DJI comment on Pocket already on sale in UK please
837 10 2018-12-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AngularIan
lvl.3
United Kingdom

People are reporting on Facebook that the Osmo Pocket is already on sale in New Zealand and that several dealers in the UK have already sold units and that others (one in Leamington Spa) already have them on the shelf for sale.

Can someone from DJI please comment on the veracity of these reports. In the past DJI HAVE provided early ‘demo’ units to stores to assist with taking pre-orders, but on the proviso they cannot be sold.

The situation is very confusing, with the official position seemingly being that units START shipping only on 15th December for the USA and DJI Store Online customers. For European customers this mean that the availability date is likely to be later once delays for shipping and customs clearance have been taken into account. Elsewhere there are reports that this date for Europe has slipped to 26th December which, if true, means that those of us who ordered these as Christmas presents need to cancel our pre-orders.

Please comment on whether these reports of units already on sale are true or not, and if false what the European shipping date is likely to be.

Thanks,
Ian
2018-12-9
Use props
KerryG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11736709 ft
  • >>>
United States

Some dealers have broken the rules and have allowed customers to purchase them. However, the app is not available so you cannot activate the device yet.
2018-12-9
Use props
AngularIan
lvl.3
United Kingdom

KerryG Posted at 12-9 20:05

Some dealers have broken the rules and have allowed customers to purchase them. However, the app is not available so you cannot activate the device yet.

Thanks. It seems that for possibly the first time in DJI history they HAVE shipped a newly announed product units to dealers early (where normally they are late) and that this is the cause of the confusion.

As you say, no dealers should be actually selling them but it seems many are showing them on shelves ready, or shipping them out to friends who weren't on the early influencers list for early reviews.

The beta version of the app which enables the hardware to be used seems to have been posted on several Facebook forums which encourages those who are supposed to be embargoed to just go ahead and ship I guess.

Keeping my fingers crossed that I get the two I pre-ordered on the 15th and the proper version of the app is available then too.
[Apologies for the image. The editor told me I had an unused image so I clicked it and now can't remove it. It was posted here ages ago in the Ronin-S forum]

Canon Cable Protector.jpg
2018-12-10
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Most retailers have stock but are unable, or at least shouldn't, be selling until the official release.
Even if buyers get an early unit, until the app is available they will be unable to activate the Pocket anyways.....
2018-12-10
Use props
AngularIan
lvl.3
United Kingdom

IftiBashir Posted at 12-10 12:41
Most retailers have stock but are unable, or at least shouldn't, be selling until the official release.
Even if buyers get an early unit, until the app is available they will be unable to activate the Pocket anyways.....

My dealer called to say they had good news and bad news: good news Pocket is in stock. Bad news: the four pre-advertised accessories (wireless adatpter, control wheel) are not and they have no date for them. Not entirely unexpected to be honest.

What was interesting was they assumed I'd want them posted. When I said I'd collect they said it had to be "after 4pm" as they were under embargo and could not sell them before then.

Seems bizarre given that the app isn't available until Saturday. Would have expected the embargo to be until Saturday.
2018-12-11
Use props
Cameleon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 60394 ft
United Kingdom

AngularIan Posted at 12-11 03:29
My dealer called to say they had good news and bad news: good news Pocket is in stock. Bad news: the four pre-advertised accessories (wireless adatpter, control wheel) are not and they have no date for them. Not entirely unexpected to be honest.

What was interesting was they assumed I'd want them posted. When I said I'd collect they said it had to be "after 4pm" as they were under embargo and could not sell them before then.

Fairly typical, it allows the product to be in hand and ready to go when it is live. Guess its mostly for those that are posting it out, lets people get them for the weekend when the app is hopefully released.

The last Canon camera I got arrived 2 days before official launch date in a similar situation.
2018-12-11
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

AngularIan Posted at 12-11 03:29

Yup, Im still waiting for the accessories too - with no idea on when they will be available!
2018-12-11
Use props
AngularIan
lvl.3
United Kingdom

IftiBashir Posted at 12-11 09:14
Yup, Im still waiting for the accessories too - with no idea on when they will be available!

Business as usual, although it does seem ridiculous that DJI let all the dealers advertise the extension pack (with the wireless stand and rotary dial) at the same time as the camera, implying they would be delivered at the same time.

Quote from my dealer: "No idea of a date. DJI are giving us no information at all".
Me: "Business as usual from DJI then. I'm still waiting for some of the accessories for the Ronin-S that DJI showed off at shows nearly a year ago now and not a sign or even a clue as to a date".

SNAFU.  The wait for the app (will Apple reject it again?!? dun-dun-dun) continues!
2018-12-11
Use props
Rogue0ne
lvl.3
Flight distance : 30322 ft
United Kingdom

I’m in the UK. Mine arrived this morning. Playing with it now.
2018-12-12
Use props
Cameleon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 60394 ft
United Kingdom

AngularIan Posted at 12-11 09:23
Business as usual, although it does seem ridiculous that DJI let all the dealers advertise the extension pack (with the wireless stand and rotary dial) at the same time as the camera, implying they would be delivered at the same time.

Quote from my dealer: "No idea of a date. DJI are giving us no information at all".

They're all the same these days. I have a home automation hub from Fibaro (HC2) which in their sales literature shows features that doesn't actually exist! I bought it thinking I could automate certain features of the home (lights, alarm, fire alarm, etc) but half of them don't work and we're still waiting on them to implement the features! Still a good product and very useful, but unfortunately marketing in these companies runs away from the developers and engineers who are probably working their backsides off to deliver them to advertise features that don't exist yet.
2018-12-12
Use props
TrulyMad
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14770 ft
United Kingdom

It's a bit of a weird situation as officially the release date is on the 15th, but this morning I got an email from DJI saying the Osmo Pocket is now on sale from their store. So I had a look at other U.K. retailers and they have also done the same. So as far as I know they have not broken any release embargo.

And yes I live in the U.K.
2018-12-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules