Osmo Pocket autofocus problem after Firmware update.
3587 26 2018-12-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TirexiHD
lvl.2
Flight distance : 232146 ft
  • >>>
Hungary

This is criminal...

Video:

2018-12-16
Use props
Webcruise
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

Did it work before FW update? That would be good, because it means that this issue can be solved.
2018-12-16
Use props
TirexiHD
lvl.2
  • >>>
Hungary

Webcruise Posted at 12-16 03:23
Did it work before FW update? That would be good, because it means that this issue can be solved.

I not test without the new firm but the new firm says "Optimized the autofocus in some scenes".
2018-12-16
Use props
UweEngbertz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1016775 ft
  • >>>
Germany

You are testing in snowy/cold conditions. As far as I know from various reviews, the built-in accu is a LiPo-battery,
which is very sensible with low temperatures.
2018-12-16
Use props
TirexiHD
lvl.2
  • >>>
Hungary

UweEngbertz Posted at 12-16 04:58
You are testing in snowy/cold conditions. As far as I know from various reviews, the built-in accu is a LiPo-battery,
which is very sensible with low temperatures.

So the autofocus is not working correctly because the outdoor temperature is -2C. -.-'

Indoor i have same problem...
2018-12-16
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2018-12-17
Use props
UweE
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

El Diablo Posted at 12-17 04:45
Are you making comments just for the sake of it???

No! I just made this comment, because in one of the numerous YT videos, the guy mentioned, that the Osmo Pocket reacted slower in cold conditions, especially the auto-focus.
The starting comment of this thead " this is criminal" is also not very helpful.

BR Uwe
2018-12-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

There is a minimum distance for focusing .
2018-12-17
Use props
Webcruise
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

Got mine today and tested a little bit in medium indoor light conditions. Not really fast/good but also not really bad. I think the problem is figuring out without mobile phone
if the focus is right or not. A focus peaking funktion would really help here. A button for infinite focus would also be a benefit.

Sideinfo: panorama photos cannot be transfered directly from sd card to iPad, these photos have to be processed first by iPhone (if you think about it, it is pretty obvious, so no issues).
It is possible to transfer fotos and videos via the charging port of the OP usbc to usbc cable to iPad BUT you will have to remove the little dongle from the OP (btw. The iPad 11 inch will also charge the OP)

Really happy even with some minor points that have to be sorted out. Really wating for the GoPro holder.

Best regards, Alexander
2018-12-17
Use props
TirexiHD
lvl.2
  • >>>
Hungary

hallmark007 Posted at 12-17 09:58
There is a minimum distance for focusing .

Watch the full video not only the thumbnail... -.-'
2018-12-17
Use props
TirexiHD
lvl.2
  • >>>
Hungary

UweE Posted at 12-17 09:21
No! I just made this comment, because in one of the numerous YT videos, the guy mentioned, that the Osmo Pocket reacted slower in cold conditions, especially the auto-focus.
The starting comment of this thead " this is criminal" is also not very helpful.

And i write: INDOOR HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM.
In my +20C room...

Or this +20C is cold for the Pocket ?????

This focus is terrible... i see what i see.
Watch this too: LINK
2018-12-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

TirexiHD Posted at 12-17 15:08
Watch the full video not only the thumbnail... -.-'

If you have a problem send it back. I watched your video, but you never answered my question.
The Crinmal bit is ridiculous.
2018-12-17
Use props
TirexiHD
lvl.2
  • >>>
Hungary

hallmark007 Posted at 12-17 15:13
If you have a problem send it back. I watched your video, but you never answered my question.
The Crinmal bit is ridiculous.

You write this: "There is a minimum distance for focusing."

This is a QUESTION ??????????

Why i need more description for this issue? You not see what i see? The device is not focusing to my battery just if i move full close to the Pocket.
You think this is a right working device? With this ridiculous slow and unusable focus???

Man you have problems with your blind forum friends...

The DJI pay for the forum users just for say: This is not issue this is user error!

Why not write this? Its User Error!
And the other 1000+ user is have user error with this focus issue...

Waiting fot the next firmware.
2018-12-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

TirexiHD Posted at 12-17 15:34
You write this: "There is a minimum distance for focusing."

This is a QUESTION ??????????

Now your just being an idiot, as I said if you feel you suffered criminal damaged goods ship it back it’s under warranty and it’s your right.
I know there have been some problems with AF , but when someone starts calling it criminal well it’s hard to take them seriously.
You have a warranty, use it.
2018-12-17
Use props
TirexiHD
lvl.2
  • >>>
Hungary

hallmark007 Posted at 12-17 15:42
Now your just being an idiot, as I said if you feel you suffered criminal damaged goods ship it back it’s under warranty and it’s your right.
I know there have been some problems with AF , but when someone starts calling it criminal well it’s hard to take them seriously.
You have a warranty, use it.

This is not warranty man...
This is the ordinary DJI negligence...

I remember my first Osmo.. have many "noob" issues (focus too) and the 10. firm update is fix all Osmo problems.
Why need to wait this many fixing? Why not tested the device before released? Why not fixed this problems before released?

DJI !!!
Why not??

Ridiculous careless company...

The DJI drone plastic coverings will break... how many user report this problem how many?
And fixed?
NO! Never fixed.
DJI only need your money and its done!
2018-12-17
Use props
UweE
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

TirexiHD Posted at 12-17 15:54
This is not warranty man...
This is the ordinary DJI negligence...

Guy, why are you shouting on everybody, who wants to help you?
If you are not satisfied, return the OP and buy a GoPro.
2018-12-18
Use props
TirexiHD
lvl.2
  • >>>
Hungary

UweE Posted at 12-18 01:44
Guy, why are you shouting on everybody, who wants to help you?
If you are not satisfied, return the OP and buy a GoPro.

Help? The refund does not solve the problem... -.-'

I not need GoPro... i need a perfect gimpal stabilized 4K 60FPS camera.
And GoPro is another s.it overpriced camera.
2018-12-18
Use props
Cameleon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 60394 ft
United Kingdom

TirexiHD Posted at 12-18 03:07

Maybe you need a pro rig rather than consumer grade? The camera use contrast detection for focus. This is never perfect, it has to hunt to get the best contrast. Admittedly, it could be A LOT better than it is now, but you can't expect that to be perfect, and it would need a faster/hotter processor which would need more space for bigger battery and better cooling. Its all a compromised to get it in something that small.

To be perfect, you need a pro camera with phase detect sensor for AF, which is basically an SLR or Canon mirrorless (with dual pixel AF). Or if you are happy with your phone AF, then use a phone and Osmo mobile?
2018-12-18
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2018-12-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

TirexiHD Posted at 12-18 03:07

Then you should pay for Ronin and buy an EOS R to put on it, yes everyone is aware of focus hunting in low light conditions , and hopefully it will get sorted I’m sure, if your not prepared to wait then you do have the option of returning it.
I’m sure engineers are working on this, it must also be said it can be worked around.
2018-12-18
Use props
JDebler
lvl.1
United States

I have been testing mine for almost a week, attempting to make videos for my YouTube channel.  I often do "how-to" videos that require shots similar to what the OP has done in his example video.

I have the exact same problem, independent of temperature, indoors, outdoors, battery charge, etc.

The simple question is:  Is DJI aware of this and are they working on a fix?

2018-12-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

JDebler Posted at 12-18 07:45
I have been testing mine for almost a week, attempting to make videos for my YouTube channel.  I often do "how-to" videos that require shots similar to what the OP has done in his example video.

I have the exact same problem, independent of temperature, indoors, outdoors, battery charge, etc.

Well again 6 million dollar question, I think it might be in people’s interest to know if dji are aware of this problem and if they are working on it.
I’m surprised moderators staying away from this subject.
2018-12-18
Use props
JDebler
lvl.1
United States

I hope they fix it soon.  Otherwise, I am going to have to return mine.  So far, more than half of the footage I have taken has "focus pumping" problems and have had to reshoot them with my GoPro.
2018-12-19
Use props
TirexiHD
lvl.2
  • >>>
Hungary

JDebler Posted at 12-19 08:05
I hope they fix it soon.  Otherwise, I am going to have to return mine.  So far, more than half of the footage I have taken has "focus pumping" problems and have had to reshoot them with my GoPro.

I showed my focus issue video to my colleagues and 9/9 say its a big s.it.
My friend's old Galaxy S5 is way better and its a 4 year old phone...
2018-12-19
Use props
fans4f425186
lvl.2
Germany

TirexiHD Posted at 12-19 14:10
I showed my focus issue video to my colleagues and 9/9 say its a big s.it.
My friend's old Galaxy S5 is way better and its a 4 year old phone...

Same here. Pumping focus the whole time in slow pannings. Waiting for fixed firmware... thats a big fail
2018-12-19
Use props
PG73
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I really hope a new firmware update comes out soon, this focus issue is a real pain and stopping me from wanting to use the OP. I would love to see an infinity focus option, that way I wouldn't have to worry about focus pumping or whether the things I record are blurred.
2018-12-19
Use props
fansd21c1eee
lvl.2
Flight distance : 13763 ft
United Arab Emirates

Is there any update on this issue? Still cant decide if im going to buy or not. Atleast a DJI staff response.
2019-1-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules