Prop strikes ...
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

I have just come in from a test flight of my P3P ... test was to see tracking by my SS3 system after I had problems with ss3 at a session last.

When i looked at the P3P ... there were definite strike marks from the red prop tips on the arms. See photo :

My Props are standard DJI issue with no faults ... I have for purely cosmetic reasons added the coloured bands to tips with marker pen - this does not then alter balance at all. The red shows that the tips DO graze the arms in flight and judging by the amount either side of uppermost centre line of the arm - the strike is not just a slight touch.

I would assume its when abrupt stops are done or if any quick change that throws the thrust lines ...

I am not actually too concerned about this - as its most likely been happening to all our P3's and may have some bearing on stress cracks that we all have seen. For the record - my P3P has no re-inforcement plates fitted and has no cracks so far. I do have a set if I ever decide to fit ... My motors are securely mounted as are my props.

Interesting !

Nigel
2018-12-14
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

I can't see any sign of scratches on my P3P but I eased up on the braking action percentage a long time ago - I didn't like the hard braking and I was used to the P2 series anyway, so I'm happy having a softer brake.  

Thanks for posting
2018-12-14
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

I too have eased up on the STOP and braking ... but occasionally I still have one or two.

I thought it good idea to post the evidence as I say - there is nothing wrong with my arms / props or motors. So this must be happening to many people without anyone knowing. The give away is the red marker ...

Nigel
2018-12-14
Use props
Joszhe Tosa
Second Officer

United States

solentlife Posted at 12-14 05:30
I too have eased up on the STOP and braking ... but occasionally I still have one or two.

I thought it good idea to post the evidence as I say - there is nothing wrong with my arms / props or motors. So this must be happening to many people without anyone knowing. The give away is the red marker ...

So how does the SS3 work now? I read in one of your old posts asking about when one would eventually be available at retail in your area. Now considering all of the problems others post about the SE -- I was going to joke about you getting angry at yours and using it for target practice with an SS3 of the Soviet or Indonesian variety and which would actually be an extremely drastic and fun anger management technique. Ha!

In a related blade strike-blade failure issue I've seen some put those wonky tri-blade setups on their drones and of course you know how that ends up for them.
2018-12-27
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

The SS3 is a hit or miss item. Sometimes I feel like throwing it in the bin ... then next time out it performs well. I honestly think that Soloshot overstepped the boundaries with it. On paper it would work - but in practice it falls down on tracking.

Its primary tracking mode is comparison of the base and TAG GPS positions.  It uses the 3D functionality in that not only horizontal but also vertical elements of the GPS comparison. Any first year student could have told them this is not sufficient for accurate tracking. Its fine out at distance because the angular factor is much lower ... but as the TAG gets closer the angular factor destroys tracking precision. We know that GPS position is not as accurate as some would like ... and the combo of both base and TAG errors means closer than 10m horizontally does not work.
Add to that the lack of speed in the base unit panning / tilting the camera means most models will fly out of frame while camera tries to follow.

SS3 I would think is fine for Horse Shows and generally slow events - but RC flying can and often does involve close in / fast movement.

Back to the topic - Blade strikes ... in my flights after the report ... I am not seeing strikes !! Props and gear are exactly same as before ... interesting.  Maybe the cold has stiffened them up

Nigel
2018-12-28
Use props
Joszhe Tosa
Second Officer

United States

solentlife Posted at 12-28 01:24
The SS3 is a hit or miss item. Sometimes I feel like throwing it in the bin ... then next time out it performs well. I honestly think that Soloshot overstepped the boundaries with it. On paper it would work - but in practice it falls down on tracking.

Its primary tracking mode is comparison of the base and TAG GPS positions.  It uses the 3D functionality in that not only horizontal but also vertical elements of the GPS comparison. Any first year student could have told them this is not sufficient for accurate tracking. Its fine out at distance because the angular factor is much lower ... but as the TAG gets closer the angular factor destroys tracking precision. We know that GPS position is not as accurate as some would like ... and the combo of both base and TAG errors means closer than 10m horizontally does not work.

Well stated.

Horse shows? Reminds me of the disdain we have here for everyone who doesn't rodeo or ride for a living or the weekend warriors on their Harleys wearing their always brand new genuine Harley logo gear and playing "biker dressup." LOL

As for your OP, as long as people don't start fighting over the use of nail polish versus sanding and adding/subtracting weight to balance props. Ha!
2018-12-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules