App motion control improvement suggestions
613 2 2018-12-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Michael Perfect
lvl.2
Philippines

Hi,

For motion makers using the Ronin S for its creative motion control features, such as Track and Motionlapse, the following improvements would be much appreciated, especially since they seem to only require some coding improvements in the app, and no physical modifications on the gimbal.
As the possibilities are mechanically available, it is a shame to not have them simply because of software limitations, right ?

• in Track mode : if you want to do a continuous motion (0s stay time on each point), this feature is unusable without feathering at each point of the path : it is crucial to have bezier curves, not linear angles, for the camera to smoothly transition from one direction to the other, instead of changing direction abruptly like a robot. this feature is barely useable in a professional situation until you add a "smoothing" parameter at each point of the path, right ?
  • in Motionlapse mode : same issue : if the transitions between each point of the path are not smoothed out in form of a bezier curve, the shot is unusable : nobody wants to have a shot in which the framing keeps changing abruptly at every change of direction, right ? so you would need to give us a "smoothing" parameter with an adjustable value, for every point of the parcour, producing a bezier curve.
  • in Motionlapse mode : maybe this one is something I personally didn't understand, please correct me if I'm wrong; is it possible to do a 360° panorama in this mode, with the camera rotating completely all the way around and until it reaches its original point again ? it seems that because of the auto-positionning of the camera on the "grid" in the app, the camera will choose the shortest path, and simply come back to its start point from the same direction it came from, instead of continuing to go around.

Again, all of these (subtle yet fundemental) improvements are mechanically possible, so the fact that they would be limited by software over-lookings feels like non-negligible short-comings, preventing a certain amount of professionals from exploiting this professional gimbal to the fullest.

Please let me know if you agree or not

2018-12-7
Use props
Meierhans
lvl.2
Germany

While I don´t believe direction changes without smoothing are a huge problem in motionlapse (you can simply smooth this in post),
the missing beziers/smoothing is indeed a dealbreaker for filming. (It creates shakes & uneven motionblur that can not be fixed in post.)
So this function is simply not usable like its ment to be. For the company like DJI that is simply Nr. 1 when it comes to professional
gimbals for professional use this should be obvious.

As a workaround for now you can use it with very short shutter times (like 1/2000), so there will be no visible motion blur,
then apply Warp Stabilizer (or whatever stabilizer your NLE offers), then add artificial motion blur like RSMB.
This only works with a lot light, and your point must be in a row.

In the end the idea of buying a 850 € Gimbal (which will come to about 1500 TOC with all needed addons) is to avoid all this nasty stabilisation in post.

2018-12-8
Use props
Michael Perfect
lvl.2
Philippines

Meierhans Posted at 12-8 14:13
While I don´t believe direction changes without smoothing are a huge problem in motionlapse (you can simply smooth this in post),
the missing beziers/smoothing is indeed a dealbreaker for filming. (It creates shakes & uneven motionblur that can not be fixed in post.)
So this function is simply not usable like its ment to be. For the company like DJI that is simply Nr. 1 when it comes to professional

Agree with you Meierhans.
We need bezier curves options, not little abrupt straight lines! In track mode, yes, and motionlapse I would say it's needed as well, as smoothing abrupt camera angle changes in post, especially with a very wide lens, will take quite some work to fix, while it could have just been done properly in the first step (shooting). We can't really say this is such an advanced futuristic thing to program, I think I've seen bezier curves in 2 or 3 other programs over the past 20 years...

Please DJI, how to bring this capital needed improvement to your attention ?
2018-12-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules