DJI OSMO Pocket Video Review & Sample Footage
3660 30 2018-12-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
IftiBashir
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Feel free to check out my take on the new DJI OSMO Pocket!

Still need to get hold of some accessories, but the main unit is very impressive so far!

Please feel free to share your thoughts!
2018-12-10
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hi and good day IftiBashir. Thank you for sharing your feedback for the DJI Osmo Pocket and for sharing this video as well. Thank you for your support.
2018-12-10
Use props
Troc Loc
lvl.1

Vietnam

There are two concern about this product in my opinion:
First, the battery life is not long enough, if it could changeable it would be better.
Second, the connector is a little dangerous when plugin the phone. Have to order a tray to keep the phone and the pocket can stayup tight together.
Read a topic about the filter to protect the lense, I second this because with Pocket, I feel not easy enough to use the gimbal barely, especially the lense
2018-12-10
Use props
Troc Loc
lvl.1

Vietnam

And one more prob I face is when Pocket turn off, the gimbal doesn't fold itself like yours. So is this normal or the update firmware can do it?
2018-12-10
Use props
IftiBashir
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Troc Loc Posted at 12-10 23:49
And one more prob I face is when Pocket turn off, the gimbal doesn't fold itself like yours. So is this normal or the update firmware can do it?

You need to update your firmware.
Initially mine didn't do this either - I updated firmware via the App and it started working. The update will also enable the quick button controls:
1 press - cycles between video and photo modes
2 press - re-centres gimbal
3 press - activates selfie mode
2018-12-11
Use props
WebParrot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

Troc Loc Posted at 12-10 21:02
There are two concern about this product in my opinion:
First, the battery life is not long enough, if it could changeable it would be better.
Second, the connector is a little dangerous when plugin the phone. Have to order a tray to keep the phone and the pocket can stayup tight together.

FWIW, I've purchased a Lightening Extension Cable (there's versions for USB-C/Thunderbolt as well) so that I can connect my phone to create the initial settings, then be able to video 'single-handedly' whilst placing my phone in my pocket.
Similarly, if I need additional battery life I can cable connect through the charging port to a separate power pack.  ( OP will work will charging, just like the original Osmo's )
While that may seem like too many cables, I doubt that there will be too many times when both needs will occur simultaneously.  
2018-12-11
Use props
Troc Loc
lvl.1

Vietnam

IftiBashir Posted at 12-11 01:45
You need to update your firmware.
Initially mine didn't do this either - I updated firmware via the App and it started working. The update will also enable the quick button controls:
1 press - cycles between video and photo modes

Thank you, I updated firmware and it's working good now
2018-12-11
Use props
IftiBashir
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

WebParrot Posted at 12-11 12:35
FWIW, I've purchased a Lightening Extension Cable (there's versions for USB-C/Thunderbolt as well) so that I can connect my phone to create the initial settings, then be able to video 'single-handedly' whilst placing my phone in my pocket.
Similarly, if I need additional battery life I can cable connect through the charging port to a separate power pack.  ( OP will work will charging, just like the original Osmo's )
While that may seem like too many cables, I doubt that there will be too many times when both needs will occur simultaneously.

Im assuming you do your settings then disconnect the Pocket??
Otherwise you wouldn't be able to use the LCD display on the pocket since the feed will be going to your connected phone.....
2018-12-13
Use props
StardustGeass
lvl.4
Germany

Do you have problems in video splitting each 4GB?
I mean, losing a second or two each separation?
2018-12-13
Use props
IftiBashir
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

StardustGeass Posted at 12-13 05:17
Do you have problems in video splitting each 4GB?
I mean, losing a second or two each separation?

This is generally a FAT32 file format limitation and common with all action cameras.
It should split the files at 4GB but you should be able to attach them seamlessly in your editor.
I have not recorded anything so large to test, but I may have a go now you mention it, and will report back ;)
2018-12-13
Use props
IftiBashir
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Itching to get hold of the accessories!
I will be getting the whole array of accessories and individually reviewing them all - so if you are not sure which to get keep an eye on this thread or my YT channel for the upcoming videos!
2018-12-13
Use props
WebParrot
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

IftiBashir Posted at 12-13 05:13
Im assuming you do your settings then disconnect the Pocket??
Otherwise you wouldn't be able to use the LCD display on the pocket since the feed will be going to your connected phone.....

It will depend on the situation.  If the conditions are constant (lighting, subject movement, location, etc.) I would probably remove the cable.  If it were a more dynamic situation ( filming a cycling race on a bright sunny day, changing race locations, for example ) I might keep it connected and just slip my phone into my pocket.  Easy enough to access to re-initiate active track or change white balance, for example.

One thing I'm looking for are some user definable "pre-sets" similar to what Filmic Pro offers.   They haven't added the OP to their compatibles yet, but that's one feature that would get me to use their product over Mimo...  [ Of course, DJI could preempt and retain my loyalty by adding it to THEIR App !! )
2018-12-13
Use props
PG73
lvl.4
United Kingdom

WebParrot Posted at 12-13 06:20
It will depend on the situation.  If the conditions are constant (lighting, subject movement, location, etc.) I would probably remove the cable.  If it were a more dynamic situation ( filming a cycling race on a bright sunny day, changing race locations, for example ) I might keep it connected and just slip my phone into my pocket.  Easy enough to access to re-initiate active track or change white balance, for example.

One thing I'm looking for are some user definable "pre-sets" similar to what Filmic Pro offers.   They haven't added the OP to their compatibles yet, but that's one feature that would get me to use their product over Mimo...  [ Of course, DJI could preempt and retain my loyalty by adding it to THEIR App !! )

I too would like to see user definable "pre-sets" introduced in an update, so they can be selected directly on the OP at a later date, after first setting them with a connected phone.
2018-12-13
Use props
WebParrot
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

PG73 Posted at 12-13 06:33
I too would like to see user definable "pre-sets" introduced in an update, so they can be selected directly on the OP at a later date, after first setting them with a connected phone.

I just put up a "Poll" on that idea.  Vote and add your thoughts on how it might work.
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... p;extra=#pid1679643

2018-12-13
Use props
StardustGeass
lvl.4
Germany

IftiBashir Posted at 12-13 05:32
This is generally a FAT32 file format limitation and common with all action cameras.
It should split the files at 4GB but you should be able to attach them seamlessly in your editor.
I have not recorded anything so large to test, but I may have a go now you mention it, and will report back ;)

Thanks for the check! Really appreciate it!

Yep, I know that the 4GB file split is common. Used GoPro, and even on my SG Note 9 it does the same, no matter the type of sd card is (exFAT don't have this limitation, but, okay)..

My problem is, having one or two seconds missing from the footage between... On my GoPro and SG Note 9, it doesn't happen.. But seeing that this problem is once mentioned and I haven't seen any solution about it, it worries me that DJI brings this problem here as well.
2018-12-13
Use props
IftiBashir
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Been told accessories aren't expected until end of the year
2018-12-14
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nice review!
2018-12-14
Use props
IftiBashir
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks!!!!
2018-12-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

You're welcome!
2018-12-16
Use props
IftiBashir
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Kinda regret replacing the developer app with the full release app - no story mode now!
2018-12-18
Use props
Ajay Bajaj
lvl.2
Canada

IftiBashir Posted at 12-18 01:25
Kinda regret replacing the developer app with the full release app - no story mode now!

Yes, I really wanted that story mode!

Do you know if the story mode works in portrait as well to post to instagram stories?
2018-12-18
Use props
Jimgo1
New
United States

Nice review! Thanks!
2018-12-18
Use props
Jimgo1
New
United States

Nice review! Thanks!
2018-12-18
Use props
IftiBashir
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Jimgo1 Posted at 12-18 16:55
Nice review! Thanks!

Thanks Jimgo1!
2018-12-20
Use props
spicemeister
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nice review and good to see a UK YouTuber getting involved, with these sort of products I want to see how they work on a cold grey day in the UK!

Were you filming 4K throughout this? The quality seems to be a lot lower than what mine produces, but maybe its just bad YouTube compression. Also I don't think you mentioned any issue with focus, reviewers don't seem to be covering it so I'm wondering if it's not in all devices but the focus pumping seems to be a big issue for most people including myself.
2018-12-20
Use props
IftiBashir
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

spicemeister Posted at 12-20 04:20
Nice review and good to see a UK YouTuber getting involved, with these sort of products I want to see how they work on a cold grey day in the UK!

Were you filming 4K throughout this? The quality seems to be a lot lower than what mine produces, but maybe its just bad YouTube compression. Also I don't think you mentioned any issue with focus, reviewers don't seem to be covering it so I'm wondering if it's not in all devices but the focus pumping seems to be a big issue for most people including myself.

Hi there!
Yes I filmed mainly in 4K but YouTube compression does take a fair hit most of the time. It was a struggle trying to get out and film with at least a little sunlight!! When my Pocket arrived it just seemed to rain for several days! lol

I mentioned AF as being one of the downsides of the Pocket in the video (from 7:45) - you can see it pulsate in a couple of the test shots on the video, but I haven't had it as extreme as some of the other examples Ive seen TBH.
Im going to try AFS mode instead next......
2018-12-20
Use props
IftiBashir
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Have some Freewell filters on the way, so will test and report back!
Still waiting on DJI's accessories.....
2018-12-25
Use props
IftiBashir
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

IftiBashir Posted at 12-25 04:03
Have some Freewell filters on the way, so will test and report back!
Still waiting on DJI's accessories.....

Received the filters and looking good so far!!

https://forum.dji.com/thread-176239-1-1.html
2018-12-30
Use props
IftiBashir
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Any idea when the Accessory Kit will be available?
2019-1-5
Use props
Jerry Kwok
New

Hong Kong

Osmo pocket is supporting exFAT. However, it is still cut the video into 4GB files.  Is it true?
2019-1-6
Use props
IftiBashir
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Jerry Kwok Posted at 1-6 02:46
Osmo pocket is supporting exFAT. However, it is still cut the video into 4GB files.  Is it true?

I believe so
2019-1-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules