3882 14 2018-12-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Monk32
lvl.3
Flight distance : 50915 ft
Greece

Hi all.
I would like to start an informative guide usefull for all those want to know or express their experiences travelling with spare batteries in luggages.
Anyone likes to give his/her knowledge in any specific airliner to any country, facing any problem or even not at all, the posible solutions or looseness of the battery package material, should be very interested and informative.

Starting with Aegean/Olympic airlines in Greece i am giving here the official airliner rules for dangerus stuff.

https://en.aegeanair.com/travel-information/baggage/dangerous-goods/

Thanks for your responce
2018-12-13
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi Monk32, thank you for sharing this link with our co-pilots. You may also check the Local Regulations tab from our website. From this link just input the Continent / Country or Region you wish to search for, scroll to and click the  Local Regulations for more detailed information with some of their airline policies. Hope this helps. Cheers!

2018-12-14
Use props
Ridg
Second Officer
Flight distance : 232306 ft
United Kingdom

all lithium and lipo batteries should go in hand luggage, the end
2018-12-14
Use props
BKahuna
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7425909 ft
United States

The DJI Mavic manual states that you should discharge all the batteries to 30% or below before flying with them.
2018-12-14
Use props
msinger
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

BKahuna Posted at 12-14 08:04
The DJI Mavic manual states that you should discharge all the batteries to 30% or below before flying with them.

I don't believe any airlines require this.
2018-12-14
Use props
Zigenbock
lvl.3
Flight distance : 189341 ft
United States

msinger Posted at 12-14 08:46
I don't believe any airlines require this.

They may not require it - but it is a good idea. I had one battery recently that was fully charged.
I travel with them in Li-Po safe bags, and when I got home - it was actually warm....
The other two that were at or under 30% were not warm....
2018-12-14
Use props
Zigenbock
lvl.3
Flight distance : 189341 ft
United States

Under Electronic devices in the link that you provided it states that battery's should be in CARRY-ON. "For spare/loose batteries: Passengers may carry up to 2 spare/loose batteries, and in carry-on baggage only (for portable electronic devices). a) The Watt-hour rating of lithium ion batteries must be between 100 and 160. b) The lithium metal content of lithium metal batteries must be between 2 and 8 g. Spare lithium metal batteries will only be permitted for portable medical electronic devices (PMED)."
2018-12-14
Use props
msinger
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Zigenbock Posted at 12-14 09:13
They may not require it - but it is a good idea. I had one battery recently that was fully charged.
I travel with them in Li-Po safe bags, and when I got home - it was actually warm....
The other two that were at or under 30% were not warm....

The batteries will become warm when they are auto discharging down to the storage level. They won't generate enough heat to melt/burn anything.
2018-12-14
Use props
PioneerXi
lvl.3
Flight distance : 381772 ft
Australia

California. 7 December 2018.

At San Diego airport, TSA checkpoint to enter the secure area,  a domestic flight prior to an international flight. TSA pulled me to the side after scanning my carry on. Requested me to show the battery levels for my Mavic Air. I had drained them to one light. They asked no further questions.

Same carry on was not inspected at either Dallas/ Fort Worth, nor at Sydney, Australia where I had to enter the country and recheck luggage and carry on upon transfer from an international to a domestic flight.
2018-12-14
Use props
msinger
Captain
  • >>>
United States

PioneerXi Posted at 12-14 13:50
California. 7 December 2018.

At San Diego airport, TSA checkpoint to enter the secure area,  a domestic flight prior to an international flight. TSA pulled me to the side after scanning my carry on. Requested me to show the battery levels for my Mavic Air. I had drained them to one light. They asked no further questions.

Were they asking because of the battery levels or to see if the electronic devices would power on? I've been stopped by TSA before and asked to power on electronic devices (to prove they work).

See more details here:
https://www.tsa.gov/blog/2014/07 ... es-certain-airports

2018-12-14
Use props
PioneerXi
lvl.3
Flight distance : 381772 ft
United States

Not sure why. I can’t recall if they asked me to power them up or not.

Update: return journey.

Depart Coolangatta Australia 16 December 2018 on Qantas. After clearing the security checkpoint, I was randomly selected by the Australian Border Firce for the explosive swab. Boots, belt, hands and Laptop only.

Changed at Sydney Australia for departure to LAX on Qantas.
Prior to transiting to the international terminal, Civil security contractors on behalf of USA TSA do the prescreening. Once inside the international terminal, having cleared the Australian Board Force checkpoint, same civilians randomly selected me for the explosives swab. This time they also did the batteries of my MA. No questions were asked.
2018-12-16
Use props
gyrex
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7454275 ft
  • >>>
Vanuatu

You're not supposed to put li-ion batteries in check in luggage but quite a few times I've shoved 4 P4P batteries in there when I knew my camera backpack with Mavic air and P4P backpack would run over the check-in weight limit.
2018-12-17
Use props
GoMagic2
New
Germany

Hello,
this is what I got from the Lufthansa web site.
I plan to travel from Munich to the LAX.

I try to find the " UN Manual of Tests and Criteria’, Part III, Sub-section 38.3. "
As I understood dji should have a document for their Battery pack?

Did anybody find this document?

----------------

Specification
Non-spillable batteries (dry batteries, gel batteries) used for wheelchairs and other mobility aids.

Checked baggage: Yes
Carry-on baggage: No, except removable batteries
Carrier’s approval required: Yes (1)

Rules
- The battery must be securely attached to the wheelchair or mobility device.
- The battery terminals must be protected to prevent short circuits, e.g. by being enclosed within a battery container.
- Lithium-ion batteries must meet the requirements of the ‘UN Manual of Tests and Criteria’, Part III, Sub-section 38.3. Proof must be provided when booking or checking in at the airport, e.g. by a certificate from the manufacturer, or a personal written confirmation.

Batteries designed to be removed (e.g. in collapsible devices):
- The user must remove the battery.
- The battery must be protected from short circuits by insulating the terminals (e.g. by taping over exposed terminals).
- The batteries must be individually packed in a protective container provided by the passenger.
- The battery’s watt-hour rating must not exceed 300 Wh.
- A maximum of one spare battery not exceeding 300 Wh or two spare batteries each not exceeding 160 Wh may be carried.
- The battery must be carried as additional carry-on baggage.

The carriage of electronic personal transportation devices powered by lithium batteries (lithium-powered personal devices) is prohibited on board aircraft both in checked baggage and in carry-on baggage. This regulation applies regardless of the power capacity of the battery.
2019-1-19
Use props
GoMagic2
New
Germany

GoMagic2 Posted at 1-19 10:37
Hello,
this is what I got from the Lufthansa web site.
I plan to travel from Munich to the LAX.

Additionally I found this PDF

h t t p s://w w w.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/dgr/Documents/passenger-lithium-battery.pdf

Passengers travelling with lithium batteries

I printed this document and with below 100Wh we should be able to carry in the carry-on baggage <15 PED ...
2019-1-19
Use props
Konoir
lvl.1
Flight distance : 561142 ft
Denmark

In addition, lithium batteries are subject to the following conditions -  For spare/loose batteries: Passengers may carry up to 2 spare/loose batteries, and in carry-on baggage only (for portable electronic devices). a) The Watt-hour rating of lithium ion batteries must be between 100 and 160. b) The lithium metal content of lithium metal batteries must be between 2 and 8 g. Spare lithium metal batteries will only be permitted for portable medical electronic devices (PMED).

The above is taken from the dangerous goods policy.

Does that mean that you can max travel with only 2 batteries?
2021-5-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules