Downward sensor - rapid descend
1264 16 2018-12-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dgould
lvl.1
Canada

Took my Spark out for a flight after a recent snowfall. Launched from a parking lot, which had been cleared but still had small amounts of snow. It looks like the props stirred up some snow, and I guess the downward sensors were partly covered. The drone ascended and kept climbing, reaching about 50 feet before I panicked and hit LAND. When I did, it descended quite rapidly, and came down to the parking lot with a pretty firm bump. Can't see any damage, and after cleaning off any remaining snow I took it for a short flight, launching and landing in my hand instead of from the pavement. Things seemed to be fine, but I was definitely nervous.
Is that normal behaviour if the sensor is covered? I would have thought it would move more slowly, or stop moving altogether, if the sensor was blocked or not functioning. Nervous now about flying again, particularly taking off from ground or areas with snow.

2018-12-17
Use props
SAADHERO
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2269905 ft
Kuwait

happened to me at night in dessert it landed very fast the sensors cant see when dark and u had snow on it too so be careful nxt time =)
2018-12-17
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi, We're very sorry to hear about the unpleasant experience that you had with your Spark. However, it is not advisable to fly your drone with that kind of weather condition. Please be more extra cautious when flying the drone to avoid any issue. For more information about our flight condition requirements, please see the attached image below. Thank you.

Screenshot_5.png
2018-12-17
Use props
TheGemster18
lvl.2
Flight distance : 359413 ft
United States

Sorry about your mishap... My spark did the same thing at night.. rapid descent... I do believe it was the bottom VPS. question?  Is there a way to turn it off?  Tks in advance and good luck to you...
2018-12-17
Use props
dgould
lvl.1
Canada

DJI Natalia Posted at 12-17 09:40
Hi, We're very sorry to hear about the unpleasant experience that you had with your Spark. However, it is not advisable to fly your drone with that kind of weather condition. Please be more extra cautious when flying the drone to avoid any issue. For more information about our flight condition requirements, please see the attached image below. Thank you.

The weather conditions were good; the snow had ended, it was clear and sunny. I believe the props kicked up some grains of loose snow during takeoff and somehow got those grains got on the sensors. The lesson I've learned from this is to avoid taking off from the ground when there is any snow or anything loose that can fly around.

What I was most surprised about is how the drone reacted when the sensors were partly covered; the uncontrollable flight and rapid descent could easily have resulted in loss or destruction.
2018-12-18
Use props
dgould
lvl.1
Canada

TheGemster18 Posted at 12-17 13:39
Sorry about your mishap... My spark did the same thing at night.. rapid descent... I do believe it was the bottom VPS. question?  Is there a way to turn it off?  Tks in advance and good luck to you...

I'm not sure you'd want to disable the sensor. And the docs clearly say that the drone should not be flown at night -- it makes sense that a visual sensor won't work properly in the dark.
2018-12-18
Use props
Warriewoodlad
Second Officer
Flight distance : 625230 ft
Australia

I was flying yesterday when an afternoon sea fog rolled in. I got a message something like "sensor error, altitude not stabilised - fly carefully". Luckily, I was climbing at the time and 10 min later when I wanted to come down, the fog had pretty much cleared so my decent was normal.  l wonder if ascent would also be faster than normal at night too.

Strangely, I could not find that error message in the flight records, even using the Phantom site log decoder.

Thank you for posting your experience. I will know to expect a faster than normal decent when flying in the dark (or snow or fog).
2018-12-18
Use props
wimherman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 208556 ft
Norway

With 6 to 7 months snow, i always use some kind thing under the spark. Like a drone pad or carton.. And no problem whatsover with snow.
2018-12-18
Use props
Alex B.
Second Officer
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

If the drone has ultrasonic sensors instead or combined with optical sensors, then it doesn’t matter the lighting conditions, the ultrasonic sensors don’t need light to work. DJI had them In the mavic pro, but then removed them in the drones that they made after, WHY!???
I think that they are a good addition, since they don’t need light to work properly, perfect for night filming, or snow, or water.

Flysafely
Alex
2018-12-18
Use props
S.J
Second Officer
Flight distance : 322454 ft
India

Alex B. Posted at 12-18 05:55
If the drone has ultrasonic sensors instead or combined with optical sensors, then it doesn’t matter the lighting conditions, the ultrasonic sensors don’t need light to work. DJI had them In the mavic pro, but then removed them in the drones that they made after, WHY!???
I think that they are a good addition, since they don’t need light to work properly, perfect for night filming, or snow, or water.

75% of my desert flights were at night or at very very low light conditions. The SPARK is quite capable of flying at night without any performance issues during flight or video capture. That to the temperatures are at soaring 50 degree or more.
2018-12-18
Use props
S.J
Second Officer
Flight distance : 322454 ft
India

Warriewoodlad Posted at 12-18 02:33
I was flying yesterday when an afternoon sea fog rolled in. I got a message something like "sensor error, altitude not stabilised - fly carefully". Luckily, I was climbing at the time and 10 min later when I wanted to come down, the fog had pretty much cleared so my decent was normal.  l wonder if ascent would also be faster than normal at night too.

Strangely, I could not find that error message in the flight records, even using the Phantom site log decoder.

Your problem could be water entering in the form of snow into the electronics of the drone. It cannot be darkness !!
2018-12-18
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

dgould Posted at 12-18 01:37
The weather conditions were good; the snow had ended, it was clear and sunny. I believe the props kicked up some grains of loose snow during takeoff and somehow got those grains got on the sensors. The lesson I've learned from this is to avoid taking off from the ground when there is any snow or anything loose that can fly around.

What I was most surprised about is how the drone reacted when the sensors were partly covered; the uncontrollable flight and rapid descent could easily have resulted in loss or destruction.

I understand. Please don't hesitate to reach us back if you have further concern. We're glad to help. Thank you.
2018-12-18
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Just don't let it autoland!

Fly it down, land in your hand.

(Grab it from below, backwards, with stick down and from about your height)
2018-12-18
Use props
Alex B.
Second Officer
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

S-e-ven Posted at 12-18 09:14
Just don't let it autoland!

Fly it down, land in your hand.

That’s true, I always when I fly I hand catch and hand launch my spark and I’ve never had any problems.

Flysafely
Alex
2018-12-18
Use props
Hani
First Officer
Flight distance : 1392995 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have flown at night several times and I never had any issues.
2018-12-18
Use props
Hani
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

S.J Posted at 12-18 07:41
75% of my desert flights were at night or at very very low light conditions. The SPARK is quite capable of flying at night without any performance issues during flight or video capture. That to the temperatures are at soaring 50 degree or more.

I agree
2018-12-18
Use props
Hani
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Alex B. Posted at 12-18 05:55

My Mavic 2 shows errors with sensors, including the downward sensors as well, but the good thing is that it has an auxiliary light which turns on when it's dark to land, or you can set it on for the whole flight if you wish.
2018-12-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules