Battery Grip Defective Screw Port
6688 11 2018-12-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Tokidoe
lvl.1
United States

After a recent shoot I was unscrewing my ronin S tripod from the battery grip. A couple twists and I realize it was rather difficult (almost seemed jammed) as I was trying to loosen it. I figured maybe the threads were mismatched upon unscrewing it.

After turning tightening and loosening it just a little the inner thread wiring of the battery grip was found stuck on the tripod piece upon taking it out.

Now I’m left with a damaged thread on the battery grip and a damaged tripod .

What could I do at this point ? Would I be able to get a replacement/repair ?
91B1F9F7-9410-4BF1-B1F3-3A291459D62D.jpeg
9025D8C3-4F52-4A31-B4E0-F84590590B1D.jpeg
2018-12-10
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi Tokidoe, we're sorry to read your post. Please kindly start a case and send it in for diagnosis: https://www.dji.com/support Please kindly provide us with the SN and case number once you got it, we'll keep following up, thank you!
2018-12-11
Use props
arthurbikemad
lvl.3
Flight distance : 49954 ft
United Kingdom

Thats the Helicoil, its an insert used to repair or create a durable thread in soft alloy, if they are fitted without a thread locking liquid they can often come undone as that one has, its far from unrepairable and is unfortunate that its become loose and has unscrewed its self from the Ronin S grip, personally I hate the things, a Wurth Timesert is a much better option IMO but many manufactures use Helicoils just as DJI have.
Any good engineering shop should keep them (but most will prob keep metric sizes), they are fitted with a tool that locks onto that TAB inside the one shown in your image, that TAB is sometimes half cut so it snaps off once tight leaving a thread that is clear all the way though for a bolt to pass. Me, I'd send it back and suggest DJI perhaps use a better method to give a durable thread in soft aluminium.
By the way, I've fitted hundreds of them in my time with Motorcycles.
2018-12-11
Use props
StianGel
Second Officer
Flight distance : 686654 ft
Norway

Check you're area for machining shops. They may be able to help you with mounting a new helicoil. You can also find 1/4 unc helicoil kits on ebay.
2018-12-11
Use props
Tokidoe
lvl.1
United States

arthurbikemad Posted at 12-11 01:06
Thats the Helicoil, its an insert used to repair or create a durable thread in soft alloy, if they are fitted without a thread locking liquid they can often come undone as that one has, its far from unrepairable and is unfortunate that its become loose and has unscrewed its self from the Ronin S grip, personally I hate the things, a Wurth Timesert is a much better option IMO but many manufactures use Helicoils just as DJI have.
Any good engineering shop should keep them (but most will prob keep metric sizes), they are fitted with a tool that locks onto that TAB inside the one shown in your image, that TAB is sometimes half cut so it snaps off once tight leaving a thread that is clear all the way though for a bolt to pass. Me, I'd send it back and suggest DJI perhaps use a better method to give a durable thread in soft aluminium.
By the way, I've fitted hundreds of them in my time with Motorcycles.

Thank you so much for the advice . I’ll take a look around Some machining shops to see how much it’d run me .

Although , I may send it back to support after all due to the damage to the tripod piece .

Thanks again for the helpful advice .
Cheers !
2018-12-12
Use props
Tokidoe
lvl.1
United States

StianGel Posted at 12-11 01:13
Check you're area for machining shops. They may be able to help you with mounting a new helicoil. You can also find 1/4 unc helicoil kits on ebay.

Thank you very much if I decide to go with the machining shop I’ll make sure to look over on EBay for the coils .

Cheers !
2018-12-12
Use props
AVA_
New
Australia

This has just happened to me!

How did you end up going about fixing this?
2019-11-20
Use props
fansd31e8ac6
New
Puerto Rico

Just bought mine in June and I have used it 7-9 times and this already happenedi bought the extended grip thinking's it was a tripod/grip problem , I have not yet come to find a solution I'm very sad about this since its new and I can't use the support because it does not register mi zip code.

2020-9-13
Use props
Ramonchous
New
Puerto Rico

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-12-11 00:09
Hi Tokidoe, we're sorry to read your post. Please kindly start a case and send it in for diagnosis: https://www.dji.com/support Please kindly provide us with the SN and case number once you got it, we'll keep following up, thank you!

Can you help me?
2020-9-13
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

I am sorry for the issue, Ramonchous. Please send the unit back to us for further assistance. Please contact our support at http://www.dji.com/support to start a case. Thank you.
2020-9-14
Use props
myse1f
lvl.1

United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2020-9-14 01:55
I am sorry for the issue, Ramonchous. Please send the unit back to us for further assistance. Please contact our support at http://www.dji.com/support to start a case. Thank you.

Very sad to read this, and also see the pictures above as I experienced this same issue and recently sent my BRAND NEW battery grip into DJI and hey quoted me $99 to replace!!! INSANE!

Highly disappointed in the level of service I'm getting from this.  

Here's my case # CAS-5244833-Q9W2T1

I just dealt with this SAME exact issue last week with you guys, and you quoted me $99.. shameful.
2021-5-7
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

myse1f Posted at 5-7 18:48
Very sad to read this, and also see the pictures above as I experienced this same issue and recently sent my BRAND NEW battery grip into DJI and hey quoted me $99 to replace!!! INSANE!

Highly disappointed in the level of service I'm getting from this.  

Hi, I am sorry for any inconvenience caused.
I had checked the case details, as per the serial number, the Ronin S was activated on 15 Dec of 2019, it is beyond the warranty period, and as per damage assessment, physical damage was made. Thus, the case is not covered under warranty.
Please let me know if there is any misunderstanding, thank you.
2021-5-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules