cameras have replaceable batteries for a reason.

And who says because you take 6 hours of video that you need to make people watch 6 hours?  Its called editing.... The more video the better.

So you cannot replace the battery so what, you can charge IF you need the extra time, doesn't stop it being a good action camera. You're nit picking things you don't like rather than the cameras ability to shoot good action shots which it can do. Remember this camera has been out for a few days and the new firmware with improved focus came out two days ago.

No what you saw was beta software and one persons edit, just because you cannot balance a gimbal properly doesn't mean gimbals per se cannot last more than a week and cannot work in the most hostile of environments - from the video above I'd take the Pocket over the GoPro when he's out skating any day of the week. I still need to use my GoPro when it rains hence the 80% but the audio is going to be rubbish on both. My Hero sounds awful once in the mounting case and I'm sure the Pocket will be just as bad.

You seriously don't need to carry any of the things you mention, you're again trying to justify your own bias, I'll happily pop it into my running vest for action shots without any of the stuff you mention unless I was doing an ultra - I didn't need a spare battery or cables for my GoPro last race (6+ hours)

It clearly doesn't fit your sports action needs and that's fine, use your GoPro but it will never stop the Pocket from being able to do 80% of what the GoPro can do.
2018-12-15
Use props
h00pla85
lvl.2

Canada

depicus Posted at 12-15 15:27
So you cannot replace the battery so what, you can charge IF you need the extra time, doesn't stop it being a good action camera. You're nit picking things you don't like rather than the cameras ability to shoot good action shots which it can do. Remember this camera has been out for a few days and the new firmware with improved focus came out two days ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6aI1HSaBpA

Again, now you need a power bank and wait for it to charge.  Does that make it completely useless as an action camera? No, of course not.  But no one would prefer waiting to charge or having to bring all this extra stuff just to make it on par with other action cameras.  

The first video showed a bunch of issues with how it handles movement and wind, not to mention brutal focusing issues.  Now this second video is much better, but the guy is on roller blades.  That isn't an action shot.  If it has trouble stabilization a stationary slow pan (first video) how do you think it would handle mountain biking, car mount, etc.  The fact it needs EIS to stabilize and compensate for the minimal power the gimbal has should be concerning enough for you.

Yeah you are right, an engineer cannot balance a gimbal properly...  Go dirt biking on track for a weekend for several hours each day and see if the motors can still keep up.  This thing cant stabilize because of a gust of wind FFS

It would be like saying you wanted to buy a vehicle for only offroading, but instead of buying a JEEP (you stated you are using it as an action camera and that they dont have different use cases) but you decide to go buy a Ford Escape.  Sure you can bring it out, you will likely get stuck, your suspension would be destroyed, but you could still take it out.  But now you are changing the narrative and saying you will use it for running, or roller blading,etc.  and use the GoPro for rugged stuff (20% for you).   This just proves my point that you would still be using the GoPro, so how do you think the pocket is better for an ACTION ONLY setting, and think they have the same use case?  They clearly dont

Action= GoPro
Everything else = Pocket

Regarding sound - Are you seriously comparing having basically no audio from the pocket and still having decent audio from the gopro and just disregarding them all together because neither is good. Then you might as well throw out all of the Pockets advantages as well:

Low light - both suck and a smaller gap than the audio (water proofed)
Stabilization - Both not nearly as good as bigger more robust gimbals, seriously didn't realize how poor the pockets gimbal  was until you posted that snowboarding video,hopefully they can fix there EIS
Image quality - both poor compared to a full frame or mirrorless

Are you seriously saying you dont need all these things to use it as an action camera?  You can only change basic settings on the pocket - you need a phone dongle and phone to change everything else (and not all phones work btw).  If it might rain (or if there is a chance it might be dropped or hit up against something hard) you would want a case.  For running sure - change settings before and hopefully you are fine for rain.  Going on an action trip for the day or weekend - yeah that doesnt fly - need to change based on conditions.

For you, it might be perfect and that is great (see my first post, that it is great for daily stuff/trips and light action stuff, and you have a GoPro for the rest).   For me its not worth it, and most people that are looking at a single camera for an Action use case would look elsewhere.
2018-12-16
Use props
DanielVieira
Second Officer
  • >>>
Portugal

BrianKushner Posted at 12-15 12:59
Ha yes...coming in February after everyone buys this.

ahahah nice one...
2018-12-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

h00pla85 Posted at 12-16 06:50
Again, now you need a power bank and wait for it to charge.  Does that make it completely useless as an action camera? No, of course not.  But no one would prefer waiting to charge or having to bring all this extra stuff just to make it on par with other action cameras.  

The first video showed a bunch of issues with how it handles movement and wind, not to mention brutal focusing issues.  Now this second video is much better, but the guy is on roller blades.  That isn't an action shot.  If it has trouble stabilization a stationary slow pan (first video) how do you think it would handle mountain biking, car mount, etc.  The fact it needs EIS to stabilize and compensate for the minimal power the gimbal has should be concerning enough for you.

I don’t think there is a real big difference in audio quality between Go Pro and OP not from what I’ve seen and heard.
Can you Use the OP for action , of course you can, is it better than go pro, if in the right hands yes it will produce better results, if they are both in the right hands would go pro be the better camera No Cameras make files photographers/videographers make films Photos.
To many complaining about one thing or another, but certainly when I look on YT I see some really good footage from OP, so anything’s possible, blaming tools just shows photographers inadequacy to work them properly.

At the end of the day it doesn’t matter what you use if you can obtain great footage from whatever camera that says much more about the users than mine is bigger than yours.

Maybe just wait to see some members videos and photos, to see what can be achieved.
Good luck.

2018-12-16
Use props
Tallguysd
lvl.2
Flight distance : 145489 ft
United States

DanielVieira Posted at 12-7 03:58

Gopro software update 1.6.1 fixed the night shooting issues my Osmo at night looks just gross as it can stay focused on lights
2018-12-16
Use props
h00pla85
lvl.2

Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 12-16 16:36
I don’t think there is a real big difference in audio quality between Go Pro and OP not from what I’ve seen and heard.
Can you Use the OP for action , of course you can, is it better than go pro, if in the right hands yes it will produce better results, if they are both in the right hands would go pro be the better camera No Cameras make files photographers/videographers make films Photos.
To many complaining about one thing or another, but certainly when I look on YT I see some really good footage from OP, so anything’s possible, blaming tools just shows photographers inadequacy to work them properly.

Audio - Since the update, they are similar when the pocket is not waterproofed. When Pocket is waterproofed you can only expect it would be fairly poor, see other pocket cameras.

This is the point I am making... Can it make a better action video - sure.  But can it stand up durability wise? likely not for some action shots  (or be as small and compact and not need things like power bank, phone dongle, phone, waterproof case).  A broken camera can't take video.  I have a small mirrorless camera that blows both the OP and GoPro out of the water quality wise, and the G6 Plus is a better gimbal than the OP.  It is actually water resistant and I can mount it on my handlebars.  But I don't use it for action because it is not the best tool for the job.

You can go on YT and find amazing footage on any device.  Look at this video on the phone I have, V30

That is better than anything than I have every filmed and anything I have seen from an OP, so i guess a V30 is better.  Its water resistant and you can just get a pocket gimbal that is barely any bigger than the OP plus the accessories you need for a shoot.

I am not blaming tools,  I just use them for what they are best suited/intended for.  I often travel with my friend and his two brothers (one is a professional photographer, the other a videographer/graphic artist).  Guess what?  They have dozens of tools at their disposal because they fill different needs (and they bring more camera gear than I have total luggage).  What do they use for action sports, a GoPro. why?  Because it can take a beating and is the best camera for action/sport, PERIOD.  

I just got back from a wedding that the person doing video was using a GoPro (this is true, not making it up and didnt even have a gimbal on a hero6),  he could be the best videographer in the world, but no matter how good he is or how good the footage looks, it isn't the best tool for the job, and a nice YT video will not convince me otherwise.  

I will continually keep an eye out for footage that comes out, as i have seen 30-40 videos already and even went as far as to download un-edited video (2hours worth) to see what it is capable of.  I recommended this camera to dozens of people but have since then told them to wait to see if they can fix auto focusing issues, as this is a pretty big deal and there seems to be no work around as in changing FPS or resolution.

2018-12-17
Use props
depicus
lvl.4
United Kingdom

h00pla85 Posted at 12-16 06:50
Again, now you need a power bank and wait for it to charge.  Does that make it completely useless as an action camera? No, of course not.  But no one would prefer waiting to charge or having to bring all this extra stuff just to make it on par with other action cameras.  

The first video showed a bunch of issues with how it handles movement and wind, not to mention brutal focusing issues.  Now this second video is much better, but the guy is on roller blades.  That isn't an action shot.  If it has trouble stabilization a stationary slow pan (first video) how do you think it would handle mountain biking, car mount, etc.  The fact it needs EIS to stabilize and compensate for the minimal power the gimbal has should be concerning enough for you.

TLDR;

You seem to be a "can't" person and I'm a "can"
2018-12-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

h00pla85 Posted at 12-17 07:38
Audio - Since the update, they are similar when the pocket is not waterproofed. When Pocket is waterproofed you can only expect it would be fairly poor, see other pocket cameras.

This is the point I am making... Can it make a better action video - sure.  But can it stand up durability wise? likely not for some action shots  (or be as small and compact and not need things like power bank, phone dongle, phone, waterproof case).  A broken camera can't take video.  I have a small mirrorless camera that blows both the OP and GoPro out of the water quality wise, and the G6 Plus is a better gimbal than the OP.  It is actually water resistant and I can mount it on my handlebars.  But I don't use it for action because it is not the best tool for the job.

Not too sure what your problem is, I’m sure many will enjoy OP despite you, if you don’t like it don’t get it, maybe put up some of the footage you are comparing this to instead of waffling on about how bad it is, there is a whole lot of action out there that doesn’t require you jumping into water, you also won’t have to watch that terrible distortion that you get with go pro.
Let others make up their mind about how good/bad the OP is, the OP is basically a consumer camera I don’t think it’s pretending to be anything else, but some will get much more from it and others will learn from this, if there is a problem with AF pumping then I’m sure it will get sorted.
2018-12-17
Use props
h00pla85
lvl.2

Canada

depicus Posted at 12-17 08:14
TLDR;

You seem to be a "can't" person and I'm a "can"

Ill make it easy because apparently you take so long to read things.  If you cant read what I posted, i doubt you read anything on the technicals of any of the cameras or gimbals.

Case on -no audio (or so bad you cant use)
A broken camera - cant take video
Professionals have several cameras because 1 cant do everything, they dont use a prime lense and then zoom in digitally when editing - they just get a zoom lense
Not blaming tools - I just use the tools that work best for what I am doing.  ACTION=GoPro, A mirrorless can do action too, and take better video while doing it, doesnt mean you should because it wont last
2018-12-17
Use props
depicus
lvl.4
United Kingdom

h00pla85 Posted at 12-17 08:39
Ill make it easy because apparently you take so long to read things.  If you cant read what I posted, i doubt you read anything on the technicals of any of the cameras or gimbals.

Case on -no audio (or so bad you cant use)

Wrong
Wrong
And ?
Again all about what you do not what others are doing.....
2018-12-17
Use props
h00pla85
lvl.2

Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 12-17 08:34
Not too sure what your problem is, I’m sure many will enjoy OP despite you, if you don’t like it don’t get it, maybe put up some of the footage you are comparing this to instead of waffling on about how bad it is, there is a whole lot of action out there that doesn’t require you jumping into water, you also won’t have to watch that terrible distortion that you get with go pro.
Let others make up their mind about how good/bad the OP is, the OP is basically a consumer camera I don’t think it’s pretending to be anything else, but some will get much more from it and others will learn from this, if there is a problem with AF pumping then I’m sure it will get sorted.

This is a forum that the topic is a comparison between 2 cameras.  

I said you can;t compare them because they have two different use cases.  One is meant solely for action and it is the best for that.  The OP is better for everything else.

Where did I say it was not good,  I stated several times it was great at everything not action (even good for light action), because clearly it is not built for rugged stuff.  depicus  commented how he bought it strictly as an action camera (and listed some extreme stuff he is doing with it) and we are debating how well it would work in that setting.   

I posted several reviews that said the same thing, other posters said the same thing in this thread, and depicus for some reason thinks otherwise.

depicus posted a snowboarding video on action footage (because there isn't really any out there to compare)-  it is shaky, has jumpy footage, and autofocus issues.  It was his point on how the OP was good for action, and the 1st video clearly shows it isnt.  WTF is the issue about saying that?

I know what the OP is, a great, tiny camera for things like daily use, vlogs, social media, trips.   Some users think it is an ACTION CAMERA

2018-12-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

h00pla85 Posted at 12-17 10:52
This is a forum that the topic is a comparison between 2 cameras.  

I said you can;t compare them because they have two different use cases.  One is meant solely for action and it is the best for that.  The OP is better for everything else.

You keep going on about everything that will blow it out of the water, I’m not to sure why your so interested in the OP, or for that matter depicus, but I’ve heard enough, maybe footage will show what can be achieved from OP and if someone can use it for action who are we to tell him he can’t , it’s only out a few days, so very hard for any of us to say it won’t do this and it won’t do that , truth will most likely be it will shoot a lot better action than go pro in the hands of very creative people.

Regarding doing a wedding with a go pro, if the client is happy with that it’s his/hers prerogative, it’s always going to be compared to the likes of go pro7 and other cameras in its price bracket, but it will always be down to the user as to how creatively it can be used, I’m happy with that.
I’m out of this discussion because it’s going nowhere, so you have the last word.
2018-12-17
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules