osmo pocket more bad than right
2317 16 2018-12-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
edeone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 164685 ft
Germany

Yesterday I bought an osmo pocket in the mediamarkt (german electric dealer).
I hope they take back the osmo pocket on Monday.

My reasons:

1. focus pumping (there are articles here in the forum)

2. active track and face tracking loses too fast the object to be tracked.
3. every step is seen in the video, i know gimbal vs, steadycam but thats too busy for me, as an effect usable ok. but not in all shots.
4. Profesional mode only via Mimo app, WHY
5. story mode no own music possible (that's my story)
6. no d-lock profile (is passed by fw, sorry dji I also have a mavic 2 pro and wait today on the waypoints mode ... is not funny always just to be fooled)

My conclusion is Osmo Pocket return and money back.

Everyone who wants to buy now waits or better saves your money.
I am really annoyed by the way Dji treats his buyers as beta (garbage) testers.
As written above, I hope that the shop takes the osmo back.

And at the moment no "oh sorry, dji" does your job before you start selling things. Unfortunately, as a buyer, we also have to work for our money.

2018-12-16
Use props
dronie1965
First Officer
Flight distance : 24897940 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

You basically recap what many people are dealing with now .
So i hope dji is listening and not only telling us that they forwarded these issues to the r and d departement but that they actually are dealing with developping “the new firmware”.
2018-12-16
Use props
bsmpower
lvl.2
Netherlands

I think these are things which can happen with such a new device. Probably not tested good enough, but I think a lot will be fixed with future firmwares. I also have some issues but not big enough to return. But they have to fix it yes!
2018-12-16
Use props
Cameleon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 60394 ft
United Kingdom

Welcome to the new world of product development - live product development. Manufacturers have 2 options these days it appears. DJI takes the 'release it when its just about ready and update it often' approach. People like Canon take the - 'develop it til we think its done and never update it' approach. Neither leave the end user happy!
2018-12-16
Use props
edeone
lvl.4
Germany

dronie1965 Posted at 12-16 00:52
You basically recap what many people are dealing with now .
So i hope dji is listening and not only telling us that they forwarded these issues to the r and d departement but that they actually are dealing with developping “the new firmware”.

I have the impression that the forum moderators are not real people but answer bots. (from time to time) ;)
2018-12-16
Use props
edeone
lvl.4
Germany

Cameleon Posted at 12-16 01:16
Welcome to the new world of product development - live product development. Manufacturers have 2 options these days it appears. DJI takes the 'release it when its just about ready and update it often' approach. People like Canon take the - 'develop it til we think its done and never update it' approach. Neither leave the end user happy!

Almost right, but DJI uses his pre-youtube tester to stir the commercials with features that are once again disabled in the final product. then it says again, everything comes via firmware update (later) canon for example says here is a new product and no uh and ohh and firmware and a lot of blahblah.
Yes I agree, if products are improved by firmware. but, I do not know either ...? ... I wish you a beautiful Sunday
2018-12-16
Use props
Vermifuge
lvl.3
United States

Maybe just accept it isn't a "pro" product?  Does what it does well enough for me and I'm sure many others.
2018-12-16
Use props
AngularIan
lvl.3
United Kingdom

I think you’re expecting too much from this device, although I agree that DJI have over-sold the device’s features (they always do) and that the moderators on here have so little knowledge or seemingly access to DJI staff who understand the product that they might just as well be bots. They don’t even know the basic specs (SD card capacity) and contradict each other on their own published basic specs, which is very poor.

But the real point is no camera is any good if you don’t have it with you. The Osmo Pocket is tiny enough to always be with you and the audio and video quality are astonishing for such a small device. The rest is icing on the cake, and pretty good icing, even with the limitations you’ve mentioned. For me and many others that is more than enough to make this a great purchase.

I don’t really get your point no.4. Yes you have to use a phone to change the Pro settings but the fact we’re even offered them on a device this small is a big plus, and they remain even when the phone is then detached. And who doesn’t carry a phone with them anyway? The point is you CAN adjust all these settings using your phone and then shoot using the, without needing the phone, which is pretty good for something so small.
2018-12-16
Use props
Webcruise
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

Vermifuge Posted at 12-16 02:31
Maybe just accept it isn't a "pro" product?  Does what it does well enough for me and I'm sure many others.

Considering somethin being a pro product depends on for what you use it. I think that at least the promoted features should work properly, since for a toy its just to expensive. And for a camera a sharp in focus video is one of the main tasks.

I really hope that the hardware is capable of getting fixed via sw fw update. DJI will have to fix this in two weeks, because this is the time frame in Germany to return online bought products.
2018-12-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

AngularIan Posted at 12-16 02:47
I think you’re expecting too much from this device, although I agree that DJI have over-sold the device’s features (they always do) and that the moderators on here have so little knowledge or seemingly access to DJI staff who understand the product that they might just as well be bots. They don’t even know the basic specs (SD card capacity) and contradict each other on their own published basic specs, which is very poor.

But the real point is no camera is any good if you don’t have it with you. The Osmo Pocket is tiny enough to always be with you and the audio and video quality are astonishing for such a small device. The rest is icing on the cake, and pretty good icing, even with the limitations you’ve mentioned. For me and many others that is more than enough to make this a great purchase.

I also believe to many expecting OP to be much more than it is, I keep reading that this is a pro product, but don’t see anything about this in the blurb, I think people are expecting this to replace an EOS R on a ronin gimbal, so 4K for that set up as against €350 , with regards to moderators, I haven’t seen to many contradictions coming from them, I have read one regarding SD capacity but that’s it, I knew what the capacity was simply by checking the specs on the dji website.
The same people complaining about this unit being to expensive should be well capable of checking the specs, they are very easy to find.
With regards to some features not working yet, this can be a problem for some, but for those used to buying dji products it’s pretty normal.
I think what we will see here soon is those creative people showing what can be done and what is possible with OP, and we will see others blaming the OP as the reason they can’t match the best of what they are seeing. I think it’s a case of the old saying , A poor tradesman will always blame his tools.
While others see what’s possible and want to learn and emulate what they see, will get a whole lot more from this nifty little tool.
2018-12-16
Use props
dronie1965
First Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

hallmark007 Posted at 12-16 04:08
I also believe to many expecting OP to be much more than it is, I keep reading that this is a pro product, but don’t see anything about this in the blurb, I think people are expecting this to replace an EOS R on a ronin gimbal, so 4K for that set up as against €350 , with regards to moderators, I haven’t seen to many contradictions coming from them, I have read one regarding SD capacity but that’s it, I knew what the capacity was simply by checking the specs on the dji website.
The same people complaining about this unit being to expensive should be well capable of checking the specs, they are very easy to find.
With regards to some features not working yet, this can be a problem for some, but for those used to buying dji products it’s pretty normal.

Someway you are right. But one of the most important things of a camera is the focus. And if the focus is not correct (at the moment )the footage is pretty useless. Wait till you receive the osmo pocket and see for yourself, the focus is a lot of times blur(afc) and very noticable in the footage during filming. In afs you have to keep pressing the screen. On the pocket screen you will not see that it is out of focus, only when seeing on pc or tv.This is 1 important thing dji should solve with the next fw.
2018-12-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

dronie1965 Posted at 12-16 04:37
Someway you are right. But one of the most important things of a camera is the focus. And if the focus is not correct (at the moment )the footage is pretty useless. Wait till you receive the osmo pocket and see for yourself, the focus is a lot of times blur(afc) and very noticable in the footage during filming. In afs you have to keep pressing the screen. On the pocket screen you will not see that it is out of focus, only when seeing on pc or tv.This is 1 important thing dji should solve with the next fw.

Well that’s true, I don’t have mine yet, but have seen manyon YT where focus seems alright, I suppose i won’t know for sure until I try it, only other ones I have seen are very short ones up on here, but quality is so low it’s very hard to tell, some it’s in focus some say not. But yes if it’s a problem then fix it, I paid 2.5k for a gh5 two years ago and still a problem with focus jumping.
2018-12-16
Use props
dronie1965
First Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

The quality and colors are fine . Its just the focus . As you cant see it on the display of osmo , you also might not see it on yt , but on bigger screen like tv or pc , you clearly see it.
But lets be optimistic and wait for a fw update.
2018-12-16
Use props
PG73
lvl.4
United Kingdom

The focus as it currently works is a major issue and I don't think people are expecting too much or pro standards. Even if used by a parent to capture a kids birthday party (as advertised in promos), imagine filming their child blowing out the candles on the birthday cake and then when watching the footage back later the child and cake are blurred - it's not like they could just reshoot it.

I think it would have been a better idea to have a fixed focal length (like GoPro) or at least allow a setting to have that, so the camera isn't constantly pumping for focus or the user having to keep tapping on the screen to focus - just allow the user to set 'infinity' focus and have everything be pretty much in focus.
2018-12-16
Use props
fridh
lvl.2
Sweden

Just check this footage. You can clearly see the focus problem. It's a DISASTER! I cant use this at all.
I really hope that DJI takes this matter seriously.

2018-12-16
Use props
txtechnonerd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 175075 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes... This Focus Hunting issue is a BIG PROBLEM and I hope like heck DJI is reading/watching/listening... It's just not acceptable in an AF camera in this day and age. I mean, even my ancient PowerShot S230 didn't have this level of autofocus issues. I don't recall seeing anything like this focus hunting issue in any of the early shill reviews...but there were certainly focus misfires (focus on background instead of subject, etc.). My OP is sitting under my Christmas tree right now, so I cannot test for myself, but if I have this type of issue then I agree with the others...this camera is unusable, whether it's flippin' a "pro" or "consumer" device. Focus is not up for debate. Now, am I expecting a consumer level camera to "nail" focus in every situation? Nope, but the algorithm should most certainly do EVERYTHING to avoid hunting/pumping in all cases.
2018-12-16
Use props
arthurbikemad
lvl.3
Flight distance : 49954 ft
United Kingdom

I hope they fix the issues, I hate to say it but all three of my 2018 DJI products have bugs. I have never know a company relaease new products with so many minor issues.
2018-12-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules