FAA Drone Registration - As a non US-Citizen
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DWade9
lvl.2
Germany

I'm from Europe and currently trying to register my drone on the FAA website as I'll be on holidays in the US in a few weeks and wanted to bring my drone. I am using it as a hobby and not for commercial purposes.  
When trying to enter my phone number, I receive the following message: Invalid Phone Number. Probably because it is not in the US format.

Anyone had the same problem and knows what to do in this case?

2018-12-8
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

I believe you can register when you are are on US soil.
2018-12-8
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Please scroll about two thirds and then see point #7 under the Registration heading here:  https://www.faa.gov/uas/faqs/

Let us know how it goes.

Good luck

2018-12-8
Use props
DWade9
lvl.2
Germany

ALABAMA Posted at 12-8 15:33
I believe you can register when you are are on US soil.

that doesn't change the fact that I have an international phone number though?
2018-12-8
Use props
DWade9
lvl.2
Germany

Mark The Droner Posted at 12-8 15:35
Please scroll about two thirds and then see point #7 under the Registration heading here:  https://www.faa.gov/uas/faqs/

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks a lot for this!

This is probably the paragraph you're referring to:

I'm a foreign national and want to fly my UAS in the U.S. on vacation. Do I have to register before flying?
If you are a foreign national and you are not eligible to register your sUAS in the United States there are two ways for you to operate. If you want to operate your UAS exclusively in accordance with the Special Rule for Model Aircraft, you may complete the process provided in the web-based registration portal for section 336 aircraft. The agency will consider the certificate that is issued to be a recognition of ownership rather than a certificate of U.S. aircraft registration. These conditions are consistent with and impose no greater burden than the requirements imposed on U.S. citizens conducting model aircraft operations in the U.S.

What I don't understand is it says: there are two ways for you to operate but then only states one right?

I tried registering for the section 336 aircraft but it's the same problem with the international phone number...
2018-12-8
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

Why was my post deleted? All i said was "you should contact the FAA" good grief Charlie Brown
2018-12-8
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

DWade9 Posted at 12-8 16:14
Thanks a lot for this!

This is probably the paragraph you're referring to:

I think you need to read the second paragraph in the link to see the second way to register.  It doesn't apply to you as a hobbyist.  

Also I think Alabama's post above mine might be correct in that the FAA has changed the way foreigners can register - and they changed it relatively recently meaning maybe you need a US phone number to register which means maybe you need to be here in the US to complete registration.  I think this is different than it used to be as I don't recall seeing this info in the past.  And I think FAA hasn't yet changed their FAQ info for this point.  Welcome to the USA!

2018-12-8
Use props
DWade9
lvl.2
Germany

rolling56 Posted at 12-8 17:04
Why was my post deleted? All i said was "you should contact the FAA" good grief Charlie Brown

I think that was in another thread which I created in the Mavic Forum, and I think the whole thread was deleted lol

Thanks either way!
2018-12-8
Use props
DWade9
lvl.2
Germany

Mark The Droner Posted at 12-8 17:44
I think you need to read the second paragraph in the link to see the second way to register.  It doesn't apply to you as a hobbyist.  

Also I think Alabama's post above mine might be correct in that the FAA has changed the way foreigners can register - and they changed it relatively recently meaning maybe you need a US phone number to register which means maybe you need to be here in the US to complete registration.  I think this is different than it used to be as I don't recall seeing this info in the past.  And I think FAA hasn't yet changed their FAQ info for this point.  Welcome to the USA!

hmm okay that could be the case...

how long will it take to register though? will I get my confirmation right away or do I have to wait?

On another topic, are you using the Airmap app to get approvals when flying in the US? I just found out about the app when looking for how to fly safely in the US
2018-12-8
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

DWade9 Posted at 12-8 20:12
hmm okay that could be the case...

how long will it take to register though? will I get my confirmation right away or do I have to wait?

IIRC, it only takes a min or two and then you can print out the registration card and you must also adhere the number to your drone - the battery compartment is a popular place.  Yes, I do use airmap - and sometimes I look at a sectional chart.  Re sectionals, I like vfrmap because you can toggle between the sectional and a regular road map.  

Remember - no flying in National Parks and other scenic federal land such as the Blue Ridge Pkwy, etc.  State Parks - it depends on the state.  

Good luck.  

2018-12-9
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

rolling56 Posted at 12-8 17:04

It was probably those shades.  You look a little suspicious to me too...
2018-12-9
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for your inquiry. Hope you'll get the best explanation in regards to this query from our valued customers who have drones that are registered with FAA. Thank you for continued support.
2018-12-9
Use props
DWade9
lvl.2
Germany

Mark The Droner Posted at 12-9 03:30
IIRC, it only takes a min or two and then you can print out the registration card and you must also adhere the number to your drone - the battery compartment is a popular place.  Yes, I do use airmap - and sometimes I look at a sectional chart.  Re sectionals, I like vfrmap because you can toggle between the sectional and a regular road map.  

Remember - no flying in National Parks and other scenic federal land such as the Blue Ridge Pkwy, etc.  State Parks - it depends on the state.  

okay sounds good!

yeah I read about the National Parks! not planning to fly in any
2018-12-9
Use props
DWade9
lvl.2
Germany

anyone that can help out on this?
2018-12-10
Use props
jocela12
New
Canada

Hi,

I am not a U.S. citizen and plan to bring my drone for visiting the U.S.A and flying my drone for hobby/recreation only.

I am trying to register my drone on the FAA website at https://faadronezone.faa.gov/#/ and I click The Exception for Recreational Flyers Register button.

I have completed the online form but before to pay the $5 fee to register, I must agree with many conditions and the last one is pass an aeronautical knowledge and safety test.

Is it correct? Do I have to agree to pass an aeronautical knowledge and safety test?

(im canadian citizen with the Canada Basic Certificate only)

Regards
2019-6-18
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

jocela12 Posted at 6-18 18:23
Hi,

I am not a U.S. citizen and plan to bring my drone for visiting the U.S.A and flying my drone for hobby/recreation only.

Is it correct? Do I have to agree to pass an aeronautical knowledge and safety test?
Not until they get their act together and bring it in.
At the moment there is no aeronautical knowledge test.
2019-6-18
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

rolling56 Posted at 2018-12-8 17:04

Maybe you forgot to post it.
2019-6-18
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

What Labroides said.  Supposedly it will become available between now and mid November.  
2019-6-19
Use props
BobB
First Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

AntDX316 Posted at 6-18 20:24
Maybe you forgot to post it.

I think it was a different thread. There was 2 similar at the same time. Anyway I think he found his answer by now.
2019-6-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules