Battery in the Osmo Pocket
12Next >
26447 44 2018-12-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
darrins
lvl.4
United States

I read a post about the battery here saying it isnt the common lithium battery we see in other electronics. I tried to find that thread but didn’t. My question is, should we care for the battery in any special way? Like with most new devices, like my iPhone and the DJI Osmo 2, I just plug them in after use, never worry about letting them run down completely before charging, etc. Do you know if the same goes for the battery in the Osmo Pocket?
2018-12-8
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi Darrins, thank you for bringing this query to us. For battery care, it is highly recommended to monitor the charging process and disconnect the product when fully charged. Discharge the battery to 40% - 65% if it will NOT be used for 10 days or more. In this way, the battery life is greatly extended. Discharge and charge the battery completely once every three months to keep it in good condition. You may also read the Safety Guidelines for more information. Kindly reach us again if you have concerns. Thank you.
2018-12-9
Use props
k9kids
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4951 ft
United States

Along the lines of battery care, any issues with me using an external battery to top off the OP when I’m away from home.

Will the OP accept any of the USB-C fast charging devices? Don’t want to fry the unit.
2018-12-11
Use props
djiuser_2dtWgxBXs1AE
lvl.2

Germany

Will the OP accept any of the USB-C fast charging devices? Don’t want to fry the unit. https://ovo.fyi/redtube/ https://ovo.fyi/beeg/ https://ovo.fyi/spankbang/
2018-12-24
Use props
stefg
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

I read that the battery has 400 cycles. Will it be possible to have DJI to replace the internal battery for a fee (and how much) when the battery won't hold the charge any longer? I imagine that after a year or so the battery life may go down to 20 minutes. I wish the battery was  user replaceable.
I have been looking for an answer, and I fear that after 1 year the OP may become useless. then it would be a 30 dollar a month rental for the device.
2018-12-24
Use props
Video_Junkie
lvl.1

United States

Can someone from DJI respond with an answer on the battery only having 400 charge cycles, please?  I also want to know if this is true before I make a purchase.  If this is something I use on a regular basis, 400 charges are not that many where the batter would be spent within 6-10 months.  I don't want to spend $350 on a throwaway device or one that's expensive to have the battery replaced all the time.  Although I fear there is no answer to this question because that was never tested beforehand.  Any clarification on this would be appreciated.  Thanks!
2019-1-10
Use props
Video_Junkie
lvl.1

United States

Can someone from DJI respond with an answer on the battery only having 400 charge cycles, please?  I also want to know if this is true before I make a purchase.  If this is something I use on a regular basis, 400 charges are not that many where the batter would be spent within 6-10 months.  I don't want to spend $350 on a throwaway device or one that's expensive to have the battery replaced all the time.  Although I fear there is no answer to this question because that was never tested beforehand.  Any clarification on this would be appreciated.  Thanks!
2019-1-10
Use props
Video_Junkie
lvl.1

United States

2019-1-10
Use props
Video_Junkie
lvl.1

United States

2019-1-10
Use props
Upscaleman
lvl.3
United States

Think you've made your point.....relax on the reposts.
2019-1-10
Use props
KENIPOD
lvl.1
Flight distance : 540384 ft

Vietnam

OSMO pocket use Li-on battery 7.7V 875mAh wtih 2 cell ^^

more about insite osmo pocket is this:

2019-1-10
Use props
djiuser_P3cEVUURUr4F
New
United States

KENIPOD Posted at 1-10 20:11

[view_image]

I just bought that Osmo and read that battery can have only 400 recharges. Pls someone from Osmo tell us the truth. If it’s like this I will bring it and get my money back.
Also when I turn off the device is not going to storage mode for packing someone know what I can to do with that? Double tap for centering and triple tap for switching to selfie mode doesn’t works too. Pls help with any information.
2019-1-11
Use props
Semprini
New
Flight distance : 34501 ft
United States

djiuser_P3cEVUURUr4F Posted at 1-11 02:17
I just bought that Osmo and read that battery can have only 400 recharges. Pls someone from Osmo tell us the truth. If it’s like this I will bring it and get my money back.
Also when I turn off the device is not going to storage mode for packing someone know what I can to do with that? Double tap for centering and triple tap for switching to selfie mode doesn’t works too. Pls help with any information.

LiPo cells normally have a 300-500 charge cycle life these days, so 400 sounds right. The problem is that they did not make them easily replaceable. It's possible if you are comfortable with small electronics but you will be voiding your warranty by doing so. Plus, you would have to find the exact size LiPo pack to fit in the case. With the back of the Pocket popping off so easily, it's weird that that didn't make a little latch like on a TV remote and make the battery swappable. Then they could have made a bunch more money by selling overpriced replacement battery packs :-D
2019-1-11
Use props
Onsomehill
lvl.2
United States

KENIPOD Posted at 1-10 20:11

[view_image]

Thanks for the video... I have a question. Did that scar on your thumb come from that kitchen knife you used as a tool??????
2019-1-11
Use props
Alex Uzan
lvl.1

France

Not be able to replace the battery is their biggest mistake on this product.
It will hurt their reputation.

It’s a shame since the Osmo Pocket is the best gear idea for longtime.
2019-1-12
Use props
theprisoner6666
lvl.3
Hong Kong

I wonder if the battery is covered under DJI's Osmo Shield care? If not, then just 'accidentally' drop the device when the battery starts to suffer and get a brand new one. Job done.
2019-1-13
Use props
The Rev
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1256837 ft
Germany

theprisoner6666 Posted at 1-13 15:26
I wonder if the battery is covered under DJI's Osmo Shield care? If not, then just 'accidentally' drop the device when the battery starts to suffer and get a brand new one. Job done.

Warranty on a Drone battery is only 6 month
2019-1-13
Use props
theprisoner6666
lvl.3
Hong Kong

The Rev Posted at 1-13 16:27
Warranty on a Drone battery is only 6 month

Then just get Osmo Shield and 'find a way' to get a new device in 2 years' time.
2019-1-13
Use props
Ken77
lvl.2
United States

Video_Junkie Posted at 1-10 08:25

Good grief, once was enough. Unreal.
2019-1-13
Use props
The Rev
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1256837 ft

theprisoner6666 Posted at 1-13 18:10
Then just get Osmo Shield and 'find a way'  to get a new device in 2 years' time.

Its not available in the UK
2019-1-13
Use props
BrianKushner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41420253 ft
  • >>>
United States

stefg Posted at 2018-12-24 20:35
I read that the battery has 400 cycles. Will it be possible to have DJI to replace the internal battery for a fee (and how much) when the battery won't hold the charge any longer? I imagine that after a year or so the battery life may go down to 20 minutes. I wish the battery was  user replaceable.
I have been looking for an answer, and I fear that after 1 year the OP may become useless. then it would be a 30 dollar a month rental for the device.

Wow that's not very many in a non replaceable unit.
2019-1-13
Use props
theprisoner6666
lvl.3
Hong Kong

The Rev Posted at 1-13 18:25
Its not available in the UK

Damn, that’s not good. Let’s hope they allow it to be applied to a device retrospectively then when it finally arrives in the UK.
2019-1-14
Use props
DaMa
First Officer
Flight distance : 889662 ft
  • >>>
Germany

cgbrian.com Posted at 1-13 15:15
The typical estimated life of a Lithium-Ion, and lithium polymer battery is about two to three years or 300 to 500 charge cycles, whichever occurs first.

SO YES... on average after 400 cycles its garbage.

Don’t think so. My MBP from 2012 has 460 cycles and 75 % of capacity. Who will remember the OP after 3 years? Until then, we have the camera in the eye, either left or right, or in stereo.
2019-1-14
Use props
edwardyyy
lvl.4
Hong Kong

Yes, my iPhoneSE has run 24x7 since Nov 2016.
it is still running healthily now  (>75%) .

In HongKong, we can buy those iPhoneSE battery pack easily from Taobao (~US$10).
DIY within 5-mins.

I think most of our OPs will not have such kind of workload.
2019-1-14
Use props
FatherXmas
First Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

I bet there will be a 3rd party battery available at some point.
2019-1-14
Use props
Raptor17
New
Hong Kong

I noticed that the battery of my Osmo Pocket drains by 2% after a few hours (approx. 5~7 hours) while the device is in the switched off state.

Does anyone experience the same thing?
2019-1-14
Use props
theprisoner6666
lvl.3
Hong Kong

edwardyyy Posted at 1-14 02:56
Yes, my iPhoneSE has run 24x7 since Nov 2016.
it is still running healthily now  (>75%) .

We also have Osmo Shield care here in HK, which lasts for 2 years, so that should be more than enough for the battery's life time. I can't believe DJI doesn't offer Osmo Shield in the UK, one of the major markets.

We're lucky in HK because we have the flagship store in Causeway Bay that is always fully stocked and gets everything on day 1 of release.
2019-1-14
Use props
Raptor17
New
Hong Kong

cgbrian.com Posted at 1-15 11:15
I have not noticed this issue. If this is true.. its going to drain your battery below 3.2 volts per cell and damage it likely.. Have you let it sit to see if it continues? are you changing temperature environments between looking? a 2-4% change can easily happen based on ambient temperature.. if it continues to drop at this rate consistently than it may be defective

Yesterday I was at the DJI flagship store in Causeway Bay, Hong Kong.
The staff told me they haven't heard any user reports like mine.
They said I should make an appointment with the technicians today to let them check the device.
2019-1-15
Use props
KEN5423
lvl.3
United States

Raptor17 Posted at 1-14 08:46
I noticed that the battery of my Osmo Pocket drains by 2% after a few hours (approx. 5~7 hours) while the device is in the switched off state.

Does anyone experience the same thing?

Last Sunday(2 days ago)I shut my Pocket off at 53%.After reading your post I just fired it up and it read's 52%.Not an issue for me.
2019-1-15
Use props
Cheesey1
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hi Im having the battery drain issue also. Drained from 65% - 57% in around 9 hours over night. The device is on latest firmware and have been charged to 100% used fully, then recharged a couple of other times. Hope the engineers are investigating this problem as it makes planning filming tricky and also will affect the performance of the battery in the long term.
2019-2-11
Use props
Cheesey1
lvl.1

United Kingdom

stefg Posted at 2018-12-24 20:35

I'm wondering the same thing as well. Especially if the battery drain issue persists and isnt fixed by a firmware update. Here in the UK official DJI repair centres are non existent anyway!
2019-2-11
Use props
Cool h
lvl.4

Singapore

The kind of swich on pocket is like the switch on our phone , it does not really turn the device off but more likely let the device into standby mode, so it definitely have small current go through the circus. and battery will drain slowly, in order to prevent battery from draining you need a real power switch to cut the battery from the circus completely, like a light switch on the wall, the battery will alway out put current throughout all its life just like our phones, and that is why removing the battery from a phone will actually keep it at 100 percent when put it back after one month or even more.
2019-2-11
Use props
GoPro King
lvl.2
Flight distance : 578799 ft
Australia

The camera produces astounding quality video (when in focus). The fact of a sealed hard wired battery concerned me from the start. Weeks pass and I get so close to buying one, but that battery being glued and soldered in really sours the prospective purchase. Here in Australia they cost $600. Thats pretty hefty for a camera that doesn't allow battery removal. There is no doubt that the battery will decay. dji knows this and they will prob charge a stupidly high fee for a replacement, or worse...not even offer a replacement as they will declare it a obsolete unit next year(when the batts start declining in charge)

I had this issue trying to obtain a  new remote control for my Phantom 4. Yeah it may be a few years old, but they declared the unit obsolete and I am stuck with a perfectly working P4 and faulty controller. This sort of support really lowers any confidence in dealing with this brand. I am not here to flap my lips about GoPro, but hey....version 5,6 and 7 all use the same battery. You can still buy batteries for hero 4 and yet dji stop selling remote controls for their Phantom 4. Its like they make a unit, sell it and magically forget it exists when it comes to support a couple of years later. Someone mentioned in 3 years we will forget about the osmo pocket. Well thats true, but there are a lot of people who dont have disposable incomes to buy new cameras every year. Remember when things would last.....................

I want a osmo pocket, but I aint gambiling $600 on a 6 month battery warranty.
2019-5-22
Use props
thortschman
lvl.2
Cyprus

Hey! From my RC cars I learnt to always charge LiPo Batteries in specially fire proofed housing as they are quite sensitive. Should I be worried about the osmo pocket? Do you charge your device where ever, or do you put it in a fire proofe place?
I used to charge the osmo somewhere in the house. But as I now read again through general tips for LiPo's I start to think about a fire proofe charging case...

May somebody of you know if the energy level in the pocket is to low to start a fire?
2019-5-22
Use props
MKosmo
Second Officer
United Kingdom

This is the standard recharge of  Li-Po cells.  The cells do not fail after 400 cycles, the charge held will become less.  - Just like all other consumer electronics using these.

Ideally don't expose the Pocket to extreme heat, ie leaving in a car in the sun etc ....

I would be surprised if third party OP size cells do not become available in time. Already there are OP teardowns appearing on youtube.

In short, I don't see it as an issue. Its a great little camera, don't let this put you off.

2019-5-22
Use props
djiuser_RCK9d0Ezx7YW
lvl.1

Belgium

Semprini Posted at 1-11 07:28
LiPo cells normally have a 300-500 charge cycle life these days, so 400 sounds right. The problem is that they did not make them easily replaceable. It's possible if you are comfortable with small electronics but you will be voiding your warranty by doing so. Plus, you would have to find the exact size LiPo pack to fit in the case. With the back of the Pocket popping off so easily, it's weird that that didn't make a little latch like on a TV remote and make the battery swappable. Then they could have made a bunch more money by selling overpriced replacement battery packs :-D

Would and external battery solve this problem?
A compact module that attaches to the pocket o mean....
2019-6-19
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I've seen pics of rd party batteries that fit on the bottom of the handle.
2019-6-19
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

I posted a 'request' on the iFixit.com website.  They have repair projects/parts for other DJI products.  Similarly, their forum members can post videos of how they replaced or updated electronic products.
2019-6-19
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

thortschman Posted at 5-22 11:42
Hey! From my RC cars I learnt to always charge LiPo Batteries in specially fire proofed housing as they are quite sensitive. Should I be worried about the osmo pocket? Do you charge your device where ever, or do you put it in a fire proofe place?
I used to charge the osmo somewhere in the house. But as I now read again through general tips for LiPo's I start to think about a fire proofe charging case...

It's likely that your RC cars don't use "smart" batteries, i.e. batteries with circuitry that has protections built in.  That makes RC car batteries more susceptible to overcharging or depletion damage. (the two most common reason for needing anti-burn bags). Devices with smart battery circuitry limits the likelihood of an overcharge or over depletion.  As mentioned in another post reply, storing your DJI device in extreme environments CAN cause failures, both in the longevity (fewer recharge cycles) and safety.  ANY battery, LiPo, NiMh, Alkaline, etc. can be damaged with "bad" treatment.With regard to your last question, other replys by DJI indicate the circuitry in the device does prevent full depletion, which can cause batteries to become dangerous.

2019-6-19
Use props
remote.aviator
lvl.2
Flight distance : 523402 ft
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 2018-12-9 01:53
Hi Darrins, thank you for bringing this query to us. For battery care, it is highly recommended to monitor the charging process and disconnect the product when fully charged. Discharge the battery to 40% - 65% if it will NOT be used for 10 days or more. In this way, the battery life is greatly extended. Discharge and charge the battery completely once every three months to keep it in good condition. You may also read the Safety Guidelines for more information. Kindly reach us again if you have concerns. Thank you.

My question is since this has an internal battery, what is the life expectancy since I can't easily swap out the internal battery.  I'm still trying to decide if I should go with the Action or Pocket.  At least the Action has it where you can swap out the batteries.  I don't want to buy the pocket if this has a planned obsolescence of 400 recharges and then I'm stuck buying another.
2019-7-17
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules