Successful registration of Osmo Pocket using Huawei P 8 Lite 2017
1574 8 2018-12-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

It wasn't a completely trouble free install but it worked using the front port with the USB-C adaptor connected to a micro usb male to usb-C female solid adaptor.

A list of things I checked before trying.

The Osmo Pockets' battery charge on opening the box. It was 75% charged.

That my phone was completely charged.

I checked my wi-fi speed to my hub on my phone which reported a 44.1Mbps download speed and a 1.4Mbps upload speed.

I checked which version of EMUI I had, which is 8.0.0
I checked which version of the Android operating system I was running which is 8.0.0
I killed all background running apps on the phone and I checked both the amounts of ram I had free and the amount of free space on the main drive, which is only 16gig, with 3gig of ram.

I had over 2 gig of ram free and 3.67gig of free hard drive space.  

I made sure Wi-Fi was enabled and that Bluetooth and NFC were also enabled. It is important that NFC is enabled for this to work.

I tried to insert my Sandisk micro SD card at this point without success. it's really hard to line up and goes in connector side facing up towards the screen. I expected it to be the other way around.  I couldn't find any information on this anywhere. Both manuals (paper and pdf) are useless in that respect.

So I connected the Osmo's usb-C adapter to the front panel, making sure it was as far across as I could get it seated.

Then I put the solid adapter onto that and connected the Pocket to my phone. Both the Pocket and the phone were switched on before connecting together.

I will say at this point that the phone, when that was connected next, left over a cm gap between the Osmo Pocket and the side of the phone. This is far from ideal and I've ordered a phone to Osmo Pocket clamp/holder and a flexible micro usb to usb -C lead to make life a bit easier in future.  

The Mimo app did not, I repeat, did not, automatically launch, so I had to open it myself and go to the page that allowed them to be connected via usb.

Once that was done my phone imediately asked if I wanted to allow file sharing, as well as charge (You don't get the option not to charge in this instance) and I tapped the 'allow file sharing' option.

I then got the activation screen come up and it was activated before I even knew it was done. It was lightning fast. The Pocket also confirmed it was activated.

I was then prompted to install the firmware update which I accepted. Immediately I was told to insert the micro SD card. Which once I figured out which way up it went, was easier to insert. I did that with the Osmo Pocket turned off. Then I turned the Pocket back on, got back into the app and pressed 'Accept' on the firmware update.  This took over a minute, possibly over two minutes, with the progress bar stopping every now and then for some considerable time before continuing.  Every now and then I was prompted if I wanted to transfer files to which I accepted every time. Sometimes the requests were quite rapid, one after another and other times large gaps between requests. Eventually I got a brief notice saying the update was complete but the progress bar was only reading 98%.

I waited another nimute or so and still the progress bar was saying 98%.

In the end I disconected the pocket and turned off the phone. I then shut down the Pocket and re-started it. I then calibrated the gimble as shown in the pdf manual and videos.

Then I went into the menu to check the firmware version. It says Version 01.02.00.20. I will check to see if that is the latest version now. (Phew, it is).

So this was a misreporting of the app and can be ignored.

After that I played a bit with the pocket menus before putting it away ready for Christmas day. My wife, bles her said I could make sure everything was ok before packing it back up and now I will have to wait for Christmas Day to put it through it's paces.

I did video all of this but what that looks like I've yet to find out and edit it down to prove I got it working ok. I will try to put the video up at some point if people will find it useful.

Last but not least.

I did all of this at my own risk, taking as many precautions as I could as these actions are not sanctified by Dji and I take no responsibility for anyone trying to reproduce what I have done. There are many risks that may well not be covered by any form of warranty. The way I connected the phone to the pocket is not the most secure way of doing it.

I did have a usable connection from the Pocket to the Mimo App and I could see that I will have some functionality from the app to the pocket, but how much functionality I have yet to find out.

The charging of the phone from the pocket may well be one of the reasons this is not sanctified by Dji and may be why a micro usb connector is not available or may never be. However, when the Wi-Fi unit comes out it may well work ok and I intend to get one ASAP.

I hope this has been of some use and given hope to others but please remember anything not sanctioned by Dji is done at your own risk.

Ray.

Ps. My spellcheck says I've made 21 spelling errors but I'm blowed I can find them. Applogies all round.

2018-12-17
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Ray. Thank you for sharing your experience with us today in registering your DJI Osmo Pocket using your Huawei P 8 Lite 2017. As of this time we recommend using the recommended mobile devices for the DJI Osmo Pocket for compatibility and reliability of both tha DJI Osmo Pocket and the DJI Mimo. Rest assure that our DJI R&D Team are testing additional mobile devices to be added on the said list. Thank you for your understanding and for your support.

2018-12-18
Use props
JanKlaas
New

Netherlands

Hello,

I am considering buying the Osmo Pocket, but i am wondering if there is any information about connecting the Pocket with the Huawei P Smart 2018? (As it has no Lighting or USB-C)

2019-8-28
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

JanKlaas Posted at 8-28 15:25
Hello,

I am considering buying the Osmo Pocket, but i am wondering if there is any information about connecting the Pocket with the Huawei P Smart 2018? (As it has no Lighting or USB-C)

It's a long time since I posted this topic above.
I would add that beyond just connecting the Pocket to my phone for activation that using my phone with the Osmo Pocket to use as a screen for video recording has been less than optimum and further checks should be made.
The phone should have a screen resolution sufficient to cope with the recording requirements of the Osmo Pocket as well as support the frame rates and resolution when using the phone itself to record video. If the phone can't record video at the same quality or frame rate, the chances of getting a stable connection to the phone are next to zero.  
Battery drain using the Osmo Pocket with a phone is dramatic dropping its recording time by at least two thirds.
Using a USB micro connection instead of a USB-C port restricts data rates between the Osmo Pocket and the phone causing lag and sometimes disconnection problems.
I can't reiterate enough that anyone attempting to use a phone, not on DJI's official list does so at their own risk.
I took a chance that I could at least activate my Osmo Pocket via my phone and it worked but I had a backup plan if it hadn't.
I was never concerned beyond that. I seldom use my Osmo Pocket if ever with my phone to use as a screen as battery consumption is a big thing for me.
There are very few phones out there that meet the full requirements of the Osmo Pocket to function as expected without issues.
As far as I'm aware, to date the official DJI compatibility list has had no additions to it since its release.
I suggest anyone thinking of using a phone not on their official list to look at the complete requirements of the Osmo Pocket and compare those to the specifications of the phone they are thinking of using before proceeding with a purchase.
2019-8-28
Use props
JanKlaas
New

Netherlands

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 8-28 22:57
It's a long time since I posted this topic above.
I would add that beyond just connecting the Pocket to my phone for activation that using my phone with the Osmo Pocket to use as a screen for video recording has been less than optimum and further checks should be made.
The phone should have a screen resolution sufficient to cope with the recording requirements of the Osmo Pocket as well as support the frame rates and resolution when using the phone itself to record video. If the phone can't record video at the same quality or frame rate, the chances of getting a stable connection to the phone are next to zero.  

Hi Ray,

Thank you for your quick reply!
It clears up a lot!

The main reason I consider the Pocket is the portability in combination with the image quality (and stability). That said, I would use the Pocket most of the time without my phone mounted, but its be a must to have the pro options..! So that would be the only reason to use my phone and connect the devices when necessary..  

It seems there have been some firmware updates within the last year, and the pro-options are now available inside the device.? So, theoretically I should be able to do the same things inside the box as when I connect a phone with the app? But... I still have to update the firmware with my phone if I'm correct? (Or is it possible via SD transfer?)

Worst case scenario. My phone won't connect via the adapter.
Is it possible to just borrow a iPhone to do the registration, update, etc.  

Thanks in advance!!

2019-8-29
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

JanKlaas Posted at 8-29 00:53
Hi Ray,

Thank you for your quick reply!

Hi Jan.
Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure updating via SD card isn't an option.
On the plus side, if you can get the Osmo Pocket to connect to the Mimo app to activate the Osmo Pocket then you should be able to load firmware updates. I use the base USB-C connection on the base of the Osmo Pocket to do both. One thing I think is important is to have a fast internet connection when updating however that is achieved. I use my home connection via wi-fi that gives me a solid 32Mbps download connection speed. Also, make sure both devices have plenty of charge, as some updates take a long time to transfer.
Yes, having the pro modes on the Osmo Pocket could be part of an update but suspect it should be preloaded by now from the factory.
Maybe someone here could verify if that's the case.  

Yes you could use another persons phone  to activate the device. That was my plan B.

2019-8-29
Use props
JanKlaas
New

Netherlands

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 8-29 02:43
Hi Jan.
Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure updating via SD card isn't an option.
On the plus side, if you can get the Osmo Pocket to connect to the Mimo app to activate the Osmo Pocket then you should be able to load firmware updates. I use the base USB-C connection on the base of the Osmo Pocket to do both. One thing I think is important is to have a fast internet connection when updating however that is achieved. I use my home connection via wi-fi that gives me a solid 32Mbps download connection speed. Also, make sure both devices have plenty of charge, as some updates take a long time to transfer.

Ah that's great!! I have a decent WiFi connection so that should be no problem.

Well I guess, i'll take the shot..   And if the USB-C Adapter does not work, i'll go over to my neighbor and borrow his iPhone to setup the camera. #ProblemSolved

Thank you for clearing this up for me!!  

2019-8-29
Use props
pubpourfabfree.fr
lvl.2
France

Hi there!
Here is my exprerience with Osmo Pocket + Huawei P8 Lite 2017.
With a micro-USB adaptator, the Mimo App open at the connection and I can record videos.
But I have some logouts, and the most embarrassing : audio is awful. I get an annoying high pitched sound...

As Ray-CubeAce said : "anyone attempting to use a phone, not on DJI's official list (only 16 models!?) does so at their own risk."
2020-6-24
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

pubpourfabfree.fr Posted at 6-24 04:00
Hi there!
Here is my exprerience with Osmo Pocket + Huawei P8 Lite 2017.
With a micro-USB adaptator, the Mimo App open at the connection and I can record videos.

I'm sorry to here that.

My experience has got better still using the same phone.  I have no idea why you should be getting a high pitched sound in your audio. I have never had that problem. I'm still getting a battery drain from the Pocket to the phone that is super annoying but other than that it disconnects seldom and is normally a product of flexing between phone and Pocket.  

Ray.
2020-6-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules