Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Montfrooij Posted at 12-16 23:13
Nice indeed.
As said, I really wonder if the total weight of the system will be too much for me.
So I will definitely have to take some time to test it out before buying.

Personally for me the weight of the Ronin S is manageable, and not an issue. However, for Miche it is a little heavy when combined with camera and lens, and it is Miche that will be using it, hence the need for a camera dolly especially when she uses the Canon 1D mk ii, the camera and lens weighs more than she does.

The Ronin S is made from high quality materials and the build quality exceptional and the operation comparatively simple once set up. The motor parameters are adjustable and is easily set for personal preferences and shooting styles. The ronin app is easy to use and allows for the Ronin to be used remotely which is an absolute bonus. Combined with a field monitor to control all camera functions the Ronin S is an indispensable tool for any film maker. My only negative is DJI have yet to develop the Ronin app or ronin for camera control incorporating a field monitor. And that would be the only negative to the Ronin S. Who knows DJI could release more new accessories.
2018-12-17
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

M2Wair Posted at 12-17 01:26
Personally for me the weight of the Ronin S is manageable, and not an issue. However, for Miche it is a little heavy when combined with camera and lens, and it is Miche that will be using it, hence the need for a camera dolly especially when she uses the Canon 1D mk ii, the camera and lens weighs more than she does.

The Ronin S is made from high quality materials and the build quality exceptional and the operation comparatively simple once set up. The motor parameters are adjustable and is easily set for personal preferences and shooting styles. The ronin app is easy to use and allows for the Ronin to be used remotely which is an absolute bonus. Combined with a field monitor to control all camera functions the Ronin S is an indispensable tool for any film maker. My only negative is DJI have yet to develop the Ronin app or ronin for camera control incorporating a field monitor. And that would be the only negative to the Ronin S. Who knows DJI could release more new accessories.

Yes, I think with my D610 + prime lens it will put a considerable strain on my arms / shoulders...
But luckily we have a superb camera store close by that will hopefully let me test the RS for some time to see how I handle it.
But, as stated, first need to gather enough funds.....
2018-12-17
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
  • >>>
Ireland

Montfrooij Posted at 12-17 01:54
Yes, I think with my D610 + prime lens it will put a considerable strain on my arms / shoulders...
But luckily we have a superb camera store close by that will hopefully let me test the RS for some time to see how I handle it.
But, as stated, first need to gather enough funds.....

Cool, we don't have any camera shops local that would allow a test, so for us it is a case of buy now test later. And even if we had tested it prior to purchase we still would have bought it knowing it's heavy for Michelle. She loves it.

Miche just took possession this morning of the Pocket Osmo, and its tiny so perhaps something to think about and half the price.
2018-12-17
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

M2Wair Posted at 12-17 02:04
Cool, we don't have any camera shops local that would allow a test, so for us it is a case of buy now test later. And even if we had tested it prior to purchase we still would have bought it knowing it's heavy for Michelle. She loves it.

Miche just took possession this morning of the Pocket Osmo, and its tiny so perhaps something to think about and half the price.

I already have the Osmo Mobile, so the 'Pocket' is not an upgrade for me.
I will keep the Mobile for a while and decide later on if Ronin-S will do for me.
But I love the output of a Full Frame DSLR for video. Nothing beats that.
Although I'm not too sure about how often I can really use it.
For now it is on my list though and when I have enough funds, I will re consider my options.
2018-12-17
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
  • >>>
Ireland

Montfrooij Posted at 12-17 02:22
I already have the Osmo Mobile, so the 'Pocket' is not an upgrade for me.
I will keep the Mobile for a while and decide later on if Ronin-S will do for me.
But I love the output of a Full Frame DSLR for video. Nothing beats that.

Agree with you 100% you will have to go a long way to beat Full Frame for video, hence the Ronin's for our cameras but damn everything comes at a cost and Miche is on a spending roll lol. The kids are grown and flown the nest so if she wants she gets.  

She doesn't buy shoes and handbags, dresses or fancy wardrobe gear, she's in love with making videos/photography/editing and flying her drone. It gives her tremendous pleasure and satisfaction, so happy days.
2018-12-17
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

M2Wair Posted at 12-17 05:03
Agree with you 100% you will have to go a long way to beat Full Frame for video, hence the Ronin's for our cameras but damn everything comes at a cost and Miche is on a spending roll lol. The kids are grown and flown the nest so if she wants she gets.  

She doesn't buy shoes and handbags, dresses or fancy wardrobe gear, she's in love with making videos/photography/editing and flying her drone. It gives her tremendous pleasure and satisfaction, so happy days.

If you ever plan on getting a new wife, let me know
2018-12-17
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
  • >>>
Ireland

Montfrooij Posted at 12-17 05:29
If you ever plan on getting a new wife, let me know

Its taken me this long to get this one trained lol
2018-12-17
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

M2Wair Posted at 12-16 07:00
Thanks Woe, it was a case of having to build something like this. The Ronin with our a7iii and gh5 is managable but as soon as we use our 1dx mkii you need arms like popeye to hold it for any length of time, damn it weighs more than Miche soaking wet, so she demanded a dolly lol

That's funny.

I sure she appreciate it.
2018-12-17
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

M2Wair Posted at 12-17 06:34
Its taken me this long to get this one trained lol

Ssst.
Don't say that out loud
2018-12-17
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
  • >>>
Ireland

Woe Posted at 12-17 06:40
That's funny.

I sure she appreciate it.

Oh she appreciates it, saves her listening to me reminding her how lucky she is having such a wonderful husband.
2018-12-17
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

M2Wair Posted at 12-17 12:22
Oh she appreciates it, saves her listening to me reminding her how lucky she is having such a wonderful husband.

2018-12-17
Use props
tjalex
Second Officer
Flight distance : 422375 ft
  • >>>
Chile

ha ha ha... nice looking. Thanks for sharing.
2019-1-26
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
  • >>>
Ireland

tjalex Posted at 1-26 00:22
ha ha ha... nice looking. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks, it works and controls bounce 100% thanks to a simple spring dampening system I fitted, so delighted.

Now working on a smaller travel version
2019-1-26
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Long time no see John!
Everything ok?
2019-5-20
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
  • >>>
Ireland

Montfrooij Posted at 5-20 06:36
Long time no see John!
Everything ok?

Thanks buddy, yeah we are both good, just been keeping a low profile on here for a while and now planning for our trip to Malta in a few weeks.  We've taken the time off to recharge batteries and are raring to go again for the summer.

2019-5-22
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

M2Wair Posted at 5-22 02:39
Thanks buddy, yeah we are both good, just been keeping a low profile on here for a while and now planning for our trip to Malta in a few weeks.  We've taken the time off to recharge batteries and are raring to go again for the summer.

You're welcome
Good to hearing from you again!
Always good to take some time off
2019-5-22
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

good job john - nice wheels - a bit less air should help smooth the bumps out -
2019-5-22
Use props