Precision landing -- not working?
2172 15 2018-12-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mig39
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5037362 ft
Canada

I've updated my Mavic 2 Zoom, but can't seem to get precision landing to work.  On my Mavic Pro, there's an extra checkmark on the take off screen, but it doesn't show up on the Mavic 2 Zoom.

m2z-takeoff copy.jpg

I'm on the latest firmware and iOS version.  Running on iPad Pro.  

m2z-serials.jpg

I also looked in the settings to see if it was in there like on the Mavic Pro, but no luck.

m2z-settings copy.jpg

Landing is not precise, even when I let it hover for 30 seconds after taking off.  Even on tripod mode.  It misses by a long shot.

m2z-not-precision copy.jpg

Am I missing something?  Works great on the Mavic Pro -- same location, same weather conditions... literally minutes after this :-)

What do I have to do to enable precision landing on Mavic 2 Zoom?

2018-12-8
Use props
mig39
lvl.3
Canada

Here's what it looks like on my Mavic Pro.  Same iPad, same location, same app, minutes later.

And the settings show "Precision Landing" enabled on the Mavic Pro.

2018-12-8
Use props
EdM
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1491814 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you have upgraded to the latest firmware then you have it on the zoom.   It's always on, there is no switch to set.
2018-12-8
Use props
mig39
lvl.3
Canada

Does it indicate that it is doing precision landing?  I'm 10-15 feet off when landing.  It's clearly not working for me.

How about the settings, does it show up there?
2018-12-8
Use props
BumblerBee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 639764 ft
Norway

I don't think any Mavic 2 has precision landing. It will land within the GPS error margin (i.e. worst case 10 meters from the take off point). DJI promised to re-introduce this feature in MP2 series later.
This is a serious limitation in case of emergency.
I am still flying Mavic Pro. And today's flight had similar conditions to yours - 1/2 a meter of soft snow all around the landing pad. I was confident that should something happen, MP would return to the centre of the landing pad and would not dive into the snow.
2018-12-8
Use props
Sato Zoom 2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3172890 ft
United States

No check box. It's automatic.....

2018-12-8
Use props
Sato Zoom 2
lvl.4
United States

The part about ascending to 7m is not "automatic" of course but you don't have to check a box to make it work........
2018-12-8
Use props
mig39
lvl.3
Canada

Ok, definitely something going wrong with mine.

It hovers at 1.2 metres, not 7 metres like the manual says.

And when it lands, it's 10-20 feet away from the take off point (which is an orange landing pad).
2018-12-8
Use props
Sato Zoom 2
lvl.4
United States

mig39 Posted at 12-8 13:50
Ok, definitely something going wrong with mine.

It hovers at 1.2 metres, not 7 metres like the manual says.

Yeah after hover you need to ascend manually 7m before you fly off, that's the part that's not "automatic".........that should do it.  I've tried it numerous times with great success........
2018-12-8
Use props
mig39
lvl.3
Canada

Ah thanks, Sato Zoom 2 :-)

That did it!  Such a simple thing.  The automatic take off only hovers at 1.2 metres.  So I moved straight up to 7 metres, waited there for a few seconds, then flew around the park.

Then just pressed the RTH button on the controller, and it came back and landed perfectly, with precision.

For anyone who comes across this in the future -- that's the key.  Just hover at 7 metres for a few seconds, and it will remember the terrain.
2018-12-8
Use props
Sato Zoom 2
lvl.4
United States

mig39 Posted at 12-8 14:00

That did it!  Such a simple thing.  The automatic take off only hovers at 1.2 metres.  So I moved straight up to 7 metres, waited there for a few seconds, then flew around the park.

Cool !  I rarely use PL but it's fun watching this technology do amazing things. Mine has landed to within an inch of takeoff point, missed by only as much as about 4 inches and probably would have been better had it not been so windy that day......
2018-12-8
Use props
mig39
lvl.3
Canada

Sato Zoom 2 Posted at 12-8 14:08
Cool !  I rarely use PL but it's fun watching this technology do amazing things. Mine has landed to within an inch of takeoff point, missed by only as much as about 4 inches and probably would have been better had it not been so windy that day......

Yeah, I usually land manually.  But today I tried precision because I read that it had been added in the firmware update.

Thanks again!
2018-12-8
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sato Zoom 2 Posted at 12-8 13:52
Yeah after hover you need to ascend manually 7m before you fly off, that's the part that's not "automatic".........that should do it.  I've tried it numerous times with great success........

Great find, I do remember that on the MP/MPP if you wanted precision landing it will hover about 20ft above.
2018-12-8
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

That did it!  Such a simple thing.  The automatic take off only hovers at 1.2 metres.  So I moved straight up to 7 metres, waited there for a few seconds, then flew around the park.

Hi mig39, glad everything's working with your aircraft. Kindly reach us again if you have concerns. Thank you.
2018-12-10
Use props
EdM
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1491814 ft
  • >>>
United States

That did it!  Such a simple thing.  The automatic take off only hovers at 1.2 metres.  So I moved straight up to 7 metres, waited there for a few seconds, then flew around the park.

Or just take off slowly manually, climbing straight up,  and listen for the beep that occurs when it has recorded its precision point.
Rarely does it get to 7 meters before I here the beep.   
2018-12-10
Use props
mig39
lvl.3
Canada

Here's what I do to invoke precision landing:  take off using the app (slide to take off).  It will hover just at 1.2 metres.  Then I slowly fly up to 7 metres -- take about 2-3 seconds to go straight up to 7 metres.  Then I hover there for 3 seconds and then fly away :-)

I usually land manually anyway, but this is a nice option to have.
2018-12-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules