Firmware Update Failed
14716 28 2018-12-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
lioneldove
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I'm attempting to update the firmware on my Osmo Pocket via the my iPhone and app however it keeps failing at around 52%. Has anyone encountered this issue?
2018-12-14
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hi lioneldove, we are deeply sorry if you are having issues upgrading the Osmo Pocket's firmware. Please ensure that the SD card inserted in the Osmo Pocket has more than 100 MB of storage remaining. May we ask if there any error message on the app?
2018-12-14
Use props
jaybroho
lvl.3
Flight distance : 24583 ft
  • >>>
United States

yeah I'm getting the same error. stops at 52% then shows that it failed.  this is the error I get.
2018-12-14
Use props
lioneldove
lvl.1
United Kingdom

jaybroho Posted at 12-14 15:03
yeah I'm getting the same error. stops at 52% then shows that it failed.  this is the error I get.[view_image]

I reset the unit and re-installed the app which eventually worked. Give that a shot...no idea what the issue was but that seemed to have sorted it after a couple of tries.
2018-12-14
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

jaybroho Posted at 12-14 15:03
yeah I'm getting the same error. stops at 52% then shows that it failed.  this is the error I get.[view_image]

If all the troubleshooting have done , and try reboot 3 times to update again , but it still doesn't work , then the last option is to definitely send the unit back from where it was purchased.
2018-12-14
Use props
jaybroho
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

lioneldove Posted at 12-14 15:04
I reset the unit and re-installed the app which eventually worked. Give that a shot...no idea what the issue was but that seemed to have sorted it after a couple of tries.

yeah just tried that but still failed to update.
2018-12-14
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

jaybroho Posted at 12-14 15:12
yeah just tried that but still failed to update.

Hi jaybroho, what SD card are you using? Please try another SD card with the write speed over 30MB/s. Thank you.
2018-12-15
Use props
jaybroho
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 12-15 00:17
Hi jaybroho, what SD card are you using? Please try another SD card with the write speed over 30MB/s. Thank you.

I’m using a sandisk extreme u3 card. I believe it does 90mb/s.
2018-12-15
Use props
jaybroho
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

I finally got my device to update to the latest firmware after it always stalling at 52%.  What i did was risky and you could end up bricking your device so I definitely don't recommend doing this.

Anwyays, what i think happens during the firmware update is the first 50% of the update it transfers the firmware over to the device.  after it reaches 50% the device then runs the update.  So what I did was after it hit 50% maybe 51% i pulled the device from my iPhone X. (GASP)

DO NOT TURN OFF THE DEVICE.  

I was a little worried that i could brick it but what ended up happening was the device showed an update screen a few seconds after disconnecting it.

When it got to 100%, I checked my device info (noticed that there was no typo anymore) and this time...

I hope this helps anyone.  I'm just glad I don't have to return it.  
2018-12-15
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

jaybroho Posted at 12-15 13:45
I finally got my device to update to the latest firmware after it always stalling at 52%.  What i did was risky and you could end up bricking your device so I definitely don't recommend doing this.

Anwyays, what i think happens during the firmware update is the first 50% of the update it transfers the firmware over to the device.  after it reaches 50% the device then runs the update.  So what I did was after it hit 50% maybe 51% i pulled the device from my iPhone X. (GASP)

Hi jaybroho, thanks for your update and glad to know the issue was figured out, please keep us updated immediately if there is any other issue.
2018-12-17
Use props
djiuser_K2OXdpL1ecia
lvl.4
Spain

I am having exactly the same problem, it gets stuck as many other users halfway through, have tried different connections, rebooting, all. The system Jaybroho used, as he says might put in risk the unit  so I won't try it unless someone from tech support tells me so. My fear is that there are so many users with this incident (all stuck at 52 or 53%) Is firmware faulty our our units faulty? I suspected my unit might be faulty... but I am worried that many have the same issue? It is strange. It makes me lose trust that even replacing the product I get it sorted out, and even returning it now It's going to be late for Xmas present as it was intended, so just giving it a chance to dji to find a solution for me, these  days before Xmas to see if I can sort it out. I'll contact their email and see how it goes.

Also  my phone is in the compatible list (one plus 6) and my sd card is high quality and brand new, actually bought and send by dji itself.
2018-12-21
Use props
djiuser_Pci8yLFwWSdZ
New
Australia

I encountered same failure and upgraded successfully in the end.

Most probably the problem is relate to the SD card module of the pocket compatibility with the micro SD cards.

Phone: iPhone 6 with iOS 12.1.12
Card: Sandisk SDSQXA1-128G-GN6MA Extreme 128GB microSD UHS-I Card Adapter 160MB/s U3 A2

Steps I used:
1. Took out my Sandisk micro sd card and placed one Sony micro sd card inside. When I tried to format the Sony card I got formatting card failure message. That is fine, doesn’t matter.
2. Placed the Sandisk card back again and formatted it successfully.
3. Tried to upgrade the firmware again and succeeded. Didn’t reinstall the App on the phone.

Suggest to try micro SD card from the other brand first when you have same problem next time. There are some bugs with the card module in the osmo pocket I think.
2019-1-5
Use props
Rob W
Second Officer
Flight distance : 94390 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

If anyone still have issues after trying the several good tips above, try to switch mobile device between an Apple phone and Android. So if the update fails with an iPhone, try an Android device. If it fails on an Android phone, try an iPhone.

Firmware update issues are still plaguing all DJI's products. I've had several issues with my drones. Sometimes the update works on one device, the next times it does not. For me the solution is often solved by switching the mobile device or computer which is connected during the update.

I would say though, that most of the times users have issues there is no reason to send the device back to DJI for checking! DJI are very quick to ask people to send in their devices, but often the firmware update will work after trying several of already mentioned steps.

What is needed, is DJI fixing the firmware update procedure for all their products, and the software handling it, so it does necessary checks in a proper way and informs the user if there are any issues.
2019-1-5
Use props
Cougar1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 924393 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Rob W Posted at 1-5 02:09
If anyone still have issues after trying the several good tips above, try to switch mobile device between an Apple phone and Android. So if the update fails with an iPhone, try an Android device. If it fails on an Android phone, try an iPhone.

Firmware update issues are still plaguing all DJI's products. I've had several issues with my drones. Sometimes the update works on one device, the next times it does not. For me the solution is often solved by switching the mobile device or computer which is connected during the update.
Quote:
"Firmware update issues are still plaguing all DJI's products. I've had several issues with my drones." End quote.

Most users need to have a look at their own wifi and any potential internet connection and SD card issues, before assuming a faulty process for updating fw. Update is loaded to the device used to performed the update, prior to updating the Osmo Pocket.

I have been using DJI drones for years and never had any issues with updating, so to say this is common with DJI might not be accurate.  
2019-1-5
Use props
Rob W
Second Officer
  • >>>
Sweden

Cougar1 Posted at 1-5 05:23
Quote:
"Firmware update issues are still plaguing all DJI's products. I've had several issues with my drones." End quote.

Personally I never update via WiFi, and I always use good cards. I have own DJI products since the first Naza (Phantom 3 and 4, A2, A3, Mavic, Inspire 1's and Inspire 2), and for instance, with the Inspire 2, I've experience upgrade issues. Sometimes it worked with the iPad but not through the computer. Next firmware the other way around etc. DJI told me to send it back at one time, but I managed to get it working after many, many tries. The last update went without a hitch though. Many others report of the same issues, so it is not just me.

So I talk from my own experience, and added one for thing to check and try for the community if they have problems, before sending it back to DJI.
2019-1-5
Use props
Cougar1
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Rob W Posted at 1-5 06:06
Personally I never update via WiFi, and I always use good cards. I have own DJI products since the first Naza (Phantom 3 and 4, A2, A3, Mavic, Inspire 1's and Inspire 2), and for instance, with the Inspire 2, I've experience upgrade issues. Sometimes it worked with the iPad but not through the computer. Next firmware the other way around etc. DJI told me to send it back at one time, but I managed to get it working after many, many tries. The last update went without a hitch though. Many others report of the same issues, so it is not just me.

So I talk from my own experience, and added one for thing to check and try for the community if they have problems, before sending it back to DJI.

I also talk about my own experience, have been around since early Phantom1 and have had several models of them as well as Inspire1, I1Pro, I2, Mavic, Mavic2 and so on. (way to much money spent). I always used SD cards on early models but have used "Assistant" since it became available, but with the Osmo Pocket we need to use wifi. Never any issues updating.

Also like to share my experiences as a help to users that are new. I think it is mostly connection and sd card issues as well as using phones that is not compatible , that is causing user problems with updates.   
2019-1-5
Use props
Rob W
Second Officer
  • >>>
Sweden

Sure, most issues are bad WiFi and cards, but there are so many people who have followed the procedure by the book, and still have issues. One firmware can work great on a DJI product, and the next firmware upgrade can have issues (using the same SD-card, computer with stable internet, phone/tablet).

But anyway, my tip was not to immediately send in the device back to DJI, even if they ask you to, but to test what I have experienced and helped me at a time, and that was to change phone/tablet for that particular firmware when updating.
2019-1-5
Use props
Cougar1
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Rob W Posted at 1-5 07:04
Sure, most issues are bad WiFi and cards, but there are so many people who have followed the procedure by the book, and still have issues. One firmware can work great on a DJI product, and the next firmware upgrade can have issues (using the same SD-card, computer with stable internet, phone/tablet).

But anyway, my tip was not to immediately send in the device back to DJI, even if they ask you to, but to test what I have experience and helped me at a time, and that was to change phone/tablet for that particular firmware when updating.

I agree with you Rob, think DJI could have eliminated one potential problem with SD cards by including one with the Osmo Pocket, there is many faulty cards that claim to be legit on Amazon etc. that is actually fake.
2019-1-5
Use props
Rob W
Second Officer
  • >>>
Sweden

Cougar1 Posted at 1-5 07:10
I agree with you Rob, think DJI could have eliminated one potential problem with SD cards by including one with the Osmo Pocket, there is many faulty cards that claim to be legit on Amazon etc. that is actually fake.

Yes, I agree that DJI should have had a compatible SD-card in the package. DJI have often done so with their other products, I have plenty of blue Lexar cards from DJI (16GB) at home. Having a compatible card with every DJI product could potentially eliminate a lot for firmware upgrade issues.
2019-1-5
Use props
Plasticsoul
New
Flight distance : 358 ft
Brazil

hi guys! Same problem here.

any solution?
2019-1-30
Use props
N4KRO
New
Flight distance : 118645 ft
United States

I continue to have this trouble with each firmware update.  This latest update v1.4.0.20 is no exception. The work around that worked for me was to unplug the camera when the mimo app reached 51% and then i waited for the mimo to indicate that connection was lost.  I then plugged the camera back in and the update continued without any error.  I did use the email DJI Osmo pocket support function, and they wrote back telling me how to initiate a return for repair.  For now the update is working beautifully, so I will hold off sending it back to DJI.
2019-2-3
Use props
Arnold Jagt
lvl.1
United States

I switched from Android to an iPad and that did the trick.
2019-2-13
Use props
fans76a10885
New
Flight distance : 115787 ft
Brazil

I had the same problem. After several attempts, including following all the instructions here, the only way I could solve was to find the folder "firmware" inside App Mimo in the internal memory of the cell phone and delete the previous download. After that it was just connecting the Pocket and it downloaded and installed it automatically without crashing. This really worked for me.
2019-4-20
Use props
MihneaM
New
Spain

I also had this problem with a brand new Osmo Pocket who wouldn't update to the latest firmware (1.70........). I tried different microSD cards, different phones, tablets, adapters, etc. The only thing that worked was the "disconnecting" method and even that worked only after 2 failed attempts. My main concern is that if this is going to be a permanent problem and this is the only way I will be able to update the camera In the future? Or maybe I bought a camera with a faulty firmware (before and during the normal update attempts the camera was getting very hot and the battery was draining very fast, after the update everything seems to be normal....)
2019-6-4
Use props
rogerlin
New
Flight distance : 6909 ft

United Kingdom

Yes me too, new 128 GB SD card, it just wont work, reinstalled app, tried IPad & Android, must have tried it 15 times now, DJI support had no idea, UK main dealer had no idea, not brilliant if I`m honest, "Failed To Update Firmware" comes up every time, will have to send back if it`t not sorted out, wish I`d gone with the GoPro now
2019-6-23
Use props
Curt1591
First Officer
Thailand

There is no recent firmware update.
2019-6-23
Use props
Pierre de Coeur
lvl.1

Spain

jaybroho Posted at 2018-12-15 13:45

It worked for me too, so thank you, but it's a shame DJI does not fix that and leaves this clever user kludge as the only solution.
2021-7-31
Use props
Pierre de Coeur
lvl.1

Spain

jaybroho Posted at 2018-12-15 13:45

It worked for me too, so thank you, but it's a shame DJI does not fix that and leaves this clever user kludge as the only solution.
2021-7-31
Use props
duxkaidor
New

Germany

I had the same issue. I let my smartphone forget my WiFi and after that it worked flawlessly. It downloaded the update over the mobile data I think.
I think that the smartphone correctly connects to the Pocket via WiFi, but then it notices that the Pocket's WiFi does not provide internet, then decides to disconnect from the Pocket's WiFi in the middle of the update and connects to my home Wifi again. Of course the update is then aborted.

2023-11-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules